• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Origin is required to "download and install" Syndicate.

Mechazawa

Courtesy of Gaf's own frontieruk for shooting off a tweet:

woahmama5qjzh.png

http://twitter.com/#!/Syndicate/status/169253052157661184

originv9kbt.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SY9WC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

orgghj0z.png

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/1545/?page=1#post-16848

Granted, none of this is as explicit as the Mass Effect 3 FAQ, which straight up tells you that even boxed copies need to be tied to Origin, but Syndicate is an EA property so I think it's time to start reading between the lines here.

iavi

Sucks that it's Origin and not Steam, but steamworks does the exact same thing. Can't really rage.

Derrick01

Banned
Might as well complete the abortion.

I'm surprised though, I didn't think this was a big enough game for them to force it. Guess they wanted to really connect with their fans.

kamspy

Not like I'm gonna uninstall BF3 anytime soon, so meh. If it's a good game this won't stop me from buying it. Haven't had any BF3 Origin related problems. Sure I don't need the extra game app, but it's not gonna make me pass on a game outright.

Mechazawa

I'm surprised though, I didn't think this was a big enough game for them to force it. Guess they wanted to really connect with their fans.

Well, it's not like it was ever going to end up on Steam. And it looks like most digital distributors are carrying it.

So...shit, they might as well.

Ploid 3.0

Boxed copies of steamwork games need steam too right? I don't see the problem with a game needing origin to be downloaded then installed. Well unless it's the console version. PCs aren't closed systems, the publisher does what it does. People that need games to be on steam because of achievements I see, and it sucks for them. I don't limit myself, and actually prefer if it's not on steam.

DTKT

Boxed copies of steamwork games need steam too right? I don't see the problem with a game needing origin to be downloaded then installed. Well unless it's the console version. PCs aren't closed systems, the publisher does what it does. People that need games to be on steam because of achievements I see, and it sucks for them. I don't limit myself, and actually prefer if it's not on steam.

I really don't want to start another thread about this. But it's not only achievements. It's the community, the patch distribution, the in-game overlay, the fact that I can keep one game catalogue without having separate clients.

Yes, it's not the end of the world to have Origin for EA games, but I would prefer to have Steam for more that just achievements. ;)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I read the title as meaning all users of Origin would be required to download and install Syndicate, even if they hadn't bought it or could play it.

No, no, I have coffee now. I'll be fine.

Derrick01

Banned
Which will we stop being upset about first, required Origin installys or EA Online Passes?

Probably online passes. I'm already over that, but I'm never going to be ok with being forced to use Origin, aka being forced to play on console. It's a good thing they don't put out much that interests me anymore.

bedlamite

I've never had issues using Origin for Amalur and BF3, so I don't understand what all the fuss is about Origin. Well aside from EA hate and naming their download service after a studio they killed, that is, but you'd think people would have gotten over it by now. Sure I'd prefer all my EA games on Steam, but they just aren't, so there's no point raging about it when that ship has sailed.

The other shoe is finally dropping? They've got the service, it was only a matter of time that they started making use of it mandatory to play EA PC games.

I've missed any information on PC being the better choice for Syndicate, care to share? I'd much rather play it on PC if that was the lead development platform. (Origin bullshit aside. They got me locked for ME3, I'm stuck.)

PC ports are always hit and miss. It would be best to just wait and see after it comes out and read impressions of the PC version.

Derrick01

Banned
I've never had issues using Origin for Amalur and BF3, so I don't understand what all the fuss is about Origin. Well aside from EA hate and naming their download service after a studio they killed, that is, but you'd think people would have gotten over it by now. Sure I'd prefer all my EA games on Steam, but they just aren't, so there's no point raging about it when that ship has sailed.

No one's raging yet. If anything it's just mild frustration being shown.

PC ports are always hit and miss. It would be best to just wait and see after it comes out and read impressions of the PC version.

Even the not so good ports end up being better then the consoles version, only in very rare cases the port is an absolute mess.

But this is being done by starbreeze so you can expect a great pc version.

epmode

No one's raging yet. If anything it's just mild frustration being shown.
I guess I'd be pissed off if I had any real interest in this game. Fuck em for the Mass Effect 3 situation, though. I'll play that one when it shows up on Steam in the next few years. Or not.

Exuro

Can't say I was ever interested in it, although this doesn't help the chances of me possibly getting it during some sale.

Derrick01

Banned
I guess I'd be pissed off if I had any real interest in this game. Fuck em for the Mass Effect 3 situation, though. I'll play that one when it shows up on Steam in the next few years. Or not.

Yeah if this was an actual Syndicate successor I'd be pretty goddamned angry right now. As much as I thought they wouldn't pull the exclusive shit on this game, I would have definitely never seen it coming on a true Syndicate game.

I don't mind actually using Origin for games (though its redundancy with Battlefield 3 is pretty silly). It's a light program and it lets me install on my HDD and SDD as I choose rather easily.

What I will never do, especially after reading the nightmares of people getting double/triple charged and customer service doing almost nothing to correct the issue, is buy anything from Origin.

Arklite

For fucks sake, why not both clients?

If the future of PC gaming is having to boot up four different clients to play different libraries then maybe it was better off when it was all stand alone software.

Massa

For fucks sake, why not both clients?

If the future of PC gaming is having to boot up four different clients to play different libraries then maybe it was better off when it was all stand alone software.

It doesn't look like you have to boot up Origin to play the game, just to install and activate it.

scitek

Amalur requires it. Just download a cracked exe and patch it out. You can still log into the EA servers.

Derrick01

Banned
Steam required to "download and install" all Valve games and all Steamworks games.

Yes literally everyone is aware of that by now, as if it's a legitimate comparison to begin with.

Steam earned people's love and trust over years of work and improvement and treating the customer right. 3 things I'm pretty sure EA has no clue about (the last one definitely).

EA changed the name of their old service that had been around for years and already failed at least once in an effort to copy steam connect with their customers better. They have an insanely long history of treating their people and their customers poorly.

So if you're going to bring that weak ass "but steam does it too!" shit then at least try to expand on it. It's by far the weakest defense of Origin I constantly see.

scitek said:
Amalur requires it. Just download a cracked exe and patch it out. You can still log into the EA servers.

Hmm? Amalur has a steam version that is 100% EA free, with steamworks features too although the game itself is not steamworks.

Arklite

Will people rage like this when Half Life 3 comes out?

I don't think so since most PC players have Steam. Steam is large market place for a lot of different publishers. Origin segments off EA's games. It's like booting up your Xbox and then having to sign in to PSN to play CoD, a network completely separate from the rest of your games on Live.

I don't get why these kinds of stories are still news, or rather, deserve their own thread. Origin is going to be around for a while, at least.

So if you're going to bring that weak ass "but steam does it too!" shit then at least try to expand on it. It's by far the weakest defense of Origin I constantly see.

Well, if Steam does it too, then that's a pretty solid defense right there.

Hmm? Amalur has a steam version that is 100% EA free, with steamworks features too although the game itself is not steamworks.

Shhhh, let them be a rebel.

scitek

Right, but bought from anywhere else it requires Origin to start. I had a coupon that was about to expire, so I used it not realizing the game was tied to Origin. Still, I was able to download an exe and now Origin doesn't start with the game, and I'm still able to log into EA's servers, as well.

Shhhh, let them be a rebel.

I'm just saying if you don't want the game to require Origin to start, there are ways around it, and it doesn't kill online functionality as far as I know.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, if Steam does it too, then that's a pretty solid defense right there.

No it's not. People don't WANT to use Origin, most want to use Steam. Requiring Steam is usually seen as a benefit since people can deal shop, hence why there's always people asking if game ___ is steamworks.

If you have a shitty knockoff service that treats people poorly naturally they view this kind of news as a negative versus the opposite.

scitek

I have ~150 games on Steam, and on top of those, I launch every other game I own through Steam despite having bought them elsewhere. That includes Amalur, and when I started that, Origin opened too. Having two clients open to run a single game is stupid, and if I can get around it, I will.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I've had less problems with Origin since installing it for BF3 than I've had with Steam in the same timeframe. I really don't understand the frustration considering that the phone home features in Origin would exist in the game if Origin didn't handle them. Welcome to 2012, would you like fries with that?

Ploid 3.0

It doesn't look like you have to boot up Origin to play the game, just to install and activate it.

With all my Origin games so far, I never have to boot origin. I buy them from amazon, put them in my origin game list if I feel like it, and never boot it again. Which games require Origin to boot before you play? I'm guessing BF3 (online or offline SP too?), and the Star Wars game, what else?

Pimpbaa

I have bought more than a few games on Origin, don't understand the hate other than it's EA. I prefer Steam, but I will not pass on games just because they are not on there.

scitek

With all my Origin games so far, I never have to boot origin. I buy them from amazon, put them in my origin game list if I feel like it, and never boot it again. Which games require Origin to boot before you play? I'm guessing BF3 (online or offline SP too?), and the Star Wars game, what else?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning if you bought it from anywhere except Steam.

Lothars

If you have a shitty knockoff service that treats people poorly naturally they view this kind of news as a negative versus the opposite.
Exactly, It's the difference between Origin and Steam that makes it frustrating when the require Origin.

Mechazawa

I don't get why these kinds of stories are still news, or rather, deserve their own thread. Origin is going to be around for a while, at least.

We've had threads for announcing when certain games end up being Steamworks and it's just as applicable here. People base their purchasing decisions on these things and it's not hard to understand why this is news when you see people in these threads saying as much.

It's not even necessarily negative news. Botched port aside, I know I'll be enjoying my sweet, sweet Origin filled Brian Cox next week.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Origin boots itself. I just save my pw, click the shortcuts, and let the magic happen. Steam, Origin, Impulse, whatevs. I'd prefer no DRM but I wasn't invited to the meeting where the decision was made.

Aselith

No it's not. People don't WANT to use Origin, most want to use Steam. Requiring Steam is usually seen as a benefit since people can deal shop, hence why there's always people asking if game ___ is steamworks.

Origin doesn't treat people poorly. They have some messed up policies but their customer service is light years beyond Steam. Not as good of a platform of course, treat people poorly, no.

Exactly, It's the difference between Origin and Steam that makes it frustrating when the require Origin.
I am not sticking up for Origin at all. I basically went from being okay with EA again for like a 3-4 year period where they were bringing some new and different games to the table, but now they are back to their old crappy ways, but does anyone remember Steam circa 2003 and 2004? Steam was nothing but headaches, and I was in love with the idea of not being able to play my retail copy of Half Life 2 on launch day because Valve was not prepared to activate everyone at once.

Top Bottom