• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "Big culture change at Sony"; not the same folks from years back

Given Skyrim’s troubled history on PlayStation 3, we asked Hines if the decision to make The Elder Scrolls Online’s beta available first on PS4 was an olive branch to PlayStation gamers.

“It wasn’t intended that way,” Hines told us. “It was more just that when we were talking to the Sony guys, they were super excited about what we’re doing and what we can do together. They wanted to be big part of this. There’s been a big culture change at Sony. The folks that are there now, that we work with, are not the folks that we were working with a year or two ago. Guys like Adam Boyes and the team that he’s put together on the third-party side – which is who we interact with – I think are being super proactive at reaching out to us. They’re saying, ‘we love your games. I played Skyrim for 200 hours. I want to do more with you guys. What do you have going on?' Honestly, Adam was like, 'when can I come out and see everything that you’re making? I want to see everything you’re doing.’ Nobody had ever asked us that before. So just that dynamic is a little different.”

Part of a larger interview via IGN

kuroshiki

This is the reason why I can't trust MS until they do whole management overhaul. The people who tried to fuck consumers are still at the helm, and they WILL strike back, I'm afraid.

Iacobellis

This was very evident during The Verge interview with Scott Rohde. Who else can get goosebumps on camera just mentioning the name Heavy Rain?

This is the reason why I can't trust MS until they do whole management overhaul. The people who tried to fuck consumers are still at the helm, and they WILL strike back, I'm afraid.

Let's start with having people who actually talk straight. Every time I read an interview with an MS spokes person, I feel as I'm reading an advertisement

jay

It blows my mind that reaching and and being good to third parties is a new tactic for console holders. Good for Sony.

Apath

I agree completely. They need to let go of higher ups and let it be known that those kind of policy decisions are not just rejected, but not tolerated.

cj_iwakura

Victor Ireland said as much too, that the people currently at SCEA are much more welcoming of niche localizations than the SCEA that gave him a hard time over Growlanser.

Tapiozona

Banned
If MS gets a timed exclusive or some advantage its because they paid for it.

If Sony gets it, it's because they're real gamers who understand developers and appreciate their games as art.

The MS hate has reached amazing levels on gaf

Minions

Adam Boyes is such a sincere guy. Watching him on the Giantbomb after show at E3. He brought a PS4 console and controller for everyone to look at, and was really down to earth. He honestly seems very happy with his job, and very glad to be chosen to fill it.

Most "PR" people seem high and mighty. He was pretty funny and seemed like just one of the guys. I can see why he is one of the major reason Sony is more inviting to work for, and why they are able to get many third parties involved.

params7

Banned
Adam Boyes seems to have been the best thing to happen to Sony in recent times. The man lead the strategy (or at least was a big part of) to wave all fee for patching games and is basically setting a high standard on how to cultivate solid third party relations with publishers and indies.

Very fortunate indeed for the Ps4, and for us.

DigitalOp

Banned
Honestly, fuck bethesda for that travesty of a "release" you would call Skyrim on PS3. It was a completely broken product that very much so straddles the line of "playable"....

They allowed that to leave their doors and even then tried to sell it for monetary gain.

I just can't get over it. I Really can't...

Here's hoping they don't screw the pooch twice I guess.

Nah, Sony doesn't seem to be capable of getting bad news anymore.

Yesterday was the worse news day for sony since the PS4 reveal.
Bricked PS3s, launch games not peforming stable, knack looking boring as hell, online play gimped in non supported countries

and to top it all off their main competition just removed a major barrier of adoption.

Zeth

If MS gets a timed exclusive or some advantage its because they paid for it.

If Sony gets it, it's because they're real gamers who understand developers and appreciate their games as art.

The MS hate has reached amazing levels on gaf

I honestly cannot tell if this is satire.

edit: nvm

It is kind of funny how quickly the biggest disaster of a game release is forgotten when they say something nice about the guys you like.

Bricked PS3s, launch games not peforming stable, knack looking boring as hell, online play gimped in non supported countries

and to top it all off their main competition just removed a major barrier of adoption.

Online play gimped in non supporting countries? What does that mean?

Minions

Bricked PS3's I agree with, launch games not being stable is expected 4+ months from launch, most xbox one games were not on the show floor, and were shown in trailers rather than actually demo'd on stage. Knack looks great (in my opinion) and looks substantially better graphically when you don't have a crappy quality video. The game play (obviously) needs to be fine tuned, but that is to be expected. Online play being gimped, is the same thing that will happen with xbox live, so that is pretty much universal.

There is still a large difference in price (20% difference), as well as a mandatory kinect, with news storys going around about microsoft feeding all your conversations to the government via Windows, and Skype.

Top Bottom