• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month |OT 2015| Blackest Month of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

TgtCv1V.png

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. It is celebrated annually in the United States and Canada in February and the United Kingdom in October.

1QeHUPb.png

In an ideal world, the month would not be necessary, because educational establishments and the national curriculum would fully recognise and appreciate the contribution of black people throughout history. Sadly that is not the case.

The Black community uses this history month as an opportunity to share with the world its vast contributions: a time to demonstrate pride in its creativity, respect for its intellectual prowess and a celebration of its cultural identity which is far too often misrepresented, when it is not being ignored, in the mainstream.

xSu15yP.png

Well to start, I suggest visiting these three sites:
http://blackhistory.com/
http://www.blackpast.org/
http://racialinjustice.eji.org/timeline/

Outside of that, [SHAMELESS PLUG] every day at noon, I'll be posting something to do with black history and black culture on my site, popculturesocial.club[/SHAMELESS PLUG]. And of course, there's this thread.

Happy Black History Month everybody!

try not to get banned.

Courtesy of Brother Jackben, a Black History Month playlist.

But what about _____ History?

6605330143_ca665c66f8.jpg

http://racerelations.about.com/od/diversitymatters/tp/Celebrating-Cultural-Heritage-Months.htm
http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/2013/02/03/why-isnt-there-a-white-history-month/

Dai101

Banned
In all the time i've been registered in this forum i've never been regular or even checked this thread (i believe), so this year i'll be checking and hopefully contributing to this thread this year in hopes to educate myself.

Greetings from Mexico to all of you wonderful people.

Africanus

From the arrival of the “20 and odd” African captives aboard a Dutch “man of war” ship on August 20th, 1619 to the creation of this thread on February 1st, 2015. What a rich history!
I hope you all can forgive us Nigerians for the whole "selling our fellow brother into slavery" sort of deal.
When are reparations?

In all the time i've been registered in this forum i've never been regular or even checked this thread (i believe), so this year i'll be checking and hopefully contributing to this thread this year in hopes to educate myself.

Greetings from Mexico to all of you wonderful people.

Glad to have ya.

In commemoration of this month I'd like to share a quick BHM about one of the most revolutionary people in the gaming industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Zv89RaPu4

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
thought this was gonna be a troll thread but it's legit decent. good job dd.

FJ2McXk.jpg

Historic.

Good thread.
Is this from a movie or a colorized old photo?

Sad to hear that he died before he could write that book.
I didn't now he was planning on writing a book. A damn shame. I remember reading an interview where someone asked him if he still plays games and he said no because most games involve shooting or killing something, which is the same thing Dr. William Bothingham said. It looks like the old heads aren't happy at all with modern gaming to the point they abandon it completely despite being the ones that created the medium.

I know you guys are probably sick of people posting it so I won't but why exactly is the Morgan Freeman BHM quote looked down upon? I vaguely recall reading an explanation on Gaf a long time ago but i've forgotten since.

ReiGun

Langston Hughes is today's Google Doodle. It's his 113th birthday

A few of his poems:

Hope

Sometimes when I’m lonely,
Don’t know why,
Keep thinkin’ I won’t be lonely
By and by.

The Negro Speaks of Rivers
I’ve known rivers:
I’ve known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went down to New Orleans, and I’ve seen its muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset.

I’ve known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

J10

Banned
I know you guys are probably sick of people posting it so I won't but why exactly is the Morgan Freeman BHM quote looked down upon? I vaguely recall reading an explanation on Gaf a long time ago but i've forgotten since.

You mean the one where he asks "Where's White History Month?" and he says the best way to end racism is to "Stop talking about it." He said Black History is American History - that's missing the bigger picture. It's pure foolishness. Whites make up the majority of the population and control most of the wealth and government - they've clearly dominated history. Every month is white history month, including this one. Blacks on the other hand come from people who were stripped of their own culture and forced to adopt another after being treated like cattle. Black people made noise when they wanted slavery ended. The civil rights movement wasn't the result of everyone quietly waiting around for white people to stop being crazy - blacks had to continue to make noise and fight for it and are still fighting for it. Now, black people have to make noise to have their historical achievements recognized. If merely asking to be acknowledged for the good we do makes some people uncomfortable, they are free to construct a bubble for themselves in which they can ignore reality, but they're not free to drag everybody else into that bubble with them.

Mortemis

Banned
Good job on the OT DD. Gonna sub to this and keep up.

And that's a really cool google doodle, definitely one of the better ones from what I've seen. Great poems.

akira28

you forgot to mention Pentagod and Atlandis, but that was probably because you were trying to keep them secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom