• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not upgrade to Windows 10 (yet) if you are using DualShock 4

Knurek

As per DS4Windows website:

Note: same games work with the DS4 without DS4Windows (however it does use rumble etc.) Games like these can cause double input in menus (ie pressing down on the dpad moves 2 spaces) or the wrong button to do incorrect functions. To solve this, check Hide DS4 in the settings, if you see a warning in the log/text on the bottom, that means you must close said game or client that causes the conflict and reconnect the controller. (Note: Hide DS4 currently does not work in the Windows 10 Preview (very likely won't work with RTM, I'm not certain how to go about fixing this yet))

It's possible that MS really wants you to use XBone controller instead of Sony's offering.
You might want to hold off with upgrading to see if the issue gets resolved. It's not like you don't have a year to do so.

//EDIT:

Straight from DS4Windows maker:

Hey guys Im the dev of DS4Windows, basically the case is that there was a local service on Windows 7 - 8.1 that made sure the System didn't grab every device the moment it connected. Now that it's missing, the system keeps the DS4 Controller (Wireless controller) visible and still active, and being the system, it notices the controller before DS4W can hide it.

It won't affect every game, just games that support dinput, such as Dark Souls 1, Distance, and pretty much every game made in Unity. Like I said on the site, I have no idea how to fix this yet, when Windows 10 officially comes out I'll look into this more, but having tried the build of WIndows 10 likely to be the official RTM build, it seems like it will remain to be a problem.

Also sorry for the lack of updates, I've been pretty busy. I'll will be (hopefully) try to add Chinese support and some new features soon, but being perfectly honest, if I or anyone can't find a way to hide the controller on Windows 10, I can't say I'll be supporting DS4W for much longer.

Emphasis mine.

//EDIT2: Temporary workaround found:

Bear in mind this is only a temporary fix until a proper solution comes around. It is rough, and far from ideal.

Right, so I have only tested this with Dark Souls 1 so far. Currently testing DS2 SOTFS (it is 64bit, so it's a bit strange.) As I do not really know of any other games which require the Hide Controller option, I can't test with those. But they SHOULD work with this method.

1. Plug in your DS4 to your PC as you always would and launch InputMapper/DS4Windows as Admin (I use DS4Windows).

2. Hiding the controller/using exclusive mode must be enabled (actually, it might not be necessary but all I know is that it works with it on).

3. Download x360ce.

4. Open the ZIP and place the single .exe into the folder where your game .exe is.

5. Launch x360ce.exe which you moved into your game folder as an Admin.

6. It should ask if you want to create the ini and dll files required to make it work. Say yes to both.

7. It should then ask if you want to use the internet to automatically search for settings. Select that option. Then click finish.

8. This is a repeat of step 7 because it detects 2 controllers due to the way InputMapper/DS4Windows works.

9a. x360ce should detect 2 controllers now: Controller 1 should be "Wireless Controller", and Controller 2 should be "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows).

9b. This might be optional, but to be sure, open Game Controllers in the bottom right of x360ce, then click Advanced and make the "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)" as your preferred device.

10a. Back in x360ce, click the Options tab (just to the right of Controller 4) and select "Enable Combining".

10b. Go back to the Controller 1 tab and click on the Advanced tab. Check "Combine this Controller".

10c. Go to the Controller 2 tab and click on the Advanced tab. Check "Combine this Controller".

11. Click Save, and then close x360ce. You don't even need it open when you play your games, just for that first time setup.

Tizoc

Really hope they figure a work around, I've been liking DS4W for playing with my DS4 ON MY LAPPy.

M.D

Why doesn't Sony offer official drivers for the DS4? presumably something that is not very complicated or expensive (correct me if I'm wrong), and it will be a gesture of goodwill for the community and can only increase their mind-share and exposure with those DualShock buttons showing up in more places

Weird how these companies operate sometimes..

Dio

Banned
Are there any benefits to using DS4 on PC over Xbox One Controller? Or is it just purely down to preference.

Not really, because Xbone is plug and play and DS4Windows is needed for PS4.

That being said, the PS4 controller is a better controller so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Kinsella

Banned
Are there any benefits to using DS4 on PC over Xbox One Controller? Or is it just purely down to preference.

Preference. For me there's no comparison. The Xbox One controller (and 360 controller) are simply far superior. And both of those will go in the trash once the Elite comes out in October. I'll be upgrading to Win 10 day 1.

That being said, the PS4 controller is a better controller so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Lol, my preference changes depending on which one I'm using at the moment. They did a damn fine job with both.

jediyoshi

Why doesn't Sony offer official drivers for the DS4? presumably something that is not very complicated or expensive (correct me if I'm wrong), and it will be a gesture of goodwill for the community and can only increase their mind-share and exposure with those DualShock buttons showing up in more places

What would it do? It already shows up as a generic USB device when you plug it into a computer, so if games want to support it natively, they can and already do.

Programs like DS4Windows more importantly just provide the function of translating inputs so that games read them as 360 controllers since those are the standard for what's supported. Sony would never go this route.

The DS4 is plug and play.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Don't most games and game engines support directinput? Why is that DS4Windows necessary?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Ohh this really saddens me, I hope they can fix it! That tick box is so damn important.

I do appreciate all the work put into this stuff though, thank you magicians.

I have no idea. They're releasing console-exclusive games that also have a PC version too. It can't possibly be that hard to get some official drivers, can it?

Dio

Banned
Lol, my preference changes depending on which one I'm using at the moment. They did a damn fine job with both.

I place high importance on D-pads. Every single Xbox controller has had an awful disc-based construction which feels like shit.

What would it do? It already shows up as a generic USB device when you plug it into a computer, so if games want to support it natively, they can and already do.

Programs like DS4Windows more importantly just provide the function of translating inputs so that games read them as 360 controllers since those are the standard for what's supported. Sony would never go this route.

The DS4 is plug and play.

Right, that's true. The games I play don't recognize it by default without the program, though, so it's functionally true on my end.

Jomjom

Banned
I place high importance on D-pads. Every single Xbox controller has had an awful disc-based construction which feels like shit.

This.

But the biggest advantage is that there's a mouse touchpad on the DS4. That makes it infinitely better than the Xbone controller on PC.

Knurek

Don't most games and game engines support directinput? Why is that DS4Windows necessary?

Without 'Hide DS4' option, some games will have double input, since the game sees both DINPUT and XINPUT controller at the same time.

Off the top of my head - The Witcher 3, LEGO games, probably a lot more.

Fbh

Oh that's a shame.

So when does Windows 10 come out? I never got the upgrade message (I do own a legit copy of Windows 7)

Durante

Anyone tested this on Windows 10?
It's quite important to me.

Anyway, shouldn't this particular issue be rather easy to fix by intercepting the games' DINPUT access?

jediyoshi

I have no idea. They're releasing console-exclusive games that also have a PC version too. It can't possibly be that hard to get some official drivers, can it?

They don't because it's not necessary, the onus is on developers to support it the way they do other gamepads. A computer can 'see' the controller fine.

Paz

direct input can be troublesome for a myriad of reasons and the 360 pad is now the 'default' PC pad with xinput wrappers for other operating systems in place, and most methods of doing rumble on PC rely on xinput too.

We did work to make direct input DS4's work out of the box and maybe more games will do that moving forward but it's unlikely all past games will be updated with good compatibility, hence DS4Windows works as a broad solution enabling 360 pad emulation (incl rumble) on your DS4.

As per DS4Windows website:

It's possible that MS really wants you to use XBone controller instead of Sony's offering.
You might want to hold off with upgrading to see if the issue gets resolved. It's not like you don't have a year to do so.

I really doubt MS give a shit, this is down to the developers of DS4.

Theecliff

Banned
i already had the double input problem on windows 8.1 with ds4windows so i swapped to inputmapper

aw damnit looks like that's affected too :'(

How do you back out from the Free Windows 10 offer, I already activated it, DS4 is so much better than the 360 and Xbone controller its not even funny.

Dang, I won't be upgrading until they fix that then because I'm not buying an Xbox controller when I already got a Steam controller pre-ordered and a DS4.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
How do you back out from the Free Windows 10 offer, I already activated it, DS4 is so much better from the 360 and Xbone controller its not even funny.

You don't need to, it wont install the update without your permission, it just downloads it. Just don't go through the install thingie until you are ready.

madjoki

DS4 works on PCs by default.

But it works officially using DInput, while most new games use XInput (which is used by Xbox Controllers). DS4Windows creates virtual XInput controller that mirrors DInput.

Games can choose to implement DS4 & Xbox support including correct button prompts. Not common atm, it's mostly Ubisoft games and some indies.

I've never understood why this doesn't happen. Last generation they gave up the entire PC controller market by not releasing native drivers. The 360 pad became the defacto PC controller because Microsoft put up drivers on Windows Update.

Knurek

Anyone tested this on Windows 10?
It's quite important to me.

It should work as well/bad as DS4Windows/Inputmapper, since all three of them are using SCP as a backbone - some games will have double input.
The option of hiding a controller was using some system routine that got removed in a recent Win10 build. By the looks of things, it doesn't look like it will be coming back to RTM.

I play with an X1 controller so I assume it's safe for me to upgrade?

As per thread title, are you using DualShock 4?

I've never understood why this doesn't happen. Last generation they gave up the entire PC controller market by not releasing native drivers. The 360 pad became the defacto PC controller because Microsoft put up drivers on Windows Update.
They should definitely provide drivers for it but they and Nintendo don't see the extra money they could make selling peripherals and services for PC they already built for their consoles.

Paz

You can already detect a DS4 and customize your game for it in whatever way you want, not too sure what this driver would do? Unless you mean an official Sony driver that emulates an XBox 360 controller, which is what DS4Windows does.

Many new games support DS4 directly and customize the buttons etc correctly.

You can already detect a DS4 and customize your game for it in whatever way you want, not too sure what this driver would do? Unless you mean an official Sony driver that emulates an XBox 360 controller, which is what DS4Windows does.

Many new games support DS4 directly and customize the buttons etc correctly.

Can you use the touchpad without any extra drivers? All the games I've played that support it natively don't seem to use that.

jediyoshi

They should definitely provide drivers for it but they and Nintendo don't see the extra money they could make selling peripherals and services for PC they already built for their consoles.

They also don't because it's not necessary. If most developers aren't supporting it as a dinput device, no way would it pick up more momentum under another api.

Top Bottom