• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

I guess reviews are finally going up as i found 2 reviews on metacritic. More will hopefully be dropping in the next few hours/days.

Cheat Code Central - 94/100

So if you have motion sickness issues, you should probably pass on Dying Light. But if your stomach is solid and you have no issues with such things, this game offers a solid story wrapped in a cleanly created game that so far has not disappointed me. Hopefully you all will find that Dying Light is the same for you. If you want co-op gaming, Dying Light has you covered with multiple modes of multiplayer goodness.

If it’s a shooter you want, you can do that too. But beware loud noises and shortage of ammunition. And if you have ever wanted the opportunity to play as the zombie and get some payback for all the head-smashing violence against your kind… Dying Light has got something for even you. The take-home message is that Dying Light has quickly become one of my favorite zombie-killing games and I think I might just be playing this game for quite a while. Or at least until something new happens with Destiny.

Softpedia - 9/10

Dying Light is everything you wanted from Dead Island. Only instead of stepping into the shoes of a Mr. T and Ice T crossover, you’re a deadly spy or soldier, and everything is bigger and better.

The parkour navigation system is very fluid and enjoyable in its own right, combat feels pretty meaty, there’s scavenging and crafting, opponents are challenging and keep you on your toes, the graphics are great, and the dynamic night and day cycle introduces a nice shift in gameplay.

The main story has plenty of holes and some questionable decisions from the protagonists, but it’s passable, and there are also a myriad of other things to do in Harran.

From simply jumping from rooftop to rooftop looking for zombies to test your new weapon on, picking locks, wandering through the city, tracking down cargo drops, liberating safe zones, rescuing other survivors, uncovering Easter eggs and various collectibles, to studying the effect of assault rifles on crowds, there’s never a dull moment in Dying Light.

It gets many things right, it’s focused and feels really worthwhile and fun. The skills you level up give you a sense of actual progression and offer you new ways to tackle the challenges ahead.

The world feels alive and everything serves a purpose, it all comes together in a cohesive experience, with a great presentation and a ton of attention to detail. It’s not going to blow anyone’s mind anytime soon, but it’s a solid first-person open-world survival game that feels both familiar and new.

Best of all, it managed to exceed my expectations. It looks gorgeous and feels polished. Unfortunately, it’s also technically inconsistent. I died many times due to performance issues at the most inopportune moment and the cutscenes were marred by lag and freezes. But there’s a great game underneath all the unoptimized fluff.

IGN - 8.5

Beginning as a furtive, desperate survival-horror experience, Dying Light gradually and gratifyingly evolves into a fast, hyper-violent celebration of vertical freedom and zombie destruction. Its main story is unspectacular, but the memorable side quests and sheer fun of exploring its world do a fantastic job of offsetting that, making Dying Light one of the most engrossing open-world games – zombie-infested or otherwise – I've played in a while.

Gameinformer - 8.5/10

The Dying Light experience is better when enjoyed alongside friends in the cooperative multiplayer. Together, players can complete campaign and side missions, or even work together to survive the night. Adding more players to the campaign missions helps make difficult areas more approachable, and working together to explore the quarantine zone makes it a more enjoyable experience overall. You can play the entire campaign single-player if you prefer, but doing so causes you to miss out on the opportunity to challenge your co-op partners in mission-specific goals, such as finding the entrance to a building first, or killing the most zombies in the time allotted.

Despite technical and parkour missteps, the rewarding combat mechanics, well-executed narrative, and excellent cooperative multiplayer bring players a delightful time in the shadow of the impending apocalypse. Dying Light is a strong open-world zombie game that delivers a good experience on nearly every front.

Attack of the Fanboy - 8/10

A more polished and focused game than their previous effort in open world zombie games, Techland marries graceful parkour and chaotic combat in this sandbox scavenger's fever dream.

Dying Light is one of those games that could have easily disappointed. You know the type of game. The one that has a laundry list of features, none of which really work all that well. One that has a lot of things that sound ambitious, but never really pan out. It could have been that game, but it isn’t. What it is, is a surprisingly well put together open-world survival game with a lot of moving parts, all of which add up to something pretty fun to play.

It’s not going to blow your mind in terms of story, and the mission structure of the campaign is certainly familiar, but Dying Light has cohesion between its parts that make it enjoyable. The day night cycle, the deep crafting, parkour and brutal combat, Dying Light attempts to be all things to all people, and does a better job than most at it.

Saving Content - 4/5

Dying Light is the Dead Island game Techland always wanted to make. As a result, it is a gritty, more serious take than the previous game’s they’ve developed. Because of this, it is better than what has come before, but not without its faults and foibles such as repetitive mission structure and fetch quests. Dying Light is a fun excursion into the open-world with crafted melee weapons of destruction that I only wish we had gotten sooner.

Eurogamer - 7/10

As with Dead Island, multiplayer is what makes the difference. Whereas in Techland's previous games, you were simply bundled together into one game and left to make your own amusement, Dying Light displays a more curated eye for co-operative mayhem.

While playing with others, the game will serve up miniature challenges which both encourage co-operation and competition. There may be a survivor in need of rescue, and the player who deals the most damage to the zombies threatening them will earn bonuses. It may be a race to the next objective, or a fight to take down one of the larger club-wielding brutes. You can choose whether or not accept these bonus objectives, but they keep the world feeling fresh and reactive even once you've cleared the story and are just roaming around looking for reasons to get your hands dirty.

Similarly, there's also Be The Zombie, a free bonus DLC mode which allows you to invade other player's games as an advanced hunter mutant. In this form you can use tentacles to propel you through the air, Spidey-style, as well as using your blood-curdling scream to reveal the locations of human players. They, meanwhile, can use UV flashlights to sap your powers, leaving you vulnerable to retaliation. In other words, success comes from sneaking up on enemies, rather than chasing after them. With enough players, all flanking, distracting and pouncing on each other, it can be a real blast. With small lobbies, it's less appealing.

As a follow up to Dead Island, Dying Light represents an improvement on the technical front, but has lost some of its knockabout charm in the process. It shares its predecessors pace and shape, as things start on a relative high as you explore into the game's systems, but then tail off the hours tick by. Dying Light mixes up Techland's own recipe to enjoyable effect, but can't fully disguise its regurgitated flavour.

Destructoid 7/10

Thank goodness, due to a production snafu, the "Be the Zombie Mode," which was originally a pre-order bonus, is now included in the base game. It absolutely belongs there. In essence, it unlocks the asymmetric multiplayer mode, which lets you or other players fill in for zombies on the fly. It's a bit jarring since it starts a new scene and impedes your current story progress, but it does mix things up when you find yourself bogged down by a string of average quests. Plus you can turn it off if you want.

Dying Light often boils down to "Zombies: The Videogame," but it's fun to flip around like a ninja and cause havoc while you shuffle from one mission to the next. For many of you out there, that's basically all you'll need.

Hardcoregamer - 3.5/5

Techland’s latest title is by no means perfect, nor is it one of the best zombie games, but it’s solid enough to warrant a playthrough. Even though its story will leave most players unsatisfied and its open-world design is questionable at best, its phenomenal side stories and often entertaining gameplay will prevent distaste. This isn’t the next The Last of Us, and its narrative comes nowhere close to Telltale’s The Walking Dead, but the framework is in place for a generally good time.

If Techland had simply expanded upon some of the risks it took with Dying Light‘s side missions, this could have been a truly special experience. In fact, those side missions are the single biggest reason to sink your chompers into this open-world adventure. Unfortunately, for every two steps forward, Dying Light takes a solid step back. Still, if you’re looking for the game that Dead Island was supposed to be, you could certainly do a lot worse.

BioGamerGirl - 7.5/10

Dying Light is a gorgeous game across multiple platforms. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game featured a locked framerate at 30 fps, while the PC counterpart is capable of a full 60 fps and is easily the best looking version of the game available. No matter which version of the game is being played, Dying Light looks great and seems to have only the rarest graphical glitches and issues while playing. Exploring the world of Harran is a blast at first with a shaky camera while running that adds a real sense of urgency when running from enemies and attempting to get to a safe zone before night falls, though skipping through to the morning does become repetitive after a while.

The game also tends to recycle many buildings and environmental pieces to create its world, though there are plenty of walls, crates, stacks of garbage and other items that seemed to be placed with care in order to enable the player to easily parkour through stages at a fun pace.

Dying Light has issues that include a very bland storyline and some repetitive mechanics that become obnoxious after spending a large amount of time with the game, but the title is ultimately an enjoyable experience that fans of the open world action genre will be able to appreciate. Dying Light incorporates a variety of fun mechanics seen in other popular games, and nearly every idea in the game is used well and helps propel the game forward with very nice pacing.

Dying Light is also a pretty game that pushes the power of next generation consoles and features a world that is fun to explore. Dying Light is out now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Gamespot - 7/10
That a game of such wild fluctuations can still give rise to so much fun speaks well of its high points. Those peaks rise even higher when other players are involved, and you have a few friends (up to three) join you, distracting the speedy virals while you take care of a ground-pounding beast swinging his giant hammer around. Competitive zombie invasions are liable to have you tensing your muscles even further invasions when they turn the game into a nighttime arena.

This is Be the Zombie mode, and while using your tentacle to grapple your way around as a zombie is enjoyable, it is the tension you feel as a hunted human that makes these moments stand out. You can tweak your setting to allow or disallow these sudden multiplayer matches, and there's no shame in wanting to explore without distraction. But if Dying Light's nighttime pressures appeal to you, allowing zombie attacks further extends that drama.

I am rooting for Dying Light's success, even as I shake my head at its avoidable foibles. I understand it, I get it, and so I find pleasure in it even as it disappoints me, even when I land between a fence and a rocky cliff and get stuck there, even when I don't grab a ledge or pole after a jump for reasons that I can't quite understand. My dearest Dying Light, I am so grateful for your specialness, for it shines through even when I am prepared to damn you to hell.

PC Gamer - 70/100

When it wasn't tripping over its own feet—be it from technical problems or the shambling start and potboiler story—I enjoyed Dying Light. Over the three consecutive days spent playing it almost constantly, I typically came away having had a pretty good time. There are frustrations here, but there’s also an exciting movement system and a healthy if familiar list of activities to engage in.

Gametrailers - 6.8/10

There’s lots to do in Harran, lots of weapons to try out, and lots of freedom in how you choose to get around. But the major element bringing the entire experience down is the irregularity of the game’s presentation. Maps are big enough to encourage exploration but don’t feel larger than those in Dead Island despite some interesting touches in the distance. Except for a handful of people, characters look extremely generic and lip movement is rarely on track. Textures frequently pop in and out, and reflections on the water’s surface can get downright ugly.

There are also game breaking glitches. The grappling hook sometimes sends us through buildings and drops us beneath the environment, and at a pivotal point in the story the screen blacked out, preventing us from moving forward. Dying Light does have a pretty side, on occasion. Some weather effects can create an immersive mood, especially at night, and the lighting is sometimes spectacular as you transition from interior to exterior environments.

Fans of zombie survival, open worlds, and first-person shooters will find things to enjoy in Dying Light, but it’s a rough ride. The contextual movement and realistic time progression suggest that Techland wants to immerse you in Harran’s apocalyptic plight, but the game’s realism takes a hit at almost every turn whether it’s the graphics, the enemy AI, or the mannequin-like demeanor of the souls you’ll attempt to save. Jumping around and smacking zombies is fun, but we’re hoping whatever comes next focuses more on realistic living people than realistic dead ones.

Jim Sterling - 5/10

Dying Light has all the tools to be something special, but it’s so insistent on playing it safe and mimicking other successful games that it fails completely to stand out in its own way. Even the inclusion of parkour isn’t particularly special these days, since so many games are throwing it in. We have a game that shamelessly cribs its elements from Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed, and The Elder Scrolls while significantly toning down anything original, almost deliberately, to conform to homogeneous “AAA videogame” standards.

Far be it from me to speculate, but I can’t help thinking Techland had something with more spontaneity in mind, something more radical and consistently closer to what I played over two years back, before Warner Bros. stepped in and told them to OBEY the mass market trends. Whatever the motivation, the result is a game that has all these wonderful ideas crammed into the pedestrian shape of Big Budget Game Release #587,000.

Parkour. Open world. Zombies. Online co-op. Crafting. Radio towers. Zombies. Collect-a-thons. Zombies. Zombies. Dying Light desperately tries to be all of the videogames in a bid to impress everybody. If only it had tried as hard to be its own thing, we’d have had an amazing horror game on our hands. Instead, we just have another indistinct jack-of-all-trades to throw on top of the ever growing pile.

If you have found more reviews please link them to this thread and i will update the OP.

More and more sites have been doing reviews in progress. I wonder if we should link them to review threads and update the OP when the full review has been released.

Mdk7

Guys, is the game officially released on the US Store on Xbox One?
I just experience the most surreal fuck up ever: i have a review code, downloaded the game yesterday night and launched it this morning to check if everything was ok (and it was).
Now i got back from work, i switched the language to English (i'm from Italy) and when my Xbox One booted up again, the game was there as...a preorder. -____-"
I cannot play it anymore until it releases, not even if i switch back to the Italian store.
Thank you so much Microsoft.

My review in progress after 2 hours on PS4: I fucking love it . Can't wait to play more.

Feel free to add my review in progress to the OP, OP.

hohoXD123

Can't say I was expecting the reviews to be this positive, maybe I'll look into this game more.

Destiny was the best thing to ever happen to that site

You have it backwards. Their review was the best thing to ever happen to Destiny.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've never seen the back of a game box give a potential reason to pass on a game.

I mean in the major lack of any specific details. Just the most basic bullet points covered in some flowery praise. My point being they clearly wanted to rush out a "review" to be among the first.

Not that I care, it's just mildly amusing.

Yushi

i'm kinda suprised suprised at the positive comments coming out. I was honestly watching some people play yesterday and it looked like a fun co-op game.

pa22word

Is that supposed to make us feel better?
I personally do not make buying decisions based on reviews from the press, so take it as you will. I'm just laying the facts out there for people who are shocked CCC would put out a review without completing the game.

why do we need 4 threads for same thing?

|OT| = about the game itself, gameplay-related
PC performance thread = discussing performance issues and how to solve them, and performance in general
Review thread = discussing reviews

Don't know what the fourth one is, but it's the odd man out and may be locked.

Reason = so that the OT doesn't get bogged down with review talk or pc performance talk.

AsfaeksBR

The game looks really good, will pick it up in the future.
Another one to the list of "Games which reviews only came out after release date, but turned out to be good with XCOM: Enemy Unknown

pa22word

Why would you if you know they don't complete games half the time?

1. For clarification, I didn't say half the time.

2. I know the latter from people in the press who often post about the subject either here or on twitter. Each time the subject comes up there's a 30 page debate on the practice so it's kind of hard to avoid knowing about it if you were around when the subject pops up :p

3. I meant "do not make buying decisions". Typo there due to mobile posting, lol

The game looks really good, will pick it up in the future.
Another one to the list of "Games which reviews only came out after release date, but turned out to be good with XCOM: Enemy Unknown

:O Never knew that XCOM had reviews after release

I wonder why they did that

How is it that many/most of the prominent publications have "spent about five hours with the game" and have reviews in progress but the mid-smaller size sites have full reviews.

This is supposedly a 40 to 50-hour game (per the dev).

As much as I'd love to, I just can't trust the reviews of those who haven't even had the game code for 30 hours, MINUS download/installation time and the time it took up to actually type up a review.

Evilmaus

Not touching this thing until it's been out for at least a week. Maybe two. I just don't trust the way this release has been handled.

Top Bottom