• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller Warranty Extended - Revision Inbound?

I noticed last night on Reddit that people were getting their Elite controllers replaced even though they were out of warranty. I figured there was no harm in trying since one of my triggers broke, although I had my doubts since I bought the thing in 2015. Sure enough though, I started an online support chat, gave the person my info, and this morning I've already received an e-mail with a FedEx tracking number saying my replacement is on the way. I didn't even have to send in my broken controller, which was obviously a time saver.

Some people are saying the warranty is indefinite now and others are saying they were told there's a one time replacement. I can't clarify either way, but if you've got a broken Elite controller that you assumed was a lost cause then I suggest you start a chat or give support a call. I also can't clarify whether this is only available to folks in the US, but it's worth a shot.

This makes me wonder though... why is MS suddenly expediting replacements? I find the timing a bit peculiar considering E3 is around the corner. Could there perhaps be a revision to the Elite controller set to be unveiled at E3 and they're attempting to clear stock?

To those saying they've attempted to repair the controller and thus voided their warranty: I didn't have to mail mine in. I don't know if that will be the case for everyone, but if you don't mail it in then they have no way of knowing what you've done to try and repair it yourself. I see no harm or foul play here since you likely voided your warranty with the thought it was out of warranty anyway. Just give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose.

To those wondering how a warranty could relate to a potential revision: It's possible a revision is incoming since they've began to issue replacements just before E3. They're sending out $150 controllers to people without any proof that the controller is actually broken in that they're not requesting the controller be mailed in first, and they're also not charging for shipping. In my opinion, this is odd behavior for a corporation and suggests they're clearing stock for an upcoming revision. It would also make sense for the "Elite" controller to have Bluetooth as cheaper models do. Lastly, it would make another selling point for a revised Elite controller to be bundled with Scorpio.

To those wondering about shipping weight and times: I submitted my replacement request around midnight and received shipping confirmation roughly eight hours later (this morning). The package weighs 4 lbs and is being shipped via FedEx Standard Overnight.

Disclaimer: It's worth noting that some people have been asked to mail in their controller and some have not. I still believe there's a strong possibility of a revision incoming. If not, at least the initial shit 3 month warranty has been somewhat rectified.

hwalker84

Microsoft is generally pretty good with replacing out of warranty. I walked into the Microsoft store with a broken elite and had no issue getting a replacement.

Just had mine replaced last week they said they will offer a one time replacement out of warranty. I just had to pay shipping

This is great to know. I'm on my second one and the left bumper just started to go bad so i'm looking at number three...

Thanks for the heads up OP

Spasm

Good news, if true. I'm on my 4th. The first two I was able to replace under warranty, but the third one was out of warranty before it broke. I was able to keep it alive with after market bumper replacements until the actual micro switch broke.

This is the bare minimum I'd expect. After getting two of them that were defective out of the box, it was clear to me that the QC on these things wasn't up to par and a 90 day warranty just wouldn't cut it. I sent them both back.

Still don't trust it at $100+. I'll check back in on reports after there's a clear revision.

Been thinking about getting one of these....worth it?
Feels great in the hand. Durability is not there despite their marketing claims.

They're pretty good about replacing things like this. I used to work in a Microsoft store and we generally replaced controllers without question or proof of purchase. Without proof of purchase, we would usually just limit the customer to one replacement.

That being said, I'd be surprised if we don't get an Elite with some revisions. Does the current model have bluetooth support like the new controllers?

Courage

This makes me wonder though... why is MS suddenly expediting replacements? I find the timing a bit peculiar considering E3 is around the corner. Could there perhaps be a revision to the Elite controller set to be unveiled at E3 and they're attempting to clear stock?

Maybe because the 3 month warranty period initially in place was ridiculous for a premium product like the Elite controller? And it's not like people haven't had issues with it either.

This is the bare minimum I'd expect. After getting two of them that were defective out of the box, it was clear to me that the QC on these things wasn't up to par and a 90 day warranty just wouldn't cut it. I sent them both back.

Still don't trust it at $100+. I'll check back in on reports after there's a clear revision.

Feels great in the hand. Durability is not there despite their marketing claims.

I'll wait and see if they make a revision then....and only 90 day warranty...wow.

I'd wait until after E3. I really find it odd a corporation is suddenly shipping people $150 controllers with no questions asked. My controller is actually broken, but they have no way of knowing that. Whole thing just seems weird, really.

Falchion

That's awesome. I've had mine since launch and thankfully haven't had any issues with it thus far but it's nice that if I do, I can get it fixed easily.

MrBenchmark

After replacing my L1 R1 twice in mine on my own pain in the ass BTW. I traded mine in a GameStop. I'll buy a newer one once they are revised and have a better warranty. They wouldn't replace my my launch one first time L1 R1 broke two months out of warranty.

One of my dogs destroyed the cable of my Day One edition Xbox One power supply I talked with Microsoft support to buy a new one I told them the truth about what happenned they said that indeed I was out of warranty but since I have been a loyal customer they offered me a new one for free just paying the shipping, their customer support has always been good with me

Nowise10

So if I bought my controller from Gamestop over a year ago, would I be eligible? Because my right analog stick has been broken for that long.

psyfi

Banned
I'd be way more likely to buy one of these again if the warranty lasted the entire gen. It's easily the best controller ever, but I don't want to drop another $150 on something that might break within a few months.

Ultimadrago

Good news, if true. I'm on my 4th. The first two I was able to replace under warranty, but the third one was out of warranty before it broke. I was able to keep it alive with after market bumper replacements until the actual micro switch broke.

Fuck, I've been rough on some play sessions with mine from near launch and it still works very well. I didn't know the Quality Control was such garbage for it. Perhaps I'll treat it lighter from now on...

If you don't mind me asking, what made you get that many replacements with all of the breaks? What issues did you have with the first two?

Spasm

Fuck, I've been rough on some play sessions with mine from near launch and it still works very well. I didn't know the Quality Control was such garbage for it. Perhaps I'll treat it lighter from now on...

If you don't mind me asking, what made you get that many replacements with all of the breaks? What issues did you have with the first two?
They were all for the left bumper. It straight up just snaps in the middle (internally).

In fairness, I am a bumper jumper player in all my fps games, so it's heavily used, but at the same time, I've put more total miles on my Day One controller with no bumper issues at all.

Naked Lunch

The build quality of the Elite Controllers are junk. The elite bumpers are version 2 xb1 bumpers and they break, period. Every controller Ive owned with those style bumpers have broken. The new standard xb1 controllers already have a different bumper design (from my count its version 3) - these seem like they will last. Also the rubber siding on the elite is peeling off of mine too.

I really hope they make a new elite controller version with the newest bumper design, and drop the hair trigger switches on the back.

Novocaine

I actually just sent mine in last week. The up direction on the stick was starting to intermittently fail. Talked to a guy on the online chat, he checked my receipt and replaced it no problem. I bought it in November 2015 and I'm assuming the warranty was one year.

I ended up paying shipping (well my girlfriend sent it from her work via courier) but later that day I got an email with directions on how to return it for free.

Will say I'm pretty happy with it although for the price of that controller I also kind of expect a premium service alongside it.

I SiR MartY I

Neo Member

Its good but its not worth 3x the price of a normal controller. The sticks are a game changer, being able to change them about makes gaming better but like regular Xbox controllers, they're not very durable. I've had mine 2 months and the bumpers are already starting to go, a friend of mine had his 3 months before it broke completely.

Microsoft wouldn’t replace mine the first time around due to ride side dpad not working. Had to call a few times and complain before they would replace it for free…at my expense for shipping.

I truly cannot believe that Microsoft has a crap 90 day warranty on accessories. Worldwide it’s not an issue but why is that the case here in the USA? I just don’t get it.

Justinh

If there's a one-time "no questions" replacement, I might have to take advantage of that.

My rubber grips started peeling off the sides (I don't grip the controller tightly at all) and the left side is just off now, with the right side just starting to bubble up.

I don't use it anymore because of this, and because I can't use my elite controller, I've pretty much just stopped playing first person shooters on my Xbox One altogether.

edit: and Darks Souls. I've come to love the elite for Dark Souls 2 and 3 so I can run while turning my look and mapping LS to my "jump" paddle makes the platforming shitty areas in those games much more... manageable.

lem0n

Mines fucked, I took it apart to fix the thumbstick and the rubber grips are gone. Too bad the warranty is void because I took that sticker off to open it up. SIGH.

probably a announcement for E3, "Oh, and the elite controller? it now comes with a indefinite warranty, We will replace it one time if you have issues!" retroactively!

All I have to say is MS replaced my Elite, twice now. The first time was via me mailing out my defective one. The second was 5-6 months later and my right bumper wasn't working. I took it to the local MS store and they gave me a new controller. No questions, no hassle. Just here you go and I was on my way. That was a few months back.

TheShocker

I'll have to check into this with my elite. One of the thumb sticks is loose. It works fine, but is simply annoying. I was going to pay $20 to get replacement parts from MS since they said I was out of warranty. Hopefully now I won't have to.

Microsoft wouldn't replace mine the first time around due to ride side dpad not working. Had to call a few times and complain before they would replace it for free...at my expense for shipping.

I truly cannot believe that Microsoft has a crap 90 day warranty on accessories. Worldwide it's not an issue but why is that the case here in the USA? I just don't get it.

trying to understand why it is not an issue worldwide but it is on USA only
We have 90 days too in Mexico, so the 90 days affect every country, not sure about europe

Always put the receipt in the box!

What if you throw out the box?

GameStop is still offering the $50 trade in offer but I don't want to pull the trigger. I gotta assume a revision is coming and if they bundle one with the Scorpio I'll kick myself for buying one now.

Top Bottom