• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you wish were eSports, but have no hope in getting anywhere close to it.

Daouzin

As a long time competitive Melee player, I probably don’t have any room to wish for anything more. I’m part of a community that has their 15 year old game still thriving with over 25% growth at this year’s EVO compared to last year. Not to mention a kick ass documentary that is getting a continuation sometime later this year.

However, there is one game that I feel just doesn’t get enough love.

That’s Mario Kart: Double Dash.

mario-kart-double-dash-55986.725360.jpg

While I love Mario Kart 8, it’s essentially a super polished version of a series we’ve come to love.

Double Dash on the other hand is entirely it’s own thing. It’s more strategic and definitely more unique. No other racer plays like it.

Here's a basic summary for people that never played it. However, no one I know really used the mechanic where two players would play on the same kart.

Game Summary said:
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! follows the traditional Mario Kart formula. The player races through several courses in the Grand Prix, winning new characters, karts, courses, and modes.

The game also has a cooperative mode, in which one player controls each character in the kart. Up to two players or four players using co-op mode may compete in Grand Prix mode. One player steers the kart while the rear player holds an item and can throw it to the player up front at any time which also allows to hold up to two items. For the first time in the series, a kart can now activate the all new starting boost technique, the Double Dash!! This super boost can be achieved if Lakitu's Start Signal turns green and both members activate the rocket start at the same time. 3, 2, 1... DOUBLE DASH!!

Thanks to Double Dash I became accustomed to a more strategic Mario Kart. Since Double Dash, no other Mario Kart has been able to keep my interest for more than a few months. However, Double Dash was a game that I played almost every weekend for at least 5 years and then I moved to a different city and it became a game I only played every few months, my new friends not really being able to compete.

With my original group of friends, we played it only changing one rule for 4 player vs races. That was that we changed the items to “Frantic,” this essentially means that Blue shells, Lightening Bolts, Starmen and special items appear MORE often because bananas and green shells are entirely absent. I believe we originally did this because we didn’t want to take the game too “seriously,” and thought this gave everyone a larger opportunity to win.

Unfortunately, that’s not how it played out.

Instead, after years and years of play we quickly become adjusted to the game’s habits. We started to have an intuitive sense on when lightening bolts would appear, when special items were more or less likely and when we should “hang back,” to collect the “Power items,” vs actually race to win.

This created a meta game that no other Mario Kart has been able to obtain since Double Dash.

When it came to Double Dash, a number of factors became just as relevant to the game as just the “racing,” component. This made the experience extremely compelling. Only ruined by the fact that only one player could select a specific character. So you couldn’t have two Bowsers or two Peach players, etc. Which is highly relevant when each character has their own unique special item.

In Double Dash there were a lot more factors players had to pay attention to while racing.

1) Racing (Upcoming Shortcuts, Upcoming obstacles, etc. (All Mario Karts))
2) Which item to hold vs to use.
3) Which item each of your opponents are holding.
4) When was the last time you saw a power item: Blue Shell, Lightening Bolt, Starman.
5) What is everyone’s position relative to you/relative to the race.
6) Potential combos, who can you recruit temporarily to double team someone with your potential 4 items.

I haven’t played Double Dash for a few months, so I might be missing a few, but all of those can alter a race immensely. Being able to hold items as well as the character specials available can change a race’s outcome far more than what is seen in all other Mario Karts.

Factor 5 became super important with my group of friends because one of our racers refused to play any character besides the Toads which get Golden Mushrooms as their special. A special item the game can provide in ANY position, including first. This means she could get unlimited boosts temporarily at any time. As a result she could run away with a race early on if we didn’t get enough blue shells by the end of it, thankfully Frantic mode helped with this, but I still typically played a koopa troopa so I could get 3 red shells frequently and slide into second when I needed to make sure she wasn’t zooming too far off.

I also had a friend that liked to hang back and get power items. For him I choose Bowser Jr, because his big Koopa Shell could take away people’s items. In this way I could position control 1st and monitor 4th while keeping myself in 2nd or 3rd. In 2nd or 3rd I tried to find an opportunity to get into first with the right items to hold 1st or I would decide to hang back to 4th for good items while using red shells to make sure no one ever got too far ahead where I couldn’t catch up.

I could go on and on about Mario Kart Double Dash.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience with Double Dash or had another game that they wish could somehow get a resurgence?

If Double Dash ever got an HD Rerelease, all I ask is that players can all play the same character and that the game took advantage of the new hardware to keep items from disappearing off the track. If a remake was released with these changes, I could seriously watch hours and hours of Double Dash, there's so much strategic potential, it's crazy.

J.D

I agree that Double Dash is the best in the series. I felt like skill was rewarded in that game as opposed to subsequent games where you are constantly punished for being ahead. I miss that game a lot. You could dodge red and blue shells at will but it took practice and items like DK and Diddy's big banana were great to block shortcuts and had to be used strategically. I also remember feeling that if a character was driving its assigned car, it felt as it if it was faster.
That game was so amazing.

WarpathDC

NES version of Friday the 13th

For real though Devil Daggers would be a fun esport to watch even though it's not pvp.

Oh Duck Game for the hilarity.

I like watching fighting games (EVO etc). I have zero interest in watching dude Bros play fps games though

I'd watch non-cheating high level Dark souls pvp too

Lucumo

I love Mario Kart: Double Dash (best of the series). That, Melee and Mario Partys were what we most played on the Gamecube.

Usually, I went with these two guys:

As for esports titles...mhm...Sacrifice would probably have been cool, a third-person action-RTS where you play for different gods. In that regard, it actually had a lot of potential. People went with more classic RTS designs (which were really awesome as well <3 Brood War) though.

higemaru

In an alternate future, Windjammers became a smash hit and took the world by storm eventually becoming the most talked about esport in the world.

I want to live in that world.

MightyKAC

It's a crime that Bungie treats it's PvP in Destiny like an unwanted step child since it could do quite well in the esports scene.

Dark Souls 2v2 or 3v3

Lots of room for interesting strats when you group players together. Do it low SL and +7 weapons so you have to make sacrifices to get TWOP etc.

Daouzin

I miss that game a lot. You could dodge red and blue shells at will but it took practice and items like DK and Diddy's big banana were great to block shortcuts and had to be used strategically..

Yeah, the nice thing too was that since you could hold two items you could use one slot to hold the big banana while still keeping up with everyone with normal items that you could still get in the 2nd slot.

Mario Party. There is so much potential for the early Mario Party games.

I can't tell if this is real or sarcasm. I know Mario Party 2 or 3 has hidden stars. If you're serious, what changes would you make to the rules to make this viable?

Usually, I went with these two guys:

Those guys are definitely the most fun, but I suck with the heavy vehicles.

Catherine

it shows up now and again, but mostly as spectacle not taken seriously.

Agreed! I actually thought about getting into it, but I couldn't tell if the scene was serious about it or not so I didn't play it much after beating it.

Too much sass in this thread:

overwatch

Gren

Ace Combat dogfights.

Would probably need spectator cams as well as cockpit/behind the plane ones.

Especially when you play Mario Kart DD cooperatively then it gets a lot trickier when it came out my brother and I did this had to time the Z button press simultaneously to switch driver and defender.

aeolist

Banned
diddy kong was OP in double dash because he could get the giant banana peel even when he was in first place

Top Bottom