• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bet you can't find me a single JRPG protagonist that fits my dumb criteria

Ok so we all know the deal:

"Why are jrpg characters always so cookie cutter, why are they always kids of teens and why a 30 year old person is treated like a decrepit old man?"

The "Rinoa & Squall romance" thread got me thinking about so many jrpg tropes and their general aversion to trying to appeal to different audiences. For every FFVII (groundbreaking in its time) there's 400 Ateliers, Tailes of, Artonelicos, Trails in Cold Steel, Star Ocean 4s, etc out there. And then I realized something.

I couldn't think of a single jrpg male protagonist that had any sort of facial hair. I looked a whole bunch of them up. Nothing.

I know what you're thinking: "what about Barret/Basch/Sazh?"

Of course there will always be the token badass who may or may not have a random scar somewhere who's almost always the older guy who might sport some facial hair. I'm talking strictly of traditional jrpg male main protagonists of their respective games.

I'm not criticizing jrpgs for after all these years never having an MC with something so simple and real as a beard or a mustache. However I do think it's something worth pointing as maybe proof of how similar and oftentimes cookie cutter jrpg male protagonists tend to be.

See it as my response to the "bald, angry, white, straight, male with a gun, chin down and eyes up" criticism of western action games.

A single jrpg main male protagonist with facial hair, GAF. Cause I sure as hell cant think of a single one.

GO!

Finaika

image.php

Haunted

Traditional JRPG stories are very much coming of age stories, typical shounen plot of a young kid going on an adventure, clearly aimed at Japanese teenagers.

Most of these protagonists simply aren't old enough to sport a beard.

BAM

Christ. I should've known.

Mario doesn't count, cmon! The entire reason he was given a mustache to begin with was because in 1981 Miyamoto couldn't draw a mouth on the character, but I digress.

Mario isn't a jrpg protagonist. He's started in some spin offs but you know what I meant by jrpg protagonist!

Ok new rule: a male protagonist with facial hair that STARTED and/or ORIGINATED from a jrpg.

Dark_castle

Mario doesn't count, cmon! Step it up. The entire reason he was given a mustache to begin with was because in 1981 Miyamoto couldn't draw a mouth on the character.

Mario isn't a jrpg protagonist. He's started in some spin offs but you know what I meant by jrpg protagonist!

Ok new rule: a male protagonist with facial hair that STARTED and/or ORIGINATED from a jrpg.

As I already posted, Darril Traubel from Front Mission 4. He really is the only one JRPG protagonist in history to sport facial hair.

Guess Who

Banned
Find Me A Single JRPG Protagonist That Sports Facial Hair And Also Runs Fast Enough To Catch Up To My Arbitrary, Ever-Moving Goalposts

Mario doesn't count, cmon! The entire reason he was given a mustache to begin with was because in 1981 Miyamoto couldn't draw a mouth on the character, but I digress.

Just keep adding rules so it matches your point :)

Carl

Read the OP.

I specifically asked for a main jrpg protagonist. As in THE main one of the story. Snow, or Barret, or Basch or Sazh don't fit the bill.

"Are there any with facial hair apart from these ones which i'm disallowing"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Closest you'll get to an (action) JRPG protagonist that forgoes a lot of the male tropes associated with manga/anime is Papa Nier from Nier.

nier-u.jpg

Cos he's a rad ugly old dude.

TheMoon

Additionally, they have to have the facial hair while in the role of protagonist, not after. Otherwise Isaac (Golden Sun) and Aleph (Shin Megami Tensei) would count.

So many random rules to disqualify games. :D

I guess Xenoblade X doesn't count because you can make your own character...

As I already posted, Darril Traubel from Front Mission 4. He really is the only one JRPG protagonist in history to sport facial hair.
Ok you found one. I did say traditional jrpg, though. FM4 is a tactical RPG but you might've found the one and only main male protagonist with facial hair that's not fucking Mario or a girl in drag.

One single jrpg protagonist from a traditional, non-tactics, game with facial hair. We found so far a single one from a TJRPG.

20 posts in and all but 1 have been jokes or bending the rules. It goes to show how difficult (impossible?) is to find one that fits the bill.

Golnei

I guess Xenoblade X doesn't count because you can make your own character...

Character creators are probably disqualified as well. Though it would be interesting to see how many JRPG character creators are limited in that regard - the Fire Emblem 12-14 avatars' lack of facial hair or skintone options is kind of jarring, for example.

I'm sensing a moving goalposts title change.

It's well known that protagonists in JRPG's are usually on the young side, to show this off they generally won't have much or any facial hair. I'm not saying this is good as I love seeing a manly beard on a character, but it doesn't have to be the main character.

If you want beards you should play Dynasty Warriors, it's not an RPG but you'll sure get your fill of facial hair.

Ok you found one. I did say traditional jrpg, though. FM4 is a tactical RPG but you might've found the one and only main male protagonist with facial hair that's not fucking Mario or a girl in drag.

One single jrpg protagonist from a traditional, non-tactics, game with facial hair. We found so far a single one from a TJRPG.

20 posts in and all but 1 have been jokes or bending the rules. It goes to show how difficult (impossible?) is to find one that fits the bill.

Mine has stubbles! That's two!

You need a title edit OP.

Carl

Think it just shows how much the goalposts have moved ;)

Top Bottom