• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
So who collects these models? Be it gundam mechs, or just lady figures.

How many do you have and do you have pictures of your collection? Typically how much do you spend on them, and how much would you spend?

I've just found myself firmly on the wrong (maybe right) side of the otaku line, after having spilled 200 beans on a chun li figure.

Awesome, beautiful figure, but still. What. the. fuck.

But nonetheless, I shall not regret! Ridiculously pricey, and expensive, but also rare as all get out; http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=794

PH1157740259.jpg

A big fan of the sculptors works (also eyeing closely his Ino figure, and maybe the cammy one.)

The Chun Li one looks deadset accurate to the sculptors pictures. Every last detail of the figure is replicated, which is good.

The Ino one actually looks to be an improvement over the one in his gallery which is great. And its significantly cheaper than the Chunli model.

The Cammy one on the otherhand is some what inaccurate; the face on the one in his gallery is much softer... owing to the fact that he's modelled the eyelashes on, but the painted ones look... kinda harsh. I love the soft look... but, not sure about the sharper, edgier look. It's otherwise a pretty perfect figure though.
Something annoying about this model is that... there are black versions of it available off ebay for something like 35 bucks... and it looks pretty good. But it's black. In fact, I even prefer the face on the black one.
However, I get the feeling if I do get that version, I'll end up looking at it and wishing it was the standard color.

If I do go with that... I'm in... too deep. I'll have a figure collection! And I'll have spent ridiculous amounts! So what to do GAF? Embrace the inner nerd and display girly models proudly, or just live down an impulsive $200 purchase and nod knowingly as if it were some exclusive art piece if anyone asks about it?

careksims

I wish I got that Chun. I do have that Cammy. Bought her for $25. I do collect figures. I'm embarassed to say I have like over 50 figures (Anime and VG gals). Cost me over $700+ but this was collecting over several years.

I have a nice sold out Nami from One Piece and a couple of Sabers from Fate/Stay Night. I love the maid version.

Highest I pay is around $150 and I'll never pay a figure that is over $200 though.

Zaptruder

Banned
Got any pics of your collection?

Do you manage to keep it classy? Or does your place just end up looking like a shrine to ward out the females?

sky

densha.jpg

A lot of figures look really cool... but I don't think I'd actually buy them.
It's easy to get carried away and a huge collection tends to look tacky.
Unless you keep it contained to a "geek room".
The only one I have out is the ff12 judge, which seems to fit it alright. :)

tokkun

figures.jpg

I've never spent more than $60 on a single one, though. If I were going to drop $200+ on a figure, it would have to be this:

PH1180058417.jpg

Kade

I prefer the bearbricks and stuff.

I'm getting back into the Gundam stuff. I used to paint them the default colour, but now I'm gonna try and experiment with different colours and whatnot.

Dali

I've never bought any models or figures, but I was tempted to get the Perfect Grade Gundam Wing Zero when I saw it. I'm not even a Gundam fan, but I like putting stuff together and it looks pretty damn cool.

PGZero.gif

The skeleton looks fun to put together. It even has a little bit of electrical for the eyes and I think maybe the orb on its chest. All for the low low price of around $200. That's when it was still being manufactured, which I don't think is the case any longer.

Alpha_eX

Got these yesterday,

cactus_pups_2.jpg

Still got 7 unopened Spider Baby Boom (ones at back) waiting to be opened on xmas day, they're blind box so hopefully I get the rest of the set! The ones at the front, Cactus Pups, I have the full set of those.

Figures like this are great, really help liven things up on my other wise boring desk. I also have over 200 Pikmin figures :lol

merch_slime_ryuk.jpg

Ryuk and Dragon Quest Slime figures.

merch_zelda_ph.JPG

Zelda Phantom Hourglass figures, need the Dark Nut one to finish the set.

taiko_plushie.jpg

Two Taiko Plush Dolls and the Sony Cat Mascot, forgot the name.

Most of my stuff is game related.

Ronok

I've got lots of figures.... Most of them are small 3" figures, but, I've got a 20" cloud on the way right now........ I've also got quite a few 5-10" figures. I'll try to find the last picture I had of them, but, that was a while back. :-/

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really 'collect' figures although I have bought quite a few Lost figures (Locke, Jack, Kate and Sawyer-also plan on buying Charlie, Mr Ecko, and Ben.) I also own a Marv from Sin City action figure, and a deluxe talking Eric Cartman figure.

srst

I collect 1/6th action figures, mostly Hot Toys. I have several anime statues too. My latest one is Donne Anonime.

40197369es4.jpg

12367214bg7.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
Dali said:
I've never bought any models or figures, but I was tempted to get the Perfect Grade Gundam Wing Zero when I saw it. I'm not even a Gundam fan, but I like putting stuff together and it looks pretty damn cool.

PGZero.gif

The skeleton looks fun to put together. It even has a little bit of electrical for the eyes and I think maybe the orb on its chest. All for the low low price of around $200. That's when it was still being manufactured, which I don't think is the case any longer.

yeah, i've got that. 16 hours to build it, and it's a pain in the ass to keep together. i'm thinking of reverting it to the skeleton which is all metal.

the lights in mine no longer work cause you've got to manually do the wiring, and it's so small and precise it's a pain in the ass.

ah to be young and able to spend large amounts of money on model kits again...

I really like to build my models and I rarely buy ones that are for display purpose only.

I have a bunch of Gundam models that ive built over the years.

Koshiba

srst said:
I collect 1/6th action figures, mostly Hot Toys. I have several anime statues too. My latest one is Donne Anonime.

I don't know who that is.. But I love that figure. :D I don't have any pictures of my figures right now but I do collect them. They're all packed away right now sadly. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Linkzg said:
I really like to build my models and I rarely buy ones that are for display purpose only.

I have a bunch of Gundam models that ive built over the years.
Whats the difference between that Zero Wing in your gif and the typical Gundam models?

You mentioned electrical lights, I wish mine had electrical lights. x.x

Apharmd

Dali said:

PGZero.gif

Dali:

Get the 1/100 Wing Zero Custom Master Grade instead. It's smaller in scale, but it has a skeleton as well and is engineered with more modern technology.

Around 42 bucks without shipping.

Apharmd

Halycon said:
Whats the difference between that Zero Wing in your gif and the typical Gundam models?

You mentioned electrical lights, I wish mine had electrical lights. x.x

The difference is that the Wing Zero in there costs about 200 bucks. For 200 bucks it better damn well come with every feature they could think of in a plastic model kit.

Wired

Well, I only have a single statue, just had to get it once I saw it:
page-5064.jpg

And I also have a couple of Revoltech posable figures as seen here (they are in more awesome poses now though, old pic):
stuffoctober2.jpg

And that's it, I'm pretty normal.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ferrio said:
None of these are purchasable are they? I only have 3 really (Athena, Shermie, BLue Mary) and a bunch of small plastic ones.

Ah crap she's sold out :(

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/444

Poison is definetly easy enough to find if you look around for it.

The Chun Li one was bastard hard, which is a large reason I was willing to put down 200 for it as soon as I saw one. It doesn't help that it was released last year some time.

http://www.jlist.com/SEARCH/poison/1/
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10063360
http://buyeng.ebay.com.hk/buying/hk...MATO-Capcom-Girls-Collection-Poison-StatueNEW

That all turns up pretty fast when you search for "yamato capcom girls poison". When you do the same for Chun Li, it comes up with a bunch of other Chun Li models.

LuCkymoON

Banned

Amir0x

Banned
where'd you get that Mario from?

I ordered the FFIII/FFTactics Trading Minis, plus I have a ridiculously large collection of LOTR statues (cost thousands).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
2132647002_dc3ce9619e_o.jpg

2132646908_a0d90a1caf_o.jpg

2132646816_00642db808_o.jpg

judge02.jpg

Yea...It's kind of a sickness...

012.jpg

022.jpg

denden09.jpg

den06.jpg

den04.jpg

den05.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Halycon said:
So uh, where do you live? And more importantly, can I come over?

I live just outside of Osaka.

Yea sure, come on over. I'll tell the guards I'm expecting guests.

ninj4junpei said:
:O Where'd you get that HUNK statue?

Yodobashi Camera in Osaka. They had a whole series of RE action figures. It was pretty cheap too. 2000 yen.

thetrin

Linkzg said:
the only Gundam model you have is from seed? well, atleast you have Char there to counter it.

It's the only Gundam model I have _In japan_.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I buy them-- it's all my friend's fault that I'm into this! I didn't have anything until he introduced me to Japanese recycle shops and being able to find toys and games cheap. Now I know the locations of all the recycle and toy shops in town. :lol My wife doesn't mind me buying figures, but doesn't understand why. I just make sure not to go crazy on the prices; usually if you hunt around, you can get figures cheap. Most of the larger ones I've bought have cost me 3000 yen at the highest, but most were around 900-1500 yen each. The large Iroha and Mai figures are the most expensive ones I've bought at 4000 and 7800 yen each. I plan on selling some of these off later on, hopefully for a profit...already seen shops selling some of the ones I have for double what I paid for them. There's one shop in town that even lets you rent out space to sell your own stuff.

2132720328_44287330d1_b.jpg

2132722538_b97ebd0210.jpg
2132722754_c43ab4e3df.jpg

2132719852_52aa34bbc2.jpg
2131944507_9914484060.jpg

2131944011_5815af3c73_b.jpg

2131943553_bbb471202b.jpg
2132720680_de7504e2d2.jpg

2132722286_e63e1e4fe6.jpg

Finding MALE VIDEO GAME figures is next to impossible. :lol

I want the next place I move into to have at least one more room available. I need a "nerd room" for all my junk.

thetrin

Apharmd said:
am i the only one who collects only mecha and no female figures

Look at my pics. I have hardly any women.

Koshiba

Lyte Edge said:
I buy them-- it's all my friend's fault that I'm into this! I didn't have anything until he introduced me to Japanese recycle shops and being able to find toys and games cheap. Now I know the locations of all the recycle and toy shops in town. :lol My wife doesn't mind me buying figures, but doesn't understand why. I just make sure not to go crazy on the prices; usually if you hunt around, you can get figures cheap. Most of the larger ones I've bought have cost me 3000 yen at the highest, but most were around 900-1500 yen each. The large Iroha and Mai figures are the most expensive ones I've bought at 4000 and 7800 yen each. I plan on selling some of these off later on, hopefully for a profit...already seen shops selling some of the ones I have for double what I paid for them. There's one shop in town that even lets you rent out space to sell your own stuff.

Finding MALE VIDEO GAME figures is next to impossible. :lol

I want the next place I move into to have at least one more room available. I need a "nerd room" for all my junk.

I love you for that Lum figure. :0 And where'd you get the Ranma ones? I haven't seen Ranma ones anywhere. You live in Japan? You should totally help out people like me with finding cool stuff and importing. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom