• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most readable font?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

I guess it depends on what you're reading (paper vs. screen). Apparently book editors prefer printed manuscripts to be in serif fonts like Times New Roman or Courier. But I think it's a closer call when reading on a screen.

On my Kindle Fire, I've tried Times New Roman, Georgia, and Verdana. They all have their pros and cons and I can't really decide! So, GAF, what font do you prefer? (Not just for e-readers either -- emails, instant messaging, etc.)

Ariel is best.

Ariel?

ARi5l.jpg

Calibri.

I went through all of college using that. Best part is, no teacher noticed that it wasn't Times New Roman, and Calibri is a BIGGER font than Times New Roman, so I typically got an extra half to a full page solely based on the font being bigger than Times New Roman.

Fucking amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Helvetica's pretty good, but inherently overrated. I like Calibri a lot and it's probably the best Microsoft sans font. Consolas/Inconsolata is my choice for monospace, and maybe my favorite overal... like them a lot. I default to Verdana on my text-heavy websites since it literally can't be beat on low-res monitors.

Adobe's Source family is quickly becoming my favorite of all time though.

Source Code Pro:

SourceCodeSplash.png

Source Sans Pro:

SourceSplash.png

Best part is they're open source (lol) and on GitHub.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Droid,

not neccesarily the prettiest but the best on small screens

I was gonna say, Roboto is pretty much hands-down superior on mid-high res screens. :p

Droid was pretty good, probably didn't need replacing, but Roboto is prettier.

zoku88

Helvetica's pretty good, but inherently overrated. I like Calibri a lot and it's probably the best Microsoft sans font. Consolas/Inconsolata is my choice for monospace, and maybe my favorite overal... like them a lot. I default to Verdana on my text-heavy websites since it literally can't be beat on low-res monitors.

Adobe's Source family is quickly becoming my favorite of all time though.

Only has Latin characters, therefore not readable in all languages and therefore cannot be most readable :p

I kid. I really wanted to use Source Code Pro as a terminal font. But need more than Latin.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Only has Latin characters, therefore not readable in all languages and therefore cannot be most readable :p

I kid. I really wanted to use Source Code Pro as a terminal font. But need more than Latin.

After going back and forth over it a lot, I still think I like Inconsolata more for programming. Source Code Pro, today, is just too wide for each character.

Iksenpets

Banned
220px-BaskervilleSpec.svg.png

Baskerville is super classy, and research suggests that people are more likely to believe things written in Baskerville than in other fonts.

zoku88

After going back and forth over it a lot, I still think I like Inconsolata more for programming. Source Code Pro, today, is just too wide for each character.

Just saw some pictures and it looks good. I think I'll try it out.

Looks like it's included in google-webfonts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom