• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HyperX Cloud 2 is an amazing headset

Nokterian

So i got this bad boy just 2 weeks ago i needed a new one for a long time anyway but also for The Division on PC and other games i have read most reviews one was sticking out and i do trust the most is hardware.info a belgium/dutch website where i get most of my gear and compoments for my pc there reviews are solid. A few people i know where saying best headset with great value. And holy shit did it deliver believe me i had a lot and lots of headsets on PC in the last couple of years but this one takes the cake.

2.1 sound is already amazing but clicking that button for 7.1 surround changes it all. I still need to test it on PS4 through the controller. I heard it was also very good i am going to test it with Black Ops 3 i got the playstation headset also but i hear that it works very good on PS4.

What you say gaf? Do you have it also this headset and are you happy with it or do you have another headset in same or better quality you like?

Corpekata

Banned
I kinda hate it. I'm not an audiophile but I've found the sound quality kinda shitty, which I wasn't expecting. It has a problem with a term I just heard recently, sibilance, where it has that nasty sharp s sound. Sounds very tinny.

Or maybe I got a bad headset. Either way it ended up giving me a headache. I actually meant to return it but put it off too long and missed my window.

Arulan

They're a fantastic headset, but only because the bar for headsets is extremely low, and these at least are based off of decent headphones.

A good pair of open headphones and a separate mic are significantly better.

They're a fantastic headset, but only because the bar for headsets is extremely low, and these at least are based off of decent headphones.

A good pair of open headphones and a separate mic are significantly better.

Truth.

I bought these and they sound far better than any "gaming headset." And no, I'm not saying that just because it's the cool thing to say. They genuinely are vastly better in everything.

Superlux HD668B:
http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

These are merely $40 and they outperform any gaming headset at any price range. Period.

Now imagine spending $100 on an audiophile headset and they will outperform mine even more. Gaming headsets are just a horrible sham.

pahamrick

Love mine.

Will note I had some serious sound quality issues when connecting through the USB dongle until I upgraded the dongle's firmware to the latest (Mine had 1.3, 1.5 is the latest when I last checked.)

Fixed the issues I was having for the most part.

JBwB

I'm considering buying this headset as a dedicated headset for my PS4 since I've heard nothing but praise for them.
Just curious, is that USB dongle that comes with the Cloud 2 able to be used with other headphones?

Corpekata

Banned
Love mine.

Will note I had some serious sound quality issues when connecting through the USB dongle until I upgraded the dongle's firmware to the latest (Mine had 1.3, 1.5 is the latest when I last checked.)

Fixed the issues I was having for the most part.

Will try this, I looked for drivers and whatnot but couldn't find any, guess I didn't look hard enough.

I'm considering buying this headset as a dedicated headset for my PS4 since I've heard nothing but praise for them.
Just curious, is that USB dongle that comes with the Cloud 2 able to be used with other headphones?

Yep, standard 3.5mm jack.

Ecto311

Do these do well with the new "Windows sonic" sound stage software or is the dongle still the best way to get the 7.1 fake sound?

Do the velour pads help with making them sound more like open headphones? I am looking for a closed set under $100 with a mic and these keep popping up as the best option. I have the cores but no velour pads to test with.

Love my set, didn't feel like spending a ton on a headset and they're great for the price.

Does it work well with consoles? I am realizing my XO Four Stealth is actually shit and should be replaced.

In my experience it works great with consoles, mic quality is pretty solid (according to others I chat with) and the sound quality is good as well.

Truth.

I bought these and they sound far better than any "gaming headset." And no, I'm not saying that just because it's the cool thing to say. They genuinely are vastly better in everything.

Superlux HD668B:
http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

These are merely $40 and they outperform any gaming headset at any price range. Period.

Now imagine spending $100 on an audiophile headset and they will outperform mine even more. Gaming headsets are just a horrible sham.

I have these and a mod mic can't beat them for the price.

Come on guys.

The HyperX isn't a 'sham' and it's great value for money.

The sound signature fits gaming + chat well. Ease up on the audio snob shit.

OP, you're right. Glad you love yours too.

JWiLL

Banned
While I quite like my Cloud 2s and they're easily the most comfortable gaming headset I've ever owned, there are a few very glaring flaws.

First and foremost...NO SIDETONE (ability to hear yourself through your headset). How a headset like this, which does a pretty damn good job of cancelling outside noise, doesn't support sidetone is beyond me. All Turtle Beach and Astro headsets have this. Talking without being able to hear yourself is just...odd. It makes controlling your voice volume a bit difficult as well.

The microphone is also pretty damn poor. It's "tinny". I've since upgraded to a Samson GO Mic + stand since I stream a bit, which has been fantastic, but it wouldn't have been necessary if the Cloud 2s mic was just a bit better. The voice quality wasn't even the biggest issue, it was the inability to find the right placement for it to be consistently loud enough. You either sounded too far away, or everyone would be able to hear you breathing. There didn't seem to be a middle ground that was easy to find.

I'm quite liking my Cloud + GO Mic combo, but damn do I want some sidetone.

hitgirl

I bought the elite version for Xbox one to use with my PC since I didnt want simulated surround. It has a simpler wire with just a volume control and a carrying case. Its super comfy headset I do agree, appreciate the velour cushions added. The build quality is excellent too. That's the two best parts and what they focused most the features of the headset on. Sound is average, still great for the price though. Don't expect it to sound better than anything from the higher quality headphones mfg tho.

I use mine plugged into my Xbox I controller then Xbox one controller wireless with the PC dongle. So essentially it'd a wireless headset. Really enjoy the simplicity in this and I'm done headphone shopping. My wireless senheisser rs185 sounded way better but were 3x the price, had an extra piece of equipment I had to keep plugged in, and had no mic.

As others have already, nothing can beat good studio headphones and a mod mic. Though this is a pretty ok for gaming headsets.
These things (XC2) go for 70-80 bucks now.

Considering the build quality, what's inside the box and how it all fits together, you can't beat that price with studio headphones+ mod mic.

Tabasco

Tried the Cloud II and sent them back.

Just wasn't as happy with it as I am with my HD 555 with well over 5 years of use and still working. Got a mod mic on it and the setup does the job for just audio and voice chat.

I've been thinking of trying a wireless headset but have held off.

I actually found it hard to use the Cloud 2 for some games and especially movies and music after I just started using my Fidelio X1s instead. In terms of sound space and quality, the Fidelios just crap all over the Cloud 2s. I just use my Web Cam mic for talking when using my Fidelios so I don't even feel like I'm missing out on any features. I feel like I've been wasting money and time on gaming headsets all this time when I should've just been using a pair of good cans.

I actually found it hard to use the Cloud 2 for some games and especially movies and music after I just started using my Fidelio X1s instead. In terms of sound space and quality, the Fidelios just crap all over the Cloud 2s. I just use my Web Cam mic for talking when using my Fidelios so I don't even feel like I'm missing out on any features. I feel like I've been wasting money and time on gaming headsets all this time when I should've just been using a pair of good cans.

Those cost like three times as much as the HXC2 and they're not nearly as suited to gaming out of the box.

Really surprised they sound better :/

Those cost like three times as much as the HXC2 and they're not nearly as suited to gaming out of the box.

Really surprised they sound better :/

For games that support Dolby Atmos like Overwatch, the Fidelios are amazing. I got lucky with those cans because I got them half off in a lucky Amazon sale.

Oublieux

Have them.
For a headset they are fucking awesome.
As headphones...nah... Invest in some Sennheiser.

I don't consider myself as serious an audiophile others. However, I have bought and used headphones covering Grados, Denon, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, and Sony brands; but, I always come back to my Sennheiser HD598's for gaming, media, and music.

Sound is a very subjective preference, but I love Sennheiser's sound signature. It's warm and velvety. And, bar none, it is still the most comfortable pair of headphones I use. With a slight tweak, I combined it with the V-Moda Boom Pro Mic and it's great for gaming as well.

Mechazawa

It's probably one of the best values in gaming in terms of jumping into entry-level audiophile cans that also happen to be ultra convenient for voicechat.

I can never go back to closed-back headphones, though.

My SteelSeries Siberia 800 headset is still holding strong:

8c80bc32963447279c14f51379c0f74f.png.1000x575_q85_crop-smart.png

One of the very best gaming headsets on the market IMO.

NeoRausch

I don't consider myself as serious an audiophile others. However, I have bought and used headphones covering Grados, Denon, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, and Sony brands; but, I always come back to my Sennheiser HD598's for gaming, media, and music.

Sound is a very subjective preference, but I love Sennheiser's sound signature. It's warm and velvety. And, bar none, it is still the most comfortable pair of headphones I use. With a slight tweak, I combined it with the V-Moda Boom Pro Mic and it's great for gaming as well.

Once you had a good pair of Sennheiser... You never go back.
As you said, they are damm comfy (but can get rather warm with the standart cups) and the sound Ist just perfect (at least for our taste).

deadlast

How do you guys feel about the Sennheiser - HD558? They are 80 at Best Buy right now. My gaming headset experience has sucked so far, so I'm look at these.

How do you guys feel about the Sennheiser - HD558? They are 80 at Best Buy right now. My gaming headset experience has sucked so far, so I'm look at these.

I think you can do a lot better for a little more cash.

Many higher-end Sennheisers are often on sale for around 100 dollars. I'd suggest you wait for one of those.

I like them, the first dongle it came with had crackling issues but the UK CS was great and sent me another one and it's worked perfectly since then.

And also unlike most 'gamer gear' I like how it looks, it's not overly tryhard or tacky.

It also matches my hyper x RAM so wooo I guess.

My only issue with these things is that without the dongle the cord is super short.

I did a video review on these things a while back. They don't do real 7.1 or even simulate 7.1. Very nice headphones, build quality was good, just not real surround.

Whatever it uses it does help me get the jump on people in overwatch by letting me know where they're coming from so it works well enough.

I love my Hyper X Cloud 2 headset, decent price for the quality too. I use them with my PC, PS4 and mainly for PSVR, so they get plenty of use. They sound great in Stereo or 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound mode, no regrets buying them at all.

jsnepo

Not really a headset but I love the earphones that comes with the PSVR much more than the Hyper X Cloud 2.

I thought about getting one when I decided to upgrade from my Logitech g430s, but after some research I decided to invest more and got a pair of open Sennheiser HD598s and a Snowball Ice mic. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Since we're all throwing our suggestions into the hat, I personally use the Sennheiser Game One. I have not used the Cloud 2 so I cannot compare, however I've always been a fan of the Sennheiser sound and the built-in mic has been fantastic. I've used it for some light recording through Audition and my voice is extremely clear and static/background noise free.

They are open-back with velour headpads, which is also almost a necessity for me. I attended a 3-day LAN party back in January and had these on almost the entire weekend. My head didn't sweat or ache from wearing them non-stop.

I have used them exclusively on the PC. They do seem to be a bit expensive right now though. They're showing at $175 on Amazon currently but I picked them up last year for $130, so I'm not sure why the price has increased.

Since we're all throwing our suggestions into the hat, I personally use the Sennheiser Game One. I have not used the Cloud 2 so I cannot compare, however I've always been a fan of the Sennheiser sound and the built-in mic has been fantastic. I've used it for some light recording through Audition and my voice is extremely clear and static/background noise free.

They are open-back with velour headpads, which is also almost a necessity for me. I attended a 3-day LAN party back in January and had these on almost the entire weekend. My head didn't sweat or ache from wearing them non-stop.

I have used them exclusively on the PC. They do seem to be a bit expensive right now though. They're showing at $175 on Amazon currently but I picked them up last year for $130, so I'm not sure why the price has increased.
I forget which Sennheiser set the G1 is based on, but for that price you're definitely better off with a separate set with mod mic.

Top Bottom