• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez + Theatrhythm = Groove Coaster 2 (iOS/Android) |OT|

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Important: in case you previously bought DLC on Groove Coaster Zero, by linking your existing Taito ID you can get all your purchases back!

Info20150312_JP.png

Summary:

• Developer: Matrix Software
  • Publisher: Taito
  • Platforms and Release Dates:
    • Arcades: May 26, 2014 (Japan-only, released as Rhythmvaders EX)
    • iOS: Jul 1, 2015 via update, replaces Groove Coaster Zero
    • Android: Jul 1, 2015
  • Requirements: iOS 5.1.1, Android 4.1.0 or higher
  • Official Websites: Japan | International
Gameplay (Shameless copy from the website):

Info20150624_01b.png

Sing, clap, drum on your desk! Use your surroundings as instruments to play the game! You can even play with more than one person so feel free to invite friends and family to join in on the fun! You can still play the game with the touchscreen.

Useful Info

When selecting an Avatar, a description of that Avatar is displayed at the bottom of the screen, followed by the letters G, L, and E and some numbers.

These letters and the values associated with them signify the special attributes for that Avatar as follows:

• G (GROOVE): This is the initial amount of GROOVE you begin a stage with.
  • L (LENGTH): This refers to the length of the Groove Gauge.
  • E (EXP): This amount modifies the amount of experience points earned when playing stages.

Features

• Arcade mode ported over to mobile!
  • Multi touch support so you can play using multiple fingers
  • Added Mission feature where you get rewards by completing various challenges
  • Added Title feature where you can show the world how awesome you are
  • Upgraded Event feature
  • Added S+ and S++ ratings
  • Some Avatars are now in full color

Song List
Free songs

• Black Moon Sympathy / TeddyLoid
  • Breach of faith / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Cardiac Rhythm / COSIO
  • COZMIC OPERATION / COSIO
  • Eurythmics Trip / COSIO
  • Fess up! / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Fun-House / COSIO
  • Got more raves? / E.G.G.
  • Groove Prayer / COSIO feat. ChouCho
  • Happy Smiling♪-More Happy Mix- / COSIO
  • I CANNOT APE / COSIO
  • Invade You / COSIO
  • It's a pit world / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Just no friend / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Kanon / FREEDOM
  • Music Plot Type Three / COSIO
  • Neptune Diving / COSIO
  • Not get wish / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Play merrily / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Protocol Signal Generation / COSIO
  • Punk Silent Night / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Revenge Of Arkanoid / Lil'B
  • Sakura Mankai / HIROTO
  • Sakura Remix / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • SEE THE LIGHTS feat. IA / ASY
  • Sleep / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Spring to mind / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Streetwalker / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Symphony No. 9 -Groove MIX- / Remix by COSIO
  • Thrash Beat / COSIO
  • The Beginning / COSIO
  • The Party Has Just Begun / LastSecond
  • You've Gatta Luv / Shu Nakazawa
  • World Collapse / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • Mortification of the flesh / Shohei Tsuchiya
  • GEKI / Shohei Tsuchiya
As expected there's plenty of IAP on this game. However, Taito is running a sale until the end of the month (July 30th) on all music packs:
  • Kagerou Project Set (16 Tracks): normally $19.96, on sale for $14.99
  • niconico Music Set (32 Tracks): normally $39.92 , on sale for $29.99
  • Original Set (48 Tracks): normally $56.88, on sale for $41.99

Screenshots

Links

Community

In order to compare high scores, GC2 uses a Taito ID instead of Google's native API, post your Taito IDs in the OT and I'll add everyone here! :)

List of players (GAF Username - Taito ID)
  • Jotamide - Jotamide
  • Reluctant-Hero - ReluctantHero
  • Piccoro - Piccoro7
  • patientx - patientx
  • Aerocrane - aerocrane
  • Zonic - Zonic505
  • RoryDropkick - rorydropkick
  • Hispanicguy - hispanicguy
  • Barrylocke - Barrylocke
  • CheesecakeRecipe - TheRaydio
  • Remembrance - Unintint
  • hamchan - Evilhamchan
  • SephLuis - sephluisbr
  • Dinjoralo - Dinjoralo
  • MaverickHunterAsh - MaverickHunterAsh
  • Andrefpvs - Andrefpvs
  • Supaidaman - Supaidaman

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies for the hastily thrown together OT, I've been playing this for a week now and I'm baffled that no one is taking about the game. Arcade mode is a lot of fun and the different ways of tapping to the music plus the different angles during gameplay keep you me at the edge of my seat the entire time. The music ranges from forgettable to very very good. I might cave in along the way and buy some song packs (mighty tempted to grab the BlazBlue pack first). If I do, I'll post impressions for sure.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OMG it's on Android?! I remember getting my smart phone a few months ago & remembered this game, only to realize it was iOS only. Downloaded & hopefully will try it later this week.

Glad to see there's finally a place to discuss this game! I've been playing since the original days of Groove Coaster iOS and this game just keeps giving. Imported the 3CD soundtrack last year - very much worth it for the last disc, which is not available if you buy the soundtrack digitally.

It's worth mentioning that the store contains a number of song packs restricted to Japanese IP addresses - mostly J-pop and anime covers that aren't licensed outside of Japan. But you can buy them in your own app store's currency, and then you can play them from outside of Japan any time you want.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ohhh shit! A mobile game series I actually love! Getting this for sure.

The lack of hype is down to how they just transformed Zero to 2. Very strange. Does Reisuke Ishida have anything to do with the game anymore? Is he still at Taito? I feel like we haven't heard anything from him in ages. Infinity Gene and Groove Coaster are still my favorite mobile games period.

SephLuis

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I was going to buy an iOS device for this. Played sooo much in the arcades while traveling.

Thank you OP, best news I had this week.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see there's some interest! You can all add me at Jotamide on the game. Post your Taito IDs once you've set them up!

soultron

Banned
Does it have offline play?

I ask because I typically play mobile games on the subway, where I don't get service/data.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Does it have offline play?

I ask because I typically play mobile games on the subway, where I don't get service/data.
The first time you play a new song you have to download it. But I think already downloaded songs can be played offline. Not sure if you get unlocks while offline though.

Are more than 2 songs supposed to unlock? I've played these 2 songs like 5 times but haven't unlocked the next song. Am I missing something?

Are any of the music sets worth it?

Just about all of the original music (Arcade Packs, ZUNTATA packs... anything in the Original Set, really) is worth it. Even moreso if you recognize the music from other games. Also, most of the music can be previewed in the store.

As for the rest, it all depends on if you recognize the material. The first few packs in a series are usually the best.

And if you care about gameplay first, you can't go wrong with picking the packs with the highest-difficulty songs.

Does dlc carry over from the first game?

If you mean Groove Coaster vanilla, no - but that was also true years ago when Groove Coaster Zero came out.

If you mean Groove Coaster Zero, it all carries over since it's still the same app.

Why'd you have to go and mention Rez. Man, don't do my heart that way.

This is the dev of Space Invaders Infinity Gene? That was a buggy mess on PS3, but I loved it.

Koyuga

Wow, I wasn't expecting much, but this game is actually incredible. Might actually throw some money at this..

The original was my favorite mobile game of all time, and this one is even better. God, I love this series.

I would give anything for a PSN/Wii U eShop/XBLA version that I could play on the big screen with legit buttons, but that doesn't take away from how wonderful the mobile versions are!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wonder if this players better on mobile. I actually hate the arcade controls for this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Go to store to download some free songs. You also unlock some additional free songs by leveling up.
Wow, thanks for posting about this. Wouldn't have checked the shop otherwise. There's a whopping 6 songs for free.

......I just hope my smartphone can hold all the music that I'll be downloading...

Edit: THERE'S AN ARC SYSTEM WORKS PACK?!

Oh, & there's 2 free avatars (Sheep & GC Squid) as well. GC Squid: "accurate track is played, regardless of player input. G:20 L:110 E:100%". Sheep: "Groove accumulates at a rate of 150%. G:30 L: 100 E:100%"

....speaking of avatars, what do G, L, & E stand for?

Top Bottom