• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Himuro said:
I recently started watching this anime. I'm actually pleasently surprised that it's good to honestly tell you the truth. People made it seems as if it was a harem, or a really really bad comedy series, but Haruhi is actually more than that.

I've got 1-4 so far. I need to catch up.
Hand Maid May is better

Holtz

Himuro said:
I recently started watching this anime.I'm actually pleasently surprised that it's good to honestly tell you the truth. People made it seems as if it was a harem, or a really really bad comedy series, but Haruhi is actually more than that.

I've got 1-4 so far. I need to catch up.
Who said that? :lol Yeah, Haruhi is awesome, best new show of the season along with Black Lagoon and Higurashi.

Belfast

Himuro said:
I like how it's presented as a harem, but then when harem moments happen the main character says stuff that you're thinking,"This is supposed to be funny?"

And yet, at the same time, is secretly attracted to the goings-on. Kyon is like the complete opposite of your usual harem nerd. Indeed, it's pretty much poking fun at the genre, though that isn't the main focus of the series at all.

aoi tsuki

the year 20XX said:
But you can still read the blog?
No. Been there once, and it's too disturbing to go back. On top of polls like "which color panties would you like to sniff?", there's anime discussion, and every newsbit regarding children you've seen posted on GAF is there, but with a seriously rori twist.

Not my bag.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Himuro: The first episode was a cleverly veiled intro to the actual cast, rather than just a tounge-in-cheek home movie. In the second episode Haruhi also declares what kind of people she wants to be with, and that's exactly what she got. At any rate, the show was hinting where it was going from the start.

Danj

For those of you who have already watched episode 11 (13),
does anyone know if there's an English or English-translated game similar to The Day Of Sagittarius III
? Also, what is that piece of classical music that gets played
towards the end of the space battle
?

For people who haven't watched any Haruhi, or are considering it, watch more than just episode 1 otherwise you'll be terribly confused, since the show is not aired in chronological order (see Wikipedia for details).

Hero

This show is all kinds of awesome, if only for being so off the wall with a lot of the stuff.

Kyon's comments and thoughts are the main driving point for me, as he's the only rational human within the Brigade. The Sci-Fi spin is kind of weird, but I'm willing to see where it goes, so far I don't have any complaints.

Holtz

The latest episode was freaking awesome. References to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Yamato, Gundam :lol , Nadesico. Just 3 more.
noyuuutsu1122LG.jpg

:lol

Holtz

Harem is one guy and several girls. Harem anime is shows like Maburaho, Love Hina, etc. And ep 11 was awesome.:lol

Beezy

Holtz said:
Harem is one guy and several girls. Harem anime is shows like Maburaho, Love Hina, etc. And ep 11 was awesome.:lol

Thanks. Can you tell me what shoujo is too? I always hear it and harem mentioned together.

Pellham

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
After seeing this anime prominently displayed and loved on a rorikon blog, i don't think i can ever watch it.

So you'd not watch something because of fanboys? That's pathetic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
the year 20XX said:
Weirdly enough, so did Kyon, at least in narration.

I keep thinking that KYON is the one everyone is after and not Haruhi. Kyon is just too cool anyways. Haruhi makes me want to hit things. Annoying. =(

Nikashi

Banned
Beezy said:
Thanks. Can you tell me what shoujo is too? I always hear it and harem mentioned together.

Shoujo (Shojo) = anime directed primarily at girls. (See: Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Fushigi Yuugi)

Shounen (Shonen) = anime more directed towards boys. (See: Naruto, One Piece, DragonBall )

Beezy

Ah, okay. I should've known this a long time ago. :/

Edit: How many episodes long is Suzumiya supposed to be?

Holtz

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu will have 14 eps. Kyoto Animation may make a second season later, since this thing is a huge hit, but it's nothing certain.

Amir0x

Banned
i just watched the first two episodes and i'm meh-ing all over the place

but it's very hard to please me with anime

mackaveli

Kintaro said:
I keep thinking that KYON is the one everyone is after and not Haruhi. Kyon is just too cool anyways. Haruhi makes me want to hit things. Annoying. =(

i do think its kyon who is the special one and not haruhi because at the very beginning of episode 2 kyon first talks about aliens, espers and time travel, so maybe he wished for it and he wished for some crazy chick to be leader haha and it came true

aoi tsuki

Pellham said:
So you'd not watch something because of fanboys? That's pathetic.
i was kinda joking but actually, i probably wouldn't have watched it to begin with. Anime just doesn't do it for me for the most part these days. Too many similar plots, fanservice really bothers me, and then it hits me that i'm watching something which was designed for children/teens. There's some exceptions (Bleach), but i really don't care about the misadventures of teenagers, anime or otherwise. i'd love to see more serious anime in the vein of Ghost in the Shell, or just completely off-the-wall insanity like Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu, which i need to finish.

i'm currently watching Ergo Proxy and Bleach, off and on. Ergo Proxy is enough of a mind**** to completely numb my mind to, well, pretty much anything at this point. Bleach rocks overall, so i can make it past the "OMG HE MASTERED THE TECHNIQUE?! THIS COMPLETELY AVERAGE BOY MAY HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!1" bits of the show.

Beezy

aoi tsuki said:
Ergo Proxy is enough of a mind**** to completely numb my mind to, well, pretty much anything at this point.

It's safe to assume that you've never watched Monster before.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just watched episode 11. I'll preface this by saying, I actually really enjoy the main storyline (the episodes marked Melancholy of...). It's actually hooked me more so than the "slice of life" episodes scattered throughout. Not that I don't enjoy those either. In fact, I rather enjoy "slice of life" anime. So, this has a nice mix to it.

As usual, this episode has a lot of well done homages to various shows in the past, which I enjoy very much. Getting past the fun of the episode, I do like how they develop Nagato through these episodes. Makes me wonder what will happen to her in the main storyline since she's seen more than the others. She's definitely got the Ruri (Nadesico) dynamic working for her, but I like this character much more.

I didnt know the show is only scheduled for 14 episodes, depending how they wrap up the main storyline, it's probably nowhere near enough episodes to satisfy. =( Plus, we need more time for Asahina and the other guy to turn into some fun characters (currently, they just aren't.)

So far, the interesting main storyline, combined with Kyon and Nagato keep the show interesting for me. Asahina is nice fan service, the other guy is...just there (I cant even remember his name. That's a bad sign), and Haruhi herself is more annoying than anything (either this show ISN'T about her, or it falls victim to the annoying heroine syndrome. Which would be a shame.).

Kyon rules though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Meh I kinda didnt bother to keep up with the show after all the wierd fantasy was brought in as actually being well..you know real... I also kinda dislike how the show just seems so perfectly cemented in the current otaku trends, you've got the moe chick, the tsundere girl, the emotionless loli etc etc...I know its based on a novel and all but I just can't get into the rest of the show...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
I also kinda dislike how the show just seems so perfectly cemented in the current otaku trends, you've got the moe chick, the tsundere girl, the emotionless loli etc etc...
That IS the joke, you know...

Dead

well not really...yet
MetatronM said:
That IS the joke, you know...
I know its supposed to feel like parody, but it doesn't. The entire genre itself is nothing but self parody itself so its hard to take something like this as being actual parody at face value. It just comes off like the same old shit with a twist, especially when seeing the content of the series.

The series has its faults, but it's pretty charming, and has been a lot better than what I expected after the first two or three episodes.

Dead said:
Meh I kinda didnt bother to keep up with the show after all the wierd fantasy was brought in as actually being well..you know real... I also kinda dislike how the show just seems so perfectly cemented in the current otaku trends, you've got the moe chick, the tsundere girl, the emotionless loli etc etc...I know its based on a novel and all but I just can't get into the rest of the show...

I'm not caught up, only to 8 I think, but in my opinion the fantasy is still very much unbelievable. Kyon indulges the cast, but I'm still betting it's fake as can be.

As far as I'm concerned, this series earns a free pass just for how clever it is to have the VA for Haruhi sing the OP/ED in character. I mean, I'm sure the gimmicks been done before, but how the actual songs line up with the character is pretty ace.

Also I don't know how you can say it doesn't feel like a parody with how exaggerated the characters are. I'm even willing to give you that Haruhi is pretty typical a combat rocker, but the other two girls are just too absurd.

Shouta

Dead said:
I know its supposed to feel like parody, but it doesn't. The entire genre itself is nothing but self parody itself so its hard to take something like this as being actual parody at face value. It just comes off like the same old shit with a twist, especially when seeing the content of the series.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with Haruhi. The show has come to the point that it's basically a standard parody with a twist. The first and second episodes (show date) were really good but it just slid downhill afterwards to me. The second episode made the show out to be a sly parody of slice of life show with some outrageous moments to punctuate Kyon's very funny monologuing. Then it just kept getting sillier and more outrageous and it lost that parody feel to it. Kyon is still a riot but most of the other characters are really annoying to me.

Holtz

Beezy said:
Same here. It's not possible for this to only be 14 episodes. Just about nothing has happened so far.
Yeah, it sucks, but Kyoto Animation is busy with the Kanon remake, so 14 eps it is. Like i said, a second season is likely, but if it happens, it will take a while. :(
Aoi, go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's exactly what you are looking for. :D

Pellham

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
i was kinda joking but actually, i probably wouldn't have watched it to begin with. Anime just doesn't do it for me for the most part these days. Too many similar plots, fanservice really bothers me, and then it hits me that i'm watching something which was designed for children/teens. There's some exceptions (Bleach), but i really don't care about the misadventures of teenagers, anime or otherwise. i'd love to see more serious anime in the vein of Ghost in the Shell, or just completely off-the-wall insanity like Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu, which i need to finish.

i'm currently watching Ergo Proxy and Bleach, off and on. Ergo Proxy is enough of a mind**** to completely numb my mind to, well, pretty much anything at this point. Bleach rocks overall, so i can make it past the "OMG HE MASTERED THE TECHNIQUE?! THIS COMPLETELY AVERAGE BOY MAY HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!1" bits of the show.

Ew Ergo Proxy and even bigger ew, Bleach.

Anyway if you are looking for something serious, I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain or Boogiepop Phantom for some real mind ****ing.

aoi tsuki

Himuro said:
We have similar tastes (except Bleach).

For more mind ****ery or serious series watch Gankutsuoh, Paranoid Agent, and Genshiken (it's a comedy but it's still pretty serious in that it's a analysis of otaku *barf* lifestyle).

For more off the wall crazy comedy watch Cromartie High School.
Bleach is my replacement for Naruto; the typical shonen fighting anime, and it fulfills my ninja/samurai/martial arts guilty pleasure requirement. Screw the haters, but Naruto started off surprisingly good for what it was. Not the greatest anime, but fresh enough to continue watching. i don't remember where exactly, but it started to really drag on, and the current filler episodes are just painful. Ever since around episode 100, i've been watching it in spurts -- a few months of no Naruto, then i'll download a dozen in succession, and repeat the cycle.

i finished Gankutsuou some time ago (loved it), i've got a few episodes of Paranoid Agent i've yet to watch (thanks for reminding me), and i watched the first couple of episodes of Genshiken, which just wasn't my thing.

i've yet to watch Cromartie, though i read a couple of volumes of the manga and found it pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom