• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset for PS4/PS3/Vita?

le-seb

If any game outputs a standard 5.1 soundfield it will be converted to a psychoaccoustic simulation over 2 channels.
The game audio engine doesn't need to produce the psychoaccoustics.
That's how Turtle Beach can do it using Dolby Headphone over an optical cable too.
You're probably right, but this doesn't explain why some games sound like shit with VSS enabled while others do sound great.

If anything, TLOU is perfectly aware of what it's outputting its sound to:
http://giant.gfycat.com/FocusedWarmAlleycat.webm
(showing the game knows that you're using a headset, and also that it switches automatically from a 2.0 to a 7.1 audio mix, and the other way around, whenever you enable/disable VSS)

Could be the reason why it sounds good with that game.

The only thing I don't like about these headphones is that they are supposed to work on PC. I tried using them on my Microsoft Surface Pro 1, and they act really weird.

Don't show up using the usb dongle, only when I plug a micro USB wire from them to the SPro's usb port. They show up in Volume Playback Devies or Device Manager, only in the Windows 8.1 'Devices and Printers' area as 'Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0'.

However they don't work... When I run troubleshoot wizard on it in the Devices and Printers window it reports that 'this device uses USB 2.0, which doesn't run well on USB 3.0'. USB3 is supposed to be backwards compatable!

That's odd. They've worked on my Surface in the past, although I never used them for that because I dislike the idea of the dongle simply protruding from the device. Does your USB dongle do that with any other PC?

Has anyone used the Astro Wireless Mixamp in addition to this?

My Astro setup it still going pretty strong (I either use some Sony MDR-MA900s or my Fidelio X1s with V-Moda boom mic), but I'm curious to hear how much better the 7.1 surround is with these versus the Astro's simulated 5.1.

Magwik

Banned
Anyone have issues with the headset not connecting suddenly? It's not showing up on my PS4 yet the dongle light is on and the headset light is always red

Asking this for a friend. He's on PS4 and his golds will play chat and speaker noises (the ones that usually come out of the controller), but not any other audio. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Lulu23

Asking this for a friend. He's on PS4 and his golds will play chat and speaker noises (the ones that usually come out of the controller), but not any other audio. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Has he tried going to Devices, then the Headset and then setting it to play all audio?

You really have to be more specific when asking things like that.

DOWN

Banned
Has anyone used the Astro Wireless Mixamp in addition to this?

My Astro setup it still going pretty strong (I either use some Sony MDR-MA900s or my Fidelio X1s with V-Moda boom mic), but I'm curious to hear how much better the 7.1 surround is with these versus the Astro's simulated 5.1.
Astro uses Dolby (and it's actually 7.1 like Sony's as it is just the nature of headphone simulation). Dolby is on an another level. Dolby sounds similar to real, deep speakers. Sony is using a no-name older proprietary Virtual Surround. Sony's is better than stereo, and the headphones are certainly a step up from most TV speakers, but Astro is pricier as a setup for a reason.

Sony is good for the price.

le-seb

Yes he's tried that.
I'm not sure whether the speaker effects are normally routed there or not, but he certainly should check that his headset volume balance is not in 100% chat configuration. Using the chat/volume button, he can go from a 100% chat - 0% game audio configuration to a 0% chat - 100% game audio one. Two beeps are heard when reaching either end.

Couleurs

Just had my second Gold headset crack today, in the same exact spot as the first one in December (a little above the left hinge). I'm pretty careful with my electronics so I know they're not cracking from abuse or anything, just absolute shit build quality. It's a shame the headsets are so weak; I really liked them otherwise.

I think I'm done wasting money on these until they get redesigned or something though. Time to start researching alternatives :(

Just had my second Gold headset crack today, in the same exact spot as the first one in December (a little above the left hinge). I'm pretty careful with my electronics so I know they're not cracking from abuse or anything, just absolute shit build quality. It's a shame the headsets are so weak; I really liked them otherwise.

I think I'm done wasting money on these until they get redesigned or something though. Time to start researching alternatives :(

That sucks man. I've been lucky so far *knock on wood* but I know you're not the only person with this problem.

Anyone here get the silver headset? I have the golds but the battery life kind of sucks. Was thinking of getting the silvers to use when i'm watching Netflix or HBO GO. The set is cheap enough on Amazon so i'll probably eventually get them.

Cudder

That sucks man. I've been lucky so far *knock on wood* but I know you're not the only person with this problem.

Anyone here get the silver headset? I have the golds but the battery life kind of sucks. Was thinking of getting the silvers to use when i'm watching Netflix or HBO GO. The set is cheap enough on Amazon so i'll probably eventually get them.

Plug in your Gold's and use them wired?

Cranberrys

I bought a 10 feet long 3.5 jack cable from Oehlbach to wire the Golds so I can play some of the glitchy games without audio cuts (Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 2 have regular audio cuts when the Golds are wireless...) and it works fine.

Zee-Row

Banned
Anyone have issues with the headset not connecting suddenly? It's not showing up on my PS4 yet the dongle light is on and the headset light is always red
That happens to me sometimes when I'm returning to a game that was in sleep mode. I just unplug the dongle and plug it back in and it works fine again. Seems like a firmware issue.

mf.luder

Currently playing Witcher 3 and I have audio cutting out every now and then. Battery is full or at least above 75% when this happens. I'm really puzzled why this is happening as I'm perfectly within range. I'm using the pulse elites.

Cranberrys

Currently playing Witcher 3 and I have audio cutting out every now and then. Battery is full or at least above 75% when this happens. I'm really puzzled why this is happening as I'm perfectly within range. I'm using the pulse elites.

I have no problems with The Witcher but I'm using the Golds (with the Bloodborne profile), however the audio cuts you describe are similar to what I've experienced with Skyrim, Fallout 3 and some (fortunately few) other games.

Are they frequent like every 10 minutes or so ?

mf.luder

I have no problems with The Witcher but I'm using the Golds (with the Bloodborne profile), however the audio cuts you describe are similar to what I've experienced with Skyrim, Fallout 3 and some (fortunately few) other games.

Are they frequent like every 10 minutes or so ?

Yes, approximately 10-min in between cutouts. Very annoying.

rezn0r

any luck in your hunt? mine finally fully broke today, like hanging by a wire (right hinge though). it really sucks, as i love these as well, and i too am pretty careful with electronics. i just wrapped it up in electrical tape and it'll work for now, but of course looks and feels stupid.

i was ready to drop another $80 on a new pair, because that's how much i like them, but starting to wonder if there are better alternatives without being too worried about the price. the key is that these worked for ps4, ps3, vita, pc, and xb1...

thenexus6

Well, I was jut chatting to my friend and playing Driveclub where I heard this odd noise from the headset. I lost all game audio but could still here my friend fine. I now can't get really any audio come through, it all sounds really faint like i'm under water?

The menus, party chat, live from playstation sound fine but games don't. What the hell is going on?

Holding mine together with duct tape lol. Even the padding in front of the speakers has come off. Gotta glue those back on.

Great build quality Sony!

rezn0r

Well, I was jut chatting to my friend and playing Driveclub where I heard this odd noise from the headset. I lost all game audio but could still here my friend fine. I now can't get really any audio come through, it all sounds really faint like i'm under water?

The menus, party chat, live from playstation sound fine but games don't. What the hell is going on?

no idea if it's related but this was happening to me last week, muting and then unmuting it would fix it. it stopped happening after i re-downloaded the sound profile i was using. but yeah then they physically broke so !@%$

Couleurs

any luck in your hunt?

I wound up buying some Sennheiser 280 headphones from Amazon for $85 (these )

I haven't used them with my PS4 or Xbone yet but they've been pretty good for listening to music. It kind of sucks that they're wired, but I haven't had any other complaints with them yet.

They should be good enough to hold me over until Sony either releases a new model of the Gold Wireless headphones or until they go on sale and are cheap enough to justify buying a 3rd set knowing they're going to break in 6 months.

Hopefully someone here can clarify this issue for me. I'm trying to use these with my XBONE (bought these after reading that they work well across multiple devices-I have an xb1,ps4, and PC) but my friends are getting echoes of their own voices. Is there any known way to fix this? Everything sounds great on my end but they're saying their echoes are pretty loud.

Catdaddy

Had mine about 10 months and y'day the plastic cover on one of the hinges broke so the metal piece was sticking out. So ended up popping it back in and wrapping the whole hinge in duct tape.

I understand the need for them to be compact and fold up, but that seems to be the main weakness. Give the option to lock it into place, or not fold up at all. Other than that one issue, I love them.

Kinsella

Banned
Had mine about 10 months and y'day the plastic cover on one of the hinges broke so the metal piece was sticking out. So ended up popping it back in and wrapping the whole hinge in duct tape.

I understand the need for them to be compact and fold up, but that seems to be the main weakness. Give the option to lock it into place, or not fold up at all. Other than that one issue, I love them.

If you look at your other hinges, you'll notice they all have hairline fractures in them. Every single one of these they sell is destined to break if the user makes use of those hinges. I can't believe they let this product release with that flaw. Much like yours, my Gold headset is now covered in tape. And what's worse, for 100 bucks they don't even sound good compared to other 100 dollar headsets.

If you look at your other hinges, you'll notice they all have hairline fractures in them. Every single one of these they sell is destined to break if the user makes use of those hinges. I can't believe they let this product release with that flaw. Much like yours, my Gold headset is now covered in tape. And what's worse, for 100 bucks they don't even sound good compared to other 100 dollar headsets.

I don't even know if they're actually fractures. Mine had very clean, hairline seams since day one. I've had 'em for a few months and have only noticed one of them getting bigger.

Of course, it's incredibly convenient that the headsets break along those very lines. One of the few times I've sprung for an extended warranty from Best Buy.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Broke down and got the black golds... But the store down the road has a pair of white ones.... Hmmmm????? Are they valuable?
Not sure in US, Zavvi has them cheaper then the Black Golds, I think they are retailer exclusives.

Thinking of buying a pair of golds.

Is 7.1 Sound still limited to Playstation or is it enabled with
PC/Workaround.

Fire TV Stick and Nvidia Shield TV compatible?

NIGHT-

Is there a reason why only the cable that came with it will charge it? I have similar cables that are longer but won't charge it.... Ugh

I don't get Sony. The ergonomics of the DS4 is great, its build quality is shit. The sound quality of the Gold/Elites are great, the build quality is shit. Why can't it be both for once?

I'm done with Sony peripherals, I'm going to pick myself up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s to use with my Earforce DSS (optical-to-3.5mm virtual surround sound processor).

I've had a pair of the original Wireless Stereo Headsets (rebranded as standard Pulse) with the dongle go out on me, and you can't just replace the dongle. I've had a Pulse Elites start to crack, abated by zip ties for now. My friend's Golds have cracked.

Currently eyeing a pair of these for $50 on Newegg. Would they be a meaningful upgrade to my current Turtle Beach PX22s? I just use the PX22s plugged directly into the PS4.

I thinking of either picking a pair of these up or the much cheaper gioteck hc4.

The Sony's seem to have excellent sound quality and are fully wireless, but iffy build quality.

The gioteck hc4 seems to be a good allrounder, half the price, but plugs into the controller.

Any thoughts?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That feel when you lose the little USB dongle :(

Fuck.

Dynomutt

Hey guys I have a ?

I used to have the Sony Gold's and by their reputation they were good for wait you paid for especially when I got them for $50 bucks.

No about a week or so ago during the Prime sale I was able to get the V-Moda M-80 set and I am purchase their inline boom mic.

Can someone explain to me why this stereo headphone has better positional audio and detailed sound than Sony's VSS like dramatically so. Is it simply the drivers? Also I was always curious if it was possible to upgrade the firmware on the Gold's?

Like I understand audio and I know it's not placebo but I didn't expect it to be dramatically better especially through the controller. Thanks.

jwk94

Ive had these things for nearly a year now and while I love them, my god Sony dropped the ball with the battery indicator. The shit doesn't work! Unless the battery is just about to die, the thing doesn't give you any warning. You could turn them off, come back in a few hours and they're dead. In fact, I just had them charging for about 15 minutes, took them off the charger, turned them off for something, tried to turn em on and nothing. The thing never even told me it was about to die. I pray they release a better version soon.

Slixshot

Banned
Had mine since launch. No problems. ^_^

I understand I got lucky, but for $100, money well spent. People getting them at $60 is a steal in my opinion.

Wish the White Destiny ones weren't such a limited run.

Somewhat tempted to get the Grey 20th anniversary ones, but would rather have the white.

Top Bottom