• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Bittersweet Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the Sympathy for Lady Vengeance thread, I read about this movie. Well, I just finished watching it. So damned cool. Everything about it was incredibly well done. The way the scenes were laid out, the beatiful use of music, ugh, the painful awesome fight scenes. The acting was spot-on cool, but it was kinda by the numbers. The scene on the highway wth the drunks... gorgeous. The gun assembly part... and he does with that guy's face against the cement wall... engaging. Please, let me know of any more asian cinema that I've missed out on like this. I implore you, please watch this movie.

79105wd.jpg

picture17th.png

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
It's a good looking movie, alright. But it lacks in the story department, if you know what I mean. It's definitly worth watching, though.

EDIT: And btw, the korean signs looks like something found on an alien ship.

I do, but it's simple enough to love. I thought it was somewhat boring though somewhat touching because
it was all over a girl and her music, but when he blows up at the end to his former boss and finally displays some emotion in the movie
made me think it was just that, bittersweet.

picture26tc.png

Oh shit, is that a wooden stick with nails spiked on the end? And it's on fire?!

ItsInMyVeins said:
It's a good looking movie, alright. But it lacks in the story department, if you know what I mean. It's definitly worth watching, though.

I don't think it lacks in the story department at all

...its just a simple story, but a very well layed-out/presented one. I loved the film and when I get around to it, will be buying the R2 version from Amazon.co.uk, since it doesn't look like its going to be released in the states anytime soon.....

ps: Main actor lent his likeness to Lost Planet :)

itsinmyveins

AgentOtaku said:
I don't think it lacks in the story department at all

What you think is irrelevant, cause it does :)

You might like it. It's really simple and all that. But I expected more.

For me, it's a 3 outta 5 movie.

AgentOtaku said:
...its just a simple story, but a very well layed-out/presented one.
Perfectly stated. I just think a lot of the subtle nuances went over your head, Veins. Now go away, I'm done with you.
"But I served you loyally for seven years like a dog!"
Shit, I love that.

itsinmyveins

No, there were no "nuances" that went over my head. As I stated in my first post - it's a good looking story. But hardly deep. You guys are just trying to see something that isn't there.

Well, no one's recommended movies. Please, get to it.

This is pretty much the secondary theme of the movie went over some people's head.

theme7sy.jpg

Difficult to miss, though.

Very cool movie, and it has a simple but effective plot. I think people confuse simplicity with shallowness. To each his own.

Check out the director's other movies, which are all in different genres from each other:

A Tale of Two Sisters (horror)
The Quiet Family (black comedy)
The Foul King (very very funny movie)

Some other Korean favorites of mine are Guns and Talks, Memories of Murder, Public Enemy, Welcome to Dongmakgol, This Charming Girl, and uh, well I'll stop there before the list gets too long. :D

No, please, go on. I don't mind. I have A Tale of Two Sisters, but I haven't watched it yet. Was this directer's story in Three Extremes the one with the shallow wife and the obsessed fan? It's the only one I didn't skip through. The fetus-eating one was kinda meh.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I didn't think much of Bittersweet Life, myself. There was clearly some potential, but mostly nothing compelling enough to really grab me aside from a fair amount of style.

Verboten said:
I have A Tale of Two Sisters, but I haven't watched it yet. Was this directer's story in Three Extremes the one with the shallow wife and the obsessed fan? It's the only one I didn't skip through.

That's Three Extremes' "Cut" you're thinking of; Chan-Wook Park (Oldboy, Mr. Vengeance) did that one. That was my least favorite of the three, so our tastes appear to be heading other directions. :)

Anyway, jetpacks' recommendation for Memories of Murder is spot on. It's one of the finest movies to come out of Korea in a long time, so definitely check that one out. Also recently watched The President's Last Bang, which was a pretty solid political drama with some thriller and satirical elements.

Not a Korean film, or particularly recent, but if you're able to find it, Shohei Imamura's Vengeance Is Mine is stunningly good. I won't directly compare it to Bittersweet Life, but it's similar in theme to Memories of Murder: essentially a chronicle of a laborer-turned-killer loose in Japan. Whereas MoM takes this concept from the detectives' point of view, here we see everything from the killer's perspective, much of it in flashbacks. It's such a complex, fascinating film.

Hotarubi said:
Anyway, jetpacks' recommendation for Memories of Murder is spot on. It's one of the finest movies to come out of Korea in a long time, so definitely check that one out.

And it was based on a true story, no less. They even tried re-opening the case around the time the movie came out, or so I've heard.

Verboten said:
No, please, go on. I don't mind. I have A Tale of Two Sisters, but I haven't watched it yet. Was this directer's story in Three Extremes the one with the shallow wife and the obsessed fan? It's the only one I didn't skip through. The fetus-eating one was kinda meh.

He actually did one of the shorts for the first Three anthology, not Three Extremes.

I would suggest you check out koreanfilm.org and just read as many reviews as possible. If you want more recommendations from me, you can send me a pm. :)

hah, I was afraid you were going to say you hated this movie, karasu. :p The movie that precedes Three Extremes is just called Three? Anyhow, thanks, Jetpack. Will do.

yeah, memories of murder was actually pretty decent. entirely different type of movie though, the only similarities are that theyre both 'dark' and feature gooks really

Even if you didn't like the plot of the film, the action scenes should've been enough to keep you watching. My only gripes with the film are that I didn't like the actress(they could've chose a better looking one) and how the guy is so adept as using guns(Maybe he learned that in the military? They don't explain...).
The proverb at the beginning of the film is very nice.

tehrafe

Downloaded and watched it just because of this thread (and because I like Japanese/Korean/Chinese movies)

It's good, liked it very much, any other recommendations gaf?

tehrafe said:
Downloaded and watched it just because of this thread (and because I like Japanese/Korean/Chinese movies)

It's good, liked it very much, any other recommendations gaf?

err dont pirate............or Use shouta logic atleast dont admit to pirating on the forum :lol

jetpacks was yes said:
Some other Korean favorites of mine are Guns and Talks, Memories of Murder, Public Enemy, Welcome to Dongmakgol, This Charming Girl, and uh, well I'll stop there before the list gets too long. :D

Hotarubi said:
Anyway, jetpacks' recommendation for Memories of Murder is spot on. It's one of the finest movies to come out of Korea in a long time, so definitely check that one out. Also recently watched The President's Last Bang, which was a pretty solid political drama with some thriller and satirical elements.

manipulate said:
yeah, memories of murder was actually pretty decent. entirely different type of movie though, the only similarities are that theyre both 'dark' and feature gooks really
Holy hell, I finally got around to watching Memories of Murder. What a great film. At first, I dismissed the true story part because I focused on the antics of the two detectives, but near the end... shit, the pacing was great. What happened to the interrogator that got the nail in the leg?
I'm guessing by that look his friend gave him, he didn't amputate and died.
He was in A Bittersweet Life, too, right? I like how first attacks over there are jump kicks instead of punches. Anyhow, I'm just bumping this thread so other people won't miss out on these damned fine flicks. Gonna see which other one I can get off that list. Thanks again, Jetpack!

Yes. YES. MORE. I want more, not necessarily that genre, but the same quality. Give me more, please. I saw the Revenge trilogy already, so watch them if you haven't (sympathy for mr+lady vengeance+oldboy), but recommend something new!

kruskev

pfft this movie was just a stylish movie riding on the star power of Byung hun Lee. All style no substance, story sucked characters were boring but the acting was decent at least.

<---- new movie from director of "memories of murder" called "the host." It was released during the summer in korea.

teepo

does it have to be just korean?

and the wait for the host has been killing me :(. i really want to see that movie badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom