• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some Korean movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

I've seen a grand total of 4:

Woman on th Beach
Woman is the Future of Man
Old Boy
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

I plan on seeing the rest of Hong Sang Soo's films and hitting up Ki-duk Kim's entire filmography. I've also heard good things about The Host.

Any other must sees?

Solo

Joint Security Area
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Shuri
Crying Fist
3-Iron
A Tale Of Two Sisters
A Bittersweet Life
Tae Guk Gi
The Host
Save The Green Planet
Die Bad
Memories Of Murder

Boogie9IGN

a_bittersweet_life.jpg
image_902788.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
You already saw Old Boy and Mr. Vengeance, see the best one! (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Yeah, see A Bittersweet Life, it's pretty stupid but a lot of fun. And of course, The Host. Oh, you should see Silmido, too, it's pretty ****ed up.

HyperZone<3 said:
The Shogster produced this film, he must love it.

Pulgasari-poster.jpg

The worlds best communist parable/kaiju flick, its unbeatable.

Pulgasari ass rapes Gozira everyway to Sunday! Go Pulgasari go!

Hayami

Banned
Tae Guk Gi is ****ing good. Sex is Zero is a pretty good comedy, too. everything else recommended in this thread is solid.

^
Just so you guys know, that movie is "Once Upon a time in Highschool/Spirit of Jeet Kune Do". There's an amazing fight in that film. Good stuff.

On top of most of the suggestions posted so far:

- Green Fish
- The Turning Gate
- Silmido
- Peppermint Candy
- Bungee Jumping of their Own
- Spider Forest

You should also check out 3 Extremes. It's made up of 3 horror movies and the only one I found to be good was the Korean one. It's called "cut".

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
XMonkey said:
Why? He already saw the best one (Mr. Vengeance).
I could argue, but at least you didn't put Old Boy on top. :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
fans of My Sassy Girl have got to watch My Little Bride - do you understand me??

It is just as good if not better, its very very good. and has a great sound track, only real standout amongst the rom-com flood since my sassy girl. please watch it :D you will be whistling the theme tune for days after !

also any korean film lover have got to check out the dramas. bit harder to DL, but really worth it most of the time.

Full House again for the rom-com lovers, the most beautiful woman in the world - Song Hye Gyo stars in it and puts in a great performance to boot . King of all Kdramas in recent years - get it for your gf/sister/mother if not for yourself.

Goong - nice show, anime style, bit girly with lots of good looking guys etc, but still fun to watch.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
kaizoku said:
fans of My Sassy Girl have got to watch My Little Bride - do you understand me??

It is just as good if not better, its very very good. and has a great sound track, only real standout amongst the rom-com flood since my sassy girl. please watch it :D you will be whistling the theme tune for days after !

also any korean film lover have got to check out the dramas. bit harder to DL, but really worth it most of the time.

Full House again for the rom-com lovers, the most beautiful woman in the world - Song Hye Gyo stars in it and puts in a great performance to boot . King of all Kdramas in recent years - get it for your gf/sister/mother if not for yourself.

Goong - nice show, anime style, bit girly with lots of good looking guys etc, but still fun to watch.

Yeah, Full House is awesome. I love SHG!!

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter And Spring is a beautiful movie, but you need to be in the right frame of mind to watch. It's a very tranquil film with Buddhist themes and meditation set on a beautiful lake.

418px-Spring_Summer_Fall_Winter_And_Spring_movie.jpg

iidesuyo

Diomedeskun said:
My Sassy Girl

Lol so great. I watched it in Korean with Chinese subtitles, and a Chinese friend translated it for me.

There's also a movie that's like a Korean version of American Pie, but I've forgotten the name. Some guy jumped out of a building in the beginning.

iidesuyo said:
Lol so great. I watched it in Korean with Chinese subtitles, and a Chinese friend translated it for me.

There's also a movie that's like a Korean version of American Pie, but I've forgotten the name. Some guy jumped out of a building in the beginning.
My Sassy Girl is so good.

That American Pie movie you're referring to is "Sex is Zero".

Coin Return said:
A Bittersweet Life

Awesome, if not shallow, revenge flick.

See, I was enjoying the film on a pure action level pretty much all the way through, but I was becoming more and more annoyed at how shallow and pointless the whole thing was. However, the ending, particularly the last shot, completely turned all that around for me. It seemed completely aware of what it was doing. It was a simple point to be making, but I think the violence was totally given sufficient context.

As for Korean movies, most of the ones mentioned in this thread are great.

The Host

I was able to see an advance screening a few months ago and thought it was really good. Very funny. It's coming out over here in January I think.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I've only seen Old Boy (thanks, forum!) and loved it, of course. There are two other films in the trilogy, right? Which should I see first? Has the director made any other good films I should check out?

Also, what's with the Koreans and revenge? WHO HAS WRONGED THEM?

Solo

I mentioned them in my post, Ford. Park Chanwook has made Joint Security Area, Sympathy For Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. JSA is a standalone film and the other three from a trilogy bound not by characters or story, but by theme (and Park LOVES to reuse actors, which I love. Lady is chock full of cameos). All 4 are awesome, some of the best films Ive seen in the 2000's. Park is my favorite asian filmmaker by a large margin. I highly recommend all 4 of them. My personal preference is:
Oldboy > JSA > Lady > Mr
But everyone has a different order. All are amazing films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom