• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Metroid Prime Trilogy, WHY DID I MISS THIS?

I'm actually in the process of replaying MP1 as we speak. I've got the trilogy pack and it's probably one of the best purchases I've made in the console game category.

The games stand the test of time better than any other games from the last gen and they're an amazing achievement of storytelling and atmosphere that many games in this gen have yet to match. These games are also amazing for people who like to search every little nook and cranny for power ups and items that can be scanned. I've played over five hours and I'm only 23% done so far.:lol

Edit:
I've played both versions, but I prefer the Wii version. The fluid controls complement the beam switching, the importance of scanning and the overall accuracy so much that I can't even imagine playing this game without Wii controls. I had the same experience with RE4 and I haven't gotten such a refreshing feeling from a control interface since Mario 64.

Truly a timeless shooter.

theultimo

Phendrana Drifts still look AMAZING!

I must be missing a lot of missile packs though, only have 15 and I just entered the drifts. Loving the morph ball puzzles. I'm guessing the rail systems are for the spiderball. Can't wait!

This hint system is...unique. I wander about aimlessly for a bit...and it tells me: stupid! THIS is where you want to go.

KevinCow

Banned
theultimo said:

I must be missing a lot of missile packs though, only have 15 and I just entered the drifts. Loving the morph ball puzzles. I'm guessing the rail systems are for the spiderball. Can't wait!

This hint system is...unique. I wander about aimlessly for a bit...and it tells me: stupid! THIS is where you want to go.

Yeah, you've definitely missed a lot of missile packs. Here's a tip: all expansions make a slight humming sound when you're close. Listen for that.

Also, you can turn off the hint system if you want.

theultimo said:

The drifts don't just look amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

friskykillface said:
i still play metroid prime every once and a while.
I haven't played MP since the game came out, but I definitely have very fond memories of it. Now if only I had a Wii, then I'd be all over this collection. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I always remember that EGM's 2002 review said something about MP1 like "looks like one of the best games from 6 years in the future fell out of a time warp".

Rich!

KevinCow said:
Yeah, you've definitely missed a lot of missile packs. Here's a tip: all expansions make a slight humming sound when you're close. Listen for that.

Also, you can turn off the hint system if you want.

I've never actually used the hint system before on Prime 1 or 2. At all. Ever. :lol

A big fan of Super Metroid and Metroid II, I turned the hint system off when I first got Prime 1 and 2 on the gamecube, and never even thought about it until I had to start a new game, and had to turn it off again.

I spent countless hours quite lost in MP2, but it was worth it. :lol

Is the multiplayer portion of Echoes wiimote enabled? I would assume so, but I've never actually tried it.

richisawesome said:
I've never actually used the hint system before on Prime 1 or 2. At all. Ever. :lol

A big fan of Super Metroid and Metroid II, I turned the hint system off when I first got Prime 1 and 2 on the gamecube, and never even thought about it until I had to start a new game, and had to turn it off again.

I spent countless hours quite lost in MP2, but it was worth it. :lol
Right there with you. So glad they included an option to turn it off :D

theultimo said:

You've missed a ton of missiles if you've only got 15, also beating Flaaghra without the charge beam is slightly odd, I always get the charge beam before going to the Sunchamber. The Trilogy edition is awesome, 16:9 480p support, everything looks and sounds amazing, and the aiming is much easier, especially if you want to snipe. The hint system won't help you in the backtracking later on by the way, and does miss out some items, so be careful. You'll be seeing a lot of Magmoor too. :D

Edit: By the way, this is might be against the rules so slap me if it is but I have a US copy of the original Prime for GC if anyone wants it. I doubt I'll ever go back to it, but I don't know how much it'd get on ebay here in the UK.

Rich!

I had to use the hint system on MP3 though. I absolutely hated fluttering around the various planets, not having an absolute clue what to do next. In MP1 and 2, progression through the world was pretty logical and always made sense if you looked hard enough. In MP3 though, it was ridiculous.

Probably why I didn't enjoy MP3 anywhere near as much as the first two.

Instro

Wii version has better controls and all, but I dont think I could live without the arm cannon effects from the GC version.

Anyway, have fun OP, your really in for a treat. All three games are stellar.

I never played the Prime games. I played a little bit of the first one when I had the Cube, but couldn't get into it.

They're great games, no doubt, but I just couldn't get used to the game. It gave me a headache. :(

Zizbuka

Banned
I loved the first Prime. The only complaint I had was the save points. Getting to a boss, losing while figuring out the 'trick'....... damn, the save point's way back there. :(

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the superior PC games, where I can save when I want. :D

Instro said:
Wii version has better controls and all, but I dont think I could live without the arm cannon effects from the GC version.

Anyway, have fun OP, your really in for a treat. All three games are stellar.
Hmm, have you played it? Because I'm a pretty die-hard Metroid Prime-fan and I barely noticed that the effects were missing. New controls and 16:9 more then makes up for that shortcoming imo.

Prime 1 is amazing. The controls even on the GC seemed to work really really well, except for one boss where my hands got cramps because it was so intense. The final boss also took quite a few deaths before I beat it.

Currently picking my way through Prime 2 on the Wii. It's been slow since I was interrupted with NSMB, Other M, and Goldeneye, but I'm getting there.

And yes the attention to detail is fantastic. Fire a charged shot in close quarters and you see Samus's face reflected back at you. Jump out of water and you see it sloshing off your visor.

GC vs. Wii comparison: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/07/minor-graphical-effects-missing-in-wii-metroid-prime/

theultimo

I liked the music in Magmoor more then Phandrana - it gives me a Norfair vibe.

But WTF at the half pipe shennagans...is this a Skateboarding game? :lol

theultimo said:

That's because it is a slightly remixed version of the Lower Norfair/Ridley's Hideout theme. And the half piping is...well Skateboarding was cool in '02. :D

The trilogy is probably the best game on the Wii outside of the Mario Galaxy games.

All three are amazing... and the first two with Wii remote controls are bliss. I didn't complete Echoes on the cube, but I did on the Wii... I just found it more palatable with pointer controls. Easily up there with the best Nintendo games of all time.

I loved the small details, but the one thing that I feared for the most and thankfully it turn out ok was the actual weight of Samus in first person...both visually as well as control wise. The thought of it being a "camera on wheels" style viewpoint really frightened me, as I did a complete blackout of it outside of like 2 screens. Thankfully, it didn't follow the typical format and you actually felt like a person in a suit that had a body and an environment that weighed on you.

That was without a doubt the biggest concern I had, and it was washed away completely :D

theultimo

abstract alien said:
I loved the small details, but the one thing that I feared for the most and thankfully it turn out ok was the actual weight of Samus in first person...both visually as well as control wise. The thought of it being a "camera on wheels" style viewpoint really frightened me, as I did a complete blackout of it outside of like 2 screens. Thankfully, it didn't follow the typical format and you actually felt like a person in a suit that had a body and an environment that weighed on you.

That was without a doubt the biggest concern I had, and it was washed away completely :D
Yeah, Samus has "weight" unlike Master Chief for instance. It works ok as a platformer with it. The Hint system tells me to go to Phendrana...screw that I am getting missile upgrades :p

theultimo said:
Yeah, Samus has "weight" unlike Master Chief for instance. It works ok as a platformer with it. The Hint system tells me to go to Phendrana...screw that I am getting missile upgrades :p

I loved how in the Gamecube version you could sequence break the game by getting the
jump boots at the very beginning
. Definitely made the game fun being able to double jump through the whole first part.

I probably still have the GC version of Prime 1, if anyone who can't find the trilogy wants to play through the first game on the GC or Wii with the GC controller. It's a great game, plus it has more minor visual effects that they took out of the trilogy.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just picked up a new copy of this for $50 on eBay Aus.

Seen em around but mostly at 70+. Glad to finally find it cheap, and I'll gladly play these fantastic games through again. Nothing compares to Metroid Prime, it's my high point to which I compare all others. The OP is in for a hell of a ride. Thardus!

theultimo said:
Yeah, Samus has "weight" unlike Master Chief for instance. It works ok as a platformer with it.
It's something that really helped with me attaching to it. The only complaint I ever had with the game(and it isn't really a complaint) would be that Samus wasn't her usual nimble self. The weight of the game would have been marvelous with a highly agile character, but it was perfect as is. Can't speak highly enough of how great it felt.

theultimo said:
The Hint system tells me to go to Phendrana...screw that I am getting missile upgrades :p
Ha! Fight the system, my friend. Fight the good fight :D
Are you still keeping up with the Lore collection as well?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Prime 1 is damn-near perfect. Just a phenomenal game. Flawlessly executed Metroid in 3D.

If I could use an adjective to describe Prime 2 it would be "tedious". I'm usually a sucker for the old light/dark gimmick but it really got old fast in Prime 2. There were several times where you'd have to switch from light to dark to light to dark and then back to light in a very short period of time. It felt very much like they were just making you switch just for the sake of switching. Plus some of the bosses were a pain...so again....tedious.

Prime 3 was a step up from 2 for sure. Almost as good as 1. I liked Prime 1's levels/world better though.

AniHawk

Starting a replay of this (just MP1) tomorrow so I'll keep my "rttp" impressions here I guess (if that's okay).

abstract alien said:
Is the multiplayer portion of Echoes wiimote enabled? I would assume so, but I've never actually tried it.
Yeah, I've tried it. It's kinda fun, I guess... most of the people I was playing with weren't used to Wii FPSes, though, so they were mostly raging at the controls... one of them just spent the entire time rolling around in a morph ball because of it. I could see it being fun with a group of 4 gamers experienced in Wii FPS though.

theultimo said:

Yeah, I hated the Boost Ball when I first got it, too. I had an easier time with it by the time I got to MP2, though... I don't know whether the controls were actually better, or whether my skills had just improved, but either way, it was better in MP2 for me. Same thing with the Screw Attack going from 2 to 3.

forrest

formerly nacire
Metroid Prime is one of my favorites from last gen and I play through it from time to time. I still have my 1+2 for GC, but I had to buy the Trilogy when it released! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the series as I have!

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, I've tried it. It's kinda fun, I guess... most of the people I was playing with weren't used to Wii FPSes, though, so they were mostly raging at the controls... one of them just spent the entire time rolling around in a morph ball because of it. I could see it being fun with a group of 4 gamers experienced in Wii FPS though.
I'm gonna have to get a copy of this from a friend and try it out. Thanks for the info!

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
BocoDragon said:
I always remember that EGM's 2002 review said something about MP1 like "looks like one of the best games from 6 years in the future fell out of a time warp".

Yup. Shane said this. This might be my favorite issue of EGM. I would read it all the time when taking a dump.

Ranger X

Sadly, you are playing the best game of the series. Second is quite bad and the third one is "ok". Maybe you'd like them anyways mind you. Personally I couldn't stand the Wii controls for the third game so that's a difference right there between me and u.

radioheadrule83 said:
Metroid Prime itself or Ridley? You should go back to it and give it another go

Metroid Prime itself. I tried to beat that asshole probably 20 times and I couldn't do it. I'll never go back. Loved the rest of the game though.

theultimo

Ranger X said:
Sadly, you are playing the best game of the series. Second is quite bad and the third one is "ok". Maybe you'd like them anyways mind you. Personally I couldn't stand the Wii controls for the third game so that's a difference right there between me and u.
I heard bad things about Prime 2, like the Link to the Past Dark World stuff..but I thought the Dark World was kinda cool in Zelda...it can't be that bad, can it?

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
Starting a replay of this (just MP1) tomorrow so I'll keep my "rttp" impressions here I guess (if that's okay).

let's see if your unreasonable and extreme for the game subsides a bit with a better control scheme... :p

theultimo said:
I heard bad things about Prime 2, like the Link to the Past Dark World stuff..but I thought the Dark World was kinda cool in Zelda...it can't be that bad, can it?

don't listen to the haters. echoes is not "quite bad". just look at the reviews.
it expanded over prime's concepts and did some things better/some things worse.

it is a more difficult and at times suffocating experience, which is why it is an interesting game. There are parts that are a bit tedious compared to the first, but the puzzles are deeper. Some environments are a little bit dark and gloomy, but some environments will wow you. Some bosses are awesome. Echoes is Retro doing metroid without restrictions. No concern about pleasing fans with Prime 1, no concerns about streamlining and making it accessible with prime 3.

I would suggest taking a break between both games. But if you enjoy prime 1 you will definitely enjoy prime 2.

AniHawk

amtentori said:
let's see if your unreasonable and extreme for the game subsides a bit with a better control scheme... :p

well i plan on using red scarlet's playthrough as a sorta guide for sbing. so i'll be playing the gc version.

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
well i plan on using red scarlet's playthrough as a sorta guide for sbing. so i'll be playing the gc version.

Red scarlet did do some pretty awesome things. looking forward to renewed impressions...
getting space boots early will definitely streamline things a bit.

scitek

radioheadrule83 said:
I didn't complete Echoes on the cube, but I did on the Wii... I just found it more palatable with pointer controls. Easily up there with the best Nintendo games of all time.

That, and it's actually easier.

I found Echoes to be satisfyingly frustrating, if that makes any sense. It seemed to be developed with the mindset of stumping the hardened "expanding map formula" gamer, and it did just that with me. In fact, I loved almost everything about Echoes, with its only real issues coming from its story...er, the presentation of it rather. It really pulled away from the "metroid experience" so to speak in that regard, but not nearly as much as Corruption did. I loved the game, just be prepared to go to battle on that one.

Prime 2 still has the best menu in history though :D

Trent Strong said:
Metroid Prime itself. I tried to beat that asshole probably 20 times and I couldn't do it. I'll never go back. Loved the rest of the game though.

I never "got" how some people found the final boss so hard. Yeah, it was a long and tedious battle but I had more trouble with the two bosses prior to Prime.

theultimo said:

There's a lot of traveling between Light and Dark and Light and Dark at some points because not every area has both a Light and a Dark version. So sometimes you end up portal hopping between worlds in order to reach your destination. It can get a bit confusing. :lol

My biggest gripe with Echoes is how fetchquesty it can get in certain parts. Top notch bosses and ramped up difficulty compared to Prime are pluses in my book though.

Top Bottom