• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic starting July 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...s-to-police-your-traffic-starting-july-12.ars

During a panel discussion held for U.S. publishers today, RIAA chairman Cary Sherman said his association and a number of ISPs—including AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon—will begin policing traffic to crack down on piracy starting this summer.

The deal is not new, however—the RIAA and the participating ISPs came to this agreement last June. But the delay was bureaucratic: according to CNET, Sherman explained that, "each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system, He gave July 12 as the "start date" for the traffic monitoring to start.

"The system" according to Torrent Freak, involves major labels monitoring BitTorrent and other peer-to-peer networks for copyright infringement, and then reporting that infringement to ISPs, who will monitor their networks for the transgressors.

Once an ISP has determined that you're accessing pirated material, there will be an "Initial Education step" in which customers are informed that they're engaging in an illegal act. A customer may get one or two of these education notices and, if the pirating doesn't stop, they'll be issued another warning. This warning will require acknowledgment of receipt, "along with a pledge to end infringing activity from the account," according to TorrentFreak. If that doesn't take, the ISP will issue a Mitigation Measure Copyright Alert, which could involve throttling or curtailing the connection, although it won't yet lead to a total cut off. (Here's Ars' rundown on how to challenge a Mitigation Alert.)

Still, there are several holes in the policing scheme the copyright holders and the ISPs have set up. Peer-to-peer services will be the most affected here, and materials downloaded using a VPN, downloaded from an obscure torrent site, or downloaded from media portals will likely be unaffected.

TheNatural

My Member!
They can't monitor things like file downloading or Usenet I'm guessing. In other words, they're going to track IP's more from Pirate Bay, Demonoid, and others I'm guessing.

NawidA

Banned
What frustrates me is that it's all tied to my location. So I was getting copyright notices for movies that other people were downloading. And if it gets cut off then we're all fucked because it's not like there are cable alternatives in my area.

What frustrates me is that it's all tied to my location. So I was getting copyright notices for movies that other people were downloading. And if it gets cut off then we're all fucked because it's not like there are cable alternatives in my area.

Why are other people accessing your network?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh, fuck off. It's just supposed to be a dumb pipe.

Angry Fork

This has been happening for years. A friend of mine has been given like 5 notices. I got one last year from HBO over Boardwalk Empire (I thought it was a joke because the person who 'found' my IP was named Hussein Osama, no joke that's what it said on the letter. I was thinking no wonder he's mad at the world he must've been bullied all his life). I stopped torrenting since I got a netflix account though.

Instead of companies trying to find new ways to innovate and sell through the digital age they want to choke the internet to bend to it's will. Fuck RIAA and ISPs that agree to this BS. If you create services like netflix and Steam and stop overcharging you'll get so many more people than you lose to pirating. People who can afford things and still pirate from good artists/designers are just douchebags and will always find new ways to pirate. RIAA doesn't understand how the internet works.

Grinchy

Banned
and materials downloaded using a VPN, downloaded from an obscure torrent site, or downloaded from media portals will likely be unaffected.

Well, I guess this is only going to hurt the people who torrent pirated material and have no idea how to use the internet.

The punishment is throttling? They already throttle.
No shit. Innocent, paying customers are already throttled down from advertised speeds.

This has been happening for years. A friend of mine has been given like 5 notices. I got one last year from HBO over Boardwalk Empire (I thought it was a joke because the person who 'found' my IP was named Hussein Osama, no joke that's what it said on the letter. I was thinking no wonder he's mad at the world he must've been bullied all his life). I stopped torrenting since I got a netflix account though.

Instead of companies trying to find new ways to innovate and sell through the digital age they want to choke the internet to bend to it's will. Fuck RIAA and ISPs that agree to this BS. If you create services like netflix and Steam and stop overcharging you'll get so many more people than you lose to pirating. People who can afford things and still pirate from good artists/designers are just douchebags and will always find new ways to pirate. RIAA doesn't understand how the internet works.

Ahahaha.

Biff

Is this how the internet is going to be in 50 years?

RIAA and ISPs working to monitor quad-VPN BitTorrent 4.0, spending millions. Tech-savvy users laugh and install BitTorrent 5.0, rinse and repeat.

usea

Because not being able to pirate things means your freedom is being violated.

Tell me you're not that laughable.
Downloading something doesn't mean you don't have the right to it. They have no way to tell. They're just going to assume anybody downloading something should be penalized.

Angry Fork

Piracy is not a competitor. How does a record company adapt to music being freely available and easily downloadable?

By offering service/goods for cheap and easier to get than pirating. I don't use itunes but it's convenient because everything is in one spot, you can search for something, get it for a dollar, transfer it to your idevices and you're done.

This kind of service has no doubt pulled in millions upon millions of people who likely used to pirate on kazaa or limewire or something. But then these new services became better and easier than kazaa and people felt it was worth the money than whatever shitty risky downloads you'd get with P2P. The same applies to Steam and netflix.

These companies love capitalism dog-eat-dog until it turns out you don't have the largest market share anymore and they have to risk losing money to get back in the game, then all of a sudden they cry and moan. They're afraid of competing with itunes, netflix etc. and instead of trying to build something to compete with them they take a side road and choke the internet.

Loofy

if torrenting music ever became a risky endeavour people would just rip from youtube.
Alot of people will do that sure. But alot of people will also be driven to get 320kbps legal downloads instead of 128kbps youtube rips. And thats a win for the record labels.

Pctx

Banned
SSH, vpn and seed boxes thumb their nose at the fucktards at the RIAA that are screwing over our 4th Amendment. I hope a civil suit comes out of this because this country is quickly going down the shitter with companies not protecting their consumer base. Guilty until proven guiltier.

Piracy is not a competitor. How does a record company adapt to music being freely available and easily downloadable?
Provide better service, and realize that people who pirate are not and will never be your customers.

Record companies happen to be screwed, because artists can now make and distribute music without reporting to the borg.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SSH, vpn and seed boxes thumb their nose at the fucktards at the RIAA that are screwing over our 4th Amendment. I hope a civil suit comes out of this because this country is quickly going down the shitter with companies not protecting their consumer base. Guilty until proven guiltier.

i think the 4th amendment only applies to the government, doesnt it?

By offering service/goods for cheap and easier to get than pirating. I don't use itunes but it's convenient because everything is in one spot, you can search for something, get it for a dollar, transfer it to your idevices and you're done.

This kind of service has no doubt pulled in millions upon millions of people who likely used to pirate on kazaa or limewire or something. But then these new services became better and easier than kazaa and people felt it was worth the money than whatever shitty risky downloads you'd get with P2P. The same applies to Steam and netflix.

These companies love capitalism dog-eat-dog until it turns out you don't have the largest market share anymore and they have to risk losing money to get back in the game, then all of a sudden they cry and moan. They're afraid of competing with itunes, netflix etc. and instead of trying to build something to compete with them they take a side road and choke the internet.

There are more legal and affordable avenues to obtain music, yet piracy remains high. Free will always win over any paid service. I don't see the RIAA competing with itunes, as itunes is the single largest revenue stream the recording industry has. The RIAA is simply trying to find ways to make priacy more difficult, which I have no problem with.

Pctx

Banned
i think the 4th amendment only applies to the government, doesnt it?
My point is the RIAA is backed by Dodd and others who are on a unholy crusade to hunt down pirates in the most retarded methods known to mankind. This of course in the vein of protecting IP. Now, i am all for protecting copyrights but the methodology in curtailing piracy is akin to giving a gun to a 5 yr old and having him shoot in the dark.

Loofy

You say to compete with piracy there needs to be a service thats cheap and easy, but then you go on to say that such a service does in fact exist(itunes). Im not really sure what youre trying to say here, we still have piracy and the RIAA isnt targetting legal downloads from iTunes.

Angry Fork

You say to compete with piracy there needs to be a service thats cheap and easy, but then you go on to say that such a service does in fact exist(itunes). Im not really sure what youre trying to say here, we still have piracy and the RIAA isnt targetting legal downloads from iTunes.

RIAA is butt hurt that they don't get 100% of the revenue from itunes. They're being greedy and trying to choke the internet because they don't make 1980s Michael Jackson money anymore. I don't care if they go after pirates but I don't like using ISPs to spy on people to do it.

Loofy

RIAA is butt hurt that they don't get 100% of the revenue from itunes.
Where the heck did you come up with that conclusion. iTunes is a retailer like walmart or bestbuy. Retailers get a cut, labels get a cut. Its been that way for decades.

eastmen

Banned

I dunno where he gets that Itunes is cheap and Easy .

Here is what a service needs to do to get my money (not that i've bought a cd in 10 years or any new music for that matter)

1) 320kbps (can be variable)

2) 99 cent tracks at above quality

3) The service will have to let me take my music onto any of my devices. If i have a windows phone and an andriod tablet I want to be able to use the music on both.

Pipe dream

4) Bluray music , 7.1 channel music at extremely high quality bit rates using h.264 which comes bundled with the 320kbps verisons for use in other devices. I would pay up to $25 per bluray in all honesty.

Thats what a service would need for me to rebuy any of my music. Because lets face it at 30 years old I'm not really out there looking for new music , i'm quite happy with the collection i built up from 12-25 when i was really into music. i still have all those cds in mint condition (thank you mom and dad for a 2x cd burner when they first hit in 8th grade) So I have all my music in FLAC as it is and i convert down for the device.

THe problem for the RIAA is they do none of the above. They want to give us less quality than 30 year old tech and charge us more for the privlage. Then they still want people to buy music even though you can hear a new song 4 times(if not more) in one hour on the radio.

As annoyed as I am with hollywood at least they have the right idea by creating new and better formats for the movies. I could see the visual jump from vhs to dvd to bluray. I can hear a decrease in quality from my cds to my mp3s from itunes.

...EASY.

Stop delaying music to add a new bonus track or "add" some kind of "Buy this album to win a poster or a date" when you hear that it's leaked in part or in full online.

Albums leak online usually 2 or so weeks in advance, and unfortunately record companies' reaction to these leaks are "No reaction", or "Delay!"

Instead, release it digitally online, and maybe with a digital manual that ISN'T in some dumb format. Kind of like what Jay-Z/Kanye did, except they did so physically and digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom