• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pony Island |OT| Insert soul

EoCjH8I.gif

$4.99, PC/Mac/Linux
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405640/
https://youtu.be/7vLzSh1UKgs

Pony Island is a suspense puzzle game in disguise. You are in limbo, trapped in a malevolent and malfunctioning arcade machine devised by the devil himself. The devil detests having his puzzles solved and poor programming exposed; you will need to think outside the box to proceed and you will be insulted when you do.

In Pony Island you will...
- Peer behind the rotting curtain of "Pony Island" to repair its broken code
- Be forced to play along with The Devil's demented game of ponies
- Explore the depths of the cryptic software system that runs His game

Kotaku and RPS gave this glowing reviews recently
http://kotaku.com/pony-island-is-one-seriously-twisted-game-1751138242
At one point I was tricked into thinking I had accidentally sent a horrible message to someone outside the game. The tricks Pony Island played on me were so clever and effective that when I finally finished playing and closed the application, I wasn’t sure if I actually closed it. I’m still not 100 percent certain.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/05/wot-i-think-pony-island-the-smartest-game-of-2016/
This is such a treat, and I fear that the (perfect) name will mean too many people look past it. I love that it’s not mocking anything in particular when it apes early 90s arcade games, and yet feels like it’s mocking the entire universe at the same time. I love that it feels cruel, yet I couldn’t make a good argument to justify why, especially when half your time is spent jumping about a magic pony. So trust me, pick this one up.

a69bb9_bdee66cf0a2b453693797b4db8752110.png

a69bb9_8495055b52c44c20ae56df67a5f7c1a1.png

a69bb9_e2164c733a844263b48209f4a5c59bff.png

brau

Im sold already. lol.

suspense puzzle in disguise. I don't need to know more. i'll try this :D

dity

Obviously this is (Undertale spoilers)
what happens after you complete a genocide run

The premise sounds interesting, but I'm scared off by those "SET B_DATA" shenanigans in one of the screenshots. Are those there just for flavor or do you need some degree of programming knowledge to get through this?

The premise sounds interesting, but I'm scared off by those "SET B_DATA" shenanigans in one of the screenshots. Are those there just for flavor or do you need some degree of programming knowledge to get through this?
No
This is much more about exploring the screen, experimenting with the interface itself, and using instant messaging to communicate with unknown others within.

Johndoey

Banned
I love the concept of the Devil as a shitty programmer that gets super upset.

Is negative 666 a legit copyright date?

Ugh, is there a way to hide threads? Hope this isn't going to be a new thing.
Not a new thing, just thought it was fitting due to the nature of the game and a good way to grab attention since the name would probably turn people off from checking it out

Bog

Junior Ace
Not a new thing, just thought it was fitting due to the nature of the game and a good way to grab attention since the name would probably turn people off from checking it out

It's having the opposite effect. That thread title is really hard to look at on mobile.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I'm just happy it didn't break the forum, lol. Zalgo text can be a bit unpredictable.

Curious to see how deep the "break the machine" part of the game is. Promising idea, I just hope it's not all superficial scripted stuff.

Yar, I read those, but I think there's a pretty wide gulf between "not needing to learn C++" and "not needing to have programming skill whatsoever." Would you say the interface experimentation is something akin to Fallout 3's hacking?
Just downloaded the game, so I'll share some impressions, but sorry, don't know at the moment

Fat4all

Banned
FF2 wouldn't be so up front with it's weird backroom shenanigans. You'd never see the weird secret stuff on the preview page for whatever FF2 turns out to be.

Cryxok

Watched pewdiepie play it... over an hour long video, and couldn't stop. I rarely watch over 10min videos! much less one over an hour long.
The game seems to be really really good. Hopefully I get to play it myself.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Subtitle was really appropriate too =/

Appropriate how it broke on mobile too, considering the content of the game.

Watched pewdiepie play it... over an hour long video, and couldn't stop. I rarely watch over 10min videos! much less one over an hour long.
The game seems to be really really good. Hopefully I get to play it myself.

He's presenting it pretty well. Nice touch hiding the facecam to cut the distraction. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/dxIJBvACjdE

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, no. Don't do that shit with titles.

y̲̲̱͝o̖̻u̫̝͕̪̙̪̩'̸̙̭͉r̫̙̲̖ḛ̜̤ ̫̘̝͇̲͕̟ju͍̰͜s̶̳͓̯͙͇t̢͖̲͙̱̣ ̥̯̀j̢̫͕̪e̷̜͎̙ͅa̢͉͚̻̟̹l̰̯̺͇̰̖͞o͏̣̠̭̱̝ͅu̺̰̼̪s̛̟͍̞̦̙̦̘ ̙̜̯͎b̧̖̳̮̘͕ec͙͇̝̬͉͠a̱̘͇̫͇u̟̼͚̫̬ṣ̖͍e̞ ̗̗t̥̱͖̙̲̼h̜͚́e̵͚͇̮̘ ͕̫̘ͅg̮̩̤̗͕̫̻a̢̮̹̰m͍̗e͏̫ ҉̯i̛̺s͉̝ͅ ̗͕̯̻́à̦͔͖͖b̫o̳̞͘u̖̫̣̲̜̝͈͢t͟ ̜̰̙͢p͚̳͕̮̟̳̬͘òn̶̰̱͓̦i̩̙̫e̘̠ș̫ ͇̝͘i͍͖͓̼̰n͓͚̞̼͡s̗̩̗̦̤ṭ̗̮e͚̺̜̠̻̘a̳͓̣̕d ̱͍͈͈̙o̻̥̯̝̹͡f̤͢ ̶̜̙͔̹d̩̙͔̜̦̺͓u̼͎̙̣͖̭ć̥̭͕̮k̭̤͇̦̱s̤͍̠̘̝͚͠ͅ

HUELEN10

y̲̲̱͝o̖̻u̫̝͕̪̙̪̩'̸̙̭͉r̫̙̲̖ḛ̜̤ ̫̘̝͇̲͕̟ju͍̰͜s̶̳͓̯͙͇t̢͖̲͙̱̣ ̥̯̀j̢̫͕̪e̷̜͎̙ͅa̢͉͚̻̟̹l̰̯̺͇̰̖͞o͏̣̠̭̱̝ͅu̺̰̼̪s̛̟͍̞̦̙̦̘ ̙̜̯͎b̧̖̳̮̘͕ec͙͇̝̬͉͠a̱̘͇̫͇u̟̼͚̫̬ṣ̖͍e̞ ̗̗t̥̱͖̙̲̼h̜͚́e̵͚͇̮̘ ͕̫̘ͅg̮̩̤̗͕̫̻a̢̮̹̰m͍̗e͏̫ ҉̯i̛̺s͉̝ͅ ̗͕̯̻́à̦͔͖͖b̫o̳̞͘u̖̫̣̲̜̝͈͢t͟ ̜̰̙͢p͚̳͕̮̟̳̬͘òn̶̰̱͓̦i̩̙̫e̘̠ș̫ ͇̝͘i͍͖͓̼̰n͓͚̞̼͡s̗̩̗̦̤ṭ̗̮e͚̺̜̠̻̘a̳͓̣̕d ̱͍͈͈̙o̻̥̯̝̹͡f̤͢ ̶̜̙͔̹d̩̙͔̜̦̺͓u̼͎̙̣͖̭ć̥̭͕̮k̭̤͇̦̱s̤͍̠̘̝͚͠ͅ

As for the trailer? I'm sold; Bought.

How do you even do that? I see this kind of thing in the funny pics community thread every now and then.

How do you even do that? I see this kind of thing in the funny pics community thread every now and then.

i̟͔̬̺̾̏ͩ̄ͦ̈ͩ̄͢͠͞t̛̿̅ͫ̿̽́̒͗̽ͥ͏҉͔̙̭̝̥'̶̨̹̟̮͉̦͌̓̓̎͂̑ͨ͒̂̐̿͐͒͡ş̪̞͖̖͈̫͉̥͙͔̺̤̱̂ͦ̓͜͠͠͠ͅ ̴̺͉̮̞̺͎̝̇ͪ̏̓ͨ̀̃ͩ͌ͯ͐̽̈͢͜ă̴̯̩̬͙̭̼͓̈́ͪ̋̉̍̀ ̸̒ͪ͊̈̓͛͛͜҉̜̯̹͎m̨̘̼̜̩̬͇̲̖̺̫͚̤̦͈͎͔̗̱̠̐ͤ̔ͩͥ̀̕͜y̨͕͔̺͚͓̬̯̗̲̯̠͍̤͈̜̥̻̐̓̌ͦͭ͆̄͛ͣͩ̓̂͛̍̓̉̎̇̀͡s̵̷̡͈̯͔̟̙̯̙͎̯̑̓́̈́̑ͮ͆ͧ̂̄̽͗́̓̚͘t̸̺͈̱͔͇͙̫̙̖͉͎͚̭̙͕̼͕̃̆̐͆͂ͪ͆ͨͤ̽͌̆ͪ̏̏ͥ͠e̴̜͓͔͕̪̟̹͉ͮ͒͐͛ͯ̓͌̏̅̄ͪͫ͌̒ŗ̶̡͚̰̭͍̺̹̥̝͈̫̟͍̏̃͐̒͂̏ͯ͜͠ͅy̴̌ͮͦ̓ͬ̈́͌̓ͬ̓͝҉̗͖̗̼̣̜͈̫̫̣͈̬ͅ ̵͔̪̘̖͍̗̻̰̹́ͯ̇́̌͗̆͑̿ͥ̐͐ͦ̅ͤ͝t̴̒̓̔ͯ͂̓̃̉̑̔̑̚҉̸̧͙͖̬͔o̡̳̩̭̱͖͍̙̳̍̌̅̍͒ͯ͂ͨ͛̊ͧͩ́͟͠͞ ̧̞͇̟͍͙̩͑̉ͥ̂ȩ̟̥̪̲̯̝̥̺̙͙̞͗̓ͦ͋͐͞v̛̇̉ͪ̽͊ͧ̍ͤͭͭ̈́̅̇ͤ̚̚҉̱͔̜̯̞̜̖̬̣̖͓͜ȩ̵̩̬͈̼̫̻̫̥̜̠̩͉̫͔̰̙̯͐̏ͧ̇̐͆̾̍ͥ͐ͨ̌ͯ̕ͅr͎̥̦̥͎͉͔̝̲̘͓͚͓̦͇̝̅͊͒ͥͩ̇̇ͨ̂̀̅̑ͨ́ỹ̵̧̼̺͙̘̦̣̖̼̪̞͔̞̱̗̝̹̖͈̮̒͂̒̓͠o̷̵̶̪̦̯̖̠̻͕͉̝͇̰̝̼̻̦͈̲̰͑ͫ̎ǹ̢͓̦͓͇̘̻̬̉̀̽̂ͯ̆ͭ̀̎̋͜͜ëͩ̀̓́̇̌̇̅̿̀̐̿̎̚͏͜͜҉͓̜̘͔͓̗͈̯̞̫͕̪̖̀

Yar, I read those, but I think there's a pretty wide gulf between "not needing to learn C++" and "not needing to have programming skill whatsoever." Would you say the interface experimentation is something akin to Fallout 3's hacking?
From what I played, the "hacking" is merely dragging and dropping different nodes so a key can reach a slot. At least that's what it's like at the start. Knowing this game, it might get more advanced, but I doubt you'll need to type any code

Jazz573

Anyone have a guess at how long this game is?

I̧̼̜̩͍̳̺̹̤̮̙͚̰͉̪͖͈͛͛͑ͦ̾͢ ̵̸̛̝͔̖̖̟͖̗̲̝͉̫͚͓̻͇̟͓̮̬͂̇͆̒̑̒̉̉̆ͦ̇́̋͘h̶̸̢͎̜͓̝̱̘̩̭̱̘̅̑ͫ͋̂͋̈ͯ̐̔̌ͨ̊ͮ̿ͣ͒̒͟͞a͔̹̥̰̙̤͈͙͖ͧͨ͑̓̃̾̎̉͛̍̌ͩ͒̓͞͞v̧̛̦̻̬͙̲̮͔͓͍̙̹͔̜ͧ̈́͑ͯ͂ͦ̾̄̕͠͡ĕ̜͇͉̤̣͕͕̠̼͈̲̱͉͉ͩͦͭ̊̀͢ ̧̢̮͙̗̺̤̆̔̽̓̂̆͊̆̀̄̉̎ṉ̞̙̖̯̹̥̩͓͎̳̮͓̤̰̂ͧ͆ͥ̓͆̑͡o̧̪͍̙͖͍̠̞͐̾̍̀̎̾̒ͣ͑̕͢ͅ ̶̸̢̧͕̗͇̩͎̪̠̝̺̖̥͈̺̰̅͂̓́̉ͣͤ͗̓̐̒ͯ̔͆ͨi̛̛̯͚̖̹̭͗ͦͫͥ̓̃ͬͯͫ̃̒ͯͩ̕͞d̨͑̅ͨͣ͑͋͌̐̽̋̋̿́̽̎҉͏̙͙̮̦̻͎̗̬̪̗͍̱ę̗̯̘̩̯̯̐̑̾ͣ̉ͫ̕͘ͅa͗ͤ̍̊̓ͧͧͥ̃ͩ̐͞͏͏̧̰̣͓̟̩͕̬͖̞̮͉̤̹̪̬̰͡ ̴̧̪̫̫̯͔̠͕̭̘̲̙̳͖͖̥̘͓̝ͤ͛͋ͩ̾ͫ̕͢h̡̡̛͓͇͉͖̞ͧ̐̄ͮ͋͋ͤͮͬ̒ͦ̇̿ͯͨ̕͡o̷̷̧͙͈̲̺̩ͣ̄͛̃̌̂̎̅͝w̴̢̖͙̙̖̦͇̖͓͚̙͕̪̺̙ͫ͌̀́ͧ̋́̎ͬͤ̓ͯͥͩ̀͟ ̧̙̩̮͚̞͙̫͈͕̘͓̰̺̦̙̫͕̮ͪ̾͋̅ͣ̽͑ͤͪ͑̅̂̂̇̽̂ͮ̏̕͘l̷̨͔̟̺̘ͮ̉̂̾̓͛̒̾͘o̼̩̼͙̪̹͎̞̻͙͙̭̅͌ͫ̉́͝n̎ͦͥͨͪ̐ͭͩͬ̊̀͑͊ͯ̌̅ͭ҉͙̩̠̰̟͙̘́͢͝͠ǵ̡̭͎̘̗͍̲̯̫̱̙͉̮͖͍̤̼ͦ̐͗̄ͥ͝ ̶̶̸̭͉̪͔͈̣̪͎̣̭̻͇͔̌̏ͯͨ̓̅̆̒̈͋ͯ̋͝į̴̗̟̟͙̏̾͑̉͒͑̄̊ͪͥ̔̋̿̇͘͠͝t͉̮͓̤̫̖̩̘̹̏͛̾ͮ̒̓ͨ̿̔̏͊͋̑ͬ̊́͠ ̴̡͔͙̦̤͙͈̮̠̭͙͕̱ͬ̒̓̎̆̿ͬ̄̿͛̈́͡i̖̜̻̪͉͇̹̮͇͊ͥ̈͌̅̊̂́͋͂ͬ̌̐̏ͤͩ͘͜s̨̩̠̤̩̣͓̙̣̥̗̱̠̰̼̭̞̙ͬ̉ͣ̽̑ͪ͌̎ͩ̍̒̈ͬ͐̃ͫ̚͜.ͦͩ̍̐ͯ͊͒̿̃̌̋̂̾͗̈́҉̢͢͏͚͈͉̩͉͔̻̕ͅ ̵̵̷̬͈̫͉̭̺̖͇̘̣̬̪̝͖͎̗͙̘̋ͥ͗̂̀̒ͮ̽ͧ͊̾̀̚:̷̡̣̬͍̤̜͉̺̙̙̭̥̖͈ͤ̀ͩ̇̓͑ͭP̞̮̜̗̟̝̝̖̱͍̤̩̗̏ͬͨͦͩͪ̌̈́̔̓ͮͩ̓ͤ̔̚̚̕͡

Top Bottom