• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don King Presents: Prizefighter To Use Wii Fit Balance Board

Jasper

Don_King_Prizefighter_Wii.jpg

Washington (dbTechno) - It has been confirmed that the upcoming boxing game from 2K Sports, Don King Presents: Prizefighter will use the Wii Fit Balance Board for controls.

The confirmation came from Matthew Seymour, Executive Producer at 2K Europe.

The upcoming boxing game will make full use of the Wii Fit Balance Board during various aspects of the game.

The Balance Board is going to be used in many of the training mini-games. This will include push-ups, jump rope, etc. This means that you will be basically training right along with your fighter as you move up the ranks.

Seymour stated they are working with boxing trainers to put together workouts with the Balance Board that are true to life.

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008...ts-prizefighter-to-use-wii-fit-balance-board/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wait, do you not use it for the actual boxing?

Espio

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186860

Can you reveal anything about the DS and Wii versions? We assume you're gunning for the motion controls in the latter?

Seymour: The DS version will have all the music and commentary [from the home versions] but it's a first-person view - you can use the stylus or the buttons to fight.

The Wii we're excited about, because everyone's craving a proper boxing game on the Wii where you can use the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk.

But in addition to that, we're bringing Wii Fit and the Balance Board - you'll be able to use those for training. So stuff like the jump rope game we have, you can be on the Balance Board and have the Wii Remote in your back pocket.

We have top boxing trainers putting together a workout routine, and using the BMI indicators that Nintendo put out you can actually get a boxing workout using Wii Prizefighter.

Could you actually get as fit as a boxer with it then?

Seymour: You'll get pretty damn fit, yeah. It's a workout - even the silly Wii Sports one is a workout. We intend to give you a real one with the Balance Board.

I have the Balance Board at work and it is tiring. But they do it with the BMI index to make sure you don't over work yourself; it says 'hey, you've done good, go and have a beer now' (laughs)... well, they don't say that but they should.

This has actually gotten me somewhat interested in the game now! You better be able to use it in the boxing matches or it`s all for nothing!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Don King Presents: Prizefighter To Use Wii Fit Balance Board

Only a matter of time before third parties started using the Balance Board for real games in logical wa

The Balance Board is going to be used in many of the training mini-games. This will include push-ups, jump rope, etc. This means that you will be basically training right along with your fighter as you move up the ranks.

...the answer is right in front of them, and they still think of mini-games. It's right there. Why do they think "1 + 1 = MINIGAMES."

That is pretty cool.

But does it say anything about boxing gameplay, like if you're standing on the board, couldn't you theoretically duck and weave out of the way of punches?

The-Switcher said:
That is pretty cool.

But does it say anything about boxing gameplay, like if you're standing on the board, couldn't you theoretically duck and weave out of the way of punches?

You could, But I wager you'd have to completely sacrifice footwork, which would make you a veritable punching bag.

DeaconKnowledge said:
You could, But I wager you'd have to completely sacrifice footwork, which would make you a veritable punching bag.

Cuz there was some arcade boxing game I played a few years ago that was like it, and it was awesome.

Vagabundo

Crushed said:
Only a matter of time before third parties started using the Balance Board for real games in logical wa

...the answer is right in front of them, and they still think of mini-games. It's right there. Why do they think "1 + 1 = MINIGAMES."

I must be thick.

I dont get it.

The-Switcher said:
Cuz there was some arcade boxing game I played a few years ago that was like it, and it was awesome.

I know the one you're talking about. It's by Konami and it's ridiculously cheap. Still fun though.

Link Man

Banned
Crushed said:

Wow, how long have you been back?

Glad to see that you finally became a full member.:D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So wait, is it right for me to put this game on my radar?! It's not just a third rate budget effort but they're actually working hard to develop a proper game?

The "everyone has been craving for a proper box game on Wii" bit has me excited.
Nice about the balance board work out, I would have loved to also dodge the punch shifting weight though, something a la soccer headers minigame on Wi-Fit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I REALLY hope the new Zelda combines the Wii board, Zapper, Wheel, and unnannounced boomerang holster for the nunchuck(expect PR soon), into one fantabulous orgy of plastic cosplay gaming awesome.

It could be the ultimate end result of Nintendo's current mantra!

Brandon F said:
I REALLY hope the new Zelda combines the Wii board, Zapper, Wheel, and unnannounced boomerang holster for the nunchuck(expect PR soon), into one fantabulous orgy of plastic cosplay gaming awesome.

Shhh. They could be listening!

JDSN

Banned
The upcoming boxing game will make full use of the Wii Fit Balance Board during various aspects of the game.

Ooh shit so-

Idiots.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Brandon F said:

:lol :lol

Dunlop

Crushed said:

No Wi Fit is still a peripheral they will not design a game around it as not every Wii owner will have Wii Fit so you a fracturing your potential audience (see:Sega CD or 32X).

If (when) it sells like gangbusters that might change.

later

Dunlop said:
No Wi Fit is still a peripheral they will not design a game around it as not every Wii owner will have Wii Fit so you a fracturing your potential audience (see:Sega CD or 32X).

If (when) it sells like gangbusters that might change.

The problem is that it will not sell like gangbusters to the target demographic of this boxing game.

Vaxadrin

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I guess that it will help elevating your brain so you can win in the game.

You've got to educate, educate, and re-educate.

When life hands you lemonade, you make lemonade.

lopaz

Banned
Crushed said:

Exactly

DeaconKnowledge said:

Couldn't you still use the nunchuck analog for that?

witness

Interesting. Wonder if its going to turn out where 3rd parties will be helping WiiFit sell by making their games compatible with the balance board....

This makes the third official game announcement of third party Wii Balance Board compatibility after Namco Bandai's We Ski and THQ's All-Star Cheer Squad. We still have to hear about EA's game(s) - and I would be wondering why Nintendo hasn't already announced any other games supporting it, but then again, they haven't announced -any- games past this spring, so...

I wonder if this is just a small surge of "token" support, or if the Balance Board will continue to be supported in the years to come.

Flakster99

Hah. The wives and gf are huge Wii boxing fans and will undoubtedly want to pay attention to Prizefighter. I was mildly interested in WiiFit, but combining boxing, foot placement with 2 wiimotes, this has a lot of potential for some nice in-game applications.

/interested +1

andydumi said:
In real boxing you move your feet, which does not work with the board...

And I'm sure the punching motions of the Wii remote will be just like real boxing too.

Come on, we already know they can use the balance board for dodging back and forth (soccer mini-game in Wii Fit). Just extend that knowledge just a tiny bit more.

Alphahawk

Somehow doing pushups in my family room to simulate my guy on screen doing pushups in a virtual world doesn't appeal to me. (I know the same could be said for Wiifit but at least they attempt to be creative with thier BB minigames) Jump Roping could be cool however.

Actually now that this news has come to light the future of the balance board is looking a lot like the future of the eyetoy back in the day, lots and lots of minigames...

123rl

This is the first thing I've read about the Wii Fit board that sounds like a good idea. The whole thing is absolutely terrible on so many levels, but this sounds VERY interesting. If it works then I'll buy another Wii just for this game because (legitimate) boxing training is one of the best forms of exercise. And, unlike the crap in Wii Fit, it will actually improve your health, strength, and fitness, not just make you shed a few pounds

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am more interested now. I really thought that this was going to be sort of like Showtime Boxing. I am still waiting for the reviews though.

Bizzyb

Banned
This could be a good thing. I always though more gamers needed to get into shape, but good lord I hope they have some kind of warnings in the game. Last thing they need is for some poor sap to drop dead from overexertion

Top Bottom