• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG " ... we will look at ("Song of the South") again."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...erails-disney-annual-shareholder-meeting.aspx

Beyond that ... The only other news that might interest all you hardcore Disneyana fans out there is that the company is now revisiting its decision not to release "Song of the South" on DVD. When quizzed by Carol Koster about the current status of this 1946 Walt Disney Productions release, Iger first expressed his concerns about the film. Wondering aloud if it would actually be possible for today's audiences to put this picture in the proper context.

But Bob (while making no promises about what might happen next with this historic motion picture) then went on to say that " ... we will look at ("Song of the South") again. And Dick Cook (I.E. The Chairman of Walt Disney Studios) would be in charge of that effort."

ManaByte

Gold Member
bune duggy said:
part of me wants to see this again. The other part of me has seen Fantasia on DVD and knows the same fate probably awaits Song of the South.

If they censor it the way they censored Fantasia, after all these years of people demanding a US home video release, it would be a disaster they wouldn't want to face.

They just need to do it like one of the Disney Treasures releases with someone important on the disc explaining the movie's context.

ManaByte

Gold Member
levious said:
what did they censor in Fantasia?

Sunflower1.jpg

"Removed" in 1969 from the movie and hasn't been in any release since.

They didn't actually edit out the scene. They just zoomed in so any shot with Sunflower can't be seen.

Finally, for its 60th Anniversary DVD release in the year 2000, Disney restored all of the visual elements from the Deems Taylor segments that had been cut from the film in 1942 and 1946, and was able to reconstruct the original 124-minute 1940 version, complete with intermission. However, most of the audio for the long-unseen Taylor scenes was unusable or missing, so Disney brought in voice actor Corey Burton to re-record all of Taylor's lines. Although it was advertised as the "original uncut" version, portions from Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 were censored by zooming in to avoid showing the centaur Sunflower. With the exception of these changes (and the lack of a credit sequence as the restored version resembled the original 1940 release), this is the most complete version of the film that currently exists. The restored version of Fantasia debuted in June 2000 at the Animation Film Festival in Annecy, France; accompanying its sequel, Fantasia 2000.

Ronabo

Wow I never knew Fantasia was censored. I saw the re-release years ago in the theater, that was a great experience.

I'd love to "own" Song of the South on DVD.

i don't get it what's wrong with that babe centaur? are her boobs exposed?

they also didn't have a problem with the blackface character cleaning her feet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(film)

Finally, for its 60th Anniversary DVD release in the year 2000, Disney restored all of the visual elements from the Deems Taylor segments that had been cut from the film in 1942 and 1946, and was able to reconstruct the original 124-minute 1940 version, complete with intermission. However, most of the audio for the long-unseen Taylor scenes was unusable or missing, so Disney brought in voice actor Corey Burton to re-record all of Taylor's lines. Although it was advertised as the "original uncut" version, portions from Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 were censored by zooming in to avoid showing the centaur Sunflower. With the exception of these changes (and the lack of a credit sequence as the restored version resembled the original 1940 release), this is the most complete version of the film that currently exists. The restored version of Fantasia debuted in June 2000 at the Animation Film Festival in Annecy, France; accompanying its sequel, Fantasia 2000.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Sunflower1.jpg

EDIT: see, this is what happens when you start a post and then have to go change your sons diaper.

swoon

talking head said:

weepy

talking head said:

you serious? :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom