• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SEN/PSN Terms of Service?

cjp

Did everyone have to accept an updated terms of service today before being able to log in? I had to do it this morning and didn't think much of it, but I was just looking at the EU blog and I came across this comment:

Alexiel-FR said:
why does sony never talks about their new policy like the one i had to accept today , from my ps4, because it wasnt able to connect to psn to predownload driveclub, some nive stuff to learn, like the fact that now , previous owned games via PS+ if u quit the ps + program for let’s say 2 month, you wont be able to download all previous owned game via the program , nice touch, instead of restricting players rights , and habing a pitiful after sale service, you should do like Ms add a plex application to the ps4 , a youtube app, DLNA ect.. ect… NO MAJOR UPDATE for PS4 in this first year.. when u compared to the main competitor… like on the ps3 era, you realize, that it has been always like this since the xbox 360 / PS3 release… seeing plex available freely on 360 and xbox One… you must fo something instead of restrciting our customer rights over digital content rent or purchased.

It's by a French poster, so excuse the quality of English. I can't tell if they are talking about losing access to the "free" games if your subscription lapses, which has always has been the case and expected, or if they're implying something else? Losing access to games you've bought that had a PS Plus discount? Not regaining access to previous "free" titles if you re subscribe?

Does anyone else have any info on todays ToS update? I tried to find a copy of them online but even the ones on the SEN/PSN websites seem to only have been updated back in July, certainly not this month.

EDIT: Appears to be EU only and the correct and most up to date version of the ToS don't seem to support the claim made above in the comment.

alr1ght said:
Here is a pastebin of the TOS when I logged into my UK account
http://pastebin.com/ARfVpZP1

10.Subscriptions (including PlayStation®Plus and Music Unlimited)
When you purchase a paid subscription or use a free trial subscription for services via the SEN:
(i)Paid and trial subscriptions are offered to you for a specific subscription period explained prior to purchase or use.
(ii)When you purchase or redeem a voucher for a subscription using your SEN wallet or start a free trial subscription, 'Automatic Funding' for your SEN wallet will be automatically turned "On" if you have registered a payment method (e.g. a credit or debit card). You can switch Automatic Funding "Off" at any time via your SEN account management page.
(iii)Your subscriptions will automatically renew at the end of each subscription period, provided we can deduct the subscription charge from your SEN wallet unless:
a. you cancel the subscription prior to the end of the current subscription period;
b. you do not have enough funds in your wallet and Automatic Funding is "Off" or you do not have a registered payment method; or
c. we cancel the renewal for any reason.
This includes any free trial subscription, which will renew into a paid subscription unless you cancel it prior to the end of the free trial.
(iv)When your subscription renews, we will deduct the subscription charge from your SEN wallet. If you do not have sufficient funds in your SEN wallet and 'Automatic Funding' is "On", we will use your registered payment method to automatically add funds to your wallet with the minimum amount required to pay for the subscription (or the minimum top-up amount, if greater).
(v)The price of your subscription will remain the same unless we notify you in advance by email to the email address registered to your account when you will have the option to cancel before the price rise takes effect.
(vi)If you already have a paid or free trial subscription and purchase another subscription for the same service, your current subscription will not renew at the end of the current subscription period and the new subscription will begin.
(vii)If you terminate a subscription at any time after the 14 day cooling off period, it will continue until the end of any subscription period(s) you have paid for and then termination will take effect. After termination, you may no longer be able to access or use all or part of the products you downloaded via the subscription.

PlayStation Plus Subscriptions
When you purchase a subscription to PlayStation Plus, the package of products in the subscription varies throughout your subscription period and some of the products may be available for non-subscribers to purchase. You may not be able to access all of the products that are part of the PlayStation Plus package. For instance, some of the products may be:
(i)compatible with specified Sony systems only;
(ii)available for download during limited periods only;
(iii)rated and inaccessible to Sub Accounts with a lower registered age; and/or
(iv)unavailable or unusable after your subscription period expires (even if downloaded before expiry).
These restrictions may be outlined at the time of purchase or at eu.playstation.com/legal. Please make sure you understand these restrictions before purchasing.

Andrefpvs

I can confirm there was a new ToS that I had to accept today. I was in a hurry, so I skimmed it, but that doesn't sound too good.

Edit: Might be Europe only.

Toki767

I don't think he's reading it right. PS store is so shoddy anyway that I don't think they could revoke games that are "Purchased" with ease even if they wanted to.

Harp

Is this a xbox promotion. Why does Microsoft get so much credit for fixing a broken OS? Or for features that are not even in the os yet.

Caayn

Just had to accept it, EU/NL.
like the fact that now , previous owned games via PS+ if u quit the ps + program for let’s say 2 month, you wont be able to download all previous owned game via the program
Welp, there's even less reason for me now to resubscribe to PS+. Well done Sony.

Raonak

Banned
I had to accept a new ToS, obviously didn't read.

Hope this is just a shoddy mistranslation... Cause fuck that

Flandy

Haven't had to accept anything (US here) but even if this was in the TOS I doubt they'd actually remove the games. Just imagine the PR nightmare that would happen if they started removing those games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why don't you find a copy of the new TOS before jumping to conclusions based on a broken English blog comment?

Mesoian

If true, it's huge, but expected. With PSNow getting ready to roll out, pulling the old PSN library down must be on Sony's list.

Sony should be put on blast for this though. It's a hell of a thing to sneak through.

so...is this implying that you can't download previously purchased ps+ games after resubbing? because obviously without resubbing you wont get them, which has always been the case.

vypek

Why don't you find a copy of the new TOS before jumping to conclusions based on a broken English blog comment?

so...is this implying that you can't download previously purchased ps+ games after resubbing? because obviously without resubbing you wont get them, which has always been the case.

Yeah, the quote in the OP isn't really something to get riled up over until we know for sure. Need to actually see the ToS or if the poster who was quoted was misinformed about something. This isn't very clear.

I think the post suggests that if you re-sub after a month or two off, you forfeit your Plus collection.

I had to agree to the terms earlier, didn't read them (I really must start reading these things).

Utter bullshit if this is the case, i'll login and see if I can track the terms down.

cjp

1) I haven't jumped to any conclusions. I asked for information that anyone might have regarding the update to the ToS and that comment made on the blog. Jumping to conclusions would me be creating a post implying this as 100% correct, factual information. It doesn't take an amazing reading comprehension to see I haven't done that.

2) I said in the OP that the only SEN/PSN services I can see are dated July 2014 and don't reflect today's change. I can't check on the PS4 directly because it won't sign in (again).

Neither the new ToS (Part 10.) or the PS+ guidelines on eu.playstation.com/legal mention this change.

Yep, no mention of it. To clarify:

6. What happens when your PlayStation Plus membership is cancelled
If you cancel your PlayStation®Plus membership you will continue to have access to all of your PlayStation Plus membership benefits until the end of any previously purchased subscription periods. We do not provide refunds for subscription charges previously paid in line with our Terms of Service and User Agreement, unless required by local law.
Once your PlayStation Plus membership ends, content you previously downloaded at no cost as part of the membership (such as the Instant Game Collection) will no longer be available. However, free avatars and content you purchased at a discounted PlayStation Plus price is yours to keep.
If your PlayStation Plus membership expires and you renew it at a later date, you will regain access to content that you have previously downloaded through PlayStation Plus.
We can close your account it you don’t use it for 24 months.
Please note if your membership is cancelled as a result of a ban due to breach of the Community Code of Conduct you will not be refunded for any unused period of your membership.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Here is a pastebin of the TOS when I logged into my UK account
http://pastebin.com/ARfVpZP1

10.Subscriptions (including PlayStation®Plus and Music Unlimited)
When you purchase a paid subscription or use a free trial subscription for services via the SEN:
(i)Paid and trial subscriptions are offered to you for a specific subscription period explained prior to purchase or use.
(ii)When you purchase or redeem a voucher for a subscription using your SEN wallet or start a free trial subscription, 'Automatic Funding' for your SEN wallet will be automatically turned "On" if you have registered a payment method (e.g. a credit or debit card). You can switch Automatic Funding "Off" at any time via your SEN account management page.
(iii)Your subscriptions will automatically renew at the end of each subscription period, provided we can deduct the subscription charge from your SEN wallet unless:
a. you cancel the subscription prior to the end of the current subscription period;
b. you do not have enough funds in your wallet and Automatic Funding is "Off" or you do not have a registered payment method; or
c. we cancel the renewal for any reason.
This includes any free trial subscription, which will renew into a paid subscription unless you cancel it prior to the end of the free trial.
(iv)When your subscription renews, we will deduct the subscription charge from your SEN wallet. If you do not have sufficient funds in your SEN wallet and 'Automatic Funding' is "On", we will use your registered payment method to automatically add funds to your wallet with the minimum amount required to pay for the subscription (or the minimum top-up amount, if greater).
(v)The price of your subscription will remain the same unless we notify you in advance by email to the email address registered to your account when you will have the option to cancel before the price rise takes effect.
(vi)If you already have a paid or free trial subscription and purchase another subscription for the same service, your current subscription will not renew at the end of the current subscription period and the new subscription will begin.
(vii)If you terminate a subscription at any time after the 14 day cooling off period, it will continue until the end of any subscription period(s) you have paid for and then termination will take effect. After termination, you may no longer be able to access or use all or part of the products you downloaded via the subscription.

PlayStation Plus Subscriptions
When you purchase a subscription to PlayStation Plus, the package of products in the subscription varies throughout your subscription period and some of the products may be available for non-subscribers to purchase. You may not be able to access all of the products that are part of the PlayStation Plus package. For instance, some of the products may be:
(i)compatible with specified Sony systems only;
(ii)available for download during limited periods only;
(iii)rated and inaccessible to Sub Accounts with a lower registered age; and/or
(iv)unavailable or unusable after your subscription period expires (even if downloaded before expiry).
These restrictions may be outlined at the time of purchase or at eu.playstation.com/legal. Please make sure you understand these restrictions before purchasing.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It's been a few months since the last Sony outrage. That being said, how about someone go find a copy of the new ToS first?

EDIT: Outrage cancelled. I know someone out there was really looking forward to it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

If you cancel your PlayStation®Plus membership you will continue to have access to all of your PlayStation Plus membership benefits until the end of any previously purchased subscription periods. We do not provide refunds for subscription charges previously paid in line with our Terms of Service and User Agreement, unless required by local law.
Once your PlayStation Plus membership ends, content you previously downloaded at no cost as part of the membership (such as the Instant Game Collection) will no longer be available. However, free avatars and content you purchased at a discounted PlayStation Plus price is yours to keep.
If your PlayStation Plus membership expires and you renew it at a later date, you will regain access to content that you have previously downloaded through PlayStation Plus.
Please note if your membership is cancelled as a result of a ban due to breach of the Community Code of Conduct you will not be refunded for any unused period of your membership.

That's that I guess.

oti

Banned
Had to accept it in Germany as well, read through that thing and no mention of this change. So yeah, let's be up in arms about something else.

WHY DID THEY DELAY CAPTAIN TOAD IN EUROPE?

fedexpeon

Banned
PS Store has a new Buy Now button btw.
It isn't Buy Now anymore, it is something Play it Now.

When you click on the button, it will state you have a cooling down period to cancel all sales.
This is big news since now you get a refund if your nephew uses PS cheatcode and buy games on your account without your consent.

Did no one notice this?
And no, you don't sign a new TOS or anything...it was weird when I saw the pop up about the cooling down process.

DonMigs85

So the free PS+ games like Sleeping Dogs can't be used anymore if I don't renew my sub within 2 months? Booo

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So the free PS+ games like Sleeping Dogs can't be used anymore if I don't renew my sub within 2 months? Booo

You can. The OP is wrong.

PS Store has a new Buy Now button btw.
It isn't Buy Now anymore, it is something Play it Now.

When you click on the button, it will state you have a cooling down period to cancel all sales.
This is big news since now you get a refund if your nephew uses PS cheatcode and buy games on your account without your consent.

Did no one notice this?
And no, you don't sign a new TOS or anything...it was weird when I saw the pop up about the cooling down process.

What a thread that was. That sounds pretty neat!

Top Bottom