• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Can't Do Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/09/0625245
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl=

Verizon Can't Do Math
Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Saturday December 09, @02:05AM
from the makes-a-strong-case-for-indian-call-centers dept.
Math It's funny. Laugh.
Blogger George Vaccaro recently had a problem with his Verizon based on an unfortunate miscommunication of currency. The crux of the matter was that he was quoted .002 cents per kilobyte for data during a trip to Canada but was charged .002 dollars. Normally this would have been an easy fix, however several humorous calls later the Verizon reps still were unable to discern the difference between the two rates. You really have to hear it to believe it. Kudos George, you have the patience of a saint.

aoi tsuki

i'm only thirty seconds into this and i don't know if i can stand this much stupidity this early in the morning.

goodcow

How would GAF explain this to them?

I think I would've just said: (based on a $72 charge with 36000K usage, which should've been $0.72)

I was quoted .002 cents per kilobyte. Go to calculator. 0.01 is one cent. 0.002 PER CENT, is:

0.01 * 0.002 = 0.00002 * 36000 = $0.72

Either way, this leaves them wide open to a class action lawsuit. Should be hilarious.

aoi tsuki

goodcow said:
How would GAF explain this to them?

I think I would've just said: (based on a $72 charge with 36000K usage, which should've been $0.72)

I was quoted .002 cents per kilobyte. Go to calculator. 0.01 is one cent. 0.002 PER CENT, is:

0.01 * 0.002 = 0.00002 * 36000 = $0.72

Either way, this leaves them wide open to a class action lawsuit. Should be hilarious.
The example he had with going to the dealership with 20,000 dollars versus 20,000 pennies should've worked. What people are having a problem with is seeing the 71.79 and thinking the 71 naturally represents dollars, not cents. Your example is right, but i wouldn't assume them to be able to understand that 1% = .01.

The guy on the phone has way more patience than i do. i would've told the second guy that i'd gladly pay the 72 cents i should've been charged, and if they had an problem with that, they could speak to my attorney.

goodcow

aoi tsuki said:
Evidentally, Google doesn't get it either.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=+.002+cents+per+KB+*+35893+KB&btnG=Search

Guess it's a difference of opinion.

What are you talking about? Google gets it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=+.002+cents+per+KB+*+35893+KB&btnG=Search
(.002 (U.S. cents per KB)) * 35 893 KB = 0.71786 U.S. dollars

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...q=+.002+dollars+per+KB+*+35893+KB&btnG=Search
(.002 (U.S. dollars per KB)) * 35 893 KB = 71.78600 U.S. dollars

http://verizonfails.ytmnd.com/

Outlaw

Banned
I'm surprised they guy calling didn't filp out, called them usless idiots and asked if they went to school :lol :lol :lol Other than that...wow....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh my god, I'm 90 seconds into this and I want to cry. I've got 21 minutes left. This is not going to go well, is it?

edit:

"And what unit is that in? Is it dollars or cents?

Well, it's per kilobyte.

Yes, but the cost. Is it in dollars or cents?

Well, let's see here...hm....uh....we're in canada...(solid minute of silence"

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
(0.002cents/kb)*(x kb)=0.002x cents. Do these people not know simple fractions? Can't believe that not a single person he got on the phone could realize this.
I would explain it like this:
0.002 is two one thousandths, so 2 cents is 1000 kb. 35 000 kb would be 2 cents times 35.

Reminds me of the woman at the superstore who had two "Buy One, Get One Free" items and wouldn't accept a 50% discount on both of them when she saw it on her receipt.

MATH AM HARD

mashoutposse

Ante Up
"Do you acknowledge the difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents?"

"No."

*thinks, 'WTF?'* "OK. Is there a difference between 1 cent and 1 dollar?"

"Yes."

"Is there a difference between half a cent and half a dollar?"

"Yes."

"So then, is there a difference between .002 cents and .002 dollars?"

"No."

:lol :lol :lol

mashoutposse said:
"Do you acknowledge the difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents?"

"No."

*thinks, 'WTF?'* "OK. Is there a difference between 1 cent and 1 dollar?"

"Yes."

"Is there a difference between half a cent and half a dollar?"

"Yes."

"So then, is there a difference between .002 cents and .002 dollars?"

"No."

:lol :lol :lol

I loved the "Well I'm not a mathetician" bit from the supervisor chic. I was like shouting "NO FVCKING SHIT BITCH!" at my laptop. :lol

Gav

This is the most frustrating thing iv heard in a loooooong time.

:lol "I think im gonna have to do this again..."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Gattsu25 said:
anyone know his blog? I wanna know what happens with this
Your reading skills = Verizon math skills.

Follow the link in the OP and you see it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
1. How many cents in one dollar? 100 cents
2. What is the rate? 0.002 cents
3. So how many KB do I get per cent? 500
4. 36000 KB / 500 KB per cent = 72 cents

This, I believe, would have been the most easy way to force their skulls into getting it.

Or

1. Let's pretend that they call "cents" "apples", ok? So something that is 10 cents is now 10 apples, okay?
2. It's 0.002 apples per KB
3. Multiply 36000 KB by 0.002 apples / KB and tell me what you get? 72 apples, right?
4. So how much is that in dollars and cents? 1 cent = 1 apple, right? So I owe you 72 cents.

castle007

Banned
I looked at the numbers for a second, and I couldn't tell the difference. But then I looked at the units and I was like oh..

OK I'm ****ing angry. There was no "haha I'm right vindication"and that chick at the end called it a difference of opinion! I really hope this gets around the internet to give these assholes the bad PR they deserve.

TheDuce22

Banned
sublime085 said:
OK I'm ****ing angry. There was no "haha I'm right vindication"and that chick at the end called it a difference of opinion! I really hope this gets around the internet to give these assholes the bad PR they deserve.

I for one am sending it to everyone I know. :lol Ive had my own problems with Verizon.

ohamsie

mamacint said:
My blood is boiling just from reading your replies...I refuse to listen to this.

I'm the same way. Just reading through the thread makes me angry, I would probably go into conniptions trying to listen to this thing.

edit: IT TAKES 22 MINUTES AND 54 SECONDS TO RESOLVE THIS?!?!??!

ohamsie said:
I'm the same way. Just reading through the thread makes me angry, I would probably go into conniptions trying to listen to this thing.

edit: IT TAKES 22 MINUTES AND 54 SECONDS TO RESOLVE THIS?!?!??!
Guess what? It still isn't resolved.

HolyStar

Banned
I see the mistake they made they read $0.002, as cents. I doubt any company would charge by 2/1000 of a cent. His bill is still $71.00 dollars not $.71. It was just that the customer rec made the mistake of saying cent when they say the charge on the computer, he was not mischarged. He owes Verizon $71.00. He could have saved a lot of trouble by just asking the customer rep to right down what the bill per killobyte was and but all signs included in. It is kind of awkward saying .002 dollars instead of cents so it was an easy mistake to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom