• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Rolf NB

So is it time yet for the chalkboard?

Suggestion:
xbox-chalkboarddxakj.jpg

But the problem is that devs and publishers will greatly suffer from this. Rising dev costs need expanding/growing, not shrinking market!

Markets can't expand forever and losing certain users that did not buy certain games do not matter to those companies which should make games for mobile also .
Companies can also make more money with the same user base thanks to DD even if market not split even of course this also depend on how big the decline going to be if there is one .
Truth is part of the market problems are companies with there 50 to 100 million advertising budget and bad management .
You think with social media it would be much cheaper to show off your game .

I disagree that the industry is fucked as some may say. To me the Wii was like a Tickle Me Elmo or Beanie Babies or basically a cultural phenomenon. It comes and it goes. This one just happened to be a video game console. So brushing that off, sure some sales are still lost to mobile and yada yada...but not enough to be so doom and gloom about. It's going to be OK.

PS4 should dominate this entire gen, and I think Xbox is in some trouble but they'll be ok and same for Nintendo this year. Nintendo needs to get rid of the Wii U though and release a new console hopefully next year.

noobasuar

Banned
Also I feel like developers have been targeting the "casual" crowd for like 7 years or whatever. Maybe that was a good idea all that time ago but maybe 7 years of "casual" players playing CoD has trained them to be fucking good at controlling a character and getting comfortable with what a game is.

It's time these developers try developing something a bit more challenging. That's why I find Titanfall interesting. It's appealing to the CoD crowd but adding the wall jumping traversal which is going to make it more difficult than CoD to get used too. But I feel after these people have been getting better and better at these games over the years, their ready and happy to move on to something with a *bit* more strategy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are you talking about "kinda worrying"? The industry is FUCKED.

this is why I am #dying at the people shitting on indie games. This is what you're getting from now on. Big budget productions will be few and far between.

This industry is absolutely LA bomba.

Let's say ps4 does amazing and outsells ps3. 90 million. Xbone will likely decline. Wii u is a corpse. The handheld market has collapsed.

HOW WE LOOKIN?

People can talk about titanfall all they want. It won't change the fact that the market overall is imploding.
Yeah we've had an overall trend of the number of games tanking and the remaining games selling more per game.

However, the rate at which games are disappearing is greater than the latter.

People keep asking where the announcements are, but frankly major publishers are just putting out 2-5 games a year with few exceptions, so the handful of titles we have, the expected annual games, and maybe a few others is all we're getting as far as AAA retail.

They'll generally sell great, but what constitutes the "mid-tier" has had its roof raised tremendously and its floor has only went up a bit (to about the ~$20 indie game level at tops with a few exceptions).

Do these number take into account digital game sales?

No, the industry is going up if you count digital, but a lot of that is mobile, DLC, and f2p games.

Mooreberg

but last gen consoles are down, software sales are down]
In relative terms, PS3 and Xbox 360 are ancient. This is a drop in hardware (and associated software) sales that probably would have happened already in the past few years if Great Depression 2.0 hadn't delayed everything to an extreme degree.

Publishers that haven't been able to print (and hoard) money with big annual franchises like Activision and Ubisoft over the extended hardware cycle are probably the ones that need to worry, because nobody in their right mind should expect PS4/One to offset drops in PS3/360 software sales for at least 18 months (if not longer). The zombie hardware cycle we just got out of is going to hurt anyone who was hoping it would last even longer.

Any expansion this gen won't be from the US, it will be from BRIC, which doesn't really bode well for Microsoft probably considering their performance outside of the Anglosphere has been underwhelming.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any expansion this gen won't be from the US, it will be from BRIC, which doesn't really bode well for Microsoft probably considering their performance outside of the Anglosphere has been underwhelming.

I also don't really expect BRIC to become a notable console market.

They're already very entrenched in F2P on PC and mobile and those offerings are notably improving in quality and popularity already.

creamsugar

fitu < 20K

just guessing

3ds: 130k
ps3: 60k
360: 50k
wii u: 55k
wii: 25k
vita: 25k

something like that. the sales of all the others have to be more than the ps4 for sony to boast that it's the ps4 and ps3 outperforming everything else combined (unless by console they meant console and not handheld).

Too mach for all of them.

What are you talking about "kinda worrying"? The industry is FUCKED.

this is why I am #dying at the people shitting on indie games. This is what you're getting from now on. Big budget productions will be few and far between.

This industry is absolutely LA bomba.

Let's say ps4 does amazing and outsells ps3. 90 million. Xbone will likely decline. Wii u is a corpse. The handheld market has collapsed.

HOW WE LOOKIN?

People can talk about titanfall all they want. It won't change the fact that the market overall is imploding.

You're ignoring the future: Quality of Life non-wearables.

Tobor

Biggest problem I see is that it's going to be a loooong time before indies start filling the enormous gap left by midtier games disappearing this last gen.

For me, at least, gaming is going to be a pretty boring place until that happens.

This is subjective of course. For me, they already have.

Biggest problem I see is that it's going to be a loooong time before indies start filling the enormous gap left by midtier games disappearing this last gen.

For me, at least, gaming is going to be a pretty boring place until that happens.

They already have. Alot of PSN/XBLA games have filled the place that mid tier games did by selling 500,000 - 2,000,000 copies via digital distribution. You might not care for those games, but they are certainly filling the void that the death of mid tier disc games left behind. State of Decay sold over 500,000 in its first week if I recall....

Gaf help me, i am scared. I just read like the first 10-12 pages or so... i didnt like what i read about the 3ds in usa. The thing is that, before that, i didnt like those threads about 3ds sales in japan in the begining of the year so...

If you're scared, buy a dog
a 2DS to help buoy Nintendo's hardware numbers.

prwxv3

Nintendo is fucked. A lot of people where wondering what would happen of the 3ds was not selling ok. Welp we are going to find out. And vita lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well at this rate last-gen has pretty much dried up, the Vita and Wii U are still ultra dead, and the 3DS is not very healthy by a long shot.

Requoting for this page:

fitu < 20K

just guessing

3ds: 130k
ps3: 60k
360: 50k
wii u: 55k
wii: 25k
vita: 25k

something like that. the sales of all the others have to be more than the ps4 for sony to boast that it's the ps4 and ps3 outperforming everything else combined (unless by console they meant console and not handheld).

Too mach for all of them.

Top Bottom