• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC day one shedule

What talks are you interested in? My recommended tech talk list:

Advanced Visual Effects with DirectX 11
10:35 Nvidia: Real Virtual Texturing - Taking Advantage of DirectX 11.2 Tiled Resources
11:00 AMD: Compute-Based GPU Particle Systems
15:00 AMD: New Ways to Use the Vertex Shader to Improve Performance
16:30 Nvida: From Terrain to Godrays - Better Use of DirectX11
17:15: AMD: Grass, Fur and Hair
AI
13:45 AiGameDev/Codeplay: Massively Parallel AI on GPGPUs with OpenCL or C++
15:00 Rolling the Dice: Leveraging Monte-Carlo Tree Search in Game AI

Full day 1 schedule below:
t1395079200z4.png

1loszb.png

2nfsnd.png

321sma.png

Edit: Source: http://schedule.gdconf.com/calendar
full spreadsheet: http://schedule.gdconf.com/src/expo...MT-07:00) Arizona&show_these_ids=all_sessions

kiyomi

Will some of these be available anywhere? I know GDC is a pretty closed-off affair normally, but I'd love to get some insight into some of this.

Xater

I only really care about the classic games postmortems. The technical stuff is not of much interest to me and neither is the business talk.

Some of the narrative talks could be interesting.

So for me it will take some time for the interesting stuff to happen:

bildschirmfoto2014-03ndj9t.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03wtkfp.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03asjle.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03wmjlf.png

Nugg

When and where do you think they would announce this?

Obsidian have two talks:
Tuesday, March 18: It's Not in the Writer's Manual: A Q&A Session for New Writers
Thursday, March 20: The Audio of South Park: Stick of Truth

No idea, I guess it could be some press release around GCD and not during a specific talk, I really don't know. I'm just quoting some news from january. We haven't heard anything since, and it could very well be bullshit. That's why I said "maybe"

Cheech

GDC typically doesn't do/allow for livestreams.

Yeah, just looking at the agenda, it's an actual tech conference.

I have a similar conference for the manufacturing software I support. These types of conferences aren't for end users.

It also costs $1000+ to attend these things, so no, it's not going to be open in any way to the outside world. Livestreams included.

Raven77

Do we typically do an "OT" for GDC? I can't remember if we had one last year. Just a place to generally put all of the new information, discussion, etc.

hodgy100

I have a similar conference for the manufacturing software I support. These types of conferences aren't for end users.

It also costs $1000+ to attend these things, so no, it's not going to be open in any way to the outside world. Livestreams included.

it cost's $1000 usd to attend E3 too ;)

As a games programming student though many of these talks are super interesting. shame i cant go :(

kiguel182

It's a shame they don't livestream this kind of stuff. I would love to watch some of them but going isn't an option.

As a computer engineer student this technical stuff is very interesting to me, and the whole business side of gaming is also something I want to learn more about.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Of course it's an actual tech conference. I'm also surprised people are thinking there will be lots of streams considering the prices of the higher tier passes. You never really see streams at tech conferences to begin with, i.e. SIGGRAPH. At most, you may see the various presenters post their slides/presentation after the fact if you don't want to pay for Vault access.

This is why so many of us who regularly attend get annoyed at the increasing PR presence year after year, more and more people are getting the perception that this is another big press event or trade fair like E3 or Gamescom.

McHuj

They will probably post some of the stuff later on gdcvault. I don't know how much laters, days or months.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I only really care about the classic games postmortems. The technical stuff is not of much interest to me and neither is the business talk.

Some of the narrative talks could be interesting.

So for me it will take some time for the interesting stuff to happen:

bildschirmfoto2014-03ndj9t.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03wtkfp.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03asjle.png

bildschirmfoto2014-03wmjlf.png
I love tech stuff!!

They get that idea because game companies and publishers like to announces games and products for consumers at GDC.

This was my understanding of it :/ With all the rumors about Sony announcing VR and what have you, it'll lead people to believe that's what it's for.

i'm interested simply because I'm a non-game dev that is interested in technology. Are any of these streaming? I know in the past that they didn't do that (paid conference and all...).

XiaNaphryz

i'm interested simply because I'm a non-game dev that is interested in technology. Are any of these streaming? I know in the past that they didn't do that (paid conference and all...).

The standard conference pass is around $1500. Outside of maybe a select few panels/presentations, what do you think? ;P

Tiktaalik

I'm going to GDC on Tuesday.. Would people be interested in a GDC OT Megathread or would it be better if GDC attenders just make new threads for relevant new news that comes up?

I guess it could be interesting for GAF GDCers to have GDC discussion about GDC but that's probably not interesting to anyone else.

Edit: I'm definitely going to the Shenmue post mortem, IGA talk and also the Animal Crossing talk so I can post news about those. I assume tho that Polygon etc is gonna be there doing that stuff better than me though.

XiaNaphryz

Well, there was definitely press there when I went a couple years ago but anyone expecting some big reveals is probably in for some disappointment.

He meant the conference isn't primarily focused to the press audience, not that the press wouldn't be attending.

Laieon

If anyone is interested in attending in the future, I definitely recommend trying to get a CA (volunteer) position (even if you could afford the actual cost of the all-access pass). I've done it twice and don't regret it at all, you can usually get into some fairly exclusive parties (which is where 99% of the networking is done) because CAs are treated pretty well be attendees.

It's a shame GDC: Austin/Online doesn't exist anymore though, I thought the smaller, more intimate setting was significantly better than the larger, main San Francisco conference. I'm a pretty shy guy and still managed to weasel my way into a private rooftop party that was hosted by Blizzard, Metzen and Dave Kosak were pretty cool.

For those of you who are expecting huge announcements, you'll probably be disappointed. There might be some indie games and smaller things announced, but E3 is just a few months away so pretty much everyone saves the big announcements for that.

Top Bottom