• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Man God

Non-Canon Member

MikeMyers

tumblr_n2rjgzDeaR1swxxpho1_250.gif

How could I forget..

Trouble is, that was the last of the volumes I own for now :/ Have the set with the back half of the series coming in the mail, though.

Speak of the devil and it shall appear!

xBpvdUI.jpg

<3

Hey, Box Of Bunnies, who takes it between Luna and Puar? Ha.

I like the way Luna and Artemis sass their charges compared to the way Puar's just "you're right Yamcha, you are the best!" all the time (he is the best, but that doesn't make for much of a character). Puar's fun when he fights with Oolong, though.

In terms of cuteness, you can't beat kitties with crescent moon markings so Puar's kinda outclassed there.

MikeMyers

Woot, got the whole collection now! I'll probably read Short Stories during my Spring Break.

tumblr_inline_n2f3w7zJBY1r6uc34.gif

Artemis has always been my favourite of the cats (that's Diana above), and he's probably more developed of a character.

Puar had his Sentai team though.

tumblr_mr8q4apAB41r9l4bco1_500.png

Any info on who will be on the covers of the final two volumes? The first 8 used the ten main senshi, so maybe the Starlights vor Vol.9 and Serenity and Endymion for Vol. 10?

You know...the Starlights have never been on the cover of any manga release. I imagine they'll probably either be some other form of Sailor Moon (Eternal, Neo Queen Serenity, Cosmos), or maybe collage shots.

I was right!

VUFiE9L.jpg

Yeah, the English covers are nice. They're the same covers as the 2003/2004 re-release in Japan when Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon was airing on TV. I think the show and new manga release shared the same logo.

Anyway:

Look! She's got the little lighting rod thing in her tiara! Awesome.

MikeMyers

Oh right they advertised those mangas during the omakes for PGSM.

Nice Jupiter figure; I always like that move she did in the Ali & En Arc.

Pluto

I was right!

VUFiE9L.jpg
So was I, at least about Serenity/Endymion. ;) Beautiful covers.

Amazon Japan lists volumes 11and 12 of the Kanzenban release, any idea what's that about? There should be no unpublished material after Vol. 10, maybe they'll redo the art books in kanzenban format? It wouldn't make sense to number them as 11 and 12 but that's the only thing I can think of right now.

I hope Sailor V get's a kanzenban rerelease too, those editions are so much better than the previous ones.

Pluto

Is there a chapter list for the new releases?
I haven't found one online and I'm not home, so I can't check but it puts every arc into two volumes, starting with vol. 4 the corresponding side stories appeared at the end of the second vol. of each arc. Casablanca Memory and the first chibiusa's picture diary in vol. 4, Princess Kaguya and the second picture diary in vol. 6, the exam battles and the third diary in vol. 8 and most likely Parallel Sailor Moon and the Hammer Price story in vol. 10.

MikeMyers

The Kodansha USA release has 60 Acts for the manga. If we do 1 chapter per episode, we'll get around 60 episodes for the entire series. Knowing Toei they'll properly try to milk it and expand it. Then again the manga could have benefited from the characters, especially the villains, being more fleshed out.

Hopefully a Sailor V OVA shows up too.

Pluto

The Kodansha USA release has 60 Acts for the manga. If we do 1 chapter per episode, we'll get around 60 episodes for the entire series. Knowing Toei they'll properly try to milk it and expand it. Then again the manga could have benefited from the characters, especially the villains, being more fleshed out.
They should expand it, a completely faithful adaptation of the manga wouldn't make a very good series, I like the story but most characters seem like they were an afterthought, most of the good guys actually get more development in the side stories than in the actual acts of the story and most villains are disposable.

I think 26 episodes per arc would be a good length, not so long that they have to stretch things out too much, they can use the manga's general storyline but add some MOTDs and flesh out the characters on both sides.

MikeMyers

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the spinoff stories adapted too. Speaking of which I should get around to reading that soon. Spring Break is coming up so that should help.

Then again, if those short stories do get adapted, I can just picture people talking about how those episodes are filler because they do not advance the plot and thus should be dismissed straight away. *rollseyes*

Then again, if those short stories do get adapted, I can just picture people talking about how those episodes are filler because they do not advance the plot and thus should be dismissed straight away. *rollseyes*
You filler people sure are defensive. :p

They should expand it, a completely faithful adaptation of the manga wouldn't make a very good series, I like the story but most characters seem like they were an afterthought, most of the good guys actually get more development in the side stories than in the actual acts of the story and most villains are disposable.

I think 26 episodes per arc would be a good length, not so long that they have to stretch things out too much, they can use the manga's general storyline but add some MOTDs and flesh out the characters on both sides.
Eww. *crosses fingers that the new series is aimed at adults*

MikeMyers

You filler people sure are defensive. :p

There was discussion with GAF members in another place where it the series was being dismissed as "why are people excited for sailor moon? nothing happens in sailor moon its 90% filler" even though the show his not out yet. Like really?

Eww. *crosses fingers that the new series is aimed at adults*

It's a kids series.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There was discussion with GAF members in another place where it the series was being dismissed as "why are people excited for sailor moon? nothing happens in sailor moon its 90% filler" even though the show his not out yet. Like really?
Replace Sailor Moon with any other episodic anime and it still applies.

It's a kids series.
It's easy to say that the manga was for young teenage girls while the anime was slightly younger and more unisex, but in reality Sailor Moon doesn't care about its demographic! Sex and violence for everyone!

MikeMyers

Well I'm not denying that anyone can enjoy the series, but I can't ever imagine Toei Animation producing one that was specifically targeted at an older audience.

Besides, what exactly would an "adult" Sailor Moon even be like?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well I'm not denying that anyone can enjoy the series, but I can't ever imagine Toei Animation producing one that was specifically targeted at an older audience.

One in which monsters bared erotic parts of their bodies to snare prey and bad guys seduced and raped victims.

MikeMyers

Yeah....I feel like that would the charm out of the series.

Sailor-Saturn-Hotaru-Tomoe-14.jpg

Hopefully Hotaru will actually get a transformation that isn't exclusive to a Sega Saturn game. It is pretty amusing that Sailor Saturn only has a transformation in a Sega Saturn game, though.

MikeMyers

The way you described it comes across as if it were a Black Dog manga. ;)

Is the Amazon Trio dream mirror an actual metaphor for rape? I've seen that claim a few times, but I always viewed it as something open to interpretation.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The way you described it comes across as if it were a Black Dog manga. ;)
The first part is literally what Kaolinite's Daimons do in Sailor Moon S. Be it bearing cleavage, their upper thigh, or elsewhere, they steal their victim's "hearts" through acts of seduction.

Meanwhile, in Supers this changes to a male form of sexual assault, and although the imagery and symbolism becomes a bit more abstract, it's still pretty unmistakable (especially considering the victim's response and Minako's "my dream is gonna break!" when two go in at once).

Remember, Ikuhara directed these series.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ikuhara quit after Supers because of Toei's interference in it. After all, they ordered that it be adjusted to capture a new younger audience because Toei felt that the original had moved on.

Afterwards, Takuya Igarashi was promoted to series director, and Toei kind of did a mea culpa with Stars. (It's understood in context. It works.) As for Junichi Satou, even though he stepped down after Ail and Ann, he still stuck around to direct episodes in S, Supers, and Stars, providing consistently great ones at that (the one where Minako tries to get her own heart crystal taken is a Satou ep). Considering the level of control Toei shows gave episode directors at the time, even all of them doing their own storyboarding, it's highly enlightening to keep track of them.

Ikuhara went on with Enokido, the lead writer of S and Supers, to make Utena, while Igarashi and Satou would later work together directing Ojamajo Doremi. Meanwhile, if you think that the art style of Cutey Honey F looks incredibly familiar, it's because much of the same staff as Stars stayed together to make it in the same timeslot right after Stars concluded.

MikeMyers

Even with the new direction that Toei was trying to push, I still like SuperS. The early episodes suffered from being too Usagi/Chibiusa-focused but there was still some gems left, mostly the ones that featured everyone. I think by the time the Amazon Trio stuff is over, its watchable for the most part.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
By the way, if we're going to be strictly proper about show names, then "SuperS" is only a stylization. It's the plural of "Super" not "Super S". It's even given as "suupaazu" in katakana in the actual logo, and said as much by the cast themselves in the SMS Cassette Collection when Usagi was trying to remember what the S anime was about again.

MikeMyers

You know your posts made me realize that I never pay much attention to the directors in anime, which is kind of considering I am a director myself.

Then again, majority of anime I've seen are adapted from manga and the anime is very close to the manga's story, so I guess that's why I always seemed to pay more attention to the mangka.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The big three:

Kunihiko Ikuhara (R 60-89, S, Supers series director)
S1: 6, 11, 15, 21, 26, 31, 36, 46
R: 51, 60, 61, 68
S: 92, 103, 110, 117
Supers: 128, 137, 150, 159, 166
[His episodes are always a step above the norm, especially in S1.
You can also notice trademarks of his that later show up in Utena and Penguin Drum.]

Junichi Satou (S1, R 47-59 series director)
S1: 1, 8, 14, 24
R: None
S: 90, 97, 104, 109
Supers: 132, 140, 146, 158
Stars: 172, 181, 198
[Satou's episodes are all pretty good, but especially after R.]

Takuya Igarashi (Stars series director)
S1: 24, 35, 42
R: 52, 65, 75, 88
S: 106, 115, 121, 124
Supers: 141, 151, 156, 164
Stars: 167, 173, 180, 187, 193, 200
[Not at the level of the previous two and his episodes can be kind of spotty, but he gets better as the show goes on.]

There are a few other directors worth taking note of, like Harume Kosaka, if I'm remembering right, but you also have some like Yuji Endo who is pretty much a workhorse director.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ANN, which is not always right, says that's Takao Yoshizawa for the episode direction. Only way to make sure is to check the director card in the back of the ED credits.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This isn't nearly as big of a factor in the overall quality of an episode, but it does explain the subtle and sometimes not so subtle shifts in character design...

Animation directors!
Legend:
1 - Kazuko Tadano
2 - Ikuko Ito
3 - Katsumi Tamegai
4 - Shinya Hasegawa
5 - Hisashi Kagawa
6 - Mari Tominaga
7 - Miho Shimogasa
8 - Taichi Nakamura
9 - Masahiro Ando

It's always strange when I watch a bunch of episodes in a row, and the animation style keeps changing from one episode to the next. It really sticks out when you watch a lot in a row.

Replace Sailor Moon with any other episodic anime and it still applies.
Eh, not exactly. Not all episodic series have the kind of carrot on a stick (for a lack of a better word/phrase) that something like Sailor Moon or other series of the same ilk have. The average cute girls doing x episodic series doesn't resort to the same techniques. Also they aren't anywhere near as long and time consuming. (I might not be directly responding to your point but I'm trying to explain why I think Sailor Moon gets more flak.)
Much more compact.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eh, not exactly. Not all episodic series have the kind of carrot on a stick (for a lack of a better word/phrase) that something like Sailor Moon or other series of the same ilk have. The average cute girls doing x episodic series doesn't resort to the same techniques. Also they aren't anywhere near as long and time consuming.
Immediately your mind goes to cute girls doing x. So much shame.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There are shows like Cowboy Bebop which are largely episodic but have an overarching plot involving Snake's relationship with Vicious and Julia.

Or shows like Urusei Yatsura which is pretty much The Simpsons, but thoroughly Japanese.

There are shows like Cowboy Bebop which are largely episodic but have an overarching plot involving Snake's relationship with Vicious and Julia.

Or shows like Urusei Yatsura which is pretty much The Simpsons, but thoroughly Japanese.
Oh, I see what you are getting at now. I was thinking of contemporary series since they would be talked about more.

You're overthinking all of this.
It's what I do. :(
Show presents episodes not relevant to a larger plot, fans kneejerk scream "filler!"
I guess I haven't seen too much of that or don't take notice.

Edit: On another note, given that HappinessCharge PreCure! will (presumably) still be airing by the time the new Sailor Moon series starts, they must be targeting a different audience.

Top Bottom