• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trion Worlds to publish Archeage (sandbox MMO) in the west

How hard would it be though not push certain updates to certain markets? Like US and EU no getting 1.0 but the Asian countries did. It be like two completely different games in different markets. Seems like a lot of work for the developers.

It really depends on how XL Games chooses to move forward with future content patches. The more they vary the clients, the more work it would take. However, it's not without precedent that, given a large enough market, a Dev can make and service two different versions of the same game. Every Western made MMO already does this for China and that includes studios as large as Blizzard and as small as Arena Net.

If XL Games is serious about gaining a foothold in the West, it's something they'd have to be willing to at least try.

Jabba

Banned
I'm interested.

The best thing ever was in SWG, running around the desert and stumbling across a huge town of player houses, going in each one and checking out what they might have for sale. I took that experience for granted, I thought that was how MMOs were going to be from then on.

I thoht the same when playing SWG.

Azzurri

It really depends on how XL Games chooses to move forward with future content patches. The more they vary the clients, the more work it would take. However, it's not without precedent that, given a large enough market, a Dev can make and service two different versions of the same game. Every Western made MMO already does this for China and that includes studios as large as Blizzard and as small as Arena Net.

If XL Games is serious about gaining a foothold in the West, it's something they'd have to be willing to at least try.

I really hope this is the case. I can' take another Themepark MMO.

Qvoth

gamenote.jpg

is that the ranking of the most popular MMOs in korea?
mind telling us what are the top 5?

2San

Btw for those that don't know ArcheAge is created by Jake Song who was the lead designer on Lineage 1. It's part of the reason why I am somewhat interested in ArcheAge.

Authority

Banned
LOL at fucking Lineage 1 at 1

Man I was sointomyworld I didn't pay attention to that. Then after 30m, I am like "What the fuck?"

Was about to write the same thing as well regarding NCSoft dominating the Korean market with MMOs.

Can you blame them though?

NCOWNS.png

Someone please translate what he is saying;

리니지인범 Korea No.1 Lineage control ( Inbum Jo )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqJwfpjras

I am laughing my ass off with that music. And as a warning, at 4:40 I would strongly advice you to wear some earplugs.

Authority

Banned
Funny thing is, besides GW and now Wildstar those games are mostly the same.

No you are wrong.

Compare

Lineage Eternal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-hMYlSmZfo
VS
Blade & Soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODD790bO2VU

L1andL2 in comparison with Aion and the rest are day and night. If we were to compare L1andL2 with Aion back when it was a hardcore game, it would have been kind of a different story but still Lineage franchise has got such a different philosophy and combat system than the others.

Now Since Restart
Server Playing Stores Max
• Chronos 419 14 440
• Naia (EURO) 382 10 396
• Shilen 349 11 361
• Magmeld 300 6 308

Since First Record
Max Stores Max Playing
441 6009
318 6013
213 4746
164 3923

Last Restart*
2014-03-26 15:08:40
2014-03-26 14:58:15
2014-03-26 14:58:21
2014-03-26 14:58:27

retail_history.php

Direct Source: http://www.lineage2.es/misc/retail.php

That is really impressive. Makes me want to start L2 since I have never played a Lineage game.

Anyhow, the closest comparison would be Aion and Blade & Soul.

Authority

Banned
There's really no point to these days. All the stuff that made L2 good are long gone.

Is there anywhere I can read upon that? I was surfing some L2 info on the web and was reading relevant points to your post so I just want to read it what the hell happened with it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I have a feeling this won't play well with anyone outside of NA/EU. At least with ESO I don't feel the lag even though I'm at 150-200 ping, but I feel like with ArcheAge I'll feel the pain. Shame, looks really interesting and quite open-ended.

Azzurri

Been watching streams of this recently and it looks really fun. Really want in on the alpha.

Same here. Honestly, it's so refreshing watching/playing an mmo that is so open ended like how AA is.

The level 50 stuff is so awesome with trade runs, naval battles, open world PvP, non instanced housing and farming and a bunch of other stuff that isn't Instanced RAID or die at end game that we see in most MMO's.

Call me old school but I like how there is no battle grounds or arenas; no instanced PvP. Also, there is no LFG/LFD finders.

Same here. Honestly, it's so refreshing watching/playing an mmo that is so open ended like how AA is.

The level 50 stuff is so awesome with trade runs, naval battles, open world PvP, non instanced housing and farming and a bunch of other stuff that isn't Instanced RAID or die at end game that we see in most MMO's.

Call me old school but I like how there is no battle grounds or arenas; no instanced PvP. Also, there is no LFG/LFD finders.

Yeah, I feel like it should go back to the old days. Instaced PVP, raids, all that, just feels like a chore, like you're driven through an experience.

When you have world bosses and open PVP, you will feel like you made a choice in what to do. Player driven events is what should make MMOs, just like EVE Online.

Ianan

I'm insanely excited for this game, been watching it closely since the Korean Alpha was shown. Its going to fill that void Star Wars Galaxies left imo, love the fact player housing and farming are in the actual world rather than some separate instance.

Hopefully access for all will be this month!

Azzurri

I'm insanely excited for this game, been watching it closely since the Korean Alpha was shown. Its going to fill that void Star Wars Galaxies left imo, love the fact player housing and farming are in the actual world rather than some separate instance.

That's one of my biggest gripes with current mmo's, is that almost everything is instanced. It doesn't feel like you're part of world anymore, but with non instanced housing and PvE it feels like you're living in it.

Founder packs should be pretty soon and will come with beta.

ZenVolta

I like the epic voice guy and bikeman better.

Iv been watching a lot of Bikes streams of AA. Always fun.

Trying to get an alpha invite for this sucks. I got into Trions Defiance game pretty easy, only played it once but still got in. I hope the founder packs dont cost more than 20ish dollars.

Yeah it looks pretty cool from the streams I've been watching on Twitch.

Looking forward to trying this out myself.

dmr87

I haven't done much research yet but I have two questions.

1. Is it subscription based?
2. Is there end-game PvE content/dungeons or is it mainly a PvP game?

Azzurri

I haven't done much research yet but I have two questions.

1. Is it subscription based?
2. Is there end-game PvE content/dungeons or is it mainly a PvP game?

1. F2P or Sub. Subbing is the only way you can have farms and houses though.

2. It's not like your traditional Themepark MMO where it's instanced raids or Instanced PvP. They do have 5 mans that are instanced, but the hardest bosses are open world bosses. The best loot is crafted too, so there's a big importance on the economy.

dmr87

1. F2P or Sub. Subbing is the only way you can have farms and houses though.

2. It's not like your traditional Themepark MMO where it's instanced raids or Instanced PvP. They do have 5 mans that are instanced, but the hardest bosses are open world bosses. The best loot is crafted too, so there's a big importance on the economy.

Thanks.

I dunno if I would spend that much... I hate tying myself to a game, just like I don't like subs.

I'll wait to see if I win that Caption Contest before I think about it. 2 months of Alpha is quite a long time though.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I'm really tempted to go for the $150 alpha access...but then again, I have no idea whether the game is actually decent altogether.
I'm in the same boat. Don't even know if I'll like the game.

Below is a post I stole from Something Awful.

Some new info of particular interest to those who hated the changes of 1.0, courtesy of the forums:

NA/EU version will launch with some features of 1.0 and 1.2. No level 51-55 content, but expect UI/quality of life adjustments and farming/ship improvements.
Gilda Stars will be able to be collected through trade, albeit only intercontinental trade.
The 60/40 trade profit split when a pirate steals your trade pack has been reduced to 80/20.
The loyalty points system (get benefits and discounts for logging in consecutively, lose them if you miss a day) will not be added.
Closed Beta events will be 3-5 days long.
There will be a wipe between open beta and launch (Why?!)
No PvE servers, scamming is allowed and encouraged (Yes!)
Nui's Tears will remain in the game, and are now used to buy glider and speedboat designs as well as intercontinental teleport stones.
Beta in June.

Top Bottom