• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF redirecting me to AppStore apps - am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So uhm... it all started yesterday.
I was scrolling through GAF on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1, not jailbroken) and when I opened the NPD thread, Safari quickly loaded another link that opened the AppStore app showing me an app called "YoDarling". See:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140419/p4k9nzjo.jpg

Yes, I'm german.
I opened up Safari again and I was asked if I want to open this page in the AppStore. See:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/140419/52sukm7r.jpg

Several times there's also only a blank page with a huge ass ad link opened up. As a not so huge example, this one: "http://ads.glispa.com/sw/47092/CD30161/hiq0inefx40kosc"

That happened multiple times in a row with different threads, no matter if gaming or off-topic (with different, completely random apps opening up, not just this YoDarling thing) and then stopped. Now I experienced this again (that's why I took the screens above) and I don't know why this happens.
Is this GAF's fault or am I doing something wrong? Someone else experienced it?

It's pretty annoying because I always need to hit the X button before it loads up the link, and sometimes I'm missing half a page because of it.

Labrys

I think that's the mobile version's way of ads, it directs you to apps instead of displaying an advertisement for said app.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yep happens to me too on the mobile version of the site ( i usually never use it but i had to test something)
as soon as it loads the page it takes me immediately on the App Store.

Trike

That's odd. I am having no issues on my Android phone. Maybe it is a virus? Or is the app related to the banner ad?

That's odd. I am having no issues on my Android phone. Maybe it is a virus? Or is the app related to the banner ad?

Not related to the banner ad, and I'm also not even close to touching them.

Virus is out of question I think, as I stated the phone is not jailbroken and I'm really careful with stuff. Also it only affects GAF as far as I can tell.

Like I said, these are google ads that are violating the google ads TOS, automatically redirecting you to the app store via links that take you directly to it.

This isn't the first time GAF has been affected by it.

New002

Yeah I have been getting them every once in a while for the past few months when browsing GAF on my android phone.

riotous

Banned
It's crazy that google let's companies continue to advertise if they try to get past their JavaScript checks for things like this.

It's been happening for years on and off for Candy Crush. Maybe it's different third parties being paid by the CC people.

Mess around at all as a web site owner displaying ads and they'll ban you for life pretty quick.

Eusis

Didn't even prompt in Chrome last time. I thought that was supposed to come up first?

I fucking hate these people.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Been happening to me randomly the past couple of days. Ads really shouldn't be able to do that without the browser prompting.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've been getting these that send me to the Google Play store on Android. At first I'm like "did I accidentally thumb-click an ad?" But it's been happening a lot recently.

Burt

Yeah, I was catching them maybe a month ago, they died down, got one again today for the first time in a few weeks.

They took care of them last time, will probably be fine soon

SnowTeeth

Banned
It's been happening to me randomly for the last couple of months. I get it a lot with the Zite news app. Rage inducing.

Dead Man

It's crazy that google let's companies continue to advertise if they try to get past their JavaScript checks for things like this.

It's been happening for years on and off for Candy Crush. Maybe it's different third parties being paid by the CC people.

Mess around at all as a web site owner displaying ads and they'll ban you for life pretty quick.

Hopefully that rather than money talking.

Seems like downright horrible design on both Google and Apple's parts if rogue ads can open Android and iOS's respective app stores against the wishes of the users.

Needs to be fixed on an OS level.

So do I contact the staff and link them to this thread? I don't even know if they read it, guess they are flooded with mails every day.

Megasoum

Banned
So this has been happening to me pretty much everytime I open Gaf on my iPhone for the last 3-4 weeks. Using iOS 7 with Safari.

Can anything be done about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom