• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lich King: Alpha leak compendium; title music suite, abilities, pictures

Alex

Son of Godzilla said:
Borrowed Time is utter shit, but I don't see what's so disappointing. I'd say it's biggest problem is way too many 5 pointers clogging up space. Oh and Aspiration is probably the worst fucking talent in the game. It really is. The idea of a talent reducing the cd of only other talents in the same tree is so fucking stupid I don't know what to say.

Penance needs to be stuck into it's own spell school. Make a shiny new Discipline school and have that be the only thing in it. Now that'd be a fucking 51 point talent actually worth something, even channeling.

I already laid out my thoughts, but, to go again; what is good about it? The key PvP talents that hold the class up got nerfed, and the PvE tack ons are a joke. I can't really think of anything I'm looking forward to in the tree, really.

Shadow got most of the PvP changes I consider worthy. It may just not be possible to do much on Disc if it launches in the state it's in. The melee and Hunter revisions will see to it that you're absolutely decimated.

Their current solution to everything seems to be: GIVE POWER WORD SHIELD MOAR TALENTS.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seiken said:
But do we (warriors) actually miss our targets in PvE? :eek:
Yes, you do especially when dual wielding. Also I highly recommend Imp Slam.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
shintoki said:
Southshore was just the big Zerg area. It was funny time to time.

In our server Felwood became a battle ground for group pvp. Not to mention the massive amount of raids on bases, Gadg was a solo bloodbath. Ships and Zeps were being took over by the other group.

It was like, what PVP was meant to be. Then battlegrounds came in and it all became shit.

The greatest was just sitting in Meth Harbor...and the boat arriving. Docks...then you walk on. Oh wait. A raid group of horde were sitting below the deck. Pop out and start a slaughter:lol Then people screaming and everything about how they can't travel. Then the reinforcements came. And it was just a massive battle. The low levels trying help but being one shotted, the battles between the big dogs going off. The warrior who sucide charge to fear. People jumping in the water and swimming away.:lol I was an ass:lol The ones who decided to run by swimming away, I would chase after them. Wait for them to run into deep water. Sheep em, and watch em float to the bottom. Sheep em till they run out of breath and watch them drown:lol
:lol Ah great memories. World PVP before BGs and just when the Honor system rolled around was an absolute boon. You still cop the occasional group of idiots or singular fool raiding Crossroads by themselves.. but back in the day it was a daily thing consisting of a full raid hitting it. Guild members going off "XR getting hit!" and everyone would drop everything and fly there. WoW had some excellent moments but they all snuffed it out with DKs, PVP gear, Arenas, etc. World PVP was all about having fun and disregarding the next hour or so of time you were about to "waste".

I remember on my old server just before TBC was released, few PVP-centric guilds were going to switch over to PVE instead and so as a last hurrah a huge 3-raid group hit Orgrimmar over the span of 2-3 hours. Will never ever forget the co-operation between both factions, I was "stationed" to defend the western gate with a full raid and we held firm till the main gate was over-run and we had to pull back to Thrall's Chambers. So awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Halycon said:
Yes, you do especially when dual wielding. Also I highly recommend Imp Slam.
I never got into the slam-hype... I don't know how you're supposed to use it. I mean, with dual wield 2H, Whirlwind and Sweeping Strikes, what can go wrong

speedpop said:
:lol Ah great memories. World PVP before BGs and just when the Honor system rolled around was an absolute boon. You still cop the occasional group of idiots or singular fool raiding Crossroads by themselves.. but back in the day it was a daily thing consisting of a full raid hitting it. Guild members going off "XR getting hit!" and everyone would drop everything and fly there. WoW had some excellent moments but they all snuffed it out with DKs, PVP gear, Arenas, etc. World PVP was all about having fun and disregarding the next hour or so of time you were about to "waste".

I remember on my old server just before TBC was released, few PVP-centric guilds were going to switch over to PVE instead and so as a last hurrah a huge 3-raid group hit Orgrimmar over the span of 2-3 hours. Will never ever forget the co-operation between both factions, I was "stationed" to defend the western gate with a full raid and we held firm till the main gate was over-run and we had to pull back to Thrall's Chambers. So awesome.

Agreed. I was just doing some pvp in southshore and I was loving it. It was only like 10 people all together but good times. No one wants to participate anymore it seems.

One of the top horde guilds on my server said they were going to attack SS awhile back. I think me and like 4 others showed up. We got stomped repeatedly but I didnt care...if i can run into a group of 20 horde, pop my wings and take out one I'm happy. If I fail atleast I look badass doing it.

Alex said:
I already laid out my thoughts, but, to go again; what is good about it? The key PvP talents that hold the class up got nerfed, and the PvE tack ons are a joke. I can't really think of anything I'm looking forward to in the tree, really.

Shadow got most of the PvP changes I consider worthy. It may just not be possible to do much on Disc if it launches in the state it's in. The melee and Hunter revisions will see to it that you're absolutely decimated.

Their current solution to everything seems to be: GIVE POWER WORD SHIELD MOAR TALENTS.
Your thoughts amounted to complaining that the game is still getting changes though. Ostensibly Aegis, Grace, and Rapture are great ideas; and Penance has strong potential. The actual values are inconsequential at this point. I'm reasonably satisfied with Disc from a pvp standpoint, even with FW nerf.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seiken said:
I never got into the slam-hype... I don't know how you're supposed to use it. I mean, with dual wield 2H, Whirlwind and Sweeping Strikes, what can go wrong
You're supposed to use it in between bloodthirsts and whirlwinds, but a Slam rotation only works if you have the rage to support it. If you find you always have extra rage, then pick it up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Halycon said:
You're supposed to use it in between bloodthirsts and whirlwinds, but a Slam rotation only works if you have the rage to support it. If you find you always have extra rage, then pick it up.
Gotcha! Thanks

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If I were to start up from level 1 with a friend, what pair of classes would be good for really good, fun, efficient leveling?

speedpop

Kintaro said:
If I were to start up from level 1 with a friend, what pair of classes would be good for really good, fun, efficient leveling?
Too hard to really determine. Most people would say Hunter + Warlock. It's really up to yourself what classes you choose, as a person who's leveled a Priest twice I can safely say that any class who levels with a Shadow Priest is bound for some non-stop fun with zero downtime.

Seiken said:
Damn, I need some SERIOUS help with a WotLK PvE-spec for warrior.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LVMhdGboZVVzVxxRizbxox

Fix stuff for me, please.

Imp slam is a pain to use, if you're really going to go that route you're going to need a swing timer.

I'd say skip piercing howl, and it's insane not to take Heroic Leap instead of it (as it's basically another way to close the gap).

Hit rate should be at least 95 with precision. After that hit is still a viable stat but nowhere near as important.

Sweeping strikes isn't worth putting points into arms for when there are so many great fury talents. Improved charge is worthless, and improved overpower is pretty useless after the tactical mastery change. Changing out of beserker stance in combat isn't worth the rage loss, the loss of the use of whirlwind(which is the most important skill if you're using titan's grip), and you only need one point in improved whirlwind because of how the dps rotation works.

Try this for something similar but much more effective:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0hzubZVV0VxxRVuoeot

If you don't mind mixing things up just a little, I've been looking at this spec, but because I'm not in the beta I have no way of testing it out.
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LAZVV0VxxRiuoeotbI

IcedTea

Kintaro said:
Most classes can work well together. You should be fine if you just pick the class you're most into and stick with it. I'd recommend you pick different types though so that you don't have to try and split loots - if one of you wants to be a caster, the other one should be a hunter or melee or something, and so on.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Class#Brief_summary_of_each_class

I was messing around with a friend one time, he was a hunter and I was a warlock, and the destructive power we had was unbelievable. We were able to chain pull entire camps of mobs without any downtime, and we had four or five mobs engaged at a time for minutes straight.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kintaro said:
There is not a class easier to play then Hunter. Easily the best for PVE. Followed by Warlocks. They both are exceptional. Oddly enough. A great combo too.

Rogue and Warrior are good too, since they do not rely on mana. All you need is to level first aid as you go along too. No downtime.

Priest and Mage both start off weak and slow. Horrible downtime, etc. They easily have the worst starting 40levels. After that. They improve drastically. The only solid thing I still love about my mage is the fact I level, farm, etc at great speeds ^_^. And I really have to say the population has gotten stupid. Its called kiting...the point is to have argo on me. :lol

Druids, were always the odd case. They can pretty much do anything. Just not at the fastest speeds. I still love mine though. A druid is such a fun class to play.

Paladins...meh

IcedTea

shintoki said:
Druids, were always the odd case. They can pretty much do anything. Just not at the fastest speeds. I still love mine though. A druid is such a fun class to play.
Feral druids are actually really good for levelling... the first thirty or so levels goes slow but they're about as fast as an affliction lock or beast mastery hunter once you get mangle.

Yoshichan

No Means Nomad said:
Imp slam is a pain to use, if you're really going to go that route you're going to need a swing timer.

I'd say skip piercing howl, and it's insane not to take Heroic Leap instead of it (as it's basically another way to close the gap).

Hit rate should be at least 95 with precision. After that hit is still a viable stat but nowhere near as important.

Sweeping strikes isn't worth putting points into arms for when there are so many great fury talents. Improved charge is worthless, and improved overpower is pretty useless after the tactical mastery change. Changing out of beserker stance in combat isn't worth the rage loss, the loss of the use of whirlwind(which is the most important skill if you're using titan's grip), and you only need one point in improved whirlwind because of how the dps rotation works.

Try this for something similar but much more effective:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0hzubZVV0VxxRVuoeot

If you don't mind mixing things up just a little, I've been looking at this spec, but because I'm not in the beta I have no way of testing it out.
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LAZVV0VxxRiuoeotbI
Thanks a lot! I like the first build you linked but I'll tell you it's gonna be a pain to hit multiple targets without Sweeping Strikes... I pretty much love it in PvE when it comes to AoE.

Kintaro said:
Feral Druid/Warrior will get ridiculous after a while. Easily my favorite duo post 40.

Alex

Son of Godzilla said:
Your thoughts amounted to complaining that the game is still getting changes though. Ostensibly Aegis, Grace, and Rapture are great ideas; and Penance has strong potential. The actual values are inconsequential at this point. I'm reasonably satisfied with Disc from a pvp standpoint, even with FW nerf.

A Channeled spell, a talent that works off our non-existent crit, a self only mana return on cast time heals and 6% when stacked dmg down/healing up are your ideas of your good PvP healing traits? I respectfully, but entirely disagree. I'm not expecting them to deliver us the moon, but this is simply not interesting stuff in any fashion, especially for PvP.

Back when the we had the stun, and the group rapture, and a slightly better Grace, it wasn't so bad. Not exactly the focus I expected, but it was a good start.

But after the nerfs, and seemingly little direction thus far, a few months from launch, I'm a bit worried. Their idea to make Disc a single target healer tree is pretty lousy so far, and the Cloth-tank role we will still auto incur in PvP isn't being mended much when you nerf Pain Suppression and the healing bonus of Focused Will.

I'm not saying that things are hopeless or not fixable, I'm not into that crap, but currently, I'm really displeased at the direction, nor do I have any clue what their intended role is for healing Priests in PvP. Gotta lay feedback somehow.

I really hope beta is constructive for Priest, or there are some truly awesome things on the trainer. I like to PvP, and I'd like to use my Priest, but after being soured on Holy Paladin PvP, I'm just enough of a right bastard to jump classes at any sign of that nonsense again.

Kintaro

shintoki said:
There is not a class easier to play then Hunter. Easily the best for PVE. Followed by Warlocks. They both are exceptional. Oddly enough. A great combo too.

Actually, we both leveled up Hunter, albeit seperately. We wanted to give another combo a try.

Fularu

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Good lord, Vigilance seems almost seems like a cop out talent for crappy tanks. That being said I can't wait to use it when I try Utgarde later tonight or tomorrow :lol

Vigilance is a terrible, terrible talent. Beyond some 5 mans or some group quests, it has 0 uses.

Xabora

At level 66 let me say this:
Death and Decay + Deathchill, follow those up with 2 Obliterates... 3500 at 66. :S
In under a second.

Xabora

hwbbww.jpg

speedpop

Kintaro said:
Actually, we both leveled up Hunter, albeit seperately. We wanted to give another combo a try.
Try a healer/hybrid + DPS combo. Priest + Warrior has the benefits of having the key ingredients to hit a 5-man instance if you ever get bored with quests and need an hour's break or so during it.

When I was doing up my Shaman, a friend rolled a Druid with me. Took awhile to really develop our feet but by level 30 onwards we were unstoppable and never broke out in a sweat if we faced 4+ mobs. I went Enhancement and he went Feral.. was fun doing the old Ghost Wolf/Travel Form duo till we got our mounts heh.

Kintaro

speedpop said:
Try a healer/hybrid + DPS combo. Priest + Warrior has the benefits of having the key ingredients to hit a 5-man instance if you ever get bored with quests and need an hour's break or so during it.

Hmmm, I'm almost always the DPS class...maybe I'll switch it up and play a healer/hybrid.

speedpop

My words may be no use since I adore playing in the support/healer/hybrid role, but I always found it much more enjoyable of an experience. Healing on the run is all well and good but I remember being in Shadow Form during a BG and someone asking for a heal so I got out my bandages and did them :lol

Honestly though the problem with Shaman and Druid are the quests. Shaman for totems, Druid for forms. They take out a good chunk of time before level 30.

Kintaro

speedpop said:
My words may be no use since I adore playing in the support/healer/hybrid role, but I always found it much more enjoyable of an experience. Healing on the run is all well and good but I remember being in Shadow Form during a BG and someone asking for a heal so I got out my bandages and did them :lol

Honestly though the problem with Shaman and Druid are the quests. Shaman for totems, Druid for forms. They take out a good chunk of time before level 30.

I think I would go Priest if I did it.

speedpop

Go for it then. Priest with Spirit Tap talents = never ending. I'd say to add in the Wand Spec talent but they got rid of it in the Discipline tree.

Xiaoki

Son of Godzilla said:
The idea of a talent reducing the cd of only other talents in the same tree is so fucking stupid I don't know what to say.
Longevity in Hunter BM tree rocks so hard. I love it.

VaLiancY

Wtf' is that? Fill us in, don't be a heretic. D:

Edit - It must be painful to replace all that cool looking Death Knight gear with shitty looking Outland gear. Just looking at that helm makes me cry.

Chris R

So wait, what is this tokens exactly?

WOULD be awesome if you could say...... use honor points + battleground marks, or arena points, or world pvp marks, or pve tokens to buy the same gear...

Xabora

It looks to be a new storage system for all tokens, badges, raid stuff, tickets from events, etc etc in a nice and neat UI.

EDIT: Shot this off to Blizzinsider for my 1 second of fame. :lol

Kintaro

speedpop said:
Go for it then. Priest with Spirit Tap talents = never ending. I'd say to add in the Wand Spec talent but they got rid of it in the Discipline tree.

You mean in Wrath it was moved?

medze

First of all, the reason shadow got so many good pvp changes is that we became complete crap in season 3 as melee scaling got ridiculous and also, the nature of the shadowpriest was not suited for pvp. Hell, we had Blizzard reps comparing us to protection specced warriors. This is why so many changes occured for us who specced shadow and not much changed for Disc priests, who are already closer to being balanced (don't get me wrong, even disc priests are having tough times in season 4)

Alex said:
But after the nerfs, and seemingly little direction thus far, a few months from launch, I'm a bit worried. Their idea to make Disc a single target healer tree is pretty lousy so far, and the Cloth-tank role we will still auto incur in PvP isn't being mended much when you nerf Pain Suppression and the healing bonus of Focused Will.

You can get talents to fix the cooldown on Pain Supression so I don't see it being a big change at all. Sure the Focused Will nerf hurts but that amount of damage reduction while being able to heal is just ridiculous when a shadowpriest for instance is limited to only shadow spells when he has his 15% damage reduction on, leaving him open to spell school lockouts and general inability to do anything.

I'm not sure how you see Discipline becoming a single target healing class when you have:

Binding Heal - Heals a friendly target and the caster for 1952 to 2508. Low threat.
Prayer of Mending - Places a spell on the target that heals them for 1043 the next time they take damage. When the heal occurs, Prayer of Mending jumps to a raid member within 20 yards. Jumps up to 5 times and lasts 30 sec after each jump. This spell can only be placed on one target at a time.
Mark of Divinity - Marks the target with Divinity, causing 30% of all of your healing to also heal the target. Lasts for 30 min.

Not seeing a huge loss in effectiveness for multi-target healing but maybe I'm crazy. Maybe overall its a nerf as you say but is that a big deal considering any Disc priests without Downs could get season 3 shoulders? :lol

Alex

I'm not sure how you see Discipline becoming a single target healing class when you have:

This is Blizzard's goal for the tree, as stated during Alpha, I didn't say anything about it myself. Although I will say your examples for multi-target healing are pretty silly. My refutation to Blizzard on Disc being any kind of a healing tree at all is because it has almost no potency or throughput. It's couple of added gimmicks aren't going to make it the PvE tree they want.

Also, Mark of Divinity is not real. If it WAS real, I'd be bitching less, because at least then the nerfs would make a little bit of sense.

You can get talents to fix the cooldown on Pain Supression so I don't see it being a big change at all. Sure the Focused Will nerf hurts but that amount of damage reduction while being able to heal is just ridiculous when a shadowpriest for instance is limited to only shadow spells when he has his 15% damage reduction on, leaving him open to spell school lockouts and general inability to do anything.

This is a silly comparison, and it doesn't work on any level. I never said a thing about Shadow not having problems, I swapped off of Shadow to Disc myself. Selling your class short because one spec is slightly better than the other is poor form. Shadow is being made to be pretty kickass in LK, and I'd like to see some of the same attention and care paid to Disc as beta rolls on.

Not seeing a huge loss in effectiveness for multi-target healing but maybe I'm crazy. Maybe overall its a nerf as you say but is that a big deal considering any Disc priests without Downs could get season 3 shoulders?

About as easily as a double DPS Shadow Priest team could. I personally never found the swap I did from Shadow to Disc to be as comfortable as I expected. At least it's about fifteen times as fun as my now rotting Paladin was.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Been watching a lot of DK vids of late, and it's ridiculous lol.

I watched a DK go for 25 minutes straight, doing a TON of DPS on no less than 4 enemies at a time (average levels were 65-68) and never saw him stop once, his health never went below 1/2 ...scary.

Once there are a lot of DK's around, it should make for interesting groups/pvp lol

J-Rzez

What is the quest composition like so far for those with the beta? Is it riddled with killing 10-30 of one type of mob, return to quest giver? Quest items, and if so, decent drop rate? Or is it a decent mix? What amounts of XP are we looking at here to level as you progress, and what xp do you get from mobs and quest turn ins?

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
What is the quest composition like so far for those with the beta? Is it riddled with killing 10-30 of one type of mob, return to quest giver? Quest items, and if so, decent drop rate? Or is it a decent mix? What amounts of XP are we looking at here to level as you progress, and what xp do you get from mobs and quest turn ins?
Nah, they got new ones.

I had to kill 200 mobs with a freaking cannon! :D
Then 200 more with a frost drake.

J-Rzez

Xabora said:
Nah, they got new ones.

I had to kill 200 mobs with a freaking cannon! :D
Then 200 more with a frost drake.

So... should I sell my account to a WoW broker then you're saying? :lol

I hope those cannons are massive AoE fests. And what about the Nessy quests? 30 kills, 30 kills, 1 elite per mob type?

Has anyone done Utgarde Keep yet? I played around in there a bit last night with an epic geared hunter; we took out 6 mobs but the server started acting up before we could find any other players.

DSN2K

so will be there be any new low level content, Im planning to get back into WoW after year out and might just start from sratch with a new race or something.

Twig

Banned
I hate the idea of feats of strength. Stuff that wil be impossible to achieve after the expansion is released. Dumb. ):<
DSN2K said:
so will be there be any new low level content, Im planning to get back into WoW after year out and might just start from sratch with a new race or something.
No, none.

Unless you count the Death Knight.

Top Bottom