• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Marvel Properties would you like to see come to the Big Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

_1401475260.jpg

I want this guy, right here.

You're getting him in Age of
Apocalypse

Black Panther
Heroes for Hire
Nextwave
Young Avengers
Nova
Ms. Marvel
Miles Morales Spiderman (I know they can't make it since Sony has the rights to Spiderman, but I like to dream).

seriously guys, everyone keeps saying her and I wanna read some good stories about her

Honestly there aren't a whole lot of them. Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel has never really been a character marvel has been able to write stories around consistently.

She was an avengers member for a short time, and got written out of the book in one of the most embarrassing stories known to man. The less said about that plot line the better, it'll just get y'all angry. Shortly after that Monica Rambeau was introduced as "captain marvel" and given the identity. Sharon Ventura adopted the "Ms. Marvel" identity for a while as well before becoming she-thing.

When she eventually did come back, they just had rogue absorb all her memories and take her powers, effectively writing her out again. If you're looking for what a good "ms marvel/captain marvel" story would look like, that's pretty much rogue from the 80s through the early 2000s. They brought carol back as "binary" shortly after that with a different power set, but stuck her in space with the starjammers for decades because once again they had no idea what to DO with her. After that was over she showed up in avengers again, not as "Ms. Marvel" or "Captain Marvel" or "Binary", but "Warbird" for inexplicable reasons.

Marvel decided to try giving the character a push again after "house of M", in which an alternate reality was created in which instead of her actual career, Ms. Marvel ended up adopting the Captain Marvel identity and was a superhero celebrity of some sort. House of M ends, and Carol makes it a personal mission to live up to the possibilities of that alternate timeline.

She has a solo series, which is good but not particularly standout. unfortunately captain marvel/carol danvers has been a lot better in theory than she has been in execution- ask someone who really wants to see her on screen which storyline they want to adopt, and the answer will probably be "well, we'd have to start from scratch."

Sojgat

Someone recommend me a good Captain Marvel comic, every time I see her hanging around the Avengers she's boring as shit.

As others have said the current series is alright. Ms. Marvel (2006) by Brian Reed was very good. The were 50 issues if you're interested. Don't know if trades are still in print, but you should be able to track it all down.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Honestly there aren't a whole lot of them. Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel has never really been a character marvel has been able to write stories around consistently.

She was an avengers member for a short time, and got written out of the book in one of the most embarrassing stories known to man. The less said about that plot line the better, it'll just get y'all angry. Shortly after that Monica Rambeau was introduced as "captain marvel" and given the identity. Sharon Ventura adopted the "Ms. Marvel" identity for a while as well before becoming she-thing.

When she eventually did come back, they just had rogue absorb all her memories and take her powers, effectively writing her out again. If you're looking for what a good "ms marvel/captain marvel" story would look like, that's pretty much rogue from the 80s through the early 2000s. They brought carol back as "binary" shortly after that with a different power set, but stuck her in space with the starjammers for decades because once again they had no idea what to DO with her. After that was over she showed up in avengers again, not as "Ms. Marvel" or "Captain Marvel" or "Binary", but "Warbird" for inexplicable reasons.

Marvel decided to try giving the character a push again after "house of M", in which an alternate reality was created in which instead of her actual career, Ms. Marvel ended up adopting the Captain Marvel identity and was a superhero celebrity of some sort. House of M ends, and Carol makes it a personal mission to live up to the possibilities of that alternate timeline.

She has a solo series, which is good but not particularly standout. unfortunately captain marvel/carol danvers has been a lot better in theory than she has been in execution- ask someone who really wants to see her on screen which storyline they want to adopt, and the answer will probably be "well, we'd have to start from scratch."

thank you. I get that she has fans, but she doesnt have any defining stories(none worth ever talking about anyway)

Hear, hear

thank you. I get that she has fans, but she doesnt have any defining stories(none worth ever talking about anyway)

Yep. I try to point this out whenever the "why don't we have a female hero film yet" threads pop up. Marvel has been struggling to find an audience for Carol for decades- and for some reason the "X Marvel" identity is kind of toxic. No one really seems to keep it for long and it has a ton of baggage- inevitably it's dropped or handed off to someone else. It's original owner (Mar-vell) is notable for pretty much one thing, and that's dying of cancer back in the 1970s.

anaron

those saying Kamala: you kinda need carol to be established for her to work

(I would love to see her too though)

Neoxon

Kamala is one of the few teens-taking-on-legacy-titles who was done correctly. She succeeded where Sam failed. Plus it helps that Carol is still around.

But yeah, Carol first, then Kamala.

ZoddGutts

Pretty much. I'll never get why people keep pushing her, she's never really been great even her new series is okayish but is outshined by the current and better Ms. Marvel. Only thing that made her stand out was her sexy suit, kinda sad. Can't say I'm surprise that the new Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) comic series outsells Captain Marvel (Carol) comic, Captain Marvel has been dropping in sales rather quick, at this rate I'll be in the chopping block by early next year.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Well done, a Power Pack movie could be gold, but they most often tie in with the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, so...

Also, Nextwave, Miss Marvel and Cloak & Dagger, please!

At this time, I think Marvel could be trusted to bring back Daredevil and Elektra as well.

Yeah, even though Kamala's only got a few issues so far, I already would love to see her in a movie.

And while we're at it, She-Hulk (though I think she'd be less likely to show up because Marvel probably doesn't want to be all confusing with the female versions of male heroes and stuff)

Yeah, even though Kamala's only got a few issues so far, I already would love to see her in a movie.

And while we're at it, She-Hulk (though I think she'd be less likely to show up because Marvel probably doesn't want to be all confusing with the female versions of male heroes and stuff)

well, that and "Hulk" is currently marvel's lowest selling franchise, in terms of film and he's difficult to write a movie around. Spinning "she hulk" off of their worst regarded film franchise is not the brightest idea.

Fjordson

Doctor Strange is one of my favourite Marvel characters ever, so I'm hoping a film version comes to fruition (is there already one in development?).

They really need to nail the casting on that one, though. The Joaquin Phoenix rumours are certainly intriguing in that regard.

Doctor Strange is one of my favourite Marvel characters ever, so I'm hoping a film version comes to fruition (is there already one in development?).

They really need to nail the casting on that one, though. The Joaquin Phoenix rumours are certainly intriguing in that regard.

Strange is definitely coming- I'm ambivalent on joaquin phoenix, though. The less "big names" are attached to these projects, the more comfortable I am. smaller names are less likely to have an issue being locked into long term contracts or demanding absurd amounts of money to take a role.

Well, not REALLY.

I mean, Logically ... yes. That's a part of her back story and part of why she wants to call her self that and wear those colors and such cause she's a huge Cap Marvel fan-girl who loves here.

.... BUUUUUUTTTTTT you'd have to make a Cap Marvel movie, then have that be a success, THEN try to figure out how to make a "Ms. Marvel" title without confusing people because of how similar the names are. That's a case for why it wouldn't happen at all to begin with really ... that's a lot of shit ya gotta do to get that result.

On the other hand ... Ms. Marvel is the hottest new female character they have, an InHuman (Marvel's gonna want to start promoting them hard at some point, right?) and has had a large cultural impact that hasn't been looked over in the media. She's a character who clearly looks to have a lot of potential going forward.

ANNND on top of that, Marvel just said "fuck it! Lets make Yellow Jacket the bad guy in the Ant-Man clusterfuck!" and they kinda did the same thing with IM3 before they reconned that I guess so they can simply change that part of her back story and is they want.

Seems like a choice between a old character with a huge fandom (Carol Corps is ... a thing o_O) with cosmic ties vs a brand new character with a large-and-growing fanbase with more of a cultural importance and has ties to the InHuman (AKA Marvel's attempt at replacing Mutants) brand.

Gartooth

Good points and I agree with you. However, this is a problem that plagues Marvel in general since they have a lot of good female characters but not many that have had successful solo books. At the same time I don't think anyone would be against having a female superhero movie, the problem is finding the right one with the likes of Carol Danvers or She-Hulk being some of their possibilities.

lexi

Banned
She-Hulk would never happen, even if comic book movies continue their meteoric rise, you will never see She-Hulk on screen, even as a cameo.

She-Hulk would never happen, even if comic book movies continue their meteoric rise, you will never see She-Hulk on screen, even as a cameo.

And you know this how? She's an easier sell than the regular Hulk since she's incredibly beautiful, retains her intelligence and is a SINGLE FEMALE LAWYER with a sense of humor. Ally McBeal with Superhero's.

Nathan Edmondson's Punisher is basically TV-ready.

You can have him taking care of the rest of the scum that the superheroes ignore but that the cops can't cope with, and then show how shit gets real when a superhuman enters the fray and takes on Frank, a regular human.

Warren Ellis' Moon Knight (GODDAMN YOU, WOOD)

Moon Knight would make a great urban weird crime procedural and exploration of insanity and madness.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man deserves to be the crime comedy show on television.

lexi

Banned
And you know this how? She's an easier sell than the regular Hulk since she's incredibly beautiful, retains her intelligence and is a SINGLE FEMALE LAWYER with a sense of humor. Ally McBeal with Superhero's.

Hey I would be extremely happy if it did happen, but Feige brings out the cynic in me.

Tedesco!

I don't think it could work as a movie, but I always thought X-Factor would make a pretty good TV show. Mutants+X-Files+Buffy. It could work.

Gartooth

It is a completely ridiculous assertion to believe that. I don't think She-Hulk stands a chance at getting a solo movie at least in the next five years due to the Hulk franchise itself being very weak at the moment. But, to completely rule her out from a role in a Hulk film or an appearance in one of Marvel's TV series is pretty bold.

Edit: Also sorry if I came across as a dick in my post. I just think that after some of the characters that Marvel has already put in the MCU, that putting in She-Hulk would be pretty natural.

StayDead

I'd love to see a film centered entirely around Dr Doom and from his perspective. I don't like the Fantastic Four very much but I love Dr Dooms character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom