• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your mobile phone history like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first phone: Samsung Instinct S30:

PgRFBHp.jpg

Followed by Galaxy S3, and, presently, an S5.

ultra7k

2001: Some old AudioVox hand me down from my mom that always died after making 2 calls.
2002: Phoneless
2003: AudioVox thin flip phone. Can't recall the model number. Died real quick.
2003: Samsung flip phone, with blue screen.
2005: Motorola E1 ROCKR
2007: HTC TyTN II
2009: iPhone 2G
2010: iPhone 4
2012: iPhone 5
2013: iPhone 5s
2014: iPhone 6 when it is released

Phones that i wanted but never did get to buy: LG Chocolate, Samsung slider phones that came out just prior to iPhone, and a Blackberry Pearl.

Old Ericsson phone I forgot name of
Motorola Razr
Blackberry Pearl
Motorola Razr 2
Tmo Sidekick
Iphone 3GS
Droid Incredible
Droid Charge (worst phone I have owned)
Samsung Galaxy S2
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S3
Optimus G
Htc One M7
G2
G3

Husker86

My first phone: Samsung Instinct S30:

Followed by Galaxy S3, and, presently, an S5.

I had the original Instinct. Such a damn overhyped phone...It was before smartphones were common knowledge and it tried to pass itself off as one.

One of the keyboard options was ABCD, etc. in order. The ABCs in fucking alphabetical order...for the keyboard.

No accelerometer, browser was default landscape, though I believe you could go into the options to change orientation.

Hey, it could be hacked to tether though...

Sanyo SCP-5500
Samsung SPH-A900
Palm Treo 700p
HTC Touch Pro
Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB
Apple iPhone 4 32GB
Palm Pre Plus
Apple iPhone 4S 64GB
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Apple iPhone 5S 64GB

kirby_fox

Banned
2001-2007: Nokia brick of some sort.

2007-2011: RAZR

2011-2012: LG something or another on Virgin

2012-Jun 2014: HTC Rezound

Now: HTC One M8.

I should also note that I didn't text until 2011...I only used the phones to call people.

Moto Razr
T-Mobile Wing
T-Mobile MyTouch 3G (HTC Dream)
T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire Z)
Galaxy nexus
nexus 5

Thinking of jumping on a iPhone sooner or later.

Hmmm, starting in '99

Some old Nokia model that I can't remember.
Ericsson T28 << this thing was awesome
Sony-Ericsson T300
Samsung T509
Samsung U600
iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

2002: Nokia 3210
2004: Motorola Razr
2008: iPhone
2010: iPhone 4
2011: LG Quantum Windows Phone
2012: Nokia Lumia 900
2012: Nokia Lumia 920

SeriousApes

I've only had 4 cell phones so far.

Started with some mid-2000s era Nokia, then a Motorola RAZR, HTC Freestyle, and currently using a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I remember starting my smartphone usage with HTC, I forget it's name but after that I got an EVO, and then from there I went to Note 2, then to iPhone 4S, then 5, the I briefly had a Windows phone before switching to my current Note 3. Cannot wait to go back to iOS and stay there.

Before smartphones, I had some flip phone, nokia, and before that it was a candy bar style phone, and before that I had nothing (too young to go much more back).

Red Comet

Some cheap flip phone
Motorola RAZR V3
Motorola ROKR E1 (this was like the first iPhone in a way)
iPhone (original)
Motorola Droid X2
iPhone 5S

I think that is all of them. I kept the original iPhone and the Droid for several years, but starting with the 5S I plan to upgrade more regularly.

Nokia Shorty, Kyocera Cyclops, Samsung Intercept, Motorola Triumph, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5.

My choices were limited because I insisted on staying with Virgin Mobile while they had a really bad selection of phones. The Samsung Intercept was probably the worst Android phone ever. The CPU was way underpowered and the touchscreen was terrible. Luckily it had a slide out keyboard so you didn't have to attempt to type with the touchscreen.

I've switched to Google phones for my last two and I'm never going back.

Far as I can remember, these were the phones I had ever since getting one in the 90s. Arranged from the earliest to the latest:

Nokia 909

7JjgrHv.jpg

Philips Ozeo

BuV1s4k.jpg

Sony Ericsson T68i

GwjwIXm.jpg

Nokia 1110

ebSPPpn.jpg

Nokia 6020

K1YlGMO.jpg

Samsung SGH-U700

qe4JFlE.jpg

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

vJOpjfk.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1

M78G8Bz.jpg

gimmmick

Motorola v120c (2002)
Motorola v265 (2004)
Motorola e815 (2006)
Motorola RIZR Z6tv (2007)
LG enV2 (2008)
T-Mobile G1 (2008)
Nexus One (2010)
HTC Evo Shift (2011)
Motorola Droid Bionic (2011)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (2012)
HTC Droid DNA (2012)
iPhone 5s (2013)

Best of the bunch:

Dumbphone: Moto e815. It was the first phone I ever paid off contract ($265 at the time I believe) and it was worth every god damn penny. The most solidly built phone, overall great performer. Awesome battery life, great design and took drops like a champ.

Smartphone: As much as I loved my nexus one (which was the first smartphone I purchased off contract ($530), the iphone 5s is the best smartphone (and overall phone) I have ever used. iOS does everything well, and is the first smartphone since the nexus one where I felt I didn't need to upgrade to the latest and greatest 6 months after I got it. I'm happy with the purchase and finally understand why so many people enjoy the apple eco system. Everything just works well.

Worst of the worst? Motorola RIZR Z6tv. Fucker broke on me after 3 months of use (was the first and last slider none qwerty). I really don't know why I upgraded this too, might have been the concept of watching tv on my phone at the time, but to go from the greatest that is the e815 to this was really depressing.

Second stinker would have to go to the galaxy nexus. Great feeling phone, but terrible battery (3 hour usage and dead :\ ). Great software but damn, what a horrible decision to go with texas instruments for the processor. Horrible camera to boot as well. And the absolute worst thing about the phone aside from the battery woes? Verizon fucked us all over with the updates.

Camp Lo

Banned
I bought my first cell around 2002, I think. It was through T-Mobile, a basic motorola flip:

I think I broke that in half and got a Samsung:

Eventually I got my hands on the best phone I ever had:

After that phone, tried an android for the first time with Samsung Intercept:

Pretty shitty phone which made me try out a Windows Phone through T-Mobile again:

That was a really cool phone but the app store was so barebones. That led me back to a great android phone:

I wanted to get myself a truly high end spec phone which led me to the phone I have now:

Full rooted and customized LG G2.

All on T-Mobile
From High School to Present

Motorola Razr V3 (The design was by Miami Ink but it actually looked pretty cool and connected to the back)
Early 2007 - Late 2009

419OfMC%2BIWL.jpg

Samsung Behold
Late 2009 - Late 2011

518A2tyANQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S2
Late 2011 - Early 2014

tmobile_galaxys2.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Early 2014 - Present

carousel-samsung-galaxy-note-3-white-380x380-1.jpg

KKRT00

Nokia 5110
then
Siemens C45
then from 2004 or 2005
Nokia 6230i
two weeks ago
Xperia U

I've never broken a phone in my life.

I can't remember model numbers, but:

1) Some LG flip-phone. I went for it because it had polyphonic ring tones.
2) Sony Walkman phone with an orange walkman button on it.
3) Xperia X10 Mini
4) iPhone 4
5) Samsung Galaxy S3 (current, don't like it much but stuck with it for another year..., want something smaller next time)

kelik

Some flip phone.
Blackjack 2.
Some windows phone called "mogul".
Another Windows phone... Which I forgot the name of.
iPhone 4.
Nexus 5.

Most likely sticking with the nexus line of phones from now on.

Westraid

1. Nokia 3310
2. Sony Ericsson K700i

No, I didn't forget to type the rest.
In January I've been using the K700i for 10 years. ovo

Never had one.

Same here, people always think I'm joking when I first tell them. 36 Years old and never had a phone.

I believe it's totally possible to live without one. Last summer when my iPhone was stolen i had to go back to using my old phone that has no internet capabilities. During that time i maybe made one call and sent/received zero texts. Due to me working in an office i'm required to have a phone.

However i do use a computer and internet otherwise everywhere. A smartphone is a small computer these days and having one is a convenience.
In short, i could live without a phone. I could not live without access to the internet :D

Follow up question, do you who do not have a phone, have a tablet/laptop computer?

coughlanio

I'll probably just relegate this to my smartphone history, can barely remember anything before.

• HTC Hero
  • iPhone 4
  • LG Optimus 7
  • HTC Evo 3D
  • HTC One X
  • Blackberry Bold 9900
  • Samsung Galaxy S III
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5

As you can see, I like to give everything a fair shake. The best OS experience I've had out of all those phones has actually been the LG Optimus 7. Windows Phone 7 was super smooth, and it had a low barrier to entry in terms of cost.

The best device all round is my current Nexus 5, what a great phone, and a great price too. I'm on the Nexus train from here on out I think. Stock Android is the way to go.

Frodo

My brief phone history starts with a Nokia 3120. Loved it at the time. It looked great and was relatively small compared to other phones. The click-ness of the keys were great. Didn't have a camera, though:

RpIbI63.jpg

But because of a advertising mistake (they advertised it as having some functions it didn't have), I contacted Nokia and they offered me a Nokia 3200. Which had the functions that were advertised and more, so I got the 3200 for free. Those "bumps" on the sides were actually LEDs that would light up when the phone rang or if some music was playing. Most fun phone I'll ever have:

P34d6jf.jpg

Sadly it was stolen/lost (I'll never know) and I got one generic Samsung flip phone as a replacement. It was a phone all right. No camera, and nothing to write home about:

rISP1To.jpg

After a few months I bought another Nokia, this time, a red 5200, hoping I would be able to listen to my music without needing to carry a mp3 player. Sadly the menus and interface were horrible and slow, so the dream never came true. Also worth mentioning the novelty of sliding phones and how silly they are:

xfLEtCJ.jpg

I rocked the 5200 until it broke, around 3 years ago, and then I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2, my fist smartphone. And I'm still with it. Worked great when I first got it, but it is not fast enough to keep up with the new apps. It feels slow and dated today. Although I still enjoy its format and how slim it is.

eHropJT.jpg

Recently the S2 has started to act weird, and I'll definitely need to change phones sooner rather than later. I'm just waiting for the Nexus 6 to be released to compare it to the OnePlus One. One of the two will be my next phone.

MBR

Banned
- Ericsson T10: Handed down from mom, which my musician brother composed ringtones on.
- Sony Ericsson T100: Small as hell, lost it on a ski trip back when :(
- Sony Ericsson T610: First phone that wasn't pre-owned by another family member. Having a color display and camera was insane.
- Sony Ericsson W810: First mp3 capable phone I had.
- Sony Ericsson W980: Had a choice between that and an iPhone 3G... "Apple sux" I said, and took the minor upgrade to what I already had.
- iPhone 4: All my SE phones had long since crapped out on me and I was back on my T10 for a couple of weeks before lining up at midnight for the morning after launch of iP4, which still might be the most hyped up phone for me because of the then insane Retina display.
- Nokia Lumia 925: iP4 got slow, home button broke down, I swore not to buy an iPhone ever again because of the walled garden and w/e. Got the 925 on the cheap holiday 2013. It's all around awesome, but WP has it's problems with the app selection so I'm gonna go back to apple.
- iPhone 6 4,7": Reserved spot for the future.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
2005-2009 Motorola V330
41XS47ESVDL.jpg

Early 2010 Samsung Code
Samsung_20Code-1.jpg

Late 2010- Present HTC HD 2 aka the phone of FORVER....This phone can do everything!!!! Android, Windows, Linux ect.
20120617T084927.jpg

Member876

Banned
Nokia 5110 -> Nokia 3210 -> Motorola V600 -> Some Nokia -> Iphone -> HTC Desire

I have had HTC Desire for four years now (IIRC) and it still works fine. Only app I really need is Sport Tracker and some light web searching and both work fine with it, so I'll keep it until it breaks.

amnesiac

Motorola Razr
Sony Ericsson W580
LG Shine
Some LG touch screen smartphone
Some HTC touch screen smartphone
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5S

tensuke

36GZ6W1.png

Like you, op, I started with a 5110. It was my mom's old phone, my parents gave it to me for a bit in high school freshman year so I could have my own phone to call them when I needed rides from tennis practice and other stuff. Still have it, actually, darn thing probably still works.

Got the Stripe for my birthday, which was definitely better, it had a camera, could do mms, could play (some) .jar games. Most of the ones I loaded onto it didn't run, but I had a few games. Also got the $5 WAP internet plan, so that was nice. I finally upgraded to an N900 after saving my money.

The N900 was the best phone created ever in the history of humanity. Keyboard, stylus, lens cover, kickstand, IR, FM transmitter/receiver, 32GB internal + microSD slot, free Palm OS emulator, Debian chroot, backlit keys, dual speakers, Carl Zeiss lens, Linux, hackable, actual multitasking, triple booting, Cortex A8 cpu, the list goes on. I could wax poetic about this thing for ages. Oh, and my $5 internet plan turned out to give me unlimited 3G, and the N900 actually had 10Mbps down rather than the common 7Mbps, which was excellent. Only real downside was the poor usb port connection (the only way to charge it), which eventually broke after a while, leading me to buy multiple batteries and an external battery charger, but eventually I started getting No SIM issues as well, and by then Android had a much larger software library and more powerful phones, so I decided to finally upgrade. Now, I use it occasionally to play music and do occasional tasks, but I can no longer use it as a phone without getting a regular SIM again, and there's still the battery issue, so I don't turn it on often. There was a mod to use the Palm Pre's wireless charging on it, I don't know if it's still possible to find one of those these days, I would like to try that one day.

I used my brother's Behold 2 for a bit between the N900 breaking and finally getting the battery charger. It ran Android, but this was before Android was anything decent, and I don't think it could even upgrade past 1.6 (even with custom roms). So I wanted to get rid of it asap.

Eventually I decided I needed to upgrade and put the N900 days behind me, so I picked up a MyTouch 4G Slide. It had a physical keyboard which I adored, the camera was really good, and it had a dual-core Snapdragon which was top-notch at the time so I wasn't going to worry about a slow phone. I liked the Sense UI that came with it, but I rooted it and put stock ICS on there as soon as I could anyway, which worked great. Sadly, it died less than a year after getting it, couldn't get it to turn on anymore, and HTC nor T-Mobile would fix it. And this one came with a contract, so I needed to outright buy a phone to replace it which would have been too expensive for me. Also, because it came on contract, we lost the $5 unlimited 3G deal, and had to get the $30 5GB smartphone data plan, which I wasn't happy about.

So that's when I went to the Nokia 3710, it was my dad's old phone. Used it for a while, it wasn't much better than the Stripe but at least I could install more software to it. There's not really much to say about that one.

Finally, I upgraded to a Nexus 4 (which I'm still using). Didn't have to mess with custom roms, updates directly from Google, quad-core cpu and 2GB of RAM, 720p screen, beautiful design. It's got a glass back, but I've dropped it so many times and neither the back nor the screen have shattered or even scratched. Still loving it, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet thanks to the specs (my main concern with phones) and KitKat, doesn't lag at all. I have been kind of itching for a Nexus 6, if the rumors are true, although at 4.7" the 4's screen is very slightly uncomfortable for my small hands. And even if it doesn't get updates past Android L, because of its popularity, I think it'll be community supported for years to come, so who knows when I'll need to upgrade it.

lem0n

Nokia brick
Nokia 6101
Moto RAZR
Chocolate
Another RAZR
MyTouch 3G
Samsung Galaxy S2
HTC HD2
HTC One M7 (broke it)
Alcatel OneTouch (worst phone in existence)

Current: HTC One M8

Jasup

My first phone was the Nokia 1610. I got it some time in 1996 or so, it was huge.
I bought my 8110 the next year and loved it.
3330 was my longest serving phone, I used it for a decade from 2001 until 2011. I would've had continued to use it, but it finally met its doom during a ice fishing trip in harsh conditions.
My current phone is the Nokia 6700 slide.

I still haven't thought about getting a smartphone. I have a tablet I can easily take with me if I need to get online if I'm away. I take my phone as a phone and value reliability and good battery life.

DarkFlow

Banned
Both my anti-technology mom and younger sister had a cellphone before me. In HS, why did I WANT people to be able to get ahold of me? But I always said that if there was either an Apple phone or an "Xbox Live" phone, I'd buy it.

I had no money at its release; and honestly, neither did my mom. But for HS graduation, my mom have me $600 to camp in line for the first iphone. Rest is history. Love the devices, and have no desire to switch.

iPhone (original)
iPhone 3GS
IPhone 4S
IPhone 5
iPhone 5S (current)

... Plan to order an iPhone 6 next month. Still on AT&T unlimited data.

So you've never had anything but a iPhone your whole life? How incredibly boring.

Watevaman

The first phone I bought was a Samsung Alias 2, followed by a Motorola Droid 4, and then replaced by a Nokia Lumia Icon this past Spring.

I miss the Alias, to be honest. If everyone hadn't moved to Messenger and I didn't need access to mobile email, I'd definitely go back to a dumb phone.

Randam

I started with the Siemens S25 around 2000.
4yRLWhE.jpg

didn't even have a clock.

used it, till someday they locked my Sim-Card, because I hadn't recharged my Prepayd credit in to long.

so I went without a mobile phone for I think almost 3 years.

Bought the Siemens S65 in january of 05:
MelTyj1.jpg

had it till Oktober 2012.
was a good phone and it still works, but everybody else already had smartphones and was only using whatsapp, so I became a little outsider.

So I got the Xperia Go:
VDmJg3z.jpg

not the fastest phone, but nice and small.
but I dropped it a couple of times to many.
New display wasnt woth it, so I ordered the Z1 compact a couple of weeks ago:

XIVOG2A.jpg

yeah, it is nice, and fast, but imo to big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom