• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Bit of Info on Little Big Planet from Hands-On at PAX

Cartman86

Banned
Couldn't find an official LBP thread to put this in so here goes.

I was at PAX today and got to play LBP and ask a couple questions I've been dieing to know the answers to. The producer, Kyle Shubel who has been wrongly credited in some places as the "Massive Damage" dude was very awesome and answered everything. Here are the ones maybe worthy of note. I hope they aren't well known already.

Q. Can I copy a level to a Memory Stick or USB drive and share it with a friend or copy it to a PC for upload on a LBP Level site?
A. He said that at launch you will not be able to do this. It's possible down the line, but copyright issues are big hurdles for this.

Q. Can everyone on one PS3 log into their own PSN account profiles? And if so will everyone get trophies?
A. Yes and Yes

Q. Every dev created level shown has had the distinction of being able to be made by the user, but there are big video screens in some of the levels that are basically tutorials. Will we as level designers be able to create these videos for our own levels?
A. No, they were made specifically as tutorials for how to learn the basics of the overarching game.

My love of the game after finally playing it still holds up. Graphics are perfect, the menu layout and "hub" world is perfect, the competitive/co-op aspect is great fun if the people you play with don't screw around (and they didn't), and the potential is just so damn amazing. Only problem was the layers. It's a 2-D game, but trying jump from the foreground to background was a little difficult at times. However, it feels like something I can get used to with some more play time.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Cartman86 said:
Q. Can everyone on one PS3 log into their own PSN account profiles? And if so will everyone get trophies?
A. Yes and Yes
What? How will this work? You sure he understood you correctly? I wish Warhawk would do this, maybe there's a firmware update coming that enables it or something

And yeah the foreground/background thing looks like the one questionable area of the gameplay. Sometimes it looks automatic but other times it looks like the player is struggling to get in the correct layer. How is it controlled?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow the second one is interesting, I don't think any PS3 game has done that before. I've think I've heard of some 360 games doing the multiple account thing.

Cartman86

Banned
kenta said:
What? How will this work? You sure he understood you correctly? I wish Warhawk would do this, maybe there's a firmware update coming that enables it or something

And yeah the foreground/background thing looks like the one questionable area of the gameplay. Sometimes it looks automatic but other times it looks like the player is struggling to get in the correct layer. How is it controlled?

Yeah I was really interested in this after listening to the Giant Bomb podcast where I think Jeff G said that you could load multiple profiles, but he didn't know if everyone would get trophies, and the producer said they would. So it looks good.

EDIT: Oh and the layer control is both automatic and manual. Push down on the stick and you walk toward the screen, push up and you go away. It usually will auto do it for you though. If you jump up to a layer that is behind you for example Sackboy will auto move to the back layer. Though like I said it's not perfect.

YYZ

Did we ever get an answer about the importing pictures issue? I would like to hear an answer to this question since that other thread got out of hand.

Cartman86

Banned
YYZ said:
Did we ever get an answer about the importing pictures issue? I would like to hear an answer to this question since that other thread got out of hand.

Don't think we did. Forgot to ask the guy this. Maybe someone else has today? I'll be there tomorrow again so I'll try and get another answer.

PS: Also a little anecdote I found amusing. Before the hands on play was available they did a presentation where 4 people came up on the stage and made characters and had a race.

They were 4 kids ranging from 8-14. The 8 year old was a girl and it took her a while to make a character. While everyone was waiting it was obvious the guys felt good about themselves and were going to win the upcoming race. When the girl was done making her cute pink Sackboy the audience voted with applause on who had the best character. The girl ended up winning of course, because she was a cute little girl trying to play this game. I'm sure the boys were annoyed, but still probably thought nothing of her.

So the race begins and the boys shoot off towards the goal only to hit the fire obstacles and respawn twice. The girl waits till they all fuck up a couple times and slowly makes her way to the end. She ends up making it in one try and the audience loved it. Was really cute and funny to see this little girl with her cute pink Sackboy win against these boys with manly roman armor.

jiggle

it was already posted somewhere that the HDD img thing is not in but is something they may/could patch in the future

dejay

Banned
sykoex said:
Wow the second one is interesting, I don't think any PS3 game has done that before. I've think I've heard of some 360 games doing the multiple account thing.

Every 360 game does that to my (limited) knowledge.

Firestorm

sykoex said:
All 360 games do this. Each player (controller) plays under their own gamertag. Hopefully the PS3 gets this for all games on their next firmware update. Especially if Sony wants to tie trophies/achievements to Home.

Log4Girlz

Man, I really am not sure if this game will be a hit...I mean it will get some awesome scores...but will it resonate with ps3 owners...it better...this game keeps sounding cooler and cooler with every news snippet.

k79

Banned
Cartman86 said:
Don't think we did. Forgot to ask the guy this. Maybe someone else has today? I'll be there tomorrow again so I'll try and get another answer.

PS: Also a little anecdote I found amusing. Before the hands on play was available they did a presentation where 4 people came up on the stage and made characters and had a race.

They were 4 kids ranging from 8-14. The 8 year old was a girl and it took her a while to make a character. While everyone was waiting it was obvious the guys felt good about themselves and were going to win the upcoming race. When the girl was done making her cute pink Sackboy the audience voted with applause on who had the best character. The girl ended up winning of course, because she was a cute little girl trying to play this game. I'm sure the boys were annoyed, but still probably thought nothing of her.

So the race begins and the boys shoot off towards the goal only to hit the fire obstacles and respawn twice. The girl waits till they all fuck up a couple times and slowly makes her way to the end. She ends up making it in one try and the audience loved it. Was really cute and funny to see this little girl with her cute pink Sackboy win against these boys with manly roman armor.

Awesome :lol I'd love to see that on video :)

Cartman86 said:

that's funny! wish i was there to see it.

Cartman86

Banned
I asked today about custom images in the game and the person I asked said that right now the answer is no. It's always possible in the future, but again copyright issues are a big issue. Here's hoping we get it added in, but i'm a little doubtful right now.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Cartman86 said:
I asked today about custom images in the game and the person I asked said that right now the answer is no. It's always possible in the future, but again copyright issues are a big issue. Here's hoping we get it added in, but i'm a little doubtful right now.
Slightly off topic but could you ask if inFAMOUS has co-op? Online or local

edit: heck I'd like to know if there's any online gameplay at all

Cartman86

Banned
sykoex said:
Slightly off topic but could you ask if inFAMOUS has co-op? Online or local

edit: heck I'd like to know if there's any online gameplay at all

I'll try but I suspect that I would get the same answer that others have gotten and that is "We are not announcing such things at this moment".

If they wanted us to know right now we would have probably heard.

Concept17

Cartman86 said:

:lol :lol :lol

theBishop

Banned
Did he explain how restricting USB-stored images is going to stop me from taking a picture of copyrighted materials with my Playstation Eye camera?

YYZ

theBishop said:
Did he explain how restricting USB-stored images is going to stop me from taking a picture of copyrighted materials with my Playstation Eye camera?
It's just going to suck, people are still going to do it, but the quality is going to suck. Damn.

Darkpen

Banned
Cartman86 said:

:lol :lol :lol

dejay

Banned
sykoex said:
Too early for the real official thread, but a hype thread would be nice.

People bitch about hype threads and some of the mods don't like them. Then again people bitch about multiple threads. You can't fucking win.

Personally I'd love a hype thread - one thread to subscribe to and I don't have to sift through the whole days postings that I missed in case something interesting pops up.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Since the option to upload images from the HDD has been taken out, does anyone know the best way to get images captured from the PSEye not look like crap?

djkimothy

Cartman86 said:

:lol

Epic. I wish I was there to see the noob ownage.

And I think this really speaks volumes on the accessibility of the game.

Now with this 4 playerco-op race, was this on a single shared screen? How does this work in terms of gaining the lead/falling behind?

rass

Laguna X said:
Since the option to upload images from the HDD has been taken out, does anyone know the best way to get images captured from the PSEye not look like crap?
i dont have a PSEye (yet) but i like to take photos -- make sure whatever you're taking a picture of has plenty of light on it. moar light = better

FightyF

Banned
How was the image quality? FSAA? Some pics show it, some didn't...I'm hoping it has it, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Funny story though, too bad it wasn't recorded, it almost defines the experience (everyone can get into it...and that your sackboys really represent who you are).

Threi

notag
Cartman86 said:

GAF owned again it seems.

i would love to see that live :D

Cartman86

Banned
djkimothy said:
:lol

Epic. I wish I was there to see the noob ownage.

And I think this really speaks volumes on the accessibility of the game.

Now with this 4 playerco-op race, was this on a single shared screen? How does this work in terms of gaining the lead/falling behind?

Yeah they shared the screen. If you get left behind a counter appears for your character that will kill you when it reaches 0. From what i've seen if one of the players reaches the checkpoint (these little doors) then everyone will respawn there. You can create lives though and make it limited respawn. The level that they raced on didn't have a respawn door, so if you died you had to wait till everyone else died as well before you could respawn. That's why once everyone else died the girl was able to make it to the end in one go with no other person getting in the way.

FightyF said:
How was the image quality? FSAA? Some pics show it, some didn't...I'm hoping it has it, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Image looked fantastic. Not sure about the FSAA. I didn't notice any jaggies so there is at least some AA.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
That intro is SLICK.

I heard on the Player One Podcast there's opening cutscene with live action people, from all walks of life, playing LBP. I hope it's not as corny as I'm imagining.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
That skulldozer one was definitely the best of the lot. Looked pretty intense!

Thanks for the vids.
sykoex said:
That intro is SLICK.

I heard on the Player One Podcast there's opening cutscene with live action people, from all walks of life, play LBP. I hope it's not as corny as I'm imagining.
:lol You got that impression too?

w10

game looked awesome in almost every way.

i was disappointed to see severe clipping issues. not sure how old the build is, but if it's current - not sure they can fix in time.

Top Bottom