• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Booty XBLA / PSN Thread of Hexagonal Takeover (Trials Have Free Online Play!)

Rlan

bannerdefault.jpg

Age of Booty™

Developer: Certain Affinity

Publisher: Capcom

Genre: Strategy and Sims

Release Date: 10/15/2008 XBLA - PSN November (DELAYED)

Price: 800 Microsoft Points / $9.99

Fight for fortune and infamy in Age of Booty, Certain Affinity and Capcom's game of pirate strategy and cannon-blasting action that's fun for all ages. Sail the high seas alone or with friends as you build your pirate empire by plundering villages, sinking ships, and sending your enemies to the briny deep!

* Acclaimed developer: Age of Booty was developed in collaboration with Max Hoberman, designer of the multiplayer game for Halo 2 and Halo 3.
* Deep strategy: With 25 multiplayer maps and a fully-featured map editor, Age of Booty features easy-to-play game mechanics with deep multiplayer strategy.
* Multiplayer gameplay: Jump into pirate fun with up to four players on one console, and up to eight players over System Link or Xbox LIVE®. You can also play the free trial version online!

Age Of Booty Supports Free Online Play For Two Days Via Trial!

The trial is, of course, free. It provides unlimited access to certain features. Within the unlimited trial is a time-limited, multiplayer trial with even more features. When time expires, the trial returns to its normal state with the unlimited features still accessible.

Online Multiplayer - Yes, Age of Booty's trial supports online play, even on the X360! Trial users can hop online for the full game experience. The good news here is that all users will have shorter wait times in lobbies as a result of Trial and Full being part of the matchmaking. Online multiplayer is part of the limited multiplayer trial. Once activated, you have full access to all of the features, all 25 maps, all of the settings. You're given two 24-hour credits. Play for a few (or 24!) hours one day and then come back the next day or come back ten days later and play again.

LAN Multiplayer - This is restricted in the same way that Online multiplayer is.

Local Multiplayer - Play as much multiplayer on your console as you'd like. Play against the computer and/or 4-player split screen with three friends. This will normally be limited to one map and default settings. During the timed multiplayer trial, you'll have access to all maps and all settings.

Map Editor - You'll have unlimited access to all of the features ... other than saving. Sorry, if you want to save and share your maps, you'll need to upgrade to the full version. At least you'll get to see how easy and fun the map editor is for free.

Single Player - Three of the 21 maps are available to give you a feel for the Easy, Medium, and Hard modes. This also allows users to run through the tutorial which can trigger on any Challenge you choose to play.

If you're thinking we're giving away too much of the multiplayer, well, we think we've got a winner on our hands and want to make sure you have the opportunity to see for yourself. We're confident in how much fun the game is. We've watched as everyone who has had their hands on a controller has come away addicted. For just $10, we think you'll want to join our pirate community. Help yourself to as much of that free multiplayer as you want!

A couple of differences between the platforms:

X360 - The details above cover the X360 Trial. This will be released on the same day as the X360 Full version.

PS3 - The PS3 Trial is due a week or two after the Full version launches. The details above cover the PS3 Trial as well with one exception. In its current state, the PS3 Trial's unlimited multiplayer locks itself after three matches. If you're craving more of the unlimited multiplayer features, just quit out and launch Age of Booty again. All the other normal trial features remain accessible. (We had to make a change due to security. You want us to build expansion packs and sequels after all, right?)

PC - We're wrapping this right now, but it looks like we're going to give the X360 version of the Trial with unlimited multiplayer access immediately, with the whole trial expiring after a set amount of time.

2937788493_7ef6db5d8d_o.jpg

2937789177_500d15e3d7_o.jpg

2938642738_8b4e9194e8_o.jpg

been playing it a bit for the PC beta, never have actually found other people to play it with using the matchmaking, very direct port feel, will give it a try on 360

Jonnyram

Oh ffs. They add the "except Japan" when it gets launched AGAIN.
They shouldn't say everywhere in the fucking press release if they know damned well it's not coming out in Japan.

And while I'm ranting, FUCK YOU CAPCOM for your continued apathy towards the Japanese audience. The only Capcom title that has come out on XBLA in Japan is Bionic Commando, and they even managed to fuck that up by separating its ID (for achievements and scores) from the international version.

Rlan

Had some online games. Very fun. It uses a Halo-esque matching system, not some BS like... every other XBLA title with online out there.

They should just sell THAT to every single company making games out there:lol

xbhaskarx

I wonder how the levels are meant to be played, Easy1 --> Easy2 or Easy1 --> Medium1
The first makes more sense but the second is how the "story" goes...

xbhaskarx

Ugh, this is so frustrating, there needs to be a way to issue orders to your computer controlled ally.
-We have lots of resources yet he won't upgrade, so he's by far the weakest ship.
-The objective is to capture 3 towns and we have 2, yet he never helps attack the remaining town, so I eventually have to retreat.
-It's also terrible at helping trap enemy ships, so they come over and attack, and then retreat before being destroyed.
That last one probably can't be helped, but there are so many unused buttons that you should be able to order the other ship to upgrade or move/attack.

Also there really needs to be at least a 3-5 second delay before ships respawn, or maybe they shouldn't respawn with full health so they have to stay at the base for a few seconds.

Icarus

HugBasket said:
so it a turn based strategy game or what?

Real time, with online and offline (split screen) multiplayer. So far, I'm liking it, especially multiplayer (single player seems mostly like a tutorial, at least the bits I've messed with).

I'm just on the trial right now but I'm going to play it with some friends tonight.

HugBasket

Banned
a friend and i are playing the trial right now

so freaking amazing

edit: combat isn't deep enough. i expected more from a capcom game

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Tried a few multiplayer games; the problem is that it feels very simplistic. There are almost no play mechanics and if they were taking Catan as their inspiration, they missed several layers of game system that create elegantly simple, interlocking strategy.

I want to like it, but there's no meat on the bones. This would get boring fast.

Rlan

HugBasket said:
something more than auto attack, maybe something involving a little thought

Well it's meant to be a simplified RTS essentially, which do Auto Attack.

There's plenty of strategy behind how you go about the levels though. One level I played last night had a single base with Rum, so you really needed to try and keep that if you were to win - as you could get upgrades.

It's a ton of fun when you're playing with someone else. 4v4 is awesome.

Rlan

IGN Review

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/920/920467p1.html

If you have a group of like-minded friends (or are interested in making some), Age of Booty is an addictive online strategy game that rewards communication and teamwork. It’s simple to grasp, but there’s enough depth and balance to please hardcore players. The single-player mode, however, is damaged by uncooperative AI teammates who seem to be lone wolves more than a band of pirate brothers. Overall though, Age of Booty is a winner. Enjoy it with a tankard of your finest grog.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I instantly loved this game after playing the trial online all day today. Most games ive had it was never a huge win over the other team, Was always a push and pull and very close or lots of Stalemateys. TRY THIS GAME!!!!

I will be buying this tommorow on XBLA. Add me if you want. GT: Metalic Sand

Edit: Really need to play with people who all have mics too since you need to manage Ship upgrades and base upgrades at the same time since resources are shared. You can totally get fucked over if someone is not playing with the team. But once you have a great team who listens and backs you up. Good stuff

HugBasket said:
edit: combat isn't deep enough. i expected more from a capcom game

Isnt Certain Affinity the dev? Capcom is the publisher.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
At the end of that review they mention Certain affinity promises free regular DLC for Age of booty. Overall it seems the "Friendly ai" knocked it down to the 8.0? With the Halo Party system in a XBLA title and promise of free DLC i wonder why they wouldnt rate it a 9/10.

Yea that review screams a 9/10 after rereading it. I love the game and the reviewer seems to also which is why i find the 8/10 so odd when he has nothing but high praise.

CapKraig

Using your mic is a must.. it gives you a definite advantage.. and i don't want to jinx it, but I just had 3 matches with the most civil group of XBLAers ever.

Hexes = gentlemanly multiplayer conduct?

CapKraig said:
Using your mic is a must.. it gives you a definite advantage.. and i don't want to jinx it, but I just had 3 matches with the most civil group of XBLAers ever.

Hexes = gentlemanly multiplayer conduct?

I think it's the kind of crowd that a game like this draws - you know, not your average XBLer who just wants to shoot shit. Same with Ticket to Ride... I don't think I was ever called a derogatory name while playing.

The game is a lot of fun, though. 4v4 with your team actually communicating makes a world of difference. One super minor thing - I wish the name was still Plunder! It rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "Age of Booty."

Rlan

Damn shame about the delay on PSN. It will support trophies though.

I wonder what caused it to be delayed so close to release?

I've had no troubles getting online games thanks to the awesome connection system in place. However going by the leaderboards not a whole lot of people have bought it yet. Need to get the word out!

TwoBacks

Neo Member
The demo for this surprised me. I will be picking it up later this week. I'm a sucker for board game mechanics in real time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Metalic Sand said:
At the end of that review they mention Certain affinity promises free regular DLC for Age of booty. Overall it seems the "Friendly ai" knocked it down to the 8.0? With the Halo Party system in a XBLA title and promise of free DLC i wonder why they wouldnt rate it a 9/10.

Yea that review screams a 9/10 after rereading it. I love the game and the reviewer seems to also which is why i find the 8/10 so odd when he has nothing but high praise.
There seems to be a glass ceiling around 9.0 for download-able games on IGN, so you could probably add a point if you're a fan of the games offered on those services.

I enjoyed the game, but it could stand to be a little faster and a little flashier.

Shamrock

Banned
This game is so much fun online. It's about time they release a arcade game with full party matchmaking so you can play with friends.

F#A#Oo

Banned
This game is very fun! Bought the full version pretty much straight after completing the 1st challenge.

If anyone wants to add me my GT is Mr Affluenza.

Icarus

Yep, I too took the plunge today after playing last night with a friend (we got owned but still had a lot of fun).

Lain

I wonder if the delay will make the trial come out same day as the game for PSN as well, or will it still be 1 or 2 weeks after the full game?

radjago

MicVlaD said:
Age of Booty's up, FYI.

And here's the interview I had with ex-Bungie Max Hoberman (who worked there as the multiplayer design lead); now known as the founder of Certain Affinity. Should anyone care.
I didn't realize it was Certain Affinity that was making this. It's Pimps at Sea fo' realz!

Rlan

Bamelin said:
I'm very interested in this game but I'm scared that the online community will be dead within a month.

The way they do matchmaking makes it a WHOLE lot easier to get games. It's like Halo 3 - you don't have to specifically make a choice between "make game" and "join game", which is half the problem. Games like Gripshift or Switchball multiplayer would work so much better if they did this. Death Tank is apparently doing something very similar (you can join matches already in progress)

When I was playing last night, I found that quite a few of the players who were really getting good at the game with teamwork... hadn't bought the game yet. They were using the free online two day trial.

If they can keep that up, and once those days are over they buy it, it's a complete win. And it makes online for us a whole lot easier.

CapKraig

We're aiming to release some free DLC at some point to keep that from happening. We do not want the community for this game to move on. :)

CapKraig

Rlan said:
The way they do matchmaking makes it a WHOLE lot easier to get games. It's like Halo 3 - you don't have to specifically make a choice between "make game" and "join game", which is half the problem. Games like Gripshift or Switchball multiplayer would work so much better if they did this. Death Tank is apparently doing something very similar (you can join matches already in progress)

When I was playing last night, I found that quite a few of the players who were really getting good at the game with teamwork... hadn't bought the game yet. They were using the free online two day trial.

If they can keep that up, and once those days are over they buy it, it's a complete win. And it makes online for us a whole lot easier.

Boy, we sure hope they do. And they'll know exactly what they're buying.

alanias

The only two problems with this game are people dropping out in the middle of a match, and people who don't know how to play. If you get one of these types in a four on four you're bound to lose. However, when you get a good team together there's nothing more rewarding. Awesome game.

HugBasket

Banned
CapKraig said:
We're aiming to release some free DLC at some point to keep that from happening. We do not want the community for this game to move on. :)
Any chance of upping the gameplay beyond 5 is greater than 4?

honestly, if the game had ship position (backside takes more damage, firing from your side increases accuracy, more/faster movement increases dodging) as a factor in combat i'd be all over this.

Top Bottom