• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

gAg CruSh3r

Can't they make the 20gb download update something you can download before game release, for people that will be buying the disc?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
If MS, Sony, and third party pubs just put everything on multiple discs because of shitty ISPs, those ISPs will never be pressured or asked to change their shitty ways. Companies like MS, Sony, Netflix, and others should push the ISPs to finally get their shit together. It's a long road ahead, though.

VinFTW

Disc owners cannot do that. And preloading it does not solve the problem for people with data caps.

Yeah, I don't think this launch goes very well if they keep getting slammed for a 20 gig patch all damn day

Maybe they'll make it available? Wish people would just stop and think rationally before calling this complete fan service "gross" by a bunch of "cheap bastards" "giving the fuck you" to people with slow internet.

If you're honestly in that shitty of a situation go digital? You're picking the disk, deal with the consequences.

Wait it out. They might put the patch up early for everyone.

I see your point. Hope 343 can come up with some clever solution with this.
Should think twice before posting. Lesson learned, thank you and others for correcting me.

Still a great collection, though, isn't it?

Of course. It will likely be my most played game of the holidays and of next year.

I just don't like seeing people (quite a lot of people in regards to rural America and Canada) being fairly significantly inconvenienced for something that could have been solved by having a two disk collection. I mean hell, Halo: CE Anniversary was two disks, why can't this be? I also think it sets a bad precedent. It's not -that- big a deal for most of us for only Halo to do this, but if this becomes the standard way to deal with games that go over 50GB? That's bad, I really don't want to see that. Anyone with download caps at all would be greatly effected.

Raide

Yep, Microsoft couldn't possibly afford it.
Oh wait, we're talking about the company that just blew $2.5b on a tiny dev studio.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure BD manufacturing costs are way down these days.

I am sure they could but they probably did not plan it that way. I have no idea how much planning it takes to split a project across multiple discs but they probably just planned for 1 disc and a digital update. Guess they did not plan it would be 20Gb by the end lol.

Maybe they'll make it available? Wish people would just stop and think rationally before calling this complete fan service "gross" by a bunch of "cheap bastards" "giving the fuck you" to people with slow internet.

If you're honestly in that shitty of a situation go digital? You're picking the disk, deal with the consequences.

Wait it out. They might put the patch up early for everyone.

Deal with the consequences?!

What on earth...

No they are giving you a whole bunch of extra shit with more corners and asking you to download it.

If it's just MP that requires the patch then its a good thing since MP will not work anyway if the servers are offline .

They're locking multiplayer behind a really huge patch. That's big enough that they really should've just put it on a disk and called it square.

Xenon

They -are- cutting corners, though. Not in terms of content, because that's massive, but in terms of not including it all in one physical package. I'm not sure why this is up for other interpretation.

No they are giving you a whole bunch of extra shit with more corners and asking you to download it.

If it's just MP that requires the patch then its a good thing since MP will not work anyway if the servers are offline .

If MS, Sony, and third party pubs just put everything on multiple discs because of shitty ISPs, those ISPs will never be pressured or asked to change their shitty ways. Companies like MS, Sony, Netflix, and others should push the ISPs to finally get their shit together. It's a long road ahead, though.

Netflix and Sony already pressure the ISPs. Sony started recently because of their movie and music services (forget the name), and Netflix has been doing it for AGES. Not to mention Google, Wikipedia, and a ton of other companies who have been against all the crap ISPs pull. The problem is the complete and utter lack of government intervention in the issues, except for when they almost vote terrible, terrible bills into law. (i.e. the anti-Net Neutrality bill and SOPA/PIPA/countless other names for the same bill)

Sounds like my best option is to wipe some HDD space, cancel my physical pre-order and buy it digitally. I want to play on Day 1, not Day 2 because I purchased a physical copy. But 70GB games man...
Oprah-Disappointed-gif.gif

What about people with data cap?

Microsoft doesn't care about the caps.

I mean, they wanted to release an always online, kinect-mandatory console and were praising the all-digital future of gaming (to kill the used games market). It's not a vision you push if you let little details like data caps bother you.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It would be good if they also make it available on its own on the marketplace for those who might not have it on day one but can just get it in the meantime, especially for those buying it on disc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Relax babbies, the extra content will also be part of the preload data.

I do however understand it sucks for folks with caps and restrictions.

And yes. It's a lot.

Xenon

They're locking multiplayer behind a really huge patch. That's big enough that they really should've just put it on a disk and called it square.

It's not locked. As long as the servers are up you can downloaded. Once they go down it will not be needed anyway.

And yes. It's a lot.

KIkRa5x.png

Raide

And yes. It's a lot.

Any chance of retail people being able to download the update early too?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

And yes. It's a lot.

Is it extra content on top of the 45gb? Need to know how much space to clear.

Also any pre-order bonuses?

Prologue

If I am buying the disc, can I download the 20gb beforehand?

That would be pretty cool actually.

My hard drive weeps, as well as my internet connection. At least we can still play while we wait. I thought blu rays can be double/triple layered or something? I'm not very involved in those matters as you can see.

Portugeezer

Yes because they would only ship a few thousand copies. Super cheap!

So? Yes, it's a lot of content, however I can't imagine this game cost a lot to make as most of the content was already made. It is essentially a Halo 2 remake with upresed ports of Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 4. Correct me if I am wrong.

Would be nice if a MS store, gamestop, or some large retailer had a Kiosk where the file would be already available to copy to a thumb drive or something. A bit of a security risk, and maybe way too convoluted, but for people with caps, it'd be an option.

Or it's possible I'm talking out of my ass.

Euron

So if we're not preloading the game, will we have to wait for the 20GB patch to install before we can even play the game? Or can we campaign while it downloads since it sounds like it's just for the multiplayer?

Fuchsdh

Of course. It will likely be my most played game of the holidays and of next year.

I just don't like seeing people (quite a lot of people in regards to rural America and Canada) being fairly significantly inconvenienced for something that could have been solved by having a two disk collection. I mean hell, Halo: CE Anniversary was two disks, why can't this be? I also think it sets a bad precedent. It's not -that- big a deal for most of us for only Halo to do this, but if this becomes the standard way to deal with games that go over 50GB? That's bad, I really don't want to see that. Anyone with download caps at all would be greatly effected.

No it wasn't...

VinFTW

So? Yes, it's a lot of content, however I can't imagine this game cost a lot to make as most of the content was already made. It is essentially a Halo 2 remake with upresed ports of Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 4. Correct me if I am wrong.
You couldn't be any more wrong.

mocoworm

PREDOWNLOAD STARTS TODAY!

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/games-halo-gone-gold-announcement

Halo: The Master Chief Collection has gone GOLD!

This is a massive milestone for the team and also means that the game will be available for Pre-Order and Pre-Download later today. I couldn’t be more excited to start having fans grab this game online so everyone can hit the ground running on release day! The team has been working incredibly hard to make this happen, so we’re all eager for you to play this labor of love.

One of the questions we get asked most is about worldwide release plans. The reality of worldwide sales and retail processes always makes simultaneous launches challenging. Some fans expressed disappointment in our original planned release date of November 11 in North America and November 14 in several other territories around the world. We heard you loud and clear, and I am happy to announce that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be released on November 11 for the majority of our fans around world!

There are still a few countries that will see a slight delay due to public holidays. In Europe, Belgium will release on November 12 and France will release on November 14 as part of their typical Friday release schedule. Our fans in Japan will see a release of November 13. Given the social aspects of the experience, we were really happy to get it as close to a simultaneous worldwide release as possible so that we can all celebrate on November 11 and start playing together.

And yes. It's a lot.

Is there any reason this wouldn't have just shipped on two disks?

I just want to express that choosing to make this a download is a significant issue in rural areas and in most of Canada. Some people (like my cousin working in Northern Canada) will literally not be able to play split screen multiplayer at all unless I mail him a USB key with the update data on it. Halo has a deep history with split screen multiplayer and it's disappointing to see the MCC be so difficult to get into for people with poor internet when a second disk seemingly could have solved all of these issues.

And yes. It's a lot.

I am getting the game digitally, but can you confirm for people buying it physically if they can pre-load the 20GB content update?

Darkangel

So if you live in the country and only have dial-up will you be missing like a third of the game? Halo 4 was on two disks, why didn't they just add a second disk?

sangreal

Would be nice if a MS store, gamestop, or some large retailer had a Kiosk where the file would be already available to copy to a thumb drive or something. A bit of a security risk, and maybe way too convoluted, but for people with caps, it'd be an option.

Or it's possible I'm talking out of my ass.

they can do this, but xbox one has a minimum 256gb or something for external drives. Aside from that, you're free to copy the full game to and from external drives. Definitely something stores should consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom