• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidsoul

Banned
My only concern is, and I ask Frankie directly.

If I am not connected to the Internet, can I pop in the disc and play through all 4 campaigns with all the cutscenes entirely without downloading any update? That's really all I need.

Crazy stuff, that must have been a fun discussion.

There is no bundle, it's painful but they want to keep the 3rd parties happy I'm guessing and it'll help make Sunset Overdrive a franchise.

Quotient

That is huge - bigger than most games, though this is a collection of 4 games. Regardless hopefully this does not become the norm but rather an unfortunate exception.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And remember that if it were two discs, that would completely wreck the functionality and experience of the unified interface. Trust me, two discs would have been easier in a lot of ways.

This sounds to me like either poor planning, or that they needed to cut costs, and so only ship one disc. How large are the hard disks that come with an X1? And do PS4 games also require huge updates like this?

20gb?

Is that the best you could do?

My connection laughs at your pitiful patch size, 343i.

UW63T92.gif

Gowans

Best way I say, the more GBs the better!!! ;)

A 20gb update is nothing compared to what happens on my Steam Library games on a regular basis.

iMax

And remember that if it were two discs, that would completely wreck the functionality and experience of the unified interface. Trust me, two discs would have been easier in a lot of ways.

Could there have been an install disc perhaps like for Halo 4?

TrounceX

Guess I'm rescheduling my vacation day and canceling my midnight release plans. With my 1.5mb DSL, this will take probably 2 days to download. Fuck this trend of massive updates and fuck rural America's Internet speeds. Goddammit this pisses me off...

Stinkles

This sounds to me like either poor planning, or that they needed to cut costs, and so only ship one disc. How large are the hard disks that come with an X1? And do PS4 games also require huge updates like this?

See the post above yours.

I'm pretty sure that Halo 4 is bigger than that. It came on two discs.

The content on disc 2 takes up 3.45GB if I'm not mistaken.

That's the size on the marketplace download version.
Maybe its slightly compressed but so will the data on the disc be compressed.

Solidsoul

Banned
Can anyone confirm to me all campaigns are playable without the patch? I read the bulletin but it wasn't very specific on the details of playing campaign.

sangreal

Guess I'm rescheduling my vacation day and canceling my midnight release plans. With my 1.5mb DSL, this will take probably 2 days to download. Fuck this trend of massive updates and fuck rural America's Internet speeds. Goddammit this pisses me off...

if you know somebody who is preloading, get the install from them on an external drive. it should work w/ the disc game too

-PXG-

Eh, it's a pain in the ass. I'm used to Steam downloads anyway so no biggie for me. I'll just make sure to slap my ethernet capable to ensure an even faster download. I normally get around 25mbps or more.

Sucks for Europeans, lol

Why not a one time install disk then? Many games have done that. I mean, even Halo 4 did that.

Shin-Ra

Having a 500GB HDD isn't an issue for people that buy Blu-ray games precisely because they can delete what they're not playing and quickly reinstall a game if necessary.

I do not know why people are making such a big deal out of this...just because its MS people are like oh they are trying to save money. If Sony did this people would be all good about it.

They are releasing a huge amount of content. Unless everyone would be ok with them charging $70 for the game. Besides why would you not want to go digital anyway this Gen? Disc drives can fail, generate heat and be noisy.
Why would you want to go 'digital' (download) and wait longer to redownload games making content management more stressful, pay more for games, have no resale value and not actually own a copy of the game when online services are stopped.

IMO, the reason why 343 do this is loud and clear

1. If you don't have the internet access to download these "online content,"
then why bother? You can't play MP also.

2. You may argue that it take HOURS to complete that download,
but there are still plenty of contents including four full campaign
waiting for you to try out before you dip into MP.
Also, I prefer to lay in the couch for 8 hours of nonstop HALO than having
to constantly change the disc everytime I switch from MP to SP modes.

3. What about if you have ULTRAFAST internet connection but are simply
mad at 343 for they don't want to cut corners? Then go back to your 360
or XBOX for nastalgia while we are enjoying those NATIVE 1080P badass.

It's really simple. I don't see why people are arguing this.
*deleted*

EDIT: You're right. I should be more considerate.
1. Even though you've bought a disc with the game on it, you still have to wait for a heft download to play multiplayer.
2. What if you just want to play multiplayer (also they could have split H1/2 on one BD, H3/4 on another)
3. lol.

danwarb

Eh, it's a pain in the ass. I'm used to Steam downloads anyway so no biggie for me. I'll just make sure to slap my ethernet capable to ensure an even faster download. I normally get around 25mbps or more.

Sucks for Europeans, lol

What's up with Europeans? It's pre-loadable now.

I hate myself for being okay with this.

Yeah kinda this. I have fast internet, no download cap and was getting the digital version anyway.

Sucks for everyone who isn't in this particular bracket.

I did write out reasons that justify this but there's no real need to defend it. Developers don't make things more difficult on purpose. If this is what they have to do to deliver this package then I guess this is what it takes.

It's a little frustrating, but considering the scope of the collection it makes sense.

I think a lot of people are suggesting that the second disc would just be an additional content install disc, so that they do not have to download it over the internet.

Flai

Euros usually have shit internet or pesky bandwidth caps.

Really? I have always thought that it's the Americans who have data caps (and shit internet)..? At least here in Finland there are no data caps and the speed is pretty decent.

A big download, its time like this I wish they'd give people costs for the retail version to download it so they can just pop the disc in when it arrives and play but that kind of negates one of the perks of ordering from the Store.

Cant wait those, 343i delivering an incredible package

Skele7on

Banned
some of these comments are gold.

You obviously have no idea how packaging software / installs of any kind works.

You can't just at the last minute go ohh well need to put data on a second disc....

You need to have a base foundation for the update files then to latch onto.

Imagine it like building a house or a spider web. you can't put a roof on if it has no walls.

If they had used the two disc method, we'd have had a similar outcome to what ODST did.

J7fzrdc.gif

Euros usually have shit internet or pesky bandwidth caps.

And yeah,XBL is getting straight up gang banged that day. Fucked beyond belief.

Well my 100mbps and 20mbps up unlimited laughs at your statement.

I would say something about LAN play for halo games not needing the internet so maps should be on disc however if I remember right, LAN play in the MCC requires a ping to xbox live, meaning you can't even play a local game offline correctly.

No data caps here at least. Cable is cheap and fast.

South uk in the countryside you will be lucky to hit 1MB down on a DSL line, I know as I had to play destiny over it.

some of these comments are gold.

You obviously have no idea how packaging software / installs of any kind works.

You can't just at the last minute go ohh well need to put data on a second disc....

You need to have a base foundation for the update files then to latch onto.

Imagine it like building a house or a spider web. you can't put a roof on if it has no walls.

If they had used the two disc method, we'd have had a similar outcome to what ODST did.

Yeah it isn't like they did that with Halo 4

Stinkles

My only concern is, and I ask Frankie directly.

If I am not connected to the Internet, can I pop in the disc and play through all 4 campaigns with all the cutscenes entirely without downloading any update? That's really all I need.

You can do what you described, and also a good chunk of MP custom games (from the disc, obviously you'd still want to HAVE a connection to play properly).

Son Of D

I won't be surprised if something like this happens with not only the rumoured Gears of War collection but also a possible Uncharted Trilogy for PS4.

Not even a year into this console generation and Blu Ray storage is already an issue.

To be fair it's four games in one package. I can't see this affecting any Gen 8 exlcusive games until something like FFXV or GTA6.

-PXG-

Really? I have always thought that it's the Americans who have data caps (and shit internet)..? At least here in Finland there are no data caps and the speed is pretty decent.

You guys up there don't count. Your shit is on point. But I've seen many others of Euro/ PAL GAF bitch about internet connections over the years.

If they capped me.... I'd lose my mind.

Akai__

You can do what you described, and also a good chunk of MP custom games (from the disc, obviously you'd still want to HAVE a connection to play properly).

What languages will Halo: MCC support? Can we switch languages in game or do we need to switch it in the Xbox One system settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom