• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Gaming?

Dennis

Banned
How can you be dissapointed by 4K? The difference is huge:

01s3u1v.jpg

ahahahahahah this is hilarious

Makai

I also prefer framerate to resolution. It's strange to me that we have 1440p phones but they're all still 60hz

Skyzard

Banned
I have the same monitor. It really disappoints visually. Luckily, amazon :)

Any good alternatives? I guess I don't mind dropping to 2560 since I game at that mostly anyway. Not sure if I prefer 16:9 or 10.

But yeah...people were saying there are better monitors coming...
IPS G-Sync... any good buys?

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27 seems decent but I'm not that clued up with monitors.

I would like the nicest quality and would prefer not to see ghosting if possible as it will be for games of course.

120Hz+ isn't essential (mainly because I don't want to be hooked on it) but I don't mind forking out a bit more for the option. GSync does sound good though.

Any suggestions under a grand?

axb2013

A friend of mine got the Samsung one for $579 3 months ago. I was dismissive of TN but honestly it's great, as good as any TN I ever saw
as long as you don't look at it until you are seated in the perfect spot

I don't know whether Windows 10 addresses the DPI scaling issue, if it doesn't, I wouldn't go for a 4K display below 32" unless you have 20/10 vision.

4K is awesome but he had 3 780's driving it. My next build will definitely be 4K but it will have to wait another GPU generation and yet SLI will be a must have. No way a single GPU will drive existing titles, let alone upcoming ones. I'm ok with that, for me it's worth it but it's not happening before 2015.

Smokey

I have the same monitor. It really disappoints visually. Luckily, amazon :)

Any good alternatives? I guess I don't mind dropping to 2560 since I game at that mostly anyway. Not sure if I prefer 16:9 or 10.

But yeah...people were saying there are better monitors coming...
IPS G-Sync... any good buys?

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27 seems decent - any informed suggestions? I'm not that clued up with monitors.

I would like the nicest quality and would prefer not to see ghosting if possible as it will be for games of course.

120Hz+ isn't essential (mainly because I don't want to be hooked on it) but I don't mind forking out a bit more for the option. GSync does sound good though.

The Swift is very, very good for gaming. Good luck finding one though.

Skyzard

Banned
The Swift is very, very good for gaming. Good luck finding one though.

In the UK I see one, is the image quality impressive?

That's my main disappointment with this monitor (same as ops). Really boring visually, sure, extra details but meh.

Smokey

In the UK I see one, is the image quality impressive?

That's my main disappointment with this monitor (same as ops). Really boring visually, sure, extra details but meh.

Didn't know you were in UK. They are everywhere in Europe, but extremely scarce in the US for some reason.

What do you mean by impressive? It has the usual shortcomings of a TN panel. It's not trying to produce the best picture. The overall package of 2560x1440 and 120hz/144hz/GSYNC is what makes the monitor special.

I love mine. If you have the horsepower to take advantage of the resolution, I definitely recommend it. GSYNC with 2560x1440 really is something.

I also have a 4k panel just like the OP. It has it's own qualities. Really depends on the type of games you play. Both situations are excellent provided you have the muscle in your rig to enjoy them.

Top Bottom