• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Mzo

You can see if offers have been made and if they have been rejected or not, but you can't see any dollar amounts.

Mzo

Has the Portland Retro Gaming Expo ever had its own thread? I'd love to hear about what to expect from people who have been there the last few years. This'll be my first time and I'm pretty excited for it.

IrishNinja

i don't think it has (maybe i missed it?) but we really should do a dedicated one for it this year! might have to message woodypop to see if he's on board as well.

Khaz

That's really cool! I had the Master System version, didn't know it had entirely different levels than the Arcade and every other port. Also I like how you can see both floors on screen. But no 2P mode :(. I'll have to get the Sega Ages version to complement it!

RAIDEN1

Totally random question but does anyone here know how to get the CD-Version of Beneath a Steel Sky to work on Windows 8.1? Tried downloading versions for SCUMM-VM but it doesn't seem to work, and the GOG version of the game has the bad music/sound of the floppy disk version!

Khaz

it can only works directly with the CD with some select few games
http://scummvm.org/faq/#4_1
For everything else you need to rip it to ogg, mp3, whatever and rename the tracks to track1.ogg, track2.ogg, etc.
Or start numbering from 2, it works too.
It's in the readme, section 7.8

Khaz

How difficult is it to sell a videogame internationally on Amazon? I've been in contact with a guy who never sent anything abroad. He talked me into merging the original price and shipping price in order to trick Amazon or something. But Amazon still didn't let me use my foreign adress, at which point he just gave up selling me his stuff. He didn't want to deal directly through Paypal either.

Teknoman

Get ready for the GAF plays: 31 nights of terror 2 thread (October 1st).

Its not just limited to retro games either, but its a great opportunity to dive into horror themed games you've missed or that have been silently rotting away in your backlog, waiting to sink their fangs into your console.

...or PC

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Get ready for the GAF plays: 31 nights of terror 2 thread (October 1st).

Its not just limited to retro games either, but its a great opportunity to dive into horror themed games you've missed or that have been silently rotting away in your backlog, waiting to sink their fangs into your console.

...or PC

Hmm... y'know, for whatever reason, I've been wanting to buy Silent Hill 2 and finally try that game out for the first time. This is a good excuse to do that.

Seik

Banned
Testing waters here...

Anyone made/is making a Nintendo DS thread? I can see it's not in the OP but I'm not taking any chances. :)

I called myself a little something that will finally permit me to rip my own DS roms, recently, I saw a thread about DS emulation with pics of games with better native res. and it hyped me to join the bandwagon. So I'd like to make a DS Appreciation/Emulation/Collector thread, plus it's been a while since I made one of those so I'm hyped to do it!

Is the DS old enough to be part of retroGAF? :p

Testing waters here...

Anyone made/is making a Nintendo DS thread? I can see it's not in the OP but I'm not taking any chances. :)

I called myself a little something that will finally permit me to rip my own DS roms, recently, I saw a thread about DS emulation with pics of games with better native res. and it hyped me to join the bandwagon. So I'd like to make a DS Appreciation/Emulation/Collector thread, plus it's been a while since I made one of those so I'm hyped to do it!

Is the DS old enough to be part of retroGAF? :p
Yeah there's a thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725449

Khaz

I just found a UK seller using eBay GSP? I thought this was an American thing only. While I don't think they'll be audacious enough to have European buyers pay taxes, the shipping price to cross the pond is already ridiculous and something like three times more than what I usually pay.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, the flash cart sales over at Stone Age Gamer have just been ridiculous. On Black Friday, they gave you gift certificates equal to about 15-20% the price of the flash cart, and then today on Cyber Monday it was about 10-15% the cost. Combine that with their triple tickets promotion and I got like $200 worth of gift certificates after buying 4 flash carts. Enough to get me another flash cart and a nice set of BitBoxes.

So I'm getting EverDrives for NES, SNES, TG16/PCE, and Genesis. Probably gonna grab a SMS Everdrive too. Gonna be so glorious. :eek:

Man, the flash cart sales over at Stone Age Gamer have just been ridiculous. On Black Friday, they gave you gift certificates equal to about 15-20% the price of the flash cart, and then today on Cyber Monday it was about 10-15% the cost. Combine that with their triple tickets promotion and I got like $200 worth of gift certificates after buying 4 flash carts. Enough to get me another flash cart and a nice set of BitBoxes.

So I'm getting EverDrives for NES, SNES, TG16/PCE, and Genesis. Probably gonna grab a SMS Everdrive too. Gonna be so glorious. :eek:

To people that own them, how are the stone age gamer sold flash carts? I mean the shells for them. They come in a bunch of different colors, but I don't want some shitty pain job where it comes off after using it for a while, or just looks like a hot mess.

To people that own them, how are the stone age gamer sold flash carts? I mean the shells for them. They come in a bunch of different colors, but I don't want some shitty pain job where it comes off after using it for a while, or just looks like a hot mess.

I have their purple SD2SNES, it's beautiful, high quality.

Shining

Aynone having problem with SAL shipping from Japan lately? It usually doesn't take more than two weeks to arrive but now it's been almost a month since the orders were shipped. Two different sellers.

Teknoman

Aynone having problem with SAL shipping from Japan lately? It usually doesn't take more than two weeks to arrive but now it's been almost a month since the orders were shipped. Two different sellers.

Depends on the sellers I guess? I had a problem with one and Silhouette Mirage awhile back, but recently its been pretty quick.

Khaz

Now isn't the best time to order stuff online anyway, the network is saturated because of Christmas and the risk of getting your parcel lost is much higher.

Hey retroGAF! I've been playing a lot of SNES games lately because I missed them the first time around and can't afford a new console yet so I'm plundering the past. I've played all the Marios and Zeldas up to the 16 bit era and I love them, they are just perfect games to me. I'm now playing through the Donkey Kong series and just finished Donkey Kong Country 2 the other night. Damn that game is hard!! I honestly would never have beaten it without save states, I don't know how anyone manages to do it on the original hardware! But it was a really good platformer and had a lot of charm to it and a good feel.

Can anyone recommend me some good lesser know SNES platformers that I might like? Does anything else approach Mario-level awesomeness? Thanks!

Hey retroGAF! I've been playing a lot of SNES games lately because I missed them the first time around and can't afford a new console yet so I'm plundering the past. I've played all the Marios and Zeldas up to the 16 bit era and I love them, they are just perfect games to me. I'm now playing through the Donkey Kong series and just finished Donkey Kong Country 2 the other night. Damn that game is hard!! I honestly would never have beaten it without save states, I don't know how anyone manages to do it on the original hardware! But it was a really good platformer and had a lot of charm to it and a good feel.

Can anyone recommend me some good lesser know SNES platformers that I might like? Does anything else approach Mario-level awesomeness? Thanks!

DoReMi Fantasy is one of my favorite platformers ever and I highly recommend you check it out. Gameplay is pretty solid, music is great, and the art style is lovely.

Magical Pop'n is another quirky platformer that is pretty enjoyable as well.

DoReMi Fantasy is one of my favorite platformers ever and I highly recommend you check it out. Gameplay is pretty solid, music is great, and the art style is lovely.

Magical Pop'n is another quirky platformer that is pretty enjoyable as well.

Cool thanks! I will definitely check them out. One day I'll maybe even make it to the PS1 gen LOL!

Hello! I want to join in! I love all sorts of retro stuff. I'm into games because my parents were gamers way back when, in arcades, and on Atari 2600 and C64s.

So thinking of stuff that's a bit different, we also own a Dragon 32, which is a old Welsh computer in the same vein as the C64. I wonder if anyone else knows/remembers about it, because Internet info is quite limited compared to other systems. It has a small handful of games that I still love now.
Anyone interested in computer games from that era should check out Phantom Slayer. It's from fucking 1982, and yet it is a first-person 3D maze-style game, which is surprisingly quick to navigate (it doesn't do the thing where you have to wait for it to draw each frame) where phantoms are chasing you. If they're close by you can hear a sort of *creeping* sound, not sure how to describe, and if they catch you it makes a remarkably jumpscare-esque sound (given how old this is). I actually still find it to be quite tense and sometimes still makes me jump, lol.
edit: Yo, I found a circa-late 90's style fansite for this game, here. It has some screens, and it seems you can legally download it to play on XROAR.

I know it isn't exactly 8-bit retro, but recently, I dug out my old Saturn (still works after 17-ish years...) and played Panzer Dragoon Saga from start to finish... again. It's just sublime. Sure, the graphics are a bit jaggy, but the actual style, music, story all holds up. Just such a joy. So sad that Team Andromeda aren't around anymore to give it the successor it deserves.

Khaz

I know it isn't exactly 8-bit retro, but recently, I dug out my old Saturn (still works after 17-ish years...) and played Panzer Dragoon Saga from start to finish... again. It's just sublime. Sure, the graphics are a bit jaggy, but the actual style, music, story all holds up. Just such a joy. So sad that Team Andromeda aren't around anymore to give it the successor it deserves.

Well, you could still play Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. They're all just as good, if not better, than the first game.

[edit] I missed a word :/

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Nothing really comes close to Super Mario World as a pure plattformer, but I would suggest you try out Super Metrod. It is a quite different experience, and just as good. I would also check out Super Castlevania 4 and Contra 3 which is among my favorite games ever - both quite different from Mario/DK-style plattformers though. Oh, and DKC2 is definitely hard - but quite beatable with some patience imo. Did you get the secret world and real last boss?

Nothing really comes close to Super Mario World as a pure plattformer, but I would suggest you try out Super Metrod. It is a quite different experience, and just as good. I would also check out Super Castlevania 4 and Contra 3 which is among my favorite games ever - both quite different from Mario/DK-style plattformers though. Oh, and DKC2 is definitely hard - but quite beatable with some patience imo. Did you get the secret world and real last boss?

Secret World?? No, I just completed the game and thought "thank God that is over" and put it away LOL! I've done Metroid already (that was amazing, all time classic) and I've never been able to make it past even the first level of Contra 3! Even with saves! It's a tough mudda of a game make no mistake.

There is so much good stuff on SNES though, I want to feel like I've 'completed' the important canon of that generation.

Well, you could still play Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. They're all just as good, if not better, than the first game.

[edit] I missed a word :/

It's already done. ;) Had all those games when they came out. Although, I am not very good at the first game and Orta. They're kinda tricky. Managed to get through Zwei. I owned that back then too, and there's this level with a boss which stalks you from underwater. 2spooky4us at the time, lol.

re the platformers, is it blasphemy to mention
Shovel Knight (since it's not actually from that era)
? cos it's really good and pretty faithful to that SNES style...

Teknoman

Secret World?? No, I just completed the game and thought "thank God that is over" and put it away LOL! I've done Metroid already (that was amazing, all time classic) and I've never been able to make it past even the first level of Contra 3! Even with saves! It's a tough mudda of a game make no mistake.

There is so much good stuff on SNES though, I want to feel like I've 'completed' the important canon of that generation.

Please play Super Adventure Island if you havent already. Game isnt that long, but its pretty challenge, looks great, and has one of the best soundtracks of that time.

televator

Hey anybody order any EverDrives from Retrogate in the last week or so? How long does it take to get shipping info? I've checked my spam and haven't seen anything. I'm trying to keep track of packages since it seems one of them (My PS4) got stolen recently.

Khaz

Hey anybody order any EverDrives from Retrogate in the last week or so? How long does it take to get shipping info? I've checked my spam and haven't seen anything. I'm trying to keep track of packages since it seems one of them (My PS4) got stolen recently.

I ordered a Mega Everdrive a few months ago. I got an Order Confirmation Notice instantly upon payment and an Order Shipping Notice with a tracking number three working days after (bought thursday, sent tuesday.) It was sent by binaritydyne at gmail.

Huggers

In the last few weeks I've beaten Castlevania, Castlevania 3, Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania. Going to give Simons Quest another crack after hating it as a kid. But yeah, I'm after lesser known Snes, Nes and Mega Drive platformers of similar difficulty. All suggestions welcome

Mzo

Awesome job! Those are some great games. Which one did you like the most, by the way?

My favorite Castlevania-like is Legendary Axe, but that's on the TG16... Astyanax on the NES is similar (but not as good). Still worth a look!

Hmm, would these be categorized as 2D action platformers? Games like NES Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Batman, Shatterhand, Vice: Project Doom, and Power Blade?

Huggers

Awesome job! Those are some great games. Which one did you like the most, by the way?

My favorite Castlevania-like is Legendary Axe, but that's on the TG16... Astyanax on the NES is similar (but not as good). Still worth a look!

Hmm, would these be categorized as 2D action platformers? Games like NES Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Batman, Shatterhand, Vice: Project Doom, and Power Blade?

Thanks dude! Absolutely stunning games for sure. The music is unbeatable and the difficulty pitched just right (although CV 3 was HARD). I really struggled with most of those games back in the day although I was pretty young. I'll check out on Youtube some of those suggestions, I meed more stuff to playWonder whether that TB16 game is available on the Wii VC. Which reminds me, Bonks Adventure, yay or nay?

Top Bottom