• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone try the PS4 on a Dell Ultrasharp?

grkazan12

So I recently bought an HDMI to Displayport adapter for my Dell monitor, but there seems to be signal on the monitor? It finds something for about a second and then nothing.

I've tried the safe boot option that lets you reset resolution, but there is still no signal.

Anyone have any recommendations or solutions?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You probably bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter. Converters are $100+.

Your monitor likely has a DVI input, use that. Adapters for HDMI to DVI are ~$3.

eroots

I use the hdmi input on mine.. works fine.. probably a different model though.. You might need to safe boot the ps4 and change the video output...that might do the trick.. or the connector could be bad, might want to test it with something else and see if that works too..

So I recently bought an HDMI to Displayport adapter for my Dell monitor, but there seems to be signal on the monitor? It finds something for about a second and then nothing.

I've tried the safe boot option that lets you reset resolution, but there is still no signal.

1º why are you trying to use the console through the displayport? Your monitor should have an HDMI.

2º You probably bought a passive adapter, you need an active one or a separate converter to be able to use it.

Dinjooh

I'm using a HDMI-DVI for my UltraSharp, works fine.

That said, it stretches it to 16:10 so fine is probably a bad word to use.

Haven't tried using DisplayPort i'm afraid.

grkazan12

I bought this specific adapter

My monitor doesn't have an HDMI port, only VGA, DVI, and Displayport. They really do skimp on lower end ultrasharps.

I guess I'm screwed. Should I have gotten a DVI to HDMI adapter?

edit: So I just saw that this adapter has an active HDMI female to male Displayport adapter, do you guys think that this will work? Also, can someone explain to me why Displayport needs to be active for it to work? Really curious about it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

My monitor doesn't have an HDMI port, only VGA, DVI, and Displayport. They really do skimp on lower end ultrasharps.

Isn't this adapter the reverse of what you wanted?

Also you can buy an HDMI to dvi cable. That works fine. Monoprice has them and so does amazon.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DisplayPort an HDMI are compatible going for an adapter though, aren't they? I know it works with DVI to HDMI and DVI to display port, so why not HDMI to DisplayPort

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030...-which-display-interface-reigns-supreme-.html

So you got a DP to HDMI, just as expected.

Buy this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Eios

Yeah, get the dvi adapter. I remember reading that you can't convert an hdmi signal source to a display port output, but you could do vice versa. I am using an ultrasharp with the dvi adapter.

grkazan12

Alright guess I'll just go with a DVI to HDMI adapter, anyone know why displayport doesn't output to HDMI? Just curious.

grkazan12

Quick question: I guess it's just preference, but should I go with a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable?

Thanks for all the responses as well, you guys have been a huge help.

Eiolon

I just connected my PS4 to a non-HDMI Dell UltraSharp via DVI to HDMI adapter that I got off Monoprice for like a dollar.

apXbHqR.jpg

H8SoKpu.jpg

H915pbO.jpg

Iolo

Alright guess I'll just go with a DVI to HDMI adapter, anyone know why displayport doesn't output to HDMI? Just curious.

Displayport does output to HDMI. You were trying to run your adapter backwards, i.e. HDMI outputting to Displayport.

whitehawk

Banned

edit: So I just saw that this adapter has an active HDMI female to male Displayport adapter, do you guys think that this will work? Also, can someone explain to me why Displayport needs to be active for it to work? Really curious about it.
You can get an HDMI > DVI cable. Also while not commonly known, DVI can carry an audio signal. Depends on the type of DVI cable though. Don't know the specifics. When I bought one to hook my 360 up to my monitor, I was surprised when audio came through as well.

help,

I have a dell monitor ( U2412M), brought a (DVI to HDMI) and connected my PS3 just fine.

Just got a PS4, connected the same way but NOTHING on screen.

why?

Top Bottom