• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Ladies: The Movie - Merchant's mortifying cringe comedy closes next Sat on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Created by and starring Stephen Merchant, 'Hello Ladies' follows Stuart - a socially inept LA-based web designer who is desperate to find his soul mate (or even just a hook up). The first season began airing in late September 2013, but was cancelled due to middling ratings and a mediocre critical reception. But despite said mediocre critical reception, the first season was well received on GAF and has since gained a cult following.

'Hello Ladies' will conclude with a feature length film next Saturday, November 22 at 10/9c on HBO.

When Stuart learns that his British ex-girlfriend is planning to visit Los Angeles with her husband, he sets out to impress them with his glamorous lifestyle, enlisting a Russian model he’s just met to play the role of his beautiful girlfriend. What could go wrong?

Cast

• Stephen Merchant as Stuart Pritchard
  • Christine Woods as Jessica
  • Nate Torrence as Wade
  • Kevin Weisman as Kives
  • Stephanie Corneliussen as Tatiana Ludnova

Videos

h0FwzDZ.jpg

Wasn't overly fussed on this, enjoyed his stand up. I'll watch the film though; he gained enough interest from me to want another series at least.

Empty

not expecting office or extras christmas specials level of quality but will watch. hope it ties up the character well.

Empty

Well he doesn't sound that socially inept to me...

a lot of his awkwardness comes from being obsessed about dating a certain kind of incredibly attractive l.a girl to match his house and car, to the exclusion of everything else. i can imagine him being less so as a younger man when anything goes in a less glamorous setting.

xbhaskarx

I thought the series wrapped up rather nicely at the end of the first season, yet we still get this but no Deadwood movie?

Loved the show. I was so disappointed when it was canceled. Awesome that we're getting closure. Will definitely be watching this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Hello Ladies Movie premieres tonight!

Hello Ladies: The Movie

Stuart plans to impress his British ex-girlfriend, who's visiting Los Angeles with her husband, by convincing a Russian model to pose as his love interest.

I'm both surprised and happy to find out that there is a movie. I feel like I was one of the handful of people that actually liked the show, thought it was funny, and wanted to see a second season. I described it to a guy at work back when it originally aired and was recommending it when he replied "Oh, is that the show with that british fag?" So yeah...

Anyway, looking forward to the movie and did anyone else find themselves crushing hard on Christine Woods while watching Season 1?

hello-ladies-jessica.jpg

Empty

predictably hit on all the things i was expecting them to do to conclude the show, but without many laughs or much verve in the character development and emotional payoffs. just kinda okay.

Empty

I really only care about the laughs...kind of disappointing in that regard?

ymmv with the jokes in there, obviously, and it's not like totally devoid of comedy or anything, but i think the movie emphasizes the dramatic story arc stuff compared to the series where it was more a loosely connected series of uncomfortably funny set pieces.

markot

Banned
Series was bad and you should fell bad.

I think gerv and the smerch have lost it.

Quality of output has constantly declined since the office.

Klocker

i thought it was great, funny, poignant and really hit on an evolution of a shallow existence to one of fulfillment all while maintaining the characters, being pretty funny and with some cringe.

Merchant outdid himself on this imo.

Watched the season over the last week and the movie last night. Nice little series, the Stuart-Jessica relationship was very good, both as friends and I found myself rooting for them as a couple.

The series of this was hilariously funny and cringe, but this movie just didn't deliver the laughs in my opinion. The show deserves better.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought it was a decent farewell. I wish it wasn't so neatly wrapped up, but I guess that's exactly why this movie was made, since the series ended on a sad note.

I didn't like how he made Jessica move out just because he suddenly realized that he liked her. That made it feel really manipulative and something that she could sue him as part of sexual harassment. She gets evicted because she doesn't want to have a relationship with him.

Finally got around to watching the movie today, it was a nice ending to the show even though it was a bit light on the laughs.

Finally got around to seeing this...

Touching ending. I'm happy with it. Was afraid it was going to end on such a sour note like the series, but I assume this was the endgame with the series being so short-lived.

I agree with the shortage of laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom