• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Harney & Sons is doing another Free Shipping deal for all orders through the 30th. It's been a while since I've ordered anything from them, maybe I'll use this excuse to order a few bags.

Collete

I'm thinking of upgrading to an electric kettle at long last. Started to get sick of using a pot to boil water and transferring to a tea pot.
Anyone have any recommendations on what I should get?

Collete

Hm, I think I got an idea with suggestions, thanks guys!

Also a little bit of a newcomer question, do you steep the tea in the electric kettle? Is there like a filter to put your tea in, or do you still have to steep it in a separate tea pot?

ameratsu

Also a little bit of a newcomer question, do you steep the tea in the electric kettle? Is there like a filter to put your tea in, or do you still have to steep it in a separate tea pot?

I guess you technically could steep tea inside your kettle; I would strongly suggest against that though and instead pour the heated water into a tea pot/brewing vessel depending on what kind of tea you're making.

I would steep it in a separate pot. It's easier cleaning out a teapot than an electric kettle. Also, you don't want the tea to stain your kettle and make it taste like tea forever.

HiResDes

It will burn leaving you with bitter, stringent tea.

krpiper

So I like iced tea a lot (Im partial to sweet tea, but I like fruit flavored ones, or the green tea in bottles, heathen I know)

How do I make the jump to hot tea? Green tea? Black Tea? I think I will start with some fruity tea, is it acceptable to put honey/sugar into that?

I had some tea bags but wasnt a huge fan, not very strong of a taste, would loose leaf tea be better?

Also I would prefer both decaf (for after work) and regular caffeinated tea (for before!)

Thanks for helping a newb!

Vhalyar

I'm at home with a throat infection and I'm deeply thankful for having some ginger & honey on hand to turn into tea. So good.

This made me remember that over the years I've tried tea many times (various greens and blacks, always bought loose & fresh) mainly motivated by my love of Moroccan green tea, but it's always tasted flat. I'm a black coffee person though, so I'm not surprised that I either want a strong taste or too much sweetener to enjoy my drink.

So knowing that, what are some options I might want to give a try?

XenoRaven

My mom got me a kettle, a French press, and a bunch of loose leaf blends for Christmas. I tried them and the tea blows tea bags and Keurigs out of the water. I'm impressed.

Piecake

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tea tumbler/infuser? I am kinda sick of wasting so many styrofoam cups at work

I am looking for good value. While it still should be good, the cheaper the price the better.

ameratsu

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tea tumbler/infuser? I am kinda sick of wasting so many styrofoam cups at work

I am looking for good value. While it still should be good, the cheaper the price the better.

As far as cheap goes, I'd look at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNWKPIQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It will most likely work with a mug you already have, making it a pretty cheap way to properly brew tea at work.

I personally have one these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XUD496/?tag=neogaf0e-20, and while it isn't cheap, it's perfect for work and is super easy to clean.

Laekon

I had something like this and it's pretty good. The only issue is that with no holes on the bottom it can be tough to clean out. Like Ameratsu said the insert works with any cup.

Does anyone have a good method for making ice tea with loose leaf teas? I have a small french press(2 US size cups of coffee) and a glass pitcher of unknown size. The press is to small to make a 1 to 1 amount for the pitcher so I'm not sure how to figure out a ratio to make it work. I don't drink it over ice. This is one of the teas I have that would be good as a ice tea. http://www.adagio.com/white/white_grapefruit.html

nilbog21

Banned
random question, but does anyone else get crazy headache after you drink too much chai ? i bought some chai tea keurig cups and i've been getting crazy headaches lately.. only thing I have changed in my daily habbits so its only explanation I can come up with ..

kamakazi5

I was just wondering if we had a tea thread here and it pops up. Subscribed.

I've recently started getting into tea and watched a few ChinaLife videos on YouTube. They have a quite different brewing guide than what I've seen before (typically much shorter brewing times for western brews). What is the general consensus on brewing times? The one in the OP sounds more or less what I would expect.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
random question, but does anyone else get crazy headache after you drink too much chai ? i bought some chai tea keurig cups and i've been getting crazy headaches lately.. only thing I have changed in my daily habbits so its only explanation I can come up with ..

Were you a coffee drinker before? Your chai has significantly less caffeine than the average coffee and you'd be surprised how little it takes to create pretty bad headaches.

I was just wondering if we had a tea thread here and it pops up. Subscribed.

I've recently started getting into tea and watched a few ChinaLife videos on YouTube. They have a quite different brewing guide than what I've seen before (typically much shorter brewing times for western brews). What is the general consensus on brewing times? The one in the OP sounds more or less what I would expect.

The chart in the OP is good for the vast majority of teas you'll encounter in your day to day life, but it is geared more towards the average consumer than the sophisticated tea drinkers we have here.

An entire OP could be done about green tea alone, really. But, to speak to your point, what was probably in those videos, and what exists as probably the major difference between Eastern and Western brew times, comes down to the freshness of the tea. Fresh green tea can have brew times as low as 20 seconds (with multiple brews assumed and gaining in brew length with each additional brewing). What is available in the west through traditional tea companies is not as fresh and generally requires longer brews. Having said that, the green tea section of the brew chart in the OP has one of the greatest ranges for a reason, and green tea is practically why I added the disclaimer that you should always try your packaging's instructions before using the chart.

We have people who are way more well versed on green tea (and especially fresh green tea) than me in here, so hopefully one of them can stop in and provide more information.

Rootbeer

Banned
There are MANY Boba Tea shops around me here on campus. I realize that they use powdered milk unless you buy the fresh milk options, and the quality of the tea used is probably dubiious, not to mention they charge A LOT for some of these drinks ($3 or $4, so in Starbucks territory... for TEA, not coffee, TEA)

Buuut... I still find myself enjoying them from time to time. I usually opt not to get the Boba balls because I don't enjoy eating them, and I'd rather that space in the cup go towards having more tea!

They do have some interesting flavors though. I just had a hot Hokkaido Milk Tea (Caramel Toffee) and it was pretty wonderful. I could make out all of the flavors, including the tea which is great because I was afraid the other flavors would completely drown it out and I'd barely be able to tell it was actually tea.

Anyone have some boba tea recomendations?

xezuru

I've been wanting to get into tea to substitute for other drinks to get that tiny addition to becoming a bit more healthy.
Sorry newcomer to this thread and don't know if OT is updated.
Are those kettles still the go to, or are there new go to models?
Been trying to research plastic-less but been kind of a grind.

Also, although it hasn't happened yet personally, my family has a history in kidney stones.
Don't know how much research is founded but I heard Green Tea helps, though I would enjoy recommendations on simply anything that doesn't ignite the problem.

I've been wanting to get into tea to substitute for other drinks to get that tiny addition to becoming a bit more healthy.
Sorry newcomer to this thread and don't know if OT is updated.
Are those kettles still the go to, or are there new go to models?
Been trying to research plastic-less but been kind of a grind.

Also, although it hasn't happened yet personally, my family has a history in kidney stones.
Don't know how much research is founded but I heard Green Tea helps, though I would enjoy recommendations on simply anything that doesn't ignite the problem.

Those kettles are still good, I've been using the Utilitea for over a year now and I really like it.

soultron

Banned
Finally tried guayusa tea (DavidsTea) and it is both crazy tasty and provides a huge stimulant boost. The taste is a sweet, light, grassy flavour. It was nice to get a big energy boost without the shakes I sometimes get from drinking coffee or certain oolong teas.

Really recommend it for anyone looking for a new tea they can drink at work.

Zzoram

Anyone have a Grosche Madrid French press to use for loose leaf tea? I'm curious about trying a French press for tea and this one looks interesting. It's available on Amazon.

Laekon

Anyone have a Grosche Madrid French press to use for loose leaf tea? I'm curious about trying a French press for tea and this one looks interesting. It's available on Amazon.

I don't know anything about that brand but most french presses are the same to me. I use one and it's easy. Some times it can be a pain to clean.

Late post, but here's a pic of my Christmas haul this year:

LBhcAoy.png

The Chun Mee is a great green tea for those of you who enjoy the "basic" green tea flavor. It's mild and very smooth. I'll post my impressions of the other two teas once I try them.

morningbus

I just want to know more about those dirty mugs.
My damn tea infusers suck ass. I have one tea ball and 1 Doctor Who TARDIS (got as a gift) but both of them leave a lot of tea bits in the cup. I want to drink the whole cup without worrying about the dregs. I don't own a french press. Has anyone used disposable paper tea bags? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BLCIN4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used both a fold-over style and the type you seal yourself with heat and they do work.

Is there a reason for not wanting a french press? It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run.

I've used both a fold-over style and the type you seal yourself with heat and they do work.

Is there a reason for not wanting a french press? It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run.

you're right, I should look into a french press considering I'm exploring coffee as well. too bad this wasn't last month, would have been a fine Xmas gift recommendation

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My housemate got this little rocket shaped infuser with some tester loose tea for xmas off his girlfriend, he used to be like me, Yorkshire Tea or bust, but he says it's been so much better this way.

I'm thinking of picking up an infuser and some loose earl grey from the nice tea shop after work and giving it a go. Are those one-mug infusers fine? Say like the wee metal balls or other similar items, e.g:
http://www.whittard.co.uk/equipment...fusers-strainers/teapot-mesh-ball-infuser.htm
or
http://www.whittard.co.uk/equipment/tea-equipment/tea-infusers-strainers/long-handled-infuser.htm

I'll be mostly using it at work.

My damn tea infusers suck ass. I have one tea ball and 1 Doctor Who TARDIS (got as a gift) but both of them leave a lot of tea bits in the cup. I want to drink the whole cup without worrying about the dregs. I don't own a french press. Has anyone used disposable paper tea bags? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BLCIN4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use this infuser:

FORLIFE Brew-in-Mug Extra-Fine Tea Infuser with Lid

With the finer teas you'll still have some residue in your cup, but it's a great infuser. I think it was recommended by someone in this thread actually.

But yeah, a french press is your best bet. I used to have one but my mom shattered it by accident. :(

I took that pic in my office lol, that's where we put our used mugs so we can take them home to wash.

LBhcAoy.png

The Chun Mee is a great green tea for those of you who enjoy the "basic" green tea flavor. It's mild and very smooth. I'll post my impressions of the other two teas once I try them.

Here's my impressions of the other teas.

Lemony Gunpowder: Has a very strong lemony taste and smell. I was expecting something much more subtle. I hate how it smells; I opened the tin and took a whiff, and it seriously smells like lemon drop candy mixed with dirt. After steeping it fills the whole room with this nauseating candy lemon smell. The candy lemon smell invades my nostrils and overpowers any semblance of green tea that might be present. The same thing happens with the taste. It's like a weird lemony sweetness + bitterness with a tinge of sourness. I only managed to choke down a few sips before tossing it out. I tried again today and this time I even steeped it for 1 min, threw out the first cup, and then steeped it for 3 mins so that it would be a little more mild (it also apparently gets rid of a lot of the caffeine, which sucks). Even after doing that I could barely drink it, so as a last resort I added a shit-ton of honey and that made it tolerable. So in order to drink this tea I have to sacrifice ~80% of the caffeine and then mask the sickening lemony flavor with honey. Thumbs down. Very disappointing for such a highly-reviewed H&S tea.

Citron Green: I'll make this one shorter — while not nearly as offensive to the tastebuds or nostrils as the Lemony Gunpowder, I'm still not a big fan. The taste is just... weird. I think I can now safely say that I'm not a fan of citrus + green tea. The combination doesn't compliment the green tea, it corrupts it and adds a weird aftertaste. However, I'm at least able to drink this tea without having to throw out the first steep or smother it with honey, so that's something. Thumbs down. I'll be sticking to the basics (like Chun Mee) from now on.

is there anything I can do to a regular cup of tea to make it special. I just started drinking tea again but I feel just tea and sugar is missing something.

jwk94

is there anything I can do to a regular cup of tea to make it special. I just started drinking tea again but I feel just tea and sugar is missing something.

I usually go for Teavana Youthberry with some of their tea. It's the only tea I'll drink now. However, I used to drink this orange tea, brew it until it was black and put some honey to make it sweet.

morningbus

How would I make an ice team with one of those portable tea tumbler things?

Double the amount of tea you use (or half the amount of water).

Honey is my choice, too. Try to find some that is single origin (as in, not a blend of honey from US, Mexico, and Canada). Honey is a whole 'nother connoisseur rabbit hole we could fall down into, so we'll leave it at that for now.

Also consider agave nectar or even flavored coffee syrups.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Anyone got any suggestions for some good white tea blends - with international shipping? (I'm in Australia)

My fav blends here in Aus are:

Cherry White (T2): White Tea, Hibiscus, Sour Cherry, Cranberry pieces, Flavour, Red Cornflower (been discontinued, sad face)

Pai Mu Tan Stockholm Blend (Tea Centre): White tea, orange blossoms, rose petals, safflowers, calendula blossoms, vanilla & apricot.

Keen to see what else is out there.

I'm looking for something sweet and not bitter.

The Tazo Chai Chocolate Caramel isn't good. :/

As a general rule for your tastes, use more tea and steep for less time.

As for finding sweet teas, check out Adagio. They've got a lot of really nice teas that aren't bitter, and their sampler packs will be a good way to find what you like. If there's a physical store anywhere near you, try that out. Your nose will know(s).

Azulsky

How have I never seen this thread before.

Been doing Black Tea binge recently. Finished off Mighty Leaf Organic Breakfast, and just got a pound of Irish Breakfast from nmteaco.com

Also have some Golden Monkey that is quite tasty.

As a general rule for your tastes, use more tea and steep for less time.

As for finding sweet teas, check out Adagio. They've got a lot of really nice teas that aren't bitter, and their sampler packs will be a good way to find what you like. If there's a physical store anywhere near you, try that out. Your nose will know(s).

So far, the only hot tea I like is

Jasmine Tea

Is there other tea I should be trying or where can I get good Jasmine Tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom