• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talking about 8 players originally planned for Melee & Duck Hunt's Inclusion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
One of the topics Famitsu brings up is the inclusion of Duck Hunt. “The original Duck Hunt is a quite major game,” Sakurai said. He notes that the title could be the best-selling shooter game in the world since it was included with the NES in America.

Sakurai continues by mentioning that reviving the setting and fun of the original game is one reason to bring Duck Hunt to the Smash Bros. roster. However, he explains that “it is very important how different characters make the game interesting with their individuality.” According to Sakurai, Duck Hunt is something that hasn’t been seen before as there is a third person who aids the player when attacking, mimicking the gun shooting mechanic of the original game.

Other interesting comments came about when Sakurai spoke about 8-Player Smash. Surprisingly, he states that including simultaneous 8-player gameplay was declared in a project plan document for Super Smash Bros. Melee.

“It was a thing I considered when thinking about the follow-up for the first Smash,” Sakurai noted. Sadly, “it was more than impossible” based on technical performance. This time around, it was “achieved just barely. In 8-Player Smash, the stage selection is limited, stage gimmics are changed [no bosses for example] and so on.”

Finally, Sakurai briefly touches on plans for the future in Famitsu’s interview as well. “For now, only the distribution of Mewtwo is decided. Other than that is undecided.” Sakurai adds that production of Mewtwo has just started.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ayer-smash-originally-planned-for-melee-more/

Guess Who

Banned
Other interesting comments came about when Sakurai spoke about 8-Player Smash. Surprisingly, he states that including simultaneous 8-player gameplay was declared in a project plan document for Super Smash Bros. Melee.

“It was a thing I considered when thinking about the follow-up for the first Smash,” Sakurai noted. Sadly, “it was more than impossible” based on technical performance. This time around, it was “achieved just barely. In 8-Player Smash, the stage selection is limited, stage gimmics are changed [no bosses for example] and so on.”

The debug mode in Melee let you have up to 6 players in a match, didn't it?

Neoxon

So basically they're still thinking about more characters after Mewtwo, who apparently just started.

I hope they continue, even though I'm pretty sure they will.

Ryce

Finally, Sakurai briefly touches on plans for the future in Famitsu’s interview as well. “For now, only the distribution of Mewtwo is decided. Other than that is undecided.” Sakurai adds that production of Mewtwo has just started.
I really wish Sakurai would commit to DLC. It's easy money for Nintendo, and it's helped breathe new life into Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. Smash Bros. is begging for DLC more than any other IP I can think of.

Murrah

Banned
I'm down with more playable character dlc obviously, but I would be way more excited for some stage packs. Like, I'd gladly pay 20 bucks just for all the good 64 and Melee stages that haven't been included. Hell, at this point I'd pay that much just for Dream Land 64 and Fountain of Dreams. Smash 4 is so much fun to play, but the stage selection is just bad (though at least Wii U has a few more stages than 3DS that are decent). Pls samurai

BBboy20

I really wish Sakurai would commit to DLC. It's easy money for Nintendo, and it's helped breathe new life into Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. Smash Bros. is begging for DLC more than any other IP I can think of.
How long is Smash going to be supported? There not going to be another one until the next system and does Sakurai want to make a different game?

Jagsrock

Banned

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of commitment to more content behind closed doors but he's just not ready to say anything right now publicly since they haven't even started anything beyond mewtwo. i'll be surprised honestly if more smash dlc isn't announced at e3. I'm guessing the first pack would probably be just stages/costumes though.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Bring Snake back, or just confirm his death so I can die in peace

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im more than OK with the amount of chars we got.

A comprehensive retro stage pack would be great though

I love the concept of 8 player Smash, but it doesn't work in execution. Too frantic. It is great for random party fun, though. Just not something my friends and I like to do regularly.

Personally, I'd like some sort of tag team mechanic with 8 players. Like, only 4 players playing at once (or less), and then switch out whenever like the usual fighting game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My favorite part about Duck Hunt is the moment when I realized that it wasn't Duck Hunt Dog, it was just Duck Hunt

In its entirety.

You just are the game Duck Hunt

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I love the concept of 8 player Smash, but it doesn't work in execution. Too frantic. It is great for random party fun, though. Just not something my friends and I like to do regularly.

Personally, I'd like some sort of tag team mechanic with 8 players. Like, only 4 players playing at once (or less), and then switch out whenever like the usual fighting game.

8 Player Rosalina Battle is the most fun mode that you'll only ever play once

I'm surprised that Spainkiller or whatever guy came out unscathed from this, as it's pretty obvious from the last few tidbits of information that there's no way Mewtwo, let alone Dixie, Chorus Men, or Ridley (lol), were in a remotely playable state at the time, or even right now.

I want to see high-level 4 vs. 4 smash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbJj2kPF28

BedBison

Neo Member
It would be cool if we got a 'Brawl Pack" which just includes Lucas, Ice climbers, Wolf, and Snake. I guess maybe Ivysaur and Squirtle too, but they just seem.... unnecessary.

I think they should also do the same thing with stages. Have a 64 pack, Melee pack, and Brawl pack. They should probably split the Melee and Brawl pack into two packs.

eUdvkM6.gif

Really? 8 player is only "barely" possible even now? That's a bit surprising to me. I wish they would allow 8 player smash for custom stages. Looks like its definitely not going to happen if they only got it accomplished by the skin of their teeth though. Guess they had to leave something interesting for Smash 5. At least they could lower the amount of stuff you're allowed to put in an 8 player custom level if overloading the CPU was a concern.

Ridley327

Really? 8 player is only "barely" possible even now? That's a bit surprising to me. I wish they would allow 8 player smash for custom stages. Looks like its definitely not going to happen if they only got it accomplished by the skin of their teeth though. Guess they had to leave something interesting for Smash 5. At least they could lower the amount of stuff you're allowed to put in an 8 player custom level if overloading the CPU was a concern.

I imagine with 60 fps being virtually mandatory for the game that "barely" possible would be truthful. I'm still amazed it runs that well with how crazy it gets.

I imagine with 60 fps being virtually mandatory for the game that "barely" possible would be truthful. I'm still amazed it runs that well with how crazy it gets.
I think that the main thing that makes it hard is the animation. The animation in Smash 4 is way better than the animation in Brawl and Melee. That has to eat up alot of CPU and/or RAM depending on how it's being done. I'm pretty sure if they left the animation unchanged from Brawl, it would be able to run 8 player smash as though it were a normal mode in the game. But then we would have surely complained about the animation being "last gen" lol.

Jachaos

4x Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams in Melee and the game had very noticeable framerate drops. I'm sure 8 player Melee would've indeed been rough.

Also, 480p resolution and no widescreen... yeah I can see why 8-players didn't make it.

Sakurai needs a break though, mans been hurting for a long time now. The fact that he still has to work on Mewtwo is just delaying any time off he could have recovering. If they do commit to DLC I hope Sakurai can appoint someone to oversee his position while takes some time off.

Hindl

Sakurai needs a break though, mans been hurting for a long time now. The fact that he still has to work on Mewtwo is just delaying any time off he could have recovering. If they do commit to DLC I hope Sakurai can appoint someone to oversee his position while takes some time off.

Yeah my feeling exactly. I'd hope that once mewtwo ships if they want to announce new DLC at e3 just give him the entire time off between mewtwo release and e3 before he has to go back to work

Azuran

Banned
With 8-player barely running, that means the Ice Climbers were DOA in this iteration of the series, 3DS or not.

javadoze

I honestly wouldn't even care if the next DLC was just past stages being brought back (seeing how he talks about the difficulties of creating or refining characters).

I just want my Fountain of Dreams back.

Production of a SINGLE character for a fighting game has JUST started, huh?

......we're getting more DLC pretty much, right?

Gleethor

With 8-player barely running, that means the Ice Climbers were DOA in this iteration of the series, 3DS or not.

mmm, I think its more likely that 3DS killed ICs and that removed the greatest obstacle for 8 players on Wii U, so they went for it.

My favorite part about Duck Hunt is the moment when I realized that it wasn't Duck Hunt Dog, it was just Duck Hunt

In its entirety.

You just are the game Duck Hunt
Yes, and the smash attacks are actually you trying to shoot the dog and failing every time, because we all wanted to shoot that daggone dog.

Top Bottom