• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

zroid

Banned
All I have left now are Mummy-Me Maze Forever and the time trials for the Toad Brigade stages. Not sure how much time I've put in but it feels like a lot. Probably more than 20 hours.

Yuterald

As Yuterald said above, this is a nice, digestible game. It's very fun and pleasant but the completion of levels straddles a strange line between the uber-satisfying brain catharsis of beating a Pushmo and the pure unadultered jouissance of playing a full 3DW level like Blue Bully Belt or Sprawling Savanna. It's funny because it's a sweet game and I do like it, but for some reason it feels kind of halfway between both kinds of games above and when I try to appreciate it on its own merits I can't help but find that although I like it, I don't love it.

Anyway, it's a very sweet and solid game. I did make it further this morning and I found the
second battle against Dragadoon and ensuing Dragadoon-riding sequence pretty fun,
although
the battle itself was a bit tricky to play on the GamePad since there are a lot of touchscreen and blow segments in that level.
Still, it was a fun level. I enjoyed going back and collecting the various gems to unlock that level and revisiting earlier levels helped me appreciate the level design more.

One note on the OST, as I mentioned previously, this isn't repetitive to the point of Pushmo World (which I don't mind because those few songs are catchy and delightful), but it doesn't stand out like 3DW either.

As Yuterald mentioned, this is a game which could really do some cool things in a sequel. (I still think it might lend itself better to a 3DS experience, though.)

Yeah, I think there's a good framework here for a more realized, fleshed out title. It feels complimentary to Super Mario 3D World as opposed to having its own, unique identity. There's a lot of recycled 3D World elements and ideas sitting around in this game. I had a vision for this game the other day where the stages would be much larger and way more complex, but I'm guessing that's not what Nintendo or Tokyo EAD had in mind for this game. It's definitely one of those quick, pick-up a play types of games, but the fact that it's more a collection of levels than an actual adventure in a grounded world (sort of my same critique of 3D World) kind of puts me in this space where I can only appreciate/think so much of the game. It was enjoyable for what what it was and there's nothing really technically wrong with it (game is super polished and tight), but it's nothing I'd flip out about at the end of the day.

zroid

Banned
I breezed through the first few floors of Mummy-Me Maze Forever thinking "this isn't so hard"

then they rolled out the Magikoopas and Chargin' Chucks and I was like "welp"

edit: I made it to 3500 coins on my second try... third time's the charm? I'll try again later.

Roo

I'll save this game for Christmas :)
Can't wait to play it tho. I've been tempted to open it and play just a few levels then leave it sitting under the tree again lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I breezed through the first few floors of Mummy-Me Maze Forever thinking "this isn't so hard"

then they rolled out the Magikoopas and Chargin' Chucks and I was like "welp"

edit: I made it to 3500 coins on my second try... third time's the charm? I'll try again later.
You need to clear 50 floors. The coin goal is almost impossible to miss as long as you're not purposely avoiding them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well thanks to the UK release getting brought forward and the Christmas post not being massively hectic I can finally get tucked into Captain Toad. Only had the chance to have a quick play around but managed to do the first 5 levels and I'm already pleased as punch.

Same, but I finished it really quickly - even getting the individual requirements per level. Maybe a couple of hours?

Wait, what's this? Oooh

And what's this? Oooooh.

;)

JonnyKong

I can't find two bloody coins on level 11, Piranha Creeper Cove. I've looked everywhere, but I always end up finishing the level with 68 instead of 70 Arghhhh.

All I have left now are Mummy-Me Maze Forever and the time trials for the Toad Brigade stages. Not sure how much time I've put in but it feels like a lot. Probably more than 20 hours.

To think some aren't getting it because they think it's 2-3 hours long.

TheMoon

Any word on amiibo support?

Still the same answer as on the last page: no.

->
Question. Does anyone know what Amiibo do yet?

How would they when details have not been announced.

Question. Does anyone know what Amiibo do yet?

Nope no clue yet. It's a shame. Unless they release some DLC I think most of us will be long done with the game by whenever it's added in.

samn

I try and pay £1 per decent hour of entertainment... so it needs to get to the £20 mark (from 30) for me. Its replay value suffers due to it being a puzzle game without any multiplayer.

It's so damn cute I might break before then however....

jholmes

yeap definitely need to come back to MMMF tomorrow. I'm doing worse and worse every time :lol

Here's one really basic but vital piece of advice: are you turning the headlamp off? It makes it much easier to get past goombas and especially shy guys.

zroid

Banned
Here's one really basic but vital piece of advice: are you turning the headlamp off? It makes it much easier to get past goombas and especially shy guys.
good call I'll do that next time. although what's really troubling me right now are the fire breathing piranhas. I keep running into them because they aren't placed in the middle of the path lol.

maxcriden

I didn't even know you can turn the headlamp off. Which button is that? (Or is it only in that level?)

JonnyKong

I really can't guess what amiibos could do in this game, maybe provide costumes? I can't imagine it being extra levels, although that would be nice.

maxcriden

I really can't guess what amiibos could do in this game, maybe provide costumes? I can't imagine it being extra levels, although that would be nice.

Not to be a broken record, but extra levels being locked behind physical stuff you have to buy is the last thing I want so I'm hoping if anything like that happens you'll be able to buy such content as digital DLC.

I didn't even know you can turn the headlamp off. Which button is that? (Or is it only in that level?)

'Y', I think. In every level. (It also really helps for the 'sneak past shy guys' levels).

I really hope this becomes a series. There's SO much that it could be done that I wouldn't even mind if it was annual if it kept around the 30~40 price point. I'm just a tad disappointed there are only ladders to climb. Since they had the plucking, I think it'd be really cool to climb around sprawling vines and use that to go around bigger parts of the stages. (And the fact that the post-game content isn't really anything special).

Penguin

I still don't think anything special.

Think it will just allow you to manually unlock those "More Coins" stages that randomly pop up from time to time

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My only negatives so far:

- the view seems a bit too far out at times, and the zoom is too close in (but beautiful to look at). Would have liked a variable zoom eg on the shoulder buttons.

- forced use of the gamepad. For spinning I got used to doing that blind now while still watching the TV screen, but surely they could have let you use the right stick for that? Less annoying but I'd also like to not need to blow (is there a shortcut button?)

- super mario levels. I like the idea a lot, but they are so reliant on touch that you are almost forced to play on the game pad. Yes, you can sort of do it without looking by watching the faint cursor on screen, but it isn't as easy. And for a game that looks this good, I really want to okay it on the TV - the gamepad seems so washed out in comparison.

- can't turn off gyro controls for camera. Is more of a niggle really, but I never use the gyro to move the camera (I get that you want to shoehorn it into everything Nintendo, but get over it), so let me turn it off.

ah_hia

Will this also include download codes? I'm presuming not since nintendo will probably won't allow you to download it before release.

I bought the download code. Not available yet for release. Chalk another win for physical releases :p

jholmes

Y, and it's every level, although a lot of them it doesn't matter.

good call I'll do that next time. although what's really troubling me right now are the fire breathing piranhas. I keep running into them because they aren't placed in the middle of the path lol.

The fire piranhas are really hard. My only real strategy for them was to sort of zig-zag toward them until they shot fire at me, then zip past to the left or right of the fireball. This is tough because you have to be sort of mid-range when the fire the fireball to sneak past them, and also the sort of zig-zag snaking without retracing your footsteps takes a lot of getting used to.

Vena

Captain Toad sold my cousin-in-law on the WiiU lol.

I brought the console home for the holidays, and we sat down to play on a fresh run and played till late in the night. Next morning, he was working through Book 3 with a huge grin on his face. The game is just joy to be had, and we've been hunting down all the little spots where Toad/Toadette have a special animation.

Then we mixed it up and played ZombiU with my little cousin, his wife (my other cousin), aunt and uncle. Everyone was whimpering and panicking.

Surfheart

Do you think that in light of the early EU retail release that Nintendo will release the Toad early on the eshop?

I need this game in my life!

Couple nights ago, while taking the longest dump of my life,I finally finished the Mummy-Me Forever challenge.

50 floors... good lord that sucks. But, a bitter-sweet ending all the same.

Man, this is so darn cute. I Yeah-ed it a thousand times. YEAH.
zlCfzSxoUbkkO6VdiG

Blues1990

Man, this is so darn cute. I Yeah-ed it a thousand times. YEAH.
zlCfzSxoUbkkO6VdiG

I really love these ones, but his whole feed is pretty fantastic:

"Well, you could barely get your breasts in there in the first place"
zlCfzSvdcrAE8Djxcz

"At this rate, she will soon have to rename herself as 'Wii Fat Trainer'."
zlCfzSva4Vc8qGcM_n

"This particular mask transformation would be pretty cool in the 3DS remake."
zlCfzSt9f649tO4HXX

"HI! *BOOM!*"
zlCfzSuMI2gmSKGkHN

"This is no time for cuteness, young lady!"
zlCfzSaGKysV2RRx0w

OmegaFax

This game's so incredibly charming. It reminds me of Luigi's Mansion in that it takes a familiar character and takes the gameplay in a different direction.

zroid

Banned
yyeeeeeeessssssssssssss

literally the first time I made it to floor 30, I managed to keep the run alive and finish

no joke if I died on 45 or something I was ready to eject the disc and shelve it :lol

isf9mcOKH04H4.jpg

Also, the results are in:

jbenSKFCfOXPv3.jpg

Does anyone have any HINTS as to how to get 220 coins on Book 3 #28, Wingo's Whackdown?

I got the gold mushroom towards the start and I end up with about 192 coins....I don't see any more. I've tried blowing to reveal anything hidden but I feel I'm missing a lot!

jariw

I still don't think anything special.

Think it will just allow you to manually unlock those "More Coins" stages that randomly pop up from time to time

If the amiibos would only do that, they could easily have included it in the original game, rather than promise amiibo support in a future update?

KooopaKid

Banned
Thanks to the early release, I will probably have to update my GOTY Top 10. Finished book 2. It's so charming. They really improved the controls compared to SM3DW.

zroid

Banned
Does anyone have any HINTS as to how to get 220 coins on Book 3 #28, Wingo's Whackdown?

I got the gold mushroom towards the start and I end up with about 192 coins....I don't see any more. I've tried blowing to reveal anything hidden but I feel I'm missing a lot!

There is a second gold mushroom on that level

tauroxd

That is a bummer. I think I'm at about 40 hours already. Still can play quite a bit more as I've got a bunch of Time Challenges left.

And that's where my "fuck reviews" stance comes from.

Also, the results are in:

jbenSKFCfOXPv3.jpg

So, I'm in the troop that thinks this game is short, and he reviews out there say so... Came into the thread to look for confirmation on that matter... It seems that I should buy it...

Another thing, is it playable 100% in Off-TV?

Top Bottom