• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 stuck in a disc eject mode? (Having the worst console luck...)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sorry to make a thread on this... But I'm extremely frustrated. This is already my third ps4- the first two being launch shipment duds, Sony sent me two broken ones in a row last year. This being the third, but no issues till now.

So, no idea what is causing this now - I've been traveling for over 10 days or so with the holidays, I get home and go to boot up my ps4 (been unplugged since ive been out of the house) and after it starts up, it spits out my Dragon Age disc. And now on even intervals, it keeps making the disc ejection noise. And wont take any discs. Even if their is no disc in it at boot, it just every 15 sec or so, tries to eject a disc. There isn't one in there and I can't put one in there, it won't accept anything.

Even when I select a downloaded game, which will play, the console still makes the "disc ejecting" motor sound every 15 sec or so. Super frustrated, no idea why it's happening. I'm 60 hours into Dragon Age, had no alone time in two weeks, and this is what greets me. Sigh.

Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance... (I realize this might be a little funny coming from me but hey, sometimes a guy just wants to game in peace and I'm not as much a hardware wiz :)...)

Maybe run an alcohol wipe over the eject button just to remove any debris or anything that may be causing the button to respond?

Sorry to say this, but you need to get it replaced again. It was an issue with early models which has since been sorted out in later batches.
People may come in here telling you a bunch of things they tried that apparently remedied the issue but none of them worked for me.

Anjin M

I have this happen occasionally. I've found in my case that the runner it sits on is messing with the eject button. Just need to straighten it out and everything works again.

Pretty specific, but there you go.

John Harker

Open up the HDD slot and screw in the screws tighter.

Will that invalidate my warranty or anything?
I'm willing to try eveything posted, just don't want to ruin my right to a free replacement if it's a manufacture issue as suggested by someone above

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dumb question, but are you on the latest firmware? Some tricky disc eject nonsense in the 2.00 firmware a few weeks back.

NateDrake

I have been suffering from the same PS4 issue. I unplug it and it usually fixes it for a short time. My system is out of warranty at this point & I refuse to pay whatever outrageous fee Sony will charge.

pastrami

Will that invalidate my warranty or anything?
I'm willing to try eveything posted, just don't want to ruin my right to a free replacement if it's a manufacture issue as suggested by someone above

The glossy plastic part pops off and the HDD is under it. Very easy to get to.

I had this happen to me a couple months ago. Unplugging the console for several minutes fixed my problem. At least, for the moment *knock on wood*.

lone2k

Neo Member
I had this problem. The eject "button" is a long strip of material that for some crazy reason wraps under the front of the console. So something under the console was gently pushing up and causing it to constantly eject. If this doesn't work, then try discharging the system by unplugging it and pushing the power button to try and turn it on.

T-0800

Here is the solution to your problem.

Unplug the power cord from the back of your PS4. Wait a few minutes and plug it back in. Just turning off the power at the wall won't work.

Works for me. Usually have to do that once a month.

Unplug the power cord from the back of your PS4. Wait a few minutes and plug it back in. Just turning off the power at the wall won't work.

Yep. This is what I do when it gets super annoying (and I can be bothered). My entire library is digital, though, so it's not much of a problem for me; and it usually fixes itself. I can imagine the random spewing of discs to be quite aggravating.

Frosted

This is what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks. I unplug everything from my PS4, EVERYTHING!!!!!!. Then I press the power button until it stops beeping and has no power. I wait for a couple of hours before I connect everything back and play. Sometimes it doesn't work so I do a .... Rebuild database and it seems to work sometimes. I also raised my PS4 from the table surface with 4 water bottle caps and I also pulled off that little rubber feet that connects to the eject button. Good luck friends.

John Harker

UPDATE.

Ahh, a reminder why I still love this place sometimes.
I did everything posted so far (besides the powering down and unplugging, which I had done for like an hour already and it was Unplugged the two weeks I was gone). It's working!! (for now? For good?)

TURNS OUT: at least from what I could tell, the little rubber foot under the ps4 that for some reason rests right under the eject button was in fact "riding up" on the eject button, like was mentioned above. I peeled it back. And then my ps4 is now resting on two dvd cases like in th video posted above, to prevent that little rubber nub from brushing against the eject button again.

What a silly, stupid design oversight. Though, I hope this does fix it for good so I don't have to send it back yet again.... I'll keep Ya posts but big thank you!

UPDATE.

Ahh, a reminder why I still love this place sometimes.
I did everything posted so far (besides the powering down and unplugging, which I had done for like an hour already and it was Unplugged the two weeks I was gone). It's working!! (for now? For good?)

TURNS OUT: at least from what I could tell, the little rubber foot under the ps4 that for some reason rests right under the eject button was in fact "riding up" on the eject button, like was mentioned above. I peeled it back. And then my ps4 is now resting on two dvd cases like in th video posted above, to prevent that little rubber nub from brushing against the eject button again.

What a silly, stupid design oversight. Though, I hope this does fix it for good so I don't have to send it back yet again.... I'll keep Ya posts but big thank you!

I actually chopped the end of that rubber stopper off and I still ended up having the issue. Hope you have better luck with it.

John Harker

I actually chopped the end of that rubber stopper off and I still ended up having the issue. Hope you have better luck with it.

Ugh. So did you end up sending it back with no issue? I'm a little worried since it's over a year for me now

NateDrake

Ugh. So did you end up sending it back with no issue? I'm a little worried since it's over a year for me now

If the issue continues to present itself for my PS4, I have thought about trading it in to GameStop for the $275 trade-in price and then use store credit from games to just buy a new PS4. I refuse to pay Sony a replacement/fix fee.

mikenoob

Neo Member
If you're out of warranty, try the scratch the gold plate fix. Lots of people have reported this to be the only way to fix it. Every other solution posted here is just temporary.

HeeHo

It happened to me once. I woke up and my Watch_Dogs was just sitting there ejected and the console was in Stand By mode. It acted exactly as you described and wouldn't take anything after that. The advice I took that worked was to unplug the console all of the way from the outlet and wait like 30 mins. I don't recall if I had to hold the power button for 5 seconds when I turned it back on but try that too.

As a precaution, I also moved my ps4 more out over the edge of my TV stand so the eject button wasn't pressing against the base of the stand. I have it just a little over the edge of the stand and it's worked fine.

mikenoob

Neo Member
And what's that?

It's pretty simple to do. what you need is a Torx T9 security screwdriver to open up the back of the PS4. I got one for £4 off Amazon.

You turn the PS4 upside down. Take off the 4 screws off on the back with the T9. Lift off the bottom of the PS4. Turn it around. At the front there is a small motherboard connected to the drive. On this motherboard is a small gold plate. Use a small sharp knife to rub some scratches onto the plate. Put it all back together and it's fixed. There are no cons to doing this. Apart from voiding your warranty of course.

This is just copy pasted from the playstation forums. You can either cover the gold plate with tape, but that renders the phyiscal button useless or you can scratch it leaving the physical button usable. It's supposedly caused by the sensor being too sensitive.

EDIT: Here's a video, http://youtu.be/vppmVpwWaco

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
You've gotta send it in man. Mine has had it forever and I've tried everything possible to fix it, but they've all been short-term fixes.

//ARCANUM

If the issue continues to present itself for my PS4, I have thought about trading it in to GameStop for the $275 trade-in price and then use store credit from games to just buy a new PS4. I refuse to pay Sony a replacement/fix fee.

Be prepared for a bunch of people telling you that you're "committing fraud! Omg you suck youre a bad person I hate you"

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I unplugged the system overnight and had zero problems with it when I plugged it back in. I was expecting to tighten a screw like some have suggested, but completely powering it off did the trick for me. Good luck getting this problem fixed.

Had this happen to me on my launch model. I just played with the screw to manually eject a disk and turned it then back to where it was and haven't had a problem since and that was about 2 months ago.

DOWN

Banned
The fix for me was

Power Off

Looking at the slot, rotate it up and back way from you until you get it almost upside down. This relieves the pressure of the internals sitting on the eject mechanism. Ipsolves it for me after I've moved it around to other locations in the house and have the ejection issue.

stryke

Don't know how you can put up with that. Is it because you're out of the warranty period now?

vesvci

Banned
Cane in kind of late to the thread, but this happened to me once as well. As someone mentioned before unplugging it for A few minutes fixed the issue. It was weird, but I haven't encountered it again.

Garuda1One

this happened to me once, unplugged your console then press then hold the power button until it beep, do it again until its stopped beeping..

am i late ?

Don Lapre

Just FYI, mine is doing the same thing. I went through the warranty process on sonys site and its still showing it as under warranty (launch unit). So its worth going through sonys site to see if it will be covered. Guess i have a return box on the way now.

People who are saying you definitely need it repaired are wrong so take everything you see here with a grain of salt and remember it's not guaranteed how your system will behave. With that said, I had this issue last December and after unplugging the system for 5 minutes it's not happened again in over a year. Hopefully your results will be similar.

Nicktendo86

Having just getting a ps4 at Christmas GAF terrifies me, doesn't seem like a week passes without another thread about hardware issues.

Lurchio

Mine did this about 2 months after ps4 launched,used a can of compressed air around the eject button and hasn't happened since.

Oxn

Having just getting a ps4 at Christmas GAF terrifies me, doesn't seem like a week passes without another thread about hardware issues.

I know, mine is working so great right now, and I just hooked it up a few days ago. Its quiet, it doesnt wobble, no eject issues.

Make me scared of buying physical games.

BibiMaghoo

I've had this once. Pulling the cable after a full shutdown and leaving it for about ten minutes did the job, never had the issue since and this was months ago.

Gindor

Banned
I know, mine is working so great right now, and I just hooked it up a few days ago. Its quiet, it doesnt wobble, no eject issues.

Make me scared of buying physical games.

It never wobbles, not a single ps4 does. It was just a joke because you can press one side down as it only has legs on one side and the center (which is a design choice). Some lamers made the lame joke of #wobblegate and the haters must have believed it and picked it up :p

I've had this happen multiple times in the last month. Launch console. Doing a hard-reset does the trick. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on the performance of the console.

Top Bottom