• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

okay. i'm hiding exact numbers in random linked pokemon videos next month.

this month i'm too damn busy. the gfk group can deal.

ps4 - 1.07 million

hi chartz
neogaf is more fun <3

And what happened to Vita, lol
its-dead-jim.jpg

As a Vita fan, I have accepted its fate in US and moved on :(

jeremy1456

I'm very happy that the Wii U is doing better.

Xbox One doing better than the PS4 was a pretty easy prediction, and I think for most future NPD results it's not out of the question.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The simple explanation is that one of them fits Nintendo's audience like a glove, vs the other being a more niche and complex offering. Toad's been in multi-million selling games so it's not as if Nintendo fans are unaware of the character, leading to further exposure and more sales.

Thanks for your answers everyone.

But I ask myself if the title were offered on other platforms would Bayonetta 2 have under performed as much?

I mean the value proposition was great, Bayonetta 1 & 2 included for the price of 1 and on 2 discs - great value, but alas it was not adopted by the Wii U fanbase.

I guess the answer is to double down on internal software and create an ecosystem where it fits the perceived Nintendo audience as oppose to try and maybe, expand their reach.

Or maybe instead secure third-party games a la Capcom with Resident Evil & Monster Hunter and bring that audience to that platform?

Good to see both PS4 and Xbone over 1 million with still relatively high price points. When both get under $300 we could see some amazing sales.

Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

DKC: > 440k
Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k

hey, maybe Tropical Freeze will limp over the 1 million line eventually

also not bad for Bravely Default and Fantasy Life, though I dunno what PVP is

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Musou ~ 370k

Musou Zelda did great; most likely 400k with digital sales - Koei Tecmo must be pleased.

Donkey Kong is going to struggle to reach 1 million WW with Japan only at 100k ;.;

What about Pokemon? If we still consider Japan a significant part of the market FIFA and CoD aren't exactly huge there.
It's significant. But in the same way the UK or Germany are significant parts of the global market. Not as a comparable region to like NA and EU the way it used to be viewed.

Also, COD has been doing okay there in recent years.

synce

Kids and families first.

That would be the wrong message, but you're probably right.

I can say that personally I didn't buy Bayo 2 because it looked exactly like Bayo 1, and that's not worth $60 today given what else is on the market and my backlog.

So that's one problem with the game. Another problem: the name. Terrible idea to put a "2" in the title of something that's never been on a Nintendo console before, even if it includes the original game, ESPECIALLY if you're not going to advertise the game (yet another problem).

I'm curious why Nintendo keeps funding these M-rated games when they never even try to advertise them. It's like they feel obligated to have "cool" non-kiddy games, but are ashamed or don't want to be associated with them. Well no shit they won't sell in that case. I feel bad for Itagaki and Devil's Third, it will certainly tank

LOCK

Guys this was a great month. Software is probably up YOY if you include digital. Nintendo did great. TOAD DID AWESOME.

I'm optimistic about the next year. :)

slit

to put things one way, the n64 was only slightly less successful than the super nes in the united states. the gamecube was a little more than half as successful as the n64. the wii u will be about half as successful as the gamecube.

I don't think that will pan out to be true. GC sold about 22 million WW. That would mean Wii-U would have to top out around 11 million WW. Unless Nintendo releases a new console next year, I think it'll do somewhat better than 11 million.

C4Lukins

It would do nothing to help them. The console is dead outside the US/UK

The WW gap is probably heading towards 10 million soon

Well you sort of sound like a crazy person, but I will respond to you. The Xbox One is not dead in every country outside of the US and UK, it is just not winning. Just about in every European country, new releases chart just behind PS4 releases. It is not like they do not show up at all.

Your fantasy of a Sony utopia, where Cerny is tickiling your nose hairs with his tongue, upon a giant floating marshmellow may well come, but lets give it a few months. No need to go so strong, reveal your hand and so on.

I've only been kinda keeping any eye on this thread, has there been any hint at all as to how much the 3DS sold other than a pie chart with no number context?

sörine

Banned
I don't think that will pan out to be true. GC sold about 22 million WW. That would mean WIIU would have to top out around 11 million WW. Unless Nintendo releases a new console next year, I think it'll do somewhat better than 11 million.
He's talking US only, not worldwide.

Square2015

Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k