• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Mortal Kombat (webseries)

Aku-Audi

Couldn't see any mention of this on GAF anywhere, but there's a website called MK Secrets that have been producing their own unofficial historical webseries detailing all things Mortal Kombat, from development to merchandising and story canon. It's still ongoing and has been running since 2011 apparently (I just found out about it yesterday). There's some annoyances throughout, like the narration synthesizer that can be a bit wonky at times and some opinions being presented as facts of dubious nature, but all in all I found it to have pretty good production values and tons of interesting footage and kontent.

The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 01 - The Beginning (Mortal Kombat I)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 02 - Nothing Can Prepare You for This (Mortal Kombat II)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 03 - There is no Knowledge that is not Power (Mortal Kombat 3 / UMK3)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 04 - The Year of Mortal Kombat and Beyond (Mortal Kombat The Movie / MK Live Tour / MK Trilogy / Defenders or the Realm)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 05 - Darkness Is Calling (MK Mythologies / Mortal Kombat 4)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 06 - Soul of a Warrior (Mortal Kombat Conquest / Mortal Kombat Gold / Mortal Kombat Annihilation)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 07 - Descent into the Underworld (Mortal Kombat: Special Forces / Mortal Kombat: Federation of Martial Arts / Mortal Kombat: Advance)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 08 - A Deadly Alliance (MK Deadly Alliance / MK Tournament Edition)
The History Of Mortal Kombat: Episode 09 - Deception, It's in Us All (MK Deception)

I enjoyed the Special Forces episode particularly, but that's due to my own facination with that game's history. In fact one of my first assignments in game journo was to write a blurb about that upcoming game as an intern. All I was told was that it was a Tomb Raider knock off and I should write something about how MK sucks. I remained a bit more neutral in my approach, I recall.

The site itself offers downloadable versions, some of which have some fixed audio issues from the Youtube versions. http://www.mksecrets.net/

There's also a short series by the same guys surrounding rumors and undiscovered secrets to MK called Mortal Kombat Haziness

Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 1
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 2
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 3
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 4
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 5
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 6
Mortal Kombat Haziness - Volume 7

Extra videos detailing MK history:

History of Mortal Kombat (MK Deception Bonus DVD)
History of Mortal Kombat: Character Backgrounds (MK Deception Bonus DVD)
History of Mortal Kombat: Fatalities (MK Armageddon Bonus DVD)

Into The Outworld: Behind the Scenes of Mortal Kombat 3
Behind the Scenes: MK Mythologies
Behind the Scenes: MK Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Behind the Dragon (Making of Mortal Kombat The Movie)
Mortal Kombat: A Journey Behind the Scenes (Mortal Kombat The Movie)
Behind The Scenes: Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Mortal Kombat: 20th Anniversary (Gamespot)
The History of Mortal Kombat (Gamespot 2011)

GameTrailers Retrospective: Mortal Kombat (Part 1)
GameTrailers Retrospective: Mortal Kombat (Part 2)

Making of Mortal Kombat (GamesMaster TV segment)
G4 Icons: Mortal Kombat

Book of Swords trailer (Film starring Ho Sung Pak, Daniel Pesina, Richard Divizio and Katalin Zamiar of MKII fame)

doemaaan

WOW.. I was looking for something similar on Street Fighter yesterday. Haven't had a chance to watch anything. I'll start with this tho. Nice post.

biteren

id recommend this hardcore for both MK fans, Fighting game fans, and general video game history, incredibly interesting!

go back to a time where Mortal Kombat ruled the world....

Aku-Audi

...they really couldn't get someone to record some actual narration?

Yeah it takes a bit away from the overall production, but it seems to get better towards the latter part of the series. English is probably not the first language for the people who make this show.

Aku-Audi

I miss the live action cutscenes from MK Mythologies. Wish they actually went through with those HD remakes of 1-2-3.

Though Raiden looks....yeah
2vaZtc8.png

Shaanyboi

Banned
man... some of the editorializing in the script is pretty jarring. Not to mention the numerous spelling errors that actually fuck up the text-to-speech narrator.

Whoah I always though MK Gold was a perfect Arcade port, that's a shame. I didn't knew it was a Dreamcast launch title neither, this is very informative.

IvorB

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, OP. It actually inspired me to fire up my PS3 and clear a few more MK9 story levels so that's all good.

IvorB

man... some of the editorializing in the script is pretty jarring. Not to mention the numerous spelling errors that actually fuck up the text-to-speech narrator.

Oh was that not a real human being speaking? That does explain a lot...

just watched the nine part series over the past 2 days. was interesting and really i didnt keep up with MK after the arcade games so there was a lot of stuff i didnt know.

So hyped for MKX. Used my spare time yesterday to look up hi-res artwork for an Mk themed stick design...instead of writing my 5 page paper lol. Seen the deception and Armageddon extras, but not the mksecrets videos.

Gotta start reading into the lore again too. Fucking MK man.

Tevious

Just watched this series. Lots of old memories. I remember that exact same magazine article about Ermac in MK1 and trying to get him to appear by getting double flawless with only punches in the statue room on the console versions. I remember watching Mortal Kombat: Conquest on TV too. I just looked it up and its getting a new DVD release March 31st.

I was a bit disappointed with MK4 and quit playing the series afterward until MK9. Interesting to see the direction they took with MK5 (Deadly Alliance) and MK6 (Deception). Too bad there's no part 10-12 for Armageddon, Shaolin Monks, and MK vs DC. I'm probably one of the few people that enjoyed MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero. Special Forces was awful, though. I remember it being ridiculously hard too.

Aku-Audi

Just watched this series. Lots of old memories. I remember that exact same magazine article about Ermac in MK1 and trying to get him to appear by getting double flawless with only punches in the statue room on the console versions. I remember watching Mortal Kombat: Conquest on TV too. I just looked it up and its getting a new DVD release March 31st.

I was a bit disappointed with MK4 and quit playing the series afterward until MK9. Interesting to see the direction they took with MK5 (Deadly Alliance) and MK6 (Deception). Too bad there's no part 10-12 for Armageddon, Shaolin Monks, and MK vs DC. I'm probably one of the few people that enjoyed MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero. Special Forces was awful, though. I remember it being ridiculously hard too.

Mortal Kombat Conquest is a surprisingly good series, really good fight choreography and compotent dramatic elements. I remember watching it after WCW Nitro a few times but being burnt out on MK at that time, but rewatching it now it actually holds up really well. I still enjoy Mythologies despite its blemishes. Really fun FMV cutscenes and some cool stages near the end.

Do yourself a favor and play Shaolin Monks if you haven't yet. One of the best.

Episode 10 is koming "very soon" apparently.

ksdixon

Ironically enough there was a Game Genie code for MK1 which turned SubZero completely black (Noob Saibot). Funny how that would play into the series later on.

Jaeger

Very cool. On episode 4 now. Enjoying it very much. I am pretty knowledgeable about this series I'd say, but I'm learning tons of new stuff watching these.

Nemesis_

I had no idea the voice was synthesised. I just though English was their second language and the accent was really thick as a result, whatever it was ._.

But yeah I love this series. It's so crazy to see just how big Mortal Kombat was in a time when games were arguably less of a deal as they are today. A touring troupe of martial artists? A TV show you could visit and WATCH BEING FILMED? Seemed like such a dream for someone like me who didn't grow up in America but loved Mortal Kombat.

I feel like the idea of this kind of widespread cross promotion is somewhat dead now.

But I wish they'd finish the series. I rewatch them from time to time.

Toxi

Banned
Man, it's strange how much effort they put into the storyline of Mortal Kombat. A game like Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero would never have been made for another fighting game franchise.

Skunkers

Man, it's strange how much effort they put into the storyline of Mortal Kombat. A game like Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero would never have been made for another fighting game franchise.

Not entirely true. There was Death By Degrees starring Nina Williams. You could count the Ninja Gaiden series by Team Ninja technically too, though it would be cheating.

RAIDEN1

It'd be good if they had a MK secrets documentary on why the MK HD-Re-release never came about, instead we got the bare bones Arcade Kollection, and even that apparently wasn't totally arcade-perfect!

shuri

Banned
It'd be good if they had a MK secrets documentary on why the MK HD-Re-release never came about, instead we got the bare bones Arcade Kollection, and even that apparently wasn't totally arcade-perfect!
Ed Boon mentionned that he would love to talk about the drama that happened behind the scene related to this, but can't because of NDAs. It really sounded like some serious shit happened.

I guess we will have to settle for those leaked screenshots from a couple years ago :(

Top Bottom