• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(A) Road to E3, if Possible

This is one of my "dreams", going to E3 and PAX mostly. I currently live on the other side of the world, so it would have to be something very well planned, maybe a few years from now ill be able to really think about it. But it would be an experience I wouldnt forget for sure.

StillEdge

I don't know why everyone is complaining and saying it's a better experience at home. This will be my 5th year and as a person who doesn't work in the industry or journalism it is plenty of fun. All the cool exclusive shit you get is worth it alone. Me and a few friends were the first group to play Destiny last year at e3 and we all got some cool shirts for it. I've met plenty of cool celebrities there too, last year Childish Gambino was there and when I tried to talk to him the blonde girl from Community told us they were busy -_-. Two years ago Disney put on a private Snoop Dogg performance for a few of us it had to of been 200 people max. Anyways what I am getting at the people who are saying it's not fun were probably there on strictly business and didn't get to enjoy it like a comic-con type deal. If anyone is in southern California and it is their dream to go, but not worth 900$(I don't even think the food I eat half the time is worth how much I paid) PM me I can get you in.

To add to all of that my favorite piece of "swag" I've gotten was last year Phil Spencer gave me a really cool Xbox one backpack.

Take him to PAX Prime, especially if you can swing taking him on the Monday or Friday since lines are typically shorter and the convention center is less packed. It definitely had a big export vibe and you get direct access with tons of industry members. Your son would be able to talk to a number of indie developers as well as enjoy the "big expo" feel of a decked out conference hall. I had to miss last year but in 2013 Sony, MS, and Nintendo all had sizeable booths for the new consoles.

Plus it's cheap and you get to enjoy the beauty of sunny Seattle. Would probably be a better experience overall for your family than dealing with LA and E3.

If you decide to do Seattle and PAX I would be more than happy to give you some tips to plan your trip, where to stay, what to do, etc.

Cyrano

Yeah, to be frank, E3 just isn't that interesting. There's interesting stuff happening around E3 but E3 itself isn't going to be anything other than what you're seeing on streams nowadays.

Would recommend PAX or NYCC, depending on interest. SDCC, while large, is anything but fun due to there never being enough space for attendees. Events that get too big just become a pain because actually doing stuff is going to be limited (at best!) to meeting smaller groups that are less prominent. Any of the big stuff just means waiting in lines for a LONG time (unless you have some form of special access).

More importantly: what is it that you're looking forward to seeing at E3 (or your son)? I can't think of any big stuff right now that I want to see from major corporations.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah, to be frank, E3 just isn't that interesting. There's interesting stuff happening around E3 but E3 itself isn't going to be anything other than what you're seeing on streams nowadays.

Would recommend PAX or NYCC, depending on interest. SDCC, while large, is anything but fun due to there never being enough space for attendees. Events that get too big just become a pain because actually doing stuff is going to be limited (at best!) to meeting smaller groups that are less prominent. Any of the big stuff just means waiting in lines for a LONG time (unless you have some form of special access).

More importantly: what is it that you're looking forward to seeing at E3 (or your son)? I can't think of any big stuff right now that I want to see from major corporations.

Nycc? Haha be reasonable. I've thrown events at Nycc for years and even we consider it a big afterthought. It's the most family focused and casual comic show out there, it's not a primary gaming event.

Normally I agree and recommend PAX at every turn for consumers. But if your son or anyone young is genuinely interested in sweating and bleeding and being a part of the industry, e3 is 100% the place to hustle or network or cheat or whatever your way into. It's NA's biggest industry trade show, having some visibility into what the relationship is like with retail and secondary, the press, is valuable to experience

Cyrano

Nycc? Haha be reasonable. I've thrown events at Nycc for years and even we consider it a big afterthought. It's the most family focused and casual comic show out there, it's not a primary gaming event.
You're right but that's the reason I would recommend it. It's friendly to people with a passing interest and there's a community you can actually dig into. The pace is slower and more friendly. I'm not really a fan of the business-ification of conventions. There's a loss of the human element that frustrates the hell out of me at these things. Though thinking on it, I should have recommended MAGFest over any of the previous recommendations I made.
Normally I agree and recommend PAX at every turn for consumers. But if your son or anyone young is genuinely interested in sweating and bleeding and being a part of the industry, e3 is 100% the place to hustle or network or cheat or whatever your way into. It's NA's biggest industry trade show, having some visibility into what the relationship is like with retail and secondary, the press, is valuable to experience
I would never recommend someone to get into the gaming industry unless it's something they are already doing, likely as a pastime. Mostly because once it becomes something beyond a pastime, you have to REALLY love it to not get burnt out on it. Especially if your interest is to join in on the bigger scene. Because more than any other scene, it's like high school but worse in a lot of ways. Though I admittedly only had about five years of experience with it, so your mileage may vary.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You're right but that's the reason I would recommend it. It's friendly to people with a passing interest and there's a community you can actually dig into. The pace is slower and more friendly. I'm not really a fan of the business-ification of conventions. There's a loss of the human element that frustrates the hell out of me at these things. Though thinking on it, I should have recommended MAGFest over any of the previous recommendations I made.

I would never recommend someone to get into the gaming industry unless it's something they are already doing, likely as a pastime. Mostly because once it becomes something beyond a pastime, you have to REALLY love it to not get burnt out on it. Especially if your interest is to join in on the bigger scene. Because more than any other scene, it's like high school but worse in a lot of ways. Though I admittedly only had about five years of experience with it, so your mileage may vary.

Oh don't get me wrong, I appreciate your perspective.
I should clarify: I meant it more as, go so you can see the real side of it. The vast majority of the staff inside the "video game industry" - like all industries - work there because it's a job. It's key to remember that. It's a job. It has a lot of shitty days involved. It's no more magical than being an accountant, really. It's work. It's not even about passion after a few years. I think e3 is a good place to get a reality check, to see the amount of sheer work and planning it takes to make an impact with retailers and press. The amount of money it takes to break thru. The amount of strategic planning. The types of personalities and egos you'd have to work with daily. The fluff and the noise. And also the glitz and glamour. So from that perspective, when I first started 10 years ago attending as a random intern, I didnt play anything: I listened and I learned. And I chose it. It just gives you perspective, if you put your ear to the ground.

That's the part of the OP that really resonated with me.
If it'd about good family bonding time primarily, FOR SURE PAX and SDCC are better options. I'd only recommend NYCC tho If you live in th Tristate Area. Little known fact: it has zero affiliation with SDCC, it's really a separate small event

Cyrano

Oh don't get me wrong, I appreciate your perspective.
I should clarify: I meant it more as, go so you can see the real side of it. The vast majority of the staff inside the "video game industry" - like all industries - work there because it's a job. It's key to remember that. It's a job. It has a lot of shitty days involved. It's no more magical than being an accountant, really. It's work. It's not even about passion after a few years. I think e3 is a good place to get a reality check, to see the amount of sheer work and planning it takes to make an impact with retailers and press. The amount of money it takes to break thru. The amount of strategic planning. The types of personalities and egos you'd have to work with daily. The fluff and the noise. And also the glitz and glamour. So from that perspective, when I first started 10 years ago attending as a random intern, I didnt play anything: I listened and I learned. And I chose it. It just gives you perspective, if you put your ear to the ground.

That's the part of the OP that really resonated with me.
If it'd about good family bonding time primarily, FOR SURE PAX and SDCC are better options. I'd only recommend NYCC tho If you live in th Tristate Area. Little known fact: it has zero affiliation with SDCC, it's really a separate small event
I can respect that. Nice post.

Top Bottom