• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must play PC Exclusive games from the late 90s to 00s?

ElTopo

Banned
blood-pc.jpg

Purkake4

Banned
World in Conflict is an awesome real time tactical-strategy game with lots of ways to blow things up and still looks pretty good.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is a pretty cool space combat-strategy game.

Spellforce 2 is a fun RTS/RPG hybrid.
Yup, it's as close as you're going to get to tactical space combat game. It's got pretty graphics, really detailed modular damage, ECM and other awesome stuff. Really sad that the kickstarter for the sequel failed.

Sesha

I'm tempted to say, all of them? Late 90s was like a mini-Golden Age for PC games.

Play Neverhood and LBA2, because not enough people are gonna recommend them.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Released in 2003 but I loved Vietcong when it came out, the jungle felt real to me and the multi player just felt so good when it came out. To me anyway.

Green Yoshi

Outcast (available on GOG and Steam)
System Shock 2 (available on GOG and Steam)
Curse of Monkey Island (runs fine with ScummVM)
Thief (available on GOG and Steam)
WarCraft III (available on Blizzard.com)

Personally, I wouldnt recommend too many fps as they show their age quite a lot.

Another few:

Spellcross
Homeworld 2
Fallout: Tactics (holds up really well imo)

Die By The Sword (1998).

Severance_-_Blade_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

I know I already posted about this game, but I have to reiterate: IT IS FUCKING AWESOME.

I know a lot of games get compared to the Souls series nowadays, but this game seems like an almost direct influence on that series. The combat is STELLAR, and it plays so well with a keyboard and mouse. The graphics are unbelievably good even today; I can't imagine what people thought when they played it back in 2001.

God, it's so underappreciated (even in this thread).

Oh boy you two have brought some memories flooding back with Die by the Sword and Severence.

Both are awesome and the combat was brutal. Violent battles where the enemies were actually dangerous, severed limbs, etc.

Good times.

Someone should just rip the game off and create a spiritual sequel, make it Tomb Raider x Legacy of Kain x Drakan. Perfect game right there. Talking dragon is a must.

Well, there is Drakan: The Ancients' Gates, which is a pretty good sequel. But it's also already 13 years old of course..

Anyway, the original Drakan on PC is one of my favorite games from that time. Recommended!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, there is Drakan: The Ancients' Gates, which is a pretty good sequel. But it's also already 13 years old of course..

Anyway, the original Drakan on PC is one of my favorite games from that time. Recommended!

I heard it wasn't very good? Or maybe the same pepole who disliked it didn't like the original. I should check it out, wonder how easy it is to get ahold of a copy and whether it runs in PCSX2 or not :p

I heard it wasn't very good? Or maybe the same pepole who disliked it didn't like the original.

I think quite some fans weren't happy that it went from being PC exclusive to PS2 exclusive (probably wasn't a wise decision).

The game itself is pretty similar to the first one. All the mechanics were left intact with some small additions like a simple experience and magic system. Graphics are a step up in terms of model and world detail at least, but it's certainly not a showcase for best graphics on PS2. The controls may need a bit time to get used to if you're accustomed to the quicker keyboard/mouse setup on PC.
What's a bit sad is that the ending seemed to be designed for another sequel and is missing a satisfying conclusion (iirc, replaying it right now :)).

It runs in PCSX2 btw. Flawlessly in software mode and with some small glitches in hardware mode (like sun flickering around/shining through geometry).

derExperte

itt we pretend ps2 didn't exist.

Nothing wrong with that when it comes to these games.

The remake is Super Wing Commander, and it made the original game feel more in-line with Wing Commander 3. Wing Commander 3 also appeared on the 3DO. The 3DO, at the time, was known for these killer Wing Commander ports, as they were very much on par with the PC versions of the time. The 3DO even had a really good analog flight stick made especially for Wing Commander.

At least WC3 had to be severely cut down for the 3DO though.

Velurian

Here is a little gem - Silent Storm + Sentinels.
Awesome openended squad/turn based WW2 altenate history action. Silly plot, skilltree, ragdoll physics and an insanely open gameplay mechanic.

Also Disciples 2 + addons

itt we pretend ps2 didn't exist.

It is for the better that we pretend that the PS2 versions of Max Payne 1 and 2 don't exist. The OG Xbox had the only good home ports of those games, and it is a hassle to track down an Xbox 1.

The PS2 version of Half-Life 1 isn't bad. and there is also a leaked cancelled Dreamcast version that is 100% playable from start to finish. But of course the PC is the best way to play this.

Top Bottom