• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are overdue for a custom controller firmware update

It's an issue that most gamers have dealt with,
the lack of custom controller options in tons of games.

This has always been IMO the best thing about PC gaming,
programs like joytokey can completely customize any game pad
to whatever key you want or rearrange your buttons in any way you like.

I am not sure if it's possible but, all my love would go to the first console
that could give us with such a firmware update or alternative.

KyV2Kns.png

It would be the stuff of dreams.

side note:
I am bummed out about FFXV run button being L3 ;( unless is like dragons dogma click-able L3 solution :)

Arrrammis

True, but I think it would just be much easier and efficient for games to simply have fully remappable buttons in-game. I feel like it's completely ridiculous that so many "top of the line" games completely ignore this aspect. There are only a handful nowadays who allow button remapping. Others, like CoD or Destiny, have a few preset options that you have to choose from. Most games just flat out give you the controls and give you no options at all. It gets frustrating, to say the least, so I agree with you. Having an app available to remap the buttons outside of the game would work well, but the option should be inside the game rather than in a separate app.

It's exactly why we need this outside-game App for the ps4/xbo/wii U
because most developers ignore remappable buttons options.

i always had the idea for one of the console makers to make a programmable language integrated in the OS for the user to recongifure the controllers anyway they wanted to. This would be basically, the same system developers in say hypothetic console would use to map their control setup. The reason i think for such a language is for things that are more complex than a basic key mapping, like using gestures as input in motion or touch capable controllers.

The other thing i would love at OS level is sharing control input data, like what we had with PC games were one could see an entire playthrough of a game. Far better than streaming video in realtime and less bandwidth consuming, Disadvantage is that you'll need the software or game to see the playthrough.

GavinGT

Banned
CronusMax lets you remap any button on any controller. There are also other solutions for fully remappable buttons.

It would probably be a nightmare for a platform holder to implement such a feature. Very difficult to idiot-proof.

Magnus

Isn't this exactly what the new PS4 firmware is bringing to the table? System-level button remapping?

Mohasus

Please no, keep this shit to pc gaming.

I want an even playing field on consoles, I don't want to feel like someone else has an advantage because he/she found an optimal scheme.

I'm paying the developer already, I don't want to do their job, find the best setting for me and that's it.

KarmaCow

Every dev would need to make sure their UI for button prompts and tutorials also updated with the custom layout.

Even ignoring that people would fuck it up for themselves no matter what you do, it's already too late to implement this.

edit: and I'm an idiot because it is already is happening.

MUnited83

For you.

I want an even playing field on consoles, I don't want to feel like someone else has an advantage because he/she found an optimal scheme.

I'm paying the developer already, I don't want to do their job, find the best setting for me and that's it.

zEYQhBL.jpg

AlexBasch

Are you serious?

Can't even find a proper gif, so I'll just plain ask away.

It's a lifesaver for others that are disabled, it's secondary benefit is that all gamers can enjoy it.

Don't be so selfish.

Top Bottom