• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering the old Star Wars Games

wighti

Swtiefightercd.jpg

The moment when you get to fly with Vader. So good.

I have always had a soft spot for Dark Forces on PC:

Code:
[IMG]http://nostalgiagames.com.br/wp-content/uploads/full20040606144659.jpg[/IMG]

And of course Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II:

JediKnight-cover.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd have to say some of the more impressive games were on the SNES. I grew up with neighbors who owned the SW game on the NES, which it did intrigue me over Zelda in a way. I rented the SW series on SNES multiple times. To my surprise I never owned the games. I wish I would have because they were a lot of fun. I played a bit of Shadows of the Empire and Rogue Squadron on N64. Then I didn't really get to play another SW till Masters of Teras Kasi was out on PS1.

I liked KOTOR on Xbox as well. I wouldn't mind going back to play the PC versions now.

Force Unleashed wasn't my favorite, in fact I had a bad time with it. I even played the PS2 version, which IMO was hot garbage on many different levels. It had this weird bar and it did a lot of things differently.

Owning a nice gaming PC from 2006 and on I got to play more than I did on console. I bought a lot of titles that I'm still going to play someday.

Aladdin's Castle got in the huge Podracer arcade machine and I played that a few times. I can't say I liked the SW action titles on PS2. I thought those seemed different. I never liked obscure SW titles or when they try to do something mainstream. The SNES was a whole other story with major Japanese developers behind it.

252px-JediKnight-cover.jpg

The Dark Forces titles were great. I think they still hold up today. I got to play them way after their initial release, but they are impressive games. The 90s SW games are still some of the best games IMO. I picked up the X-Wing and Tie Fighter series recently. There's a huge debate between console and PC SW games.

Thought this was going to be about the SNES trilogy. Damn, I loved those games. For all I know though they were pure shite and it's pure nostalgia. I'm scared to revisit them.

Rebellion - a strategy game I enjoyed but apparently most people hated.
Star_wars_rebellion_box.png

Rebel Assault games were fun. I liked the gameplay variety and cutscenes.
250px-Swrebel1.jpg
200px-RAIIbox.jpg

Super ROTJ was the best game in its respective series.
20140702022419!Super_Return_of_the_Jedi_box_art.jpg

And I genuinely enjoyed Yoda Stories. It was always great for a short, casual gaming session. :)

I loved Rebellion.

Eggbok

My answer as well. Legendary game.

Also, Shadows of the Empire. Played the shit out of that as a kid.

SOTE-N64.png

SotE was my first Star Wars game, it was actually my first game as well lol.

Also loved many more, one of my favorites being Revenge of the Sith.

star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-20050428064333041-1104714_320w.jpg

The lightsaber combat was so satisfying, and the 2 player lightsaber dueling was awesome.

DarkPhoenix

Neo Member
I spend hours playing Star Wars: Battlegrounds and Jedi knight II they were everything.

More recently I loved The Force Unleashed but the second one was so messy and short.

Neff

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade > Star Wars Racer Arcade > Star Wars Arcade > Shadows of the Empire > Star Wars (Atari coin-op) > *

Haven't played the new Namco pod thing yet, but it looks hot.

does it have to be something good or just something I liked.

sswtsn005.jpg

I love this game.

I can't defend it, because it's pretty much goddamn terrible. But I love it all the same. Whole trilogy in fact.

Godcannon

Favorite is the SNES trilogy.

Power Battles was great with friends.

Tie fighter was something I wish I played more of.

I wish Masters of TK was better.

I was never big into Star Wars games, only have played a couple of them. I think Rouge Squadron was the game I enjoyed the most... I also have a soft spot for Shadows of the Empire, but that's mainly due to it being an early N64 game and the Hoth level.

Oh Episode1 Racer was really good back in the day.

SotE was my first Star Wars game, it was actually my first game as well lol.

Also loved many more, one of my favorites being Revenge of the Sith.

star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-20050428064333041-1104714_320w.jpg

The lightsaber combat was so satisfying, and the 2 player lightsaber dueling was awesome

My brother and I had quite a few battles in vs. mode. Good fun

Anyone remember this beautiful combo?

img_b1.jpg

Yes, I kind of liked Ep. 1 the game. What can I say, Star Wars was back!

Played Racer on the PC quite a bit; in fact, my bro and I were playing LAN games (maybe through a TCP/IPX workaround) up until a few years ago. Loved that game. I played through the single player mode of Racer on the N64. Very neat to see so many people like that game as much as I did. I loved the Pod Racing scenes in the movie too, screw the haters.

Randam

Have some fond memories of playing shadows of the Empire on n64 over at my friends house back in the 90s.
Especially the first level.
Battle of hoth.
Flying with a snow speeder, bringing down AT ATs.

Star Wars is a rare movie license that has really seen some wonderful and diverse work over the years. I've loved many dating back to the vector based arcade game but I have to say rogue leader for GameCube stands out as my favourite. It was just a perfect piece of code for that place and time.

Rogue-Squadron.gif

I'm still holding out for any kind of HD revisit.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
No love for Galactic Battlegrounds? Age of Empires 2 but chock full of Star Wars lore and expanded universe stuff. Love that game.

Some people still play Jedi Knight 2: Outcast [including myself]

The level of play [especially on CTF] these days is rediclously high.

Nudull

Banned
My brother and I had quite a few battles in vs. mode. Good fun

Anyone remember this beautiful combo?

img_b1.jpg

Yes, I kind of liked Ep. 1 the game. What can I say, Star Wars was back!

No, but I had this:

zUAgmZq.png

Lovely little bundle. Came with KOTOR 1, Empire at War, Republic Commando, Battlefront and Jedi Outcast.

Yoday

man, this game was the shit back in the day
Back in the day? It still is. It is a bit rough going back to the super low framerate N64 version, but its still a great game with a really fantastic upgrade system and blistering sense of speed. Just play it on PC or DC if possible.

Soon as my tax refund drops, I'll hopefully get the rest of the PC together and those Humble Bundle games are to be the christening titles. Finally get to go through the Jedi Knight trilogy.

But yeah, Yoda Stories was THE companion to StarCraft in my childhood. When the latter burnt me out, my cuz and I would go through Yoda Stories.

Other one's I remember playing and mostly enjoying:

Episode 1 Phantom Menace (PS1)
Episode 1 Jedi Power Battles (PS1)
Starfighter (PS2)
Jedi Starfighter (PS2)
Bounty Hunter (GCN)
KOTOR (XBOX)
KOTOR II The Sith Lords(XBOX)
Episode 1 Racer (N64)
Revenge of the Sith (DS)
Battle for Naboo (N64)
Rogue Leader (GCN)
Republic Commando (XBOX)
Obi-Wan (XBOX...not sure if I liked that one. Forgettable)
The Clone Wars (GCN I think)
New Droid Army (GBA)
Battlefront (XBOX)
Battlefront II (XBOX)
Galactic Battlegrounds (PC)
Empire at War (PC)
Trilogy Arcade (Arcade)
Demolition (PS1)

Emedan

Jedi Academy, oh goodness, a game that actually made you feel like a Jedi, progressing, getting stronger - cool kids go evil for the extra challenge at the last level, also - fuck Josh!

I also have fond memories of Dark Forces 2 playing as a kid

I love The Phantom Menace video game.

Yes, game play was utter shite, but I loved playing through that pseudo ARPG with FPS elements throughout the movie moments, but expanded into larger levels.

Playing as Qui-Gonn in Tattoine helping Anakin get his racer parts or as the Captain in Coruscant through the underside was fun.

I love The Phantom Menace video game.

Yes, game play was utter shite, but I loved playing through that pseudo ARPG with FPS elements throughout the movie moments, but expanded into larger levels.

Playing as Qui-Gonn in Tattoine helping Anakin get his racer parts or as the Captain in Coruscant through the underside was fun.
I always,killed the civilians on Tatoine lol. "Who ya gonna murder next Mister"?

Jedi_Outcast_pc_cover.jpg

I loved this game so much I would spend hours in multiplayer matches force pushing bots to their doom on Xbox.

Really excited for Battlefront tomorrow, and hopefully we'll see what Visceral is up to as well.

Kotor 1 and JK2 are the best SW games to me. Republic Commando was awesome too, but too bad you can only play it graphically downgraded on pc now (bump mapping is not working correctly on modern graphic cards)

Because of that I really which there would be Republic Commando HD Remaster

Top Bottom