• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PS4 releases in 2-3 months, gets upgraded to UE4

chadskin

The Astronauts' The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has been out on PC for a while now, but is on its way to PS4. We had a chat with creative director Adrian Chmielarz about the switch from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4 and the player feedback on the atmospheric adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrDDWHsWWI (beware: spoilers!)

• PS4 version out in 3-4 months from now (interview was conducted sometime in April)
  • PS4 version will run on Unreal Engine 4 while the already released PC version will get a free upgrade to UE4 some time after the PS4 release
  • The Astronauts will slightly tweak some aspects of the game in the PS4 version based on the PC players' feedback but Chmielarz promises to not "George Lucas the game"

S1kkZ

this has me really worried. every single ue4 game (from indies) on consoles runs like shit (sub 25 fps).

Hopefully Vanishing of Ethan Carter sets the bar a little higher than Daylight and Ether One (which is a broken mess of a game).

S1kkZ

Well, Epic did want 2.5tflops for console GPUs for full UE4 compatibility, right?

i cant believe the engine is THAT poorly optimised. ether one and deadlight look worse than most ue3 games and still run like shit.

either every indie developer using ue4 is incapable or ue4 on consoles is simply a mess (at this point). which would explain why we havent seen any "big" game using ue4 so far.

ue4 seems to be a great engine...on pc and arcades (tekken 7 looks fantastic).

shmoglish

Is Daylight the one with the camera phone?

Yup

daylight_008.jpg

Fuck yes!

Been waiting for this. Really looking forward to having this on PS4.

UE4 eh. Man, Epic has been getting tons of positive buzz with UE4. Looking to carve out a bit of time myself to get to work on that engine.

Vanishing, hurry up plox.

Edit - wait, on console its been running like ass? Hrm...that does not make me excited anymore. Wonder if the tools will be updated soon.

Also, isn't KH3 running off of UE4?!!! Don't fuck that up plz.

i cant believe the engine is THAT poorly optimised. ether one and deadlight look worse than most ue3 games and still run like shit.

either every indie developer using ue4 is incapable or ue4 on consoles is simply a mess (at this point). which would explain why we havent seen any "big" game using ue4 so far.

We have several big titles announced using it though. Fable Legends, for example, looks fine.

Dayligh and Ether One are low budget indies. There were shitty low budget UE3 titles too.

game starts awesome but got super, super annoying and unfun for a big part of the game. still interesting stories and concepts that i really liked.

This was a fantastic game. I'm sooooooooo glad more people will get to play it. I finished it twice. It was amazing.

Did anyone else find that astronaut sequence spooky?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the game is still a mess on ps4.
Is it? I spent five minutes with it and saw that it ran at ~60 fps with some minor dips. Much better than Daylight, at least.

The video clips run horribly though, for some reason.

There was a pretty large patch the other day. Not sure if it fixed whatever was broken.

Not enough. I only started it after downloading 1.02, got halfway through the game and then found my save had somehow been corrupted. I might go back to it in a few months, IF they actually fix it but right now it's a mess.

Even if you get rid of the gamebreaking bugs, it's still a technical mess. The framerate is all over the place and the screen tearing is really bad.

S1kkZ

Is it? I spent five minutes with it and saw that it ran at ~60 fps with some minor dips. Much better than Daylight, at least.

The video clips run horribly though, for some reason.

what? tried it on friday and the framerate had issues reaching 30 fps. game felt like a mess. was there a new update since then?

will download again tonight.

sector4

I read half this thread thinking of this as Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, why do I always get those two confused.

Anyway, pretty hyped for this, I've heard great things :)

Matty8787

Will UE4 version run better then UE3, was a great game and I finished it but would like to play it without the framerate dips.

chadskin

Cool, I wonder if they'll patch in Morpheus support later also?

I wouldn't be surprised, UE4 definitely supports it and it should be (much) easier to do than with UE3.

Hoping for an Xbone release shortly after. Have wanted to play this since release, but know that my PC would run it sub par.

Last I heard they mentioned a "healthy" exclusivity period on PS4, if it ever comes to XB1. Chmielarz isn't a fan of the indie parity clause.

Is upgrading to UE4 from UE3 an easy process? This seems like this would really delay the development process, but then again, idk what I'm talking about.

LiK

So is the look of game gonna be changed? Changing engines is always kinda weird to me for an update.

Hoje0308

Banned
the game is still a mess on ps4.

Are you in EU? The patch that's supposed to fix the most glaring issues isn't out in NA yet.

Edit: Just visited their Twitter page and it seems some bugs may carry over post patch, as the game "remembers" (quotes actually used by the dev/representative while describing the issues) the problems from saves that were created before the patch was released.

Top Bottom